Author Topic: Are religious pros lame?  (Read 32647 times)

ninformatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
Re: Are religious pros lame?
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2021, 11:27:48 AM »
John Gardner is sick

cky enthusiast

« Reply #241 on: June 20, 2021, 11:30:36 AM »
preachy skateboarders are 1000% covering for something

no one thinks lance mountain or ray barbee is lame

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1225
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #242 on: June 20, 2021, 12:37:06 PM »
we’re all lame

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #243 on: June 20, 2021, 02:25:05 PM »
A few years back morizen foche got into a conversation with Brian sumner on Facebook about “religion”.

It was very interesting because mofo grew up in a Catholic Church and went to a school for ordained ministers. I believe mofo is a homosexual and atheist now.

Brian had a western king james judo-cheistian interpretation of reality

I screen shotted it and saved it somewhere I think they deleted it on fb.

Mofo made some interesting points about the kings James Bible being translated shortly after Shakespeare and something like 30% of the words come straight from Shakespeare plays which makes sense cuz a lot of English peasants couldn’t read or write so they really knew English from seeing plays and church

Idk Matt fields is kool

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #244 on: June 20, 2021, 03:27:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Weed is pretty much a religion for skaters, and is just as annoying when they talk about it.
[close]

Uhh religion isn't annoying, it's deadly.. Millions of people have been killed because of religion.

Hell more people have been killed because of religions stance on weed use alone then people that have actually died from weed.
[close]

OK, if I knew someone was going to get ultra-serious and take an obviously joking metaphor to its conclusion, I probably should have said ‘drugs are religion for skaters’.

But as it stands, not all religions are equally bad.
Weed, something fairly benign, could be compared to Jehovah’s witnesses, whereas something like coke which uses child slave labor and people are killed in turf wars would be something akin to the Roman Catholicism.

So in conclusion, you aren’t being ‘woke’ by trying to start arguments over jokes, you are being a bit of a dick.
[close]
sorry to nitpick but I gotta assume you dont have any family members who are jehovah’s witnesses or have been to a Kingdom Hall if you think it’s comparable to weed lol more like meth.
[close]

For real, i was about to say, JWs are way fucked. Kids dying because they won't allow them to get life saving surgery, pedophiles being able to move from congregation to congregation and never face consequences because they're "neutral" and don't report anything to the government, the fact that they excommunicate you on the hard core manner where your parents are forbidden to contact you if you leave the church.

Also of all the goofy American Christianity remixes, JWs high key the fucking dumbest. A dude predicted the apocalypse wrong like three times and said only 144,000 people are going to heaven and yet people still keep joining despite that max number being reached 200 years ago.
[close]

This is all true. As someone raised as a JW with family still in it, it’s tough to hear people justify a smaller orgs social consequences because something larger like the Catholic Church just so happens to exist. In the end, they all end up doing bad shit and then they do worse shit when attempting to repair their reputation. I’ve wondered what a church that doesn’t claim to be infallible or directly connected to the “divine” would look like, but I guess that wouldn’t be a church at all.

My bad. I only knew them as annoying door-to-door proselytizers. I agree, not a good comparison.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Mrskillson

• Rep: 5
« Reply #245 on: June 20, 2021, 04:29:35 PM »
Doesn't really bother me, but not going to lie, my opinion of anyone dips if I find out they are religious.

100%

pro club blanks

« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2021, 04:46:45 PM »
ill take a religious positive pro whos actually nice to the kids over a smug hellride drug and alchohol glamorizing nihilist anyday

Brguy

« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2021, 06:02:29 PM »
The time a skateboarder really put religion first he became legendary. Quit sinnin, escape hell.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #248 on: June 25, 2021, 07:04:36 PM »
there used to be this free indoor at some small gym in an oldass church. for the winter. they would always stop the sesh halfway and ask everyone adults and groms to sit in a circle to talk about their dogma. shit was super cringe and the fake positivity cucks were always just clammy and awkward. anyway this place definitely had asbestos so i stopped going. no pros in this here ol story my bad

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #249 on: August 10, 2021, 09:18:21 AM »
Jesus pushed mongo.

it was like 2000 years ago. if we can give pros who push switch mongo in the 90's a pass, we can give Jesus the OK to be pushing mongo on those rough stone roman roads. IMHO

Loki700

« Reply #250 on: August 10, 2021, 10:40:17 AM »
When I first became an atheist pros who were religious and brought it in to skateboarding bothered me a lot.

As I've gotten older, it doesn't really bother me as long as they aren't pushing it on anyone.  That's where it really starts to get dangerous.

The ones that are truly awful are the ones who are super quiet about their religion, but are trying hard to get people into their religion.  That's why people like Kyro bug me way more than Hosoi or Thomas.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #251 on: August 10, 2021, 10:52:09 AM »
When I first became an atheist pros who were religious and brought it in to skateboarding bothered me a lot.

As I've gotten older, it doesn't really bother me as long as they aren't pushing it on anyone.  That's where it really starts to get dangerous.

The ones that are truly awful are the ones who are super quiet about their religion, but are trying hard to get people into their religion.  That's why people like Kyro bug me way more than Hosoi or Thomas.

The thing that bothers me is when people use skateboarding as a vehicle to further their evangelicism. It's just as cynical and crass as when some big company or fashion house slaps someone doing an ollie in a bowl in an anti depressant ad or covers some blank Chinese complete with a bunch of Louis Vuitton logos, except it tends to come with a side of puritanical beliefs about morality, sexuality and supremacy over non believers

Dacoda

• Rep: 0
« Reply #252 on: August 10, 2021, 12:41:08 PM »
there used to be this free indoor at some small gym in an oldass church. for the winter. they would always stop the sesh halfway and ask everyone adults and groms to sit in a circle to talk about their dogma. shit was super cringe and the fake positivity cucks were always just clammy and awkward. anyway this place definitely had asbestos so i stopped going. no pros in this here ol story my bad

This wouldn’t happen to of been in Louisiana, would it?

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #253 on: August 10, 2021, 12:46:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Doesn't really bother me, but not going to lie, my opinion of anyone dips if I find out they are religious.
[close]

100%

That's pretty shallow.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #254 on: August 10, 2021, 12:55:19 PM »
Untitled skateboards are cool.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #255 on: August 10, 2021, 01:26:39 PM »

Ishaboi

• Rep: -1
« Reply #256 on: August 10, 2021, 01:50:46 PM »

I'm not even sure DB is a religious kook...Just a kook that goes around doing all sorts of "good" under the false pretence that he is a big time pro skater.
Imagine being a 12 year old with leukemia and Doug Brown shows up. Sorry Jimmy, Tony Hawk was busy.
I think this is his third book about his life behind the board as a "pro skater"...Astonishingly sad in all honesty.

Lisa96

« Reply #257 on: August 10, 2021, 01:57:30 PM »
you haven't even read the book bro

skatred

• Rep: 3
« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2021, 02:02:28 PM »
Used to skate God Park in Perth in the late 90s. So named because it was this indoor skate park because it was attached to a big church and the dude that used to run it (Daniel I think) was a reformed stoner who had found God etc.

Was pretty chill to skate at and was closed while church was on.

Really, any pro pushing any ideology is lame.
Nobody fades The Muska

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #259 on: August 10, 2021, 02:14:51 PM »
Affirmative
big texas cummer

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #260 on: August 10, 2021, 02:24:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm not even sure DB is a religious kook...Just a kook that goes around doing all sorts of "good" under the false pretence that he is a big time pro skater.
Imagine being a 12 year old with leukemia and Doug Brown shows up. Sorry Jimmy, Tony Hawk was busy.
I think this is his third book about his life behind the board as a "pro skater"...Astonishingly sad in all honesty.

Nah, Doug is a bad boy. He just puts on the act, so he can tour the country, or ya know, mostly just Ohio, giving speeches to motivate the kids, but his real motivation and laying pipe to a lonely teacher, or librarian at every new middle school he stops at.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

gabbesucks

« Reply #261 on: August 10, 2021, 03:04:19 PM »
Yeah

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #262 on: August 10, 2021, 04:34:00 PM »

I’m not a Kyro fan, but in the interest of fairness, has he ever talked about Scientology in his skateboard stuff?

While Jamie definitely has had heavy religious graphics on his boards, angg do I think one of his video parts ends with a cross on the screen.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 995
« Reply #263 on: August 10, 2021, 06:02:11 PM »
That’s not a cross. That’s just a “t” that stands for one more try

BinkyConklinFan

• Rep: 4
« Reply #264 on: August 10, 2021, 06:59:11 PM »
The time a skateboarder really put religion first he became legendary. Quit sinnin, escape hell.
Is this a gator reference?

Loki700

« Reply #265 on: August 11, 2021, 10:28:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m not a Kyro fan, but in the interest of fairness, has he ever talked about Scientology in his skateboard stuff?

While Jamie definitely has had heavy religious graphics on his boards, angg do I think one of his video parts ends with a cross on the screen.
That's the problem he's not open about it.  If you look at what position he holds in the church, he's the PES (Public Executive Secretary) of San Francisco.  That position is involved in getting new people into Scientology.  There's no way he holds that position and doesn't have procuring new people for Scientology as an ulterior motive.  He may not be going after the public at large, but that would make sense since the public at large has rejected Scientology.  My guess is that he's going after the young impressionable skaters on his channel and skaters that he directly interacts with at parks. 

A lot of the Braille brand has Scientologists involved, and it really seems like a marketing tool for Scientology.

The thing that bothers me is when people use skateboarding as a vehicle to further their evangelicism. It's just as cynical and crass as when some big company or fashion house slaps someone doing an ollie in a bowl in an anti depressant ad or covers some blank Chinese complete with a bunch of Louis Vuitton logos, except it tends to come with a side of puritanical beliefs about morality, sexuality and supremacy over non believers
That's basically how I look at it.  As long as they aren't being evangelical about their religion and it's only influencing their graphics and such, I really don't care if they incorporate their religion into their skateboarding stuff.  I haven't seen that too much from the guys who do it, but maybe it's because I don't pay much attention.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #266 on: August 11, 2021, 11:03:22 AM »

GGK42069

• Rep: 4
« Reply #267 on: August 11, 2021, 11:20:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Is this a gator reference?

Lennie Kirk, Timecode

chat noir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #268 on: August 11, 2021, 01:00:33 PM »
Idk Matt fields is kool

is matt a rastafarian?

VarialDisease

• Rep: 12
« Reply #269 on: August 11, 2021, 02:53:11 PM »
Q: Are religious pros lame?
A: Yes.  100%.  No exceptions. 

Religion is cancer.  Every last one of 'em.  Any good credited to a religion or it's followers was built on the suffering of others.