Author Topic: Trail expansion project versus NIMBY. How do I counter the opposition?  (Read 201 times)

beanplantsmakemefart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
A pedestrian trail expansion is being proposed in my hometown and there is an organized opposition with yard signs and a fear mongering website.  https://www.protect-dontconnect.com/

The trail is next to the skatepark, and expanding the trail will make it easier to skate there from anywhere in city limits. This might possibly add to the street spot selection as well. Literally no downsides.

How do I fight?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 09:54:36 AM by beanplantsmakemefart »

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
Re: NIMBY is happening. How do I counter the opposition?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 05:31:27 AM »
Based on a quick glance at their site, if you have facebook, follow them to see what they’re up to. If they’re going to some council meeting or whatever, go too, and get on the mic and tell everybody about how awesome and green a trail would be.
There’s a button on their site to contact local officials - click the button, find their contact info, and send them emails about how dope a trail would be.
Maybe start counter petition. They imply the cost is much higher than the demand - if you can get signatures from people who plan to use the trail, it invalidates their argument.
They mention public safety and how nobody consulted police? Go ask the some police community relations person what they think - maybe they aren’t concerned at all. Shit, maybe they want to have some bike cops pedalling around to work off all those donuts.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 05:38:22 AM by JANUS »
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Dental Dan

• Rep: 33
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 07:14:04 AM »
"Jeopardizing community safety by connecting the I-80 interchange to our schools, parks, ballfields, downtown, swimming pool, residential neighborhoods, and more. Who and what would we actually be inviting into our community?"

I'd recommend attacking this argument on the basis that people probably already have access to all of these things if they have a vehicle. I'm not even sure where the author is going with this. People are going to get off the highway, park, and walk down the trail to pillage the town?
That seems like a weak point to me.

edit: You can hunt for articles and studies where comparable municipalities have been improved by the implementation of trails like this one, use that info to counter them in a public forum (like how JANUS mentioned). Maybe change the thread title to indicate what the project is, someone on here may have some expertise in urban planning or whatever that they can use to help.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 07:23:08 AM by Dental Dan »
The cia should be sucking our toes and building us better ledge tech.

meg

• Rep: -64
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 09:15:41 AM »
They don't want it because homeless people use those type of trails

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Just move to Omaha or Lincoln.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.