Author Topic: Surfing  (Read 31655 times)

Yushin Okami

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 115
Surfing
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:15:06 AM »
I realize this is pretty specific to pals who live near a coast but any surfers in here? I only first tried it a couple of years ago but loved it immediately. If I have a bad day skating I'm usually pretty bummed but a bad day surfing just means I spent the day at the beach.

Plus, the photography is rad 

*This thread is for locals only
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

SHAWN COMBOVER

• Rep: 14
  • WHAT A FUCKING WRINKLE DRINKER
Re: Surfing
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 10:24:50 AM »
SLAP SURF MAG BRUH. I GET WET CONSTANTLY. ::) ::) ::)

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
doublesteveburger: I'm gonna stick to being sad and skating with my poor friends.
busey: he's like an avenged sevenfold song come to life who wandered around living off energy drinks.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:42:25 AM »
I feel like there is a stigma attached to relating skateboarding to surfing, Unless your from the West Coast it seems like people don't respect surfing. Fortunately, being from Chicago, I've surfed a few times in California and I loved it. I can't really do it, and struggle to stand up on a wave, but it was amazing how much strength and balance it takes.

I frequently watch surfing videos and love the photography and videography attached to it as you said, its a great way to cool off and relax after a hard day.

SHAWN COMBOVER

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 11:43:55 AM »
or go skate and then take a shower.
just saying man.
doublesteveburger: I'm gonna stick to being sad and skating with my poor friends.
busey: he's like an avenged sevenfold song come to life who wandered around living off energy drinks.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:50:12 AM »
Sometimes I like to do several activities per day before I sit on the couch and smoke weed all night. Weird.

SHAWN COMBOVER

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:55:39 AM »
 i know right? at least you are staying active. respect.
even if you're on a surfbort.

dillanharp

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »
I've lived on the West Coast my entire life, and the answer is no, not ever.
Because

I don't care what the odds are, the odds are 0 if I take myself out of the equation.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »
Because

I don't care what the odds are, the odds are 0 if I take myself out of the equation.

this 1000% and i use that exact same "odds" sentence every time.

surfing is rad, but i saw Jaws at too young of an age to get past it.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »
Can't be serious afraid to go in the ocean? Better take Zumba classes you morons.

I've had to kick away eels and barracudas going for me on diving missions, even saw a hammerhead in the distance. They dont want to eat you there's plenty of fish in the sea that don't contain GMO and preservatives. Your biggest worry out there should be coral reefs/ rocks.

Surfing is insanely fun and good for you. I learned in Hawaii with the most perfect waves and warm water, still took me a few days to hit real breaks with some swag. Getting up is easy but that's not surfing. There's something great about riding something completely natural

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 04:09:55 PM »

I've had to kick away eels and barracudas going for me on diving missions, even saw a hammerhead in the distance.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 06:06:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Because

[close]

Ha this is pretty much where i'm at too. All the statistics about the likelihood of a shark attack don't mean a thing because sharks are probably the closest thing I have to a phobia. It's irrational, but I don't give a fuck.

I will still go in the ocean but I am paranoid as hell out there. I usually just avoid it.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:09:40 PM by landCow »

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 12:42:08 AM »
so i'm glad i used the search button instead of making a second thread. i went surfing once before back home. i always thought it was super lame and not that hard, and then i got to the beach. the crashing waves are so loud i couldn't even hear my buddy talking. now that i live in southern california i've seriously been thinking about starting, but i haven't had the free time to do it yet. with my broken ankle i'll be able to skate again just as winter creeps around, which coincidentally is the perfect season for surfing in southern california apparently. i'm strongly considering taking lessons because i don't want to go out and get frustrated after buying all the gear; board and wetsuit.

all things considered i'm realistically looking at going 2-4 days a week when i can. you can say what you want, but none of my friends will be going skating at 7 or 8 am anyways, so there's plenty of time in the day to go surfing and then be skating by noon. one of my best friends explained why he thought it was crazy and i couldn't stop laughing "imagine a bunch of skaters in a parking lot waiting around for a moving box or quarterpipe to pop out of the ground that you had to chase". but that seems like that's it in a nutshell: a big moving quarterpipe that you have to chase and roll into at the right moment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOjZGX84iaE
fuck you bama

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 04:22:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Because

[close]

[close]

Ha this is pretty much where i'm at too. All the statistics about the likelihood of a shark attack don't mean a thing because sharks are probably the closest thing I have to a phobia. It's irrational, but I don't give a fuck.

I will still go in the ocean but I am paranoid as hell out there. I usually just avoid it.

i agree with this. i live about 2 miles from the beach and the water scares me. ill go in up to my waist and thats about it. ive tried surfing a few times and its def fun, but animal planet has ruined me. these fuckers.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 06:13:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Because

[close]

[close]

[close]

i agree with this. i live about 2 miles from the beach and the water scares me. ill go in up to my waist and thats about it. ive tried surfing a few times and its def fun, but animal planet has ruined me. these fuckers.

you wussbois need to trade homes with me. ive always wanted to surf and sharks dont scare me. plus getting eaten by a shark is probably one of the most badass ways to die, so i wouldnt even be that bummed about it.

the only surfing ive ever done is on one of those wave machines they have at waterparks. that thing kicked my ass.

Yushin Okami

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 06:56:47 AM »
so i'm glad i used the search button instead of making a second thread. i went surfing once before back home. i always thought it was super lame and not that hard, and then i got to the beach. the crashing waves are so loud i couldn't even hear my buddy talking. now that i live in southern california i've seriously been thinking about starting, but i haven't had the free time to do it yet. with my broken ankle i'll be able to skate again just as winter creeps around, which coincidentally is the perfect season for surfing in southern california apparently. i'm strongly considering taking lessons because i don't want to go out and get frustrated after buying all the gear; board and wetsuit.

all things considered i'm realistically looking at going 2-4 days a week when i can. you can say what you want, but none of my friends will be going skating at 7 or 8 am anyways, so there's plenty of time in the day to go surfing and then be skating by noon. one of my best friends explained why he thought it was crazy and i couldn't stop laughing "imagine a bunch of skaters in a parking lot waiting around for a moving box or quarterpipe to pop out of the ground that you had to chase". but that seems like that's it in a nutshell: a big moving quarterpipe that you have to chase and roll into at the right moment

What part of SoCal are you in cause I'd always be down to go out. I've never taken a lesson and have just been teaching myself so I'm very much a beginner. I do have a old wetsuit and board you could use if needed (it's a shortboard though...)
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 07:56:52 AM »
Never surfed before but as I hit my late teens it looked really, really interesting and I was down for it. I didn't have a board/gear myself or friends that would go until a co worker a couple years ago. I told him I always wanted to but he didn't really throw an invite on a session until I tore my ACL and that was a little over a year ago. I live in west FL so the waves are kinda dirt in comparison to Cali and whatnot (I assume). I think my knee is good enough to give it a shot though. Looks super fucking fun.

I went skimboarding with some homeys once and picked it up super, super quick. Definitely not saying surfing is anything like skimming but hell, surfing is an activity where you're riding a board, requires balance and other shit that coincides with skating. Don't see why I couldn't pick it up in time as well.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What part of SoCal are you in cause I'd always be down to go out. I've never taken a lesson and have just been teaching myself so I'm very much a beginner. I do have a old wetsuit and board you could use if needed (it's a shortboard though...)
i live 20 minutes away from ventura, but i'm moving down to la/hollywood by october. i may take you up on the offer, but most likely i'm gonna buy the board used and get a decent wetsuit. i'm getting a shorter board, too. allegedly manhattan beach is a good place to learn/it's where i might take a couple lessons before going off and figuring out how to ride. i have dreams of one day being able to ride something like the waves at huntington beach, but that could be a bit of a pipe dream. or not. i just gotta keep going as much as possible. where in southern california are you?
fuck you bama

Yushin Okami

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 02:35:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
i live 20 minutes away from ventura, but i'm moving down to la/hollywood by october. i may take you up on the offer, but most likely i'm gonna buy the board used and get a decent wetsuit. i'm getting a shorter board, too. allegedly manhattan beach is a good place to learn/it's where i might take a couple lessons before going off and figuring out how to ride. i have dreams of one day being able to ride something like the waves at huntington beach, but that could be a bit of a pipe dream. or not. i just gotta keep going as much as possible. where in southern california are you?

Newport Beach. The waves here can be pretty gnarly so I only go out on mellow days or head up to Manhattan Beach/Venice. Shoot me a PM when you're in the area

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »

newport looks gnarly as fuck. i'll hit you up when i'm down there though. i wont be surfing or skating until maybe november, but most likely december
fuck you bama

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 09:00:01 AM »
So much fun. I'm not very good and just longboard at this point pretty much. Bring in the ocean is nice.  I just got this

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:02:02 AM by rfox »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »
Surfing is the most fun I've ever had in comparison to how badly I failed at it.....

I think I've successfully stood up and rode out like once each time I went....

It's not easily accessible for me so I never do it....you can't beat skating that way....culturally I think it's pretty different too.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 10:51:01 AM »
So much fun. I'm not very good and just longboard at this point pretty much. Bring in the ocean is nice.  I just got this

Sick board! Unfortunately, surfboards cost a little bit more then a skateboard...

Anyway, this is one of my favorite dudes. He surfs Newport a lot I'm pretty sure. Not to mention he's in a couple good bands if you like that kind of music. Japanese Motors and Tomorrows Tulips.

Alex Knost- Single Fins

Yushin Okami

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »
Yeah... it sucks how much they cost. I was using a used board for a couple of years and just bought my first new board a couple of weeks ago.

Glad this thread got a bit of boost... I'm gonna go out right now.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 12:19:55 PM »
Yeah... it sucks how much they cost. I was using a used board for a couple of years and just bought my first new board a couple of weeks ago.

Glad this thread got a bit of boost... I'm gonna go out right now.

Hell yeah, catch something dude!

I'll be in the Orange County/South LA region from Chicago during the October 25th weekend if anybody on here wants to surf. I could use some pointers!

Yushin Okami

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 08:05:17 AM »
Bumping this because of hurricane Marie... it's been absolutely nuts in my neighborhood this week

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »
I've surfed my fair share of times. I went to college in Santa Cruz, and my freshman year I had a friend who was down to take me out surfing all the time. He failed out after that year because he was too down to surf, and moved home. I haven't gone out that much after that. The thing I remember most quickly when I go back out from time to time, is how exhausting it is getting the shit kicked out of you by cold ass waves (the pacific in nor cal gets really fucking cold, for those who don't know) over and over, until by the time you get out to where you need to be, you just want to fucking sit there for a while before riding a wave again (especially as a beginner who catches like 1 out of 50 waves and just eats shit the rest of the time)

I respect surfing, but surfer culture sure has a lot of lame aspects. Sea jocks...
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 09:11:49 PM »
surfing is a constrictive element on you're life where as skateboarding just goes with life.  Surfing is addictive and waves are the only good thing about it  surfers are are easily the SHITTIEST part of surfing .   imagine if you took skateboarding and completely ruined all social aspects of it you would end up with a typical surf line up   I love surfing but am a little jaded rite now, an mega swell was projected the last 3 days but wasnt as much as predicted so it was uber crowded, big waits between sets and everyone was being an asshole lots of snaking, paddleing arounding, collisions and fights
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:08:52 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

malibu hamish

• Rep: -11
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 10:40:12 PM »
surfing is a constrictive element on you're life where as skateboarding just goes with life.  Surfing is addictive and waves are the only good thing about it  surfers are are easily the SHITTIEST part of surfing .   imagine if you took skateboarding and completely ruined all social aspects of it you would end up with a typical surf line up   I love surfing but am a little jaded rite now, an mega swell was projected the last 3 days but wasnt as much as predicted so it was uber crowded, big waits between sets and everyone was being an asshole lots of snaking, paddleing arounding, collisions and fights
and going to the skatepark is any different? oh wait skating is only in the streets i forgot.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2014, 05:54:06 AM »
i go to parks too but if need be i'll skate a tiny feature no one else is riding (and be happy) and i rarely skate the bowl section.  Also malibu hamish quit surfing (for a small time i believe) for the same reasons that I am kinda bummed on it rite now.  Alot of surfers don't have anything else and i if i had to pick one of the 2, it wouldnt be surfing (as crazy as that sounds).
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 11:59:56 AM »
Thats crazy to hear seeing as surfing has a pretty "Duuuude whats goin on" stereotype to it. I guess since im not from a coast im not around the general surfing type a lot. I'll be sure to watch my back when im out there in october.