Author Topic: Surfing  (Read 31663 times)

matty_c

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
Re: Surfing
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2021, 08:33:31 PM »
Depends on the region for sure but you can defz come up in the towns where there’s lots of surfers and or tourists, I am halfway talking out my arse here cause I don’t know about other countries but there’s a couple people that have businesses where they drive boards up and down the coast here what I mean is if you haven’t got much of a second hand market in your immediate area it might be a good idea to suss out second hand boards in areas you can drive to or close enough to something couriered to you

Covid probably fucked everything everywhere but used to be able to come up good on tourists leaving and trying to get rid of equipment
But you’d want to google things to look for, red flags sort of stuff cause easy to get burned on repairs with stuff
But yeah think outside the box and yeah, what Burt Ward said, it’s not really like skating in the sense that a cheap setup or whatever is a no go

It’s real easy to do dumb shit with a surfboard without knowing, deadset best to just go through a bunch of second hand ones first
listen to cosmic psychos

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2021, 09:22:08 PM »
started to figure out how to release my fins tonight, feels just like a bs powerslide!

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2021, 08:07:29 AM »
started to figure out how to release my fins tonight, feels just like a bs powerslide!

duu it feels good dont it!

If you are having trouble getting them free, shift your weight to your front foot more to let the fins get a bit more free.
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2021, 08:17:40 AM »
Man surfing seems so sick. Wish it wasn't such a big production to get into it here in the Northeast. My gf is getting really serious about moving to san diego for some reason. If we do it I'm totally gonna get one of those spong tops and kook it up.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2021, 11:03:32 AM »
Anybody into stand up paddling or foiling or anything? I guess shiddy unbroken waves (crowdless) are endless fun on a foil.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2021, 05:54:47 PM »
STAND UP PADDLING? Get the fuck outta here. I'd rather ride a goatboat.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2021, 10:35:40 AM »
Anybody into stand up paddling or foiling or anything? I guess shiddy unbroken waves (crowdless) are endless fun on a foil.

Keep the foils well away from other life forms and you're all good.

Just got back from a week on the road. Surfed a 9'4" single log, 6'2" twin and one session on my 6'5" shortboard. Nothing epic but got some fun waves at one of my favorite low key spots north of California. I'm not a long boarder but did have one pretty magical session where it started to click. Just my friend and I sharing long rights. Whales feeding on the outside and a couple of beaver waddling along on the beach. Recon'd a bunch of other spots for future missions.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #187 on: May 31, 2021, 02:46:04 PM »
  I do alot of flat water stand up paddling and its so nice doing it close along the shore.  Down winders are super fun.   Havent done it surfing yet tho.  I imagine you could grab all the  wide sets and never even sit out back where everybody would be hating on you.  I can't surf for hours anymore so suping would round it out.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #188 on: May 31, 2021, 04:38:51 PM »
I’m planning to try SUPing in some rivers and lakes when I move to Austin in the fall but I don’t think I could ever respect myself if I was paddling a SUP into waves at an actual surf spot. I’m also curious about other landlocked water board sports, like skimming or even wakesurfing... idk, I love swimming and I’m down to try some kooky honky shit if I need to. Even though it seems super lame and rednecky. Maybe that’s just my coastal elite bias crewing in, whatever

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #189 on: May 31, 2021, 06:13:34 PM »
Dear MJ,

Don't underestimate the power of rivers. Be careful. Learned the hard way messing around in the Colorado River. Those currents no joke. Have fun & be safe

Also SUP is cool outside of California. Just so frowned upon there.. In Hawaii so fun & other states   

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2021, 06:27:19 PM »
I’m planning to try SUPing in some rivers and lakes when I move to Austin in the fall but I don’t think I could ever respect myself if I was paddling a SUP into waves at an actual surf spot. I’m also curious about other landlocked water board sports, like skimming or even wakesurfing... idk, I love swimming and I’m down to try some kooky honky shit if I need to. Even though it seems super lame and rednecky. Maybe that’s just my coastal elite bias crewing in, whatever

Maybe strange for me to defend suping on skating site since I don't even sup surf but in Hawaii so many respected surfers, pro surfers and whatnot have been heavy into sup surfing as well for some years now.  I think it's about seeing a little farther into the water kind of thing and understanding that it's a bigger playground if you've got an open mind.  My thing is that longboarders aren't much better then sup ers and I've been getting shitted on by them forever so fuck everybody if those dudes get tolerated.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #191 on: May 31, 2021, 08:13:20 PM »
Man surfing seems so sick. Wish it wasn't such a big production to get into it here in the Northeast. My gf is getting really serious about moving to san diego for some reason. If we do it I'm totally gonna get one of those spong tops and kook it up.
San Diego is fun man. I don’t think I’ll ever leave.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #192 on: June 01, 2021, 06:06:04 AM »
Dear MJ,

Don't underestimate the power of rivers. Be careful. Learned the hard way messing around in the Colorado River. Those currents no joke. Have fun & be safe

Also SUP is cool outside of California. Just so frowned upon there.. In Hawaii so fun & other states
I’ve watched SUP guys straight run over kids at surf spots in NY and NJ, just fully barging over some poor little groms’ heads and not even looking back, the kook factor is extremely high and I feel like it doesn’t matter where you are, it shines thru. Nobody likes sharing a break with those guys. Probably because a lot of them never learned surf etiquette before they started SUPing their way into waves. A lot of them just flagrantly drop in on everyone around them as well. So despite the fact that I am looking forward to some inland SUPing I feel like the sport is kinda rightly frowned upon anywhere there is even a slight whiff of surf culture or lineup manners.

Doodily

• Rep: 5
« Reply #193 on: June 01, 2021, 06:59:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Dear MJ,

[close]
I’ve watched SUP guys straight run over kids at surf spots in NY and NJ, just fully barging over some poor little groms’ heads and not even looking back, the kook factor is extremely high and I feel like it doesn’t matter where you are, it shines thru. Nobody likes sharing a break with those guys. Probably because a lot of them never learned surf etiquette before they started SUPing their way into waves. A lot of them just flagrantly drop in on everyone around them as well. So despite the fact that I am looking forward to some inland SUPing I feel like the sport is kinda rightly frowned upon anywhere there is even a slight whiff of surf culture or lineup manners.

It's the same here in NC. Nobody likes surfing with SUPs because they catch the wave far out before it forms and then run over anyone actually sitting the in the lineup. The entry level into surfing is a lot higher than SUP. Therefore, as a surfer, you spend a lot of time watching and learning how the lineup etiquette works.

Also, SUPing is dangerous to surfers. With a surfboard (longboard or shortboard), I can either maneuver around someone or duck-dive my shortboard (roll my longboard) to get out of the way if I'm paddling out and someone is dropping in. If I'm dropping in, I can quickly carve around someone paddling out. SUPs are so big and bulky, SUPers mostly just go straight and either bail from their board which crashes into someone or just run over someone.

I enjoy SUP in the Gulf and when the surf is flat. But please, don't join a lineup with a SUP.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2021, 10:27:47 AM »
I have never seen surfing IRL in Ontario Canada
I really want to try it
i googled and apparently kincardine, ON is the "surf capital" of my province. i have been there, some small waves, apparently oyu can do surf lessons. i am gonna try it this summer , hope i can stand up lol
ONTARIO CANADA

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »
@rawbertson great lakes have some really nice waves when the wind blows right. Ottawa river has a wave if you're near there.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2021, 06:42:18 AM »
Looking at the MSW forecast for the next week, no swell periods longer than 7s, small wave heights, mostly cross/onshore moderate winds... I’m beginning to think the North Atlantic is a pretty shitty spot condition-wise.  And when it is good there’s 98% chance I’m working.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #197 on: June 02, 2021, 12:34:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Dear MJ,

[close]

Hey, speaking as a total noob here again: what are good lineup manners and etiquette? Any rules of thumb to stick to?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #198 on: June 02, 2021, 12:41:35 PM »
Glad you asked...

-if someone is standing up and riding before you, it is their wave. The person closest to the most critical section 'the peak' has priority over the person on 'the shoulder.'

-if you get a good one, chill out and let someone else take priority position before you start jostling for priority again. if you blow your wave, tough luck, you start at the back of the rotation again... if there is a rotation... don't be greedy.

-if you stumble on a remote low key spot and there are already people on it. let them have it or wait until they leave.

-never bail your board. there are very few times you need to let that thing go. imagine you don't have a leash and act that way.

-don't put yourself into a situation you cannot swim out of. leashes and boards break. you can only rely on yourself.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 08:03:04 PM by Frank and Fred »

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: June 02, 2021, 03:54:06 PM »
Glad you asked...

-if someone is standing up and riding before you, it is their wave. There person closest to the most critical section 'the peak' as priority over the person on 'the shoulder.'

-if you get a good one, chill out and let someone else take priority position before you start jostling for priority again. if you blow your wave, tough luck, you start at the back of a rotation again... if there is a rotation... don't be greedy.

-if you stumble on a remote low key spot and there are already people on it. let them have it or wait until they leave.

-never bail your board. there are very few times you need to let that thing go. imagine you don't have a leash and act that way.

-don't put yourself into a situation you cannot swim out of. leashes and boards break. you can only rely on yourself.

If you think for one second that you are gonna get in someone's way as you are paddling out, don't scratch for the shoulder, paddle into the whitewater and get the fuck out of the way. I can't stress this enough.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: June 02, 2021, 04:40:44 PM »
Also you know how you’re skating a small park, having a good time when suddenly a couple cars rock up disgorging a whole crew and you think fuck here we go, it was so peaceful before

Same diff surfing it’s pretty shitty to arrive and paddle out as one, looks like you’re there to try dominate the place

Don’t surf in packs, paddle out by yourself or with one other mate, there are probably different takes on this around the world but three’s pushing it I reckon

Heaps of people that surf are fairly friendly a fair bit of the aggro you hear about would be same type of shit all of us would have told someone off at a skatepark for

Depends on the area for sure but if the waves are good and you don’t know anyone and you blow your first takeoff people are 100% gonna snake you on the next good wave and that’s fair as

Honestly anyone wants to have a go and knows nothing about it and no mates that surf just get a couple lessons they should explain most of this and you’d get like instant feedback on what you’re doing right and wrong

Honestly if you get a board and for first time try go where others are surfing you probably won’t have a good time and you’ll feel a bit silly

It will 100% make you think of all the times you vibed someone at a skate park haha

If you go on kookslams or similar you’ll see heaps of people having a go and getting absolutely pumped
Doesn’t need to be like that

Also yeah it’s a real bad idea to paddle through the waves people are surfing
At some point even the most tolerant person will just think nah fuck it that’s the fifth time that’s happened this morning, I’m not hopping off
Then they run you over
listen to cosmic psychos

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: June 02, 2021, 08:46:34 PM »
If you are learning, and this should be obvious, don't go out in a crowd. You don't need good waves. Surf somewhere quiet. It's better for everyone.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: June 02, 2021, 11:35:57 PM »
I don't know what the etiquette is on this, but I just got back from a night surf, been going a lot lately after dark, and there were two dudes out there with headlamps, like high beams 400 lumens or something. Bugged the heck out of me.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: June 03, 2021, 08:38:48 AM »
Regarding etiquette I think skaters with a bit of experience sharing parks or ramps will probably be able to intuitively figure out some of the basics, like for gods sake don’t just circle endlessly and prevent other people from using the spot (this is probably the biggest issue for people with SUPs).

If you aren’t a local, stop and observe for a while before you barge straight into the center of the action. Spend some time on the shoulder picking off lesser waves while you warm up so that you don’t piss everyone off by blowing a good set wave as soon as you show up.

Paddle for the whitewater instead of the shoulder when you’re caught inside and someone is already riding— really important and something I didn’t learn as soon as I should have, definitely had to live with some kook shame after getting the stink eye for this one when I was starting out.

And of course don’t drop in on someone else’s wave when they’re already going. Probably really obvious to most skaters because you already know not to just drop into a bowl while someone else is skating. I think there are *some* grey areas, like a chaotic skate jam or an insanely crowded kooky party wave destination like Malibu first point... but best to err on the side of caution, lest you get a fin to the face (probably by accident, but also maybe on purpose).

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #204 on: June 03, 2021, 09:32:07 AM »
Depends on the area for sure but if the waves are good and you don’t know anyone and you blow your first takeoff people are 100% gonna snake you on the next good wave and that’s fair as
That’s kinda bullshit though and the difference between skaters and surfers. Surfers think they own things cause they happen to be there often. I wouldn’t be like “sorry dude you don’t get any more turns on this ramp cause you blew your first 50-50”.

I dunno I love surfing but I try to avoid other surfers both on the beach and in life because I know I’m not very good and unlike skaters they’re dicks about it.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #205 on: June 03, 2021, 09:36:41 AM »
I love surfing but I try to avoid other surfers both on the beach and in life

That right there is the best advice. Surf culture has as an amazing history with interesting characters. And no doubt there are still cool people involved but the culture as a whole is worth avoiding especially compared to skateboarding.

Its a shame surfing's popularity never took a dip like skateboarding... its just gets more and more popular with all manner of kooks.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: June 03, 2021, 01:52:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That’s kinda bullshit though and the difference between skaters and surfers. Surfers think they own things cause they happen to be there often. I wouldn’t be like “sorry dude you don’t get any more turns on this ramp cause you blew your first 50-50”.

I dunno I love surfing but I try to avoid other surfers both on the beach and in life because I know I’m not very good and unlike skaters they’re dicks about it.

I’m not very good either let’s get that out of the way
But what I meant was waves are finite resource, ramps at a skatepark are always there and always the same ramp every time you skate it
Massive difference
listen to cosmic psychos

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: June 03, 2021, 08:12:23 PM »
I don't know what the etiquette is on this, but I just got back from a night surf, been going a lot lately after dark, and there were two dudes out there with headlamps, like high beams 400 lumens or something. Bugged the heck out of me.

That’s crazy I have heard of people doing that on mushrooms in Bali like when it’s a full moon so it’s bright
I would be pretty worried about sharks at night around here, you see any sharks or are there none of the types that go people where you surf
listen to cosmic psychos

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #208 on: June 03, 2021, 09:35:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s crazy I have heard of people doing that on mushrooms in Bali like when it’s a full moon so it’s bright
I would be pretty worried about sharks at night around here, you see any sharks or are there none of the types that go people where you surf

I'm out on a river, the St. Lawrence. A whale came up here last year but no sharks so mercifully don't have that fear. There are big fish jumping right now as they migrate, no lie one jumped over/onto the nose of my board under the full moon last week. It shocked me, a bit scary then amazing, and it definitely occeurred to me that I was glad that there was nothing bigger. I never think about what's beneath the surface, except when it's me.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #209 on: June 03, 2021, 10:36:52 PM »
That’s loose but yeah sick
I’m pretty scared of bull sharks and being in the water around packs of fish
listen to cosmic psychos