Author Topic: Surfing  (Read 31631 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
Re: Surfing
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2021, 03:20:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Agreed. There are some good quality and fun foamies these days. Get one over 7' and catch as many waves as you can. Then see what style of surfing you really want to pursue.

I always assumed skateboarders would mostly want to shortboard but Chico and Max Schaff are all about the single fin eggs and hulls. Pretty cool.

Bottom line: Foam is your friend... better to have a board that has too much float than too little.
[close]

this is exactly why I ask. I’ve heard that’s what skateboarders naturally assume, but as far as surfing goes..short boards are actually a little more difficult to learn on. I feel like I’ve heard that before. You work on learning how to ride before getting into short boards..??
I’ve never really got the hang of a real short board but it only took a few years to ride a fish or a mini simmons. I know I am probably a kook but mini simmons feels like a skateboard

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1535
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2021, 03:51:52 PM »
What do people do with their car keys when they go surfing alone?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Some dude

• Rep: -43
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2021, 03:58:53 PM »

Put them in your shoes with your wallet. No one ever knows they are in there
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 04:15:45 PM by Some dude »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2021, 04:02:58 PM »

Was much better without electronic keys. used to just hang it around my neck. now, I just stash it in a wheel well or in a roof rack pad. just pay attention to who's watching... you can also get  little key boxes with passcodes to attach under your car.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2021, 04:14:02 PM »
Put the valet key in my wetsuit

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2021, 04:36:28 PM »
once everything is locked up
and then you sit on the sand and stretch
you can bury them

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1535
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2021, 04:47:17 PM »
Thank you for the various ideas.  I'm kind of surprised that wet suits don't have stash pockets for keys.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2021, 04:50:21 PM »
Thank you for the various ideas.  I'm kind of surprised that wet suits don't have stash pockets for keys.
All of mine have. You just can’t put the fob in there for obvious reasons but mine has a detachable dumb key, I lock the fob in the car.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2021, 11:08:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
All of mine have. You just can’t put the fob in there for obvious reasons but mine has a detachable dumb key, I lock the fob in the car.

yeah I would say every wetsuit that has been released over the last 15 years has a stash pocket for your key with a stretch tag to secure it.

My only car key is electric. Usually end up stashing deep in the wheel well. I need to get one of those hide-a-keys with the combo lock

this guy's style is unreal. highly recommended watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2JUb6dV8w4&list=FLhTgb4k6ycKhlIisdPFINpg&index=8&t=240s

foureyedjim

« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2021, 09:28:00 AM »
My electronic car fob is auto unlock and it's a feature you can't turn off (stupid), but it does have the physical key which I take with me into the water.  I take out the battery of the key fob every time and leave that in the car.  And yes, pretty much all wetsuits nowadays has a pocket for your keys.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2021, 09:42:57 AM »
Bought a new Quiksilver Syncro 4:3 and if there’s a key pocket I haven’t found it, guess that’s what you get when you cheap out.  I hide my main key in the wheel well and the spare stays in my leash pocket, should probably check to see how rusted/bent it is...

nevrwasben

« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2021, 11:32:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

yeah I would say every wetsuit that has been released over the last 15 years has a stash pocket for your key with a stretch tag to secure it.

My only car key is electric. Usually end up stashing deep in the wheel well. I need to get one of those hide-a-keys with the combo lock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2JUb6dV8w4&list=FLhTgb4k6ycKhlIisdPFINpg&index=8&t=240s
Yeah, he’s sick.
I dig the wetsuit company he rides for too (need essentials), very minimalist aesthetic and super dope videos/team.
Everybody has super good style.
They’ll probably be my 1st suit when I finally pull the trigger; hopefully soon.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2021, 12:37:41 PM »
When I drive my own car (which is older) I put the valet key in a zip lock bag and stuff it in my wetsuit somewhere. I like against the small of my back, but an arm or a leg works fine too.

When I have a newer rental or I borrow my moms car (which has an electronic proximity key), I use one of those lock boxes on the trailer hitch. It came with an RF blocking metal-lined zip-lock that cancels out the proximity function. Here’s a link: https://www.surffcs.com/products/fcs-keylock

I would never do the wheel well, burying in sand, or any of that stuff. Maybe it’s just paranoia from growing up near a fairly scummy NJ beach (seaside heights), or from surfing in LA where tons of homeless people and tweakers camp out on or near the beaches.

And on the topic of learning: I started on a 7’6” foamie and kinda hated how soggy and heavy it was. Progressed down to a 6’6” 2+1 egg almost immediately. Maybe it slowed me down, idk. Now I’ve got another egg as well, but it has 5 fin boxes and I definitely find the thruster setup to be more skate-like. Would a quad be even more so?

And finally.. what’s up with the mini Simmons?? They look like they could be fun in shitty waves. I’m in the market for a groveler or something that’ll be really buoyant and fun in crap surf

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2021, 06:01:51 PM »
My Prius has Auto Unlock but what you do is turn it on, roll down the window, get out of the car, reach in from the window, lock it, turn it off, then hit the button to roll up the window. There’s like a few second lag where you can roll them up after the car turns off. Dunno if other cars do that.

Related- one time my friend was making fun of one of those metal detector dudes, like “what a stupid hobby.” I was like, yeah it is weird. Anyway an hour later I’m like, fuck my key fell out of my bag. I see that dude off the distance, I run over and ask he for help, he totally found my key. Lesson learned, those dudes are rad.

Also Torren Martyn is so good

SK8houses

• Rep: -2
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2021, 11:15:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah, he’s sick.
I dig the wetsuit company he rides for too (need essentials), very minimalist aesthetic and super dope videos/team.
Everybody has super good style.
They’ll probably be my 1st suit when I finally pull the trigger; hopefully soon.
I can say their suits are really good and a good price too. They don’t have as much stretch as rip curl or O’Neil but NEED suits are very durable and warm. The liquid seam 4/3 is super warm. Being a skater I hate the surf branding logos so no logos on the suit are cool too.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2021, 11:42:43 PM »
Torren is sick and so are twinnies

@mj23 I feel you, they have their uses but yeah can’t beat fibreglass
If by skate like you mean loose trucks ish feeling and lots of turns top to bottom go the thruster all day

I’m aware the quad is more efficient I guess I haven’t really used one enough?

Edit

I am probably gonna cop shit for this cause they’re played out but have a look at hypto krypto by hayden shapes
Big fat thing but if you only had one board you could do a lot worse
You can get em in a 5 fin setup so you can have a fiddle between quad and thruster
I reckon you’d go the futures fin boxes
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 04:35:24 AM by matty_c »
listen to cosmic psychos

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2021, 10:37:14 AM »

clip the caribeaner to my frame in my wheel well.
Not the safest option but t's all I got so far. Helps that I drive a clapped out truck 
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2021, 10:43:47 AM »
Torren is sick and so are twinnies

@mj23 I feel you, they have their uses but yeah can’t beat fibreglass
If by skate like you mean loose trucks ish feeling and lots of turns top to bottom go the thruster all day

I’m aware the quad is more efficient I guess I haven’t really used one enough?

Edit

I am probably gonna cop shit for this cause they’re played out but have a look at hypto krypto by hayden shapes
Big fat thing but if you only had one board you could do a lot worse
You can get em in a 5 fin setup so you can have a fiddle between quad and thruster
I reckon you’d go the futures fin boxes

quads are weird. They are super fast in a straight line and really good for setting lines and covering ground. Also they feel great during a turn. They have some drawbacks though.

When you do a bottom turn, you will miss the third fin acting as a distinct pivot point. So if you are doing very top to bottom surfing it will feel weird or inconsistent. if you grew up or have a good amount of time on twins this will not bother you as much.

the other drawback is it is a lot harder to dial in a set of fronts and rears to fit you perfectly, where w a thruster there's a lot less thinking. Smaller back fin = looser.
W quads the have 50/50 foil rears, 80/20 foil rears, flat foil rears etc.

I like quads but I "messed up" my surfing for a year on them but I was also trying to surf in contests so I was very much going for the competitive standard at the time. I just was having inconsistency on my bottom turns which messed w my timing. This was on a standard shortboard

butttt if you are on either a super wide tailed groveler, or a long ass gun, quads will work best for you. I prefer a thruster in between.
sorry for the wall of text
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2021, 10:45:01 AM »
A quad set can be just as good , see nathan fletcher.

I usually only ride them in small waves on wide flat boars

Frank and Fred

« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2021, 11:40:56 AM »
Agreed on quads. I like them on wide tailed grovelers and in reeling walled up conditions on a step up but they can be problematic in day to day stuff. The back fin placement is pretty crucial. You can make a quad feel more thruster like if the back fin boxes are closer to the stringer and more parallel or more fish/ twin like if they are closer to the rail with more toe (angled).

Super stoked on my twin right now. Its a little sketchy until you've made a bottom turn and set your line but after that its like letting your mind tell your board where to go with some unreal speed to beat sections and it lets you climb up on the white water sections real nice... Pretty loose truck feeling.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2021, 11:47:29 AM »
Curren is still my favorite (I really on watch him, Dane and Mason). Well into his 50s now but if you want a clinic on how to link turns... this is it... Mostly on twins I believe... While its rad to seem him get barreled out of his mind, I really like watching how he flows it all together in the smaller mellower sessions... Check 6m 53s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EguHmYWXpZ4

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
ok thanks

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2021, 02:17:12 AM »
Curren is still my favorite (I really on watch him, Dane and Mason). Well into his 50s now but if you want a clinic on how to link turns... this is it... Mostly on twins I believe... While its rad to seem him get barreled out of his mind, I really like watching how he flows it all together in the smaller mellower sessions... Check 6m 53s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EguHmYWXpZ4

Instant classic when this came out. Fucking amazing.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2021, 01:20:06 PM »
Obigatory post
https://ibb.co/ygkFxd6
Got a few this morning, it’s fucken baltic
listen to cosmic psychos

Frank and Fred

« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2021, 09:10:22 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJob-Nw1ak

Mason at the same spot as Curren. Got me motivated to chase a few later at high tide...

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2021, 02:24:59 PM »
Fun reading through this thread, getting some comparative context of surfing compared to skating. Just started last year after having thought about it for so fucking long. Used to swim competitively, so I thought it'd fit me like a glove... Well, fuck me, is it hard to make that board do what you wanna.
There's so much technique involved with a thousand things before stepping on the board even becomes relevant. you all know this, I'm just venting. That shit is tricky. And the ocean is a scary place, haha. Being in Sweden, we aren't spoiled with great spots either, so the sessions are few and far between. And nippy, even with a 5/4. Learning is tough compared to skating, not being able to just repeatedly try the exact same thing a thousand times until you get it.

What would be the best approach for a kook like me, with basically only shitty spots nearby? Can anybody relate?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2021, 04:01:24 PM »
I can totally relate @Skibb

Oregon isn't Sweden and we have some good spots but its mostly cold, fickle and really tough to surf. I surfed last night and the water must have been about 46-48 F... Serious cold water upwelling going on.  The city was 81 F air temp for comparison.

Board choice is key. You need some volume for paddling that thick wetsuit in energy-draining cold water. And some boards that handle unpredictable and less than perfect conditions. What board are you on right now?

Your swimming background will really help. My main surf bud swam through school and university and he out-paddles everyone.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2021, 11:13:52 PM »

Oregon isn't Sweden and we have some good spots but its mostly cold, fickle and really tough to surf. I surfed last night and the water must have been about 46-48 F... Serious cold water upwelling going on.  The city was 81 F air temp for comparison.

Board choice is key. You need some volume for paddling that thick wetsuit in energy-draining cold water. And some boards that handle unpredictable and less than perfect conditions. What board are you on right now?

Your swimming background will really help. My main surf bud swam through school and university and he out-paddles everyone.
Oh, sounds like we're in quite similar climates then.

I don't even have my own board yet, but I got to borrow a Modern 7'6" with like 70-80L volume and that worked damn well for a rookie like me. Boards are so crazy expensive though, Probably what's kept me from pulling the trigger until now.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2021, 07:08:36 AM »
Fun reading through this thread, getting some comparative context of surfing compared to skating. Just started last year after having thought about it for so fucking long. Used to swim competitively, so I thought it'd fit me like a glove... Well, fuck me, is it hard to make that board do what you wanna.
There's so much technique involved with a thousand things before stepping on the board even becomes relevant. you all know this, I'm just venting. That shit is tricky. And the ocean is a scary place, haha. Being in Sweden, we aren't spoiled with great spots either, so the sessions are few and far between. And nippy, even with a 5/4. Learning is tough compared to skating, not being able to just repeatedly try the exact same thing a thousand times until you get it.

What would be the best approach for a kook like me, with basically only shitty spots nearby? Can anybody relate?

Major respect for learning in less-than-ideal conditions. I think super high volume and a good attitude are probably pretty key. Important to enjoy just being out on the water even if everything else kinda sucks. When I was first learning that was my vibe. Now that my expectations have risen in terms of my own performance, that’s changed a little, lol

As others have said “foam is your friend.” I recently visited family in NJ and picked up one of my older boards, which has a similar outline to the Lost Lazy Boy I enjoy as a daily driver out west, but the rails are super thin and the bottom contour is much more wobbly. It’s a lot harder to surf! I didn’t realize at the time, I just bought it back in like 2013 based on being able to fit in my car, being cheap, and still being relatively floaty.

So I guess the takeaway from that anecdote is: take your time buying a board, try a few out, and save your cash until you get something that will really let you progress. I didn’t know any better at the time, and while I had plenty of fun I over the last 8 years or so, I progressed a lot more once I made a little more money and got boards more suited to my ability.

On a somewhat similar note regarding learning in tough locations, I’m about to move to Texas where gulf conditions seem to be very fickle... but least it stays pretty warm. I think the move will be to watch wind direction really closely and just try to get out whenever it’s offshore. But if anyone else knows better, please share!

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2021, 04:07:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Oh, sounds like we're in quite similar climates then.

I don't even have my own board yet, but I got to borrow a Modern 7'6" with like 70-80L volume and that worked damn well for a rookie like me. Boards are so crazy expensive though, Probably what's kept me from pulling the trigger until now.

Buy secondhand boards of the internet. You are a learner. Ya don't need anything flash.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.