Author Topic: Are religious pros lame?  (Read 32467 times)

Thrillho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 133
Re: Are religious pros lame?
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »
Yes.  Obviously science and facts are the only true religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disproved_mathematical_ideas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conjectures

"Hi, I can guesstimate theoretical situations that will never help anyone do anything ever so far in the theoretical future and past that they can't be disproven beyond a reasonable doubt. I just can't seem to step out of this chair."

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2014, 03:24:08 PM »
What a stupid thread, are religious people lame? No... so why would religious skaters be lame?

Bill

• Rep: -32
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »
I luv True Religion jeans...American Eagle & Hollister are so whack
Rule #1

Fashion Never Function

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »

"Hi, I can guesstimate theoretical situations that will never help anyone do anything ever so far in the theoretical future and past that they can't be disproven beyond a reasonable doubt. I just can't seem to step out of this chair."

Evangelical atheism

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 04:07:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Evangelical atheism

I seriously hope you see the irony in posting that.

Guess what happens in science, you come up with a model, test against it, others will test it in an effort to disprove it. If it is shown to be wrong it is discarded. Now obviously those mathematically models were discarded because they were shown to be incorrect by religion, oh no thats right, they were discarded because of more scientific investigation.

Now compare this to what happens with religion: This is a book with all the answers and no supporting evidence, it is the truth, because it says it is the truth, the end.

Steven Hawkins is a brilliant theoretical physicist by any measure, but has motor neuron disease so is wheelchair bound, haha hilarious isn't it? What the fuck is your point?

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2014, 04:14:43 PM »
Expand Quote
I wish Gonz would rewrite and illustrate the bible with jesus pushing mongo.
[close]
jesus would definitely have rocked airspeed shoes, a revive skateboard, and done yo flips
I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party.
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »
always amazes me when people don't understand what faith is and means. of course people of faith don't reason about their faith, if they did it wouldn't be faith by definition. that'd be like trying to reason that a strawberry tastes better than a grape.

i know ton's of people of faith that i'm pretty sure are a hell of a lot smarter than your average bear.

having faith doesn't mean lacking intelligence or intellectual sophistication. stating that only makes you seem like you don't get out much or that you surround yourself with stupid people.

also, even though i don't have faith, i'm not smug enough to believe that reason leads to better morality. i don't feel obligated by my reason based beliefs to do shit for other people but i have friends who give over half their incomes and donate a ton of their time to charitable causes because of their faith based beliefs. can i really argue that my morals are better because they aren't faith based and are harder to make fun of?

seriously, some of you people need to get out and meet some people out of your comfort zone.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »

Flaw in your thought process- sometimes math/science are incorrect, therefore Christianity must be. No, both can be wrong. I'm not the kind of atheist who thinks that there must be no god. I'm just saying that if there is some mystical creative force in the universe, its not the one described in any religious books as of yet. I also think its silly to think that if there is some creative force, that it sits there like some perverted stalker watching our every move, judging our morality, and punishing us for eternity if we don't say we love him.
At this point, through continued research and testing, science does seem to have the best grasp on how the universe works and functions. My guess is if there is a real god or creative force, that what scientists are discovering is how that creative force made the universe work. Considering no religious text does, it certainly brings up doubt.

Honestly though, who cares what I or anybody else believe? You can believe your crazy shit and I'll believe mine. The problem comes with proselytization- its arrogant.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2014, 04:48:06 PM »
Which is more arrogant- proselytization or using the word proselytization?

shark tits

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »
i'm not pro but i am a pretty lame Catholic. that said, i was 10 X lamer as a militant athiest. oh yeah, i was a real shitheel!

deadhead

• Rep: -2
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2014, 05:10:38 PM »
Religion makes no effort to explain how as science already has done so. However religion makes an effort to answer the question why? which science can not do.

just a thought

plod

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »
A good example would be If you found out Gonz was part of the God Squad you would be bummed. I would anyway.

Seems like the religious posters in this thread are the angriest.
Mocking motor neuron disease, very Christian of you.

McGooch

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2014, 07:04:36 PM »
The more education someone has, the more likely they don't believe god. That says a lot. How does that feel christian pals? The few of you sound pretty pissed, but i'm guessing you guys are trolling.

jam bra

• Rep: 3
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2014, 07:50:38 PM »
PRod praying always reminds me of this Jeff Stilson bit...

" I got tired of the interviews after the games, because the winning players always give credit to God, and the losers blame themselves. You know, just once I'd like to hear a player say, 'Yeah, we were in the game, until Jesus made me fumble. He hates our team.'"

BraveUlysses

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2014, 07:59:38 PM »
I like Black Sabbath

D. Bag

« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »
The more education someone has, the more likely they don't believe god. That says a lot. How does that feel christian pals? The few of you sound pretty pissed, but i'm guessing you guys are trolling.

Tell that to Ashkenazi Jews who traditionally have the highest IQ of all humankind with many traditionally tend to value education greatly.  They must be sooooo stupid for having faith, am I right?  What a bunch of assholes!

Silly generalizations in order to try and "make the enemy look stupid" is for suckers who feel a strong compulsion to always be "right".  And I'm not even religious, but fuck if I don't at least have some respect for many of those who are.  What's tragicomic to me is when people say things like "Screw those Christian bigots!" without even noticing their own blanketed bigotry they throw around in saying so.  It's that sort of thing that made me lose my faith in mankind long, long ago, but thanks for reaffirming my feelings on the matter, bro!

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »
d.bag you seem like a very level-headed fellow!

Nanda Zinger

• Rep: 56
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
A good example would be If you found out Gonz was part of the God Squad you would be bummed. I would anyway.

Seems like the religious posters in this thread are the angriest.
Mocking motor neuron disease, very Christian of you.

uhh, actually in the Rocco doc, the man who souled the world, rocco says that gonz actually talked jason lee out of using the board that later became natas' famous 101 board, because mark's religious beliefs made him tell jason the board was evil. Guess im really just writing this to say a lot of people have certain beliefs but dont make it their outward persona.

McGooch

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »
Quote from: D. Bag  link=topic=80106.msg2175414#msg2175414 date=1404962223
Expand Quote

[close]

Tell that to Ashkenazi Jews who traditionally have the highest IQ of all humankind with many traditionally tend to value education greatly.  They must be sooooo stupid for having faith, am I right?  What a bunch of assholes!

Silly generalizations in order to try and "make the enemy look stupid" is for suckers who feel a strong compulsion to always be "right".  And I'm not even religious, butt fuck if I don't at least have some respect for many of those who are.  What's tragicomic to me is when people say things like "Screw those Christian bigots!" without even noticing their own blanketed bigotry they throw around in saying so.  It's that sort of thing that made me lose my faith in mankind long, long ago, but thanks for reaffirming my feelings on the matter, bro!

Those people who say "well you have to respect them and their religious beliefs" are the absolute worst. I don't have to respect shit. Especially when it promotes eternal paradise as a death perk (pretty nice perk if you ask me) but theres a catch... we need 10% of your paycheck for you to be eligable. And btw we were just kidding about the paradise thing, you just die.

It's like that movie The Island with ScarJo.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2014, 09:08:31 PM »
I'm not willing to accept religions answers for incredibly complex questions. The frontiers of physics and the developing understanding of the universe that we are all a part of is much more fascinating than 'Yo! god created this shit in 7 days, 'he's' watching you, 'he' needs your unquestioning love because 'he' knows all and 'he's' kinda pervy cause he watches you jerk it and that's a sin but if you ask for forgiveness he'll forgive you. 'He's fickle like that but he wants you to feel 'his' love.' Essentially the rules are set in opposition to human nature and our needs as animals, but teaching you that you're wrong for your developed animal instinct inserts power over you and that is what religion is really about. I'd rather science and theories to be improved upon over time to get us closer to tangible explanations for our existence. I'd rather be curious and fascinated by the possibilities of the universe than be closed off by the final word of an insecure god. I don't fault people for having faith in a power greater than themselves and a quest for spiritual knowledge but you're lying to yourself if you don't think that spirituality has become commodified.

Thrillho

« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »
A human trying to figure out how we got here with math is like a rat trying to figure out why it's in a cage using nothing but its own poop.  Even if someone did claim to figure it out, you'd just be taking them at their word.  You wouldn't understand it.  There are no genius mathematicians on the SLAP forum.  You essentially might as well be snake handling.  Most people side with atheism because they want to seem intelligent and independent from anything.  Or as Neal Stephenson put it;
Ninety-nine percent of everything that goes on in most Christian churches has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual religion. Intelligent people all notice this sooner or later, and they conclude that the entire one hundred percent is bullshit, which is why atheism is connected with being intelligent in people's minds.
It's hip now.  That's cool.  In crowd.  I get it.  Doesn't make it any more right than asking a Magic 8-Ball.  Those were in for a while too though, so whatever you're into.

Everett425

• Rep: -148
  • Nice! Dope! Like it! Wow!
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2014, 09:56:39 PM »
I'm cool with religious pros as long as they don't try and push/promote their religion. Same goes for dude's like Lizard King who are pretty much promoting the exact opposite (whether he's joking or not).

Fred_Brazil

• Rep: -5
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2014, 10:11:01 PM »
Chris Cole is a Christian. /end_thread

Satanist or pseudo-Satanist are far worse, just look at the huge market they explore by promoting their "beliefs".

Atheists, nobody really cares about them until they try to preach a sermon on how enlightened they are.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2014, 10:11:18 PM »
A human trying to figure out how we got here with math is like a rat trying to figure out why it's in a cage using nothing but its own poop.� Even if someone did claim to figure it out, you'd just be taking them at their word.� You wouldn't understand it.� There are no genius mathematicians on the SLAP forum.� You essentially might as well be snake handling.� Most people side with atheism because they want to seem intelligent and independent from anything.� Or as Neal Stephenson put it;
Expand Quote
Ninety-nine percent of everything that goes on in most Christian churches has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual religion. Intelligent people all notice this sooner or later, and they conclude that the entire one hundred percent is bullshit, which is why atheism is connected with being intelligent in people's minds.
[close]
It's hip now.� That's cool.� In crowd.� I get it.� Doesn't make it any more right than asking a Magic 8-Ball.� Those were in for a while too though, so whatever you're into.
I just can't get over how regular this is. It's like, I don't want to feel like I'm superior but it's hard not to when I look at something like this. Oh, and a better analogy than the rat making up shit with his shit would be something like math is akin reading the blueprints of the universe and gaining more understanding of its structure as we go.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2014, 10:15:19 PM »
I am not a big fan of some of the proselytizing that does go on, but I did want the Gabriel Rodriguez board with the Jesus graphic.

My dad said no, I think he didn't want the scratches from board sliding across Jesus's face, lol.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:17:50 PM by sluggers »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2014, 10:20:53 PM »
I could care less about religion, but I don't think ending religion would stop a deluded world and killing over pointless beliefs. Reminds me of the south park episode where they go into the future and they have eliminated religion, but are now killing each other over which type of science to believe. I do find people thanking god or asking god to help them on a trick annoying as fuck though like P-rod, but not the lennie kirk insane way of believing god smacked him down on a grind cuz he jacked off earlier that day.  God doesn't give a fuck whether u land that trick that gets u into the 9 club or not Prod.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2014, 10:36:41 PM »
Which is more arrogant- proselytization or using the word proselytization?
Clearly the act of proselytization. The word is the correct and most accurate word to use in the instance that I used it. Don't be some ignorant anti-intellectual who gets mad at people for using big words. It not a good look. appropriate use of a word is not arrogant at all. In fact, when I used it, I apparently assumed more of my audience than I should have, the opposite of arrogance.
The act of proselytization is one of complete arrogance. It says "my beliefs are better than your beliefs" openly and outwardly. A proselytizer by definition thinks of the person he is converting as inferior and needing of changing to be more like the proselytizer. Its textbook arrogance and intolerance. Its not enough to have your beliefs, you have to force them on others too.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2014, 10:48:24 PM »
Expand Quote
A human trying to figure out how we got here with math is like a rat trying to figure out why it's in a cage using nothing but its own poop.� Even if someone did claim to figure it out, you'd just be taking them at their word.� You wouldn't understand it.� There are no genius mathematicians on the SLAP forum.� You essentially might as well be snake handling.� Most people side with atheism because they want to seem intelligent and independent from anything.� Or as Neal Stephenson put it;
Expand Quote
[close]
It's hip now.� That's cool.� In crowd.� I get it.� Doesn't make it any more right than asking a Magic 8-Ball.� Those were in for a while too though, so whatever you're into.
[close]
I just can't get over how regular this is. It's like, I don't want to feel like I'm superior but it's hard not to when I look at something like this. Oh, and a better analogy than the rat making up shit with his shit would be something like math is akin reading the blueprints of the universe and gaining more understanding of its structure as we go.
Its also mindblowingly dumb because we don't just assume or have faith in the correctness of scientists. Those rockets they designed to go up into space based on math and physics worked, because they were right- it doesn't take a math genius to know. Then when they successfully did use rockets to go into space, you know what they found? A round Earth that rotates around the sun, just like Gallileo said, based on math and physics since space travel clearly wasn't a possibility in his time. THEN after they did all that, you know what they did? They shot fucking satelites into orbit, using math and science equations, allowing me to watch 500 tv stations and post long and stupid rants about Dylan. on the internet, because not only could fucking math and science successfully shoot a satellite into space, it could be used to accurately locate its position so that these transmissions can be sent all over the world through motherfucking space. Why? Because SCIENCE. The nice thing is, I don't need to know the math or physics of it all, I just see never ending proof in my daily life that these physicist guys have a pretty goddamned good handle on how all this shit works. We could get into how many incorrect aspects of what I just wrote are proclaimed in the bible and expected to be taken on faith, but it doesn't really matter. Science as we know it disproves all religious texts in existence. It doesn't replace them. If their is a god or creative force, it hasn't revealed itself to humanity. Its that simple.

Thrillho

« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2014, 11:27:41 PM »
a better analogy than the rat making up shit with his shit would be something like math is akin reading the blueprints of the universe and gaining more understanding of its structure as we go.
A blueprint would imply that this shit was planned and built, and I KNOW you wouldn't dare insinuate that, so just stop before you embarrass yourself some more.

we don't just assume or have faith in the correctness of scientists.
I know YOU aren't checking shit but your faculty email so yeah, YOU are assuming everything.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2014, 11:33:18 PM »
Expand Quote
a better analogy than the rat making up shit with his shit would be something like math is akin reading the blueprints of the universe and gaining more understanding of its structure as we go.
[close]
A blueprint would imply that this shit was planned and built, and I KNOW you wouldn't dare insinuate that, so just stop before you embarrass yourself some more.

Expand Quote
we don't just assume or have faith in the correctness of scientists.
[close]
I know YOU aren't checking shit but your faculty email so yeah, YOU are assuming everything.
Are you denying the existence of the space program and the everyday use of satellite technology that I cited? If so, please, explain. I love a good conspiracy theory.