Author Topic: Surfing  (Read 31644 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Surfing
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2021, 08:51:05 AM »

I've had this for a good few years and will likely ride it into the ground. A bit more yellow with a couple of repairs on it since this photo. Not sure I could justify the price of a Stretch these days. Amazing boards though.

lemonchicken91

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2021, 09:59:48 AM »
that looks so fun, whats the low end on that bad boy?

also is that a glosh polish!? drool
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Frank and Fred

« Reply #242 on: June 30, 2021, 09:20:22 AM »
No polish. Its more on the grovelly end. I think its actually pretty close to the Grovel Buzz. So as long as there is a little shape and push it goes. In saying that it handles some juice also. Highly recommend everyone get at least one Stretch in their surfing life.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #243 on: July 05, 2021, 01:36:32 PM »
Just paid $100 for this handshaped epoxy egg, which in Canada where similar boards are $600+ new, seems way too good to be true.  It’s 7 x 22 x 3, and pretty thick all throughout so it’s definitely a bit of a boat, which for my weight/level isn’t a bad thing.  Glassed on wood fins make me a little nervous but I’ll try to be careful.  Gonna take off the weird grip pads and wax it.  Almost as excited to take it out as I am scared to tell my partner I bought a second board.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #244 on: July 05, 2021, 06:05:25 PM »
Damn a hundred bucks, that's amazing.
Anybody have advice/technique for back 3s? just started learning them, I get a little past midnight but then sink. I heard you need to shift your weight forward of something? I'm on a pretty small wave, lots of foam, great for messing around.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #245 on: July 06, 2021, 01:29:18 PM »
Damn a hundred bucks, that's amazing.
Anybody have advice/technique for back 3s? just started learning them, I get a little past midnight but then sink. I heard you need to shift your weight forward of something? I'm on a pretty small wave, lots of foam, great for messing around.

more weight on front foot as soon as you get past midnight

im not expert only done a few. Backside and into the lip like a fronside in skating right?
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #246 on: July 06, 2021, 02:02:39 PM »
It’s easier going slower, do it in the steepest section of the wave and try get your nose on top of the lip and put more weight on your front foot
The idea is to get the fins out a bit

I don’t mean like you need a hectic wave at all the one you described sounds great but yeah maybe try visualise one of those see saws at a playground and like see saw your nose up onto the lip then back on to tail as you come past 180

If you focus on doing 180s, or actually just a little bit past 180 and you’re not going too fast, as you get weight back on back foot the fins sort of catch and the wave just brings the board back around anyway

That board is sick for 100 mate good come up
listen to cosmic psychos

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: July 06, 2021, 10:09:25 PM »
I appreciate the advices, yeah lemonchicken bs turn then frontside into the lip like you said.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #248 on: July 07, 2021, 06:56:52 PM »
Update on the hundred dollar board... it’s trash.  Took it out in some decent 3-5ft waves, and couldn’t understand why the waves kept rolling over the tail no matter how far up I moved when paddling.  Finally was able to pop up on a couple and would just bog out.  It felt like surfing a Kleenex box.  Had no play and didn’t “fit in the wave”.

Went to the nearby surf shop, bought some wax, and asked buddy working if he’d be willing to give me his opinion on it.  He took out a 2’ level and pointed out how the bottom was completely flat, also, how the rails were basically square except for the slight bevel on top and bottom.  He said the shaper did next to nothing but shape the nose and tail.  I felt like a dummy.  Thought I understood board physics a little better than that.  Hoping I can sell it for what I paid to a lightweight beginner who just wants to go straight in shorebreak.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #249 on: July 08, 2021, 07:31:55 AM »
Finally tried a quad fin setup on my lost lazyboy. Harder to pivot turns than thruster but the extra speed is enough that I could get in and out of a surprising amount of waves and sections that would have given me a hard time in the past. I think I can see why someone earlier was saying too much quad time was detrimental to their surfing— it definitely worked like a crutch for some of my poor positioning/bad form/inexperience. I see how a center fin creates drag now and I’m more interested than ever in trying new configurations, shapes, etc.

foureyedjim

« Reply #250 on: July 08, 2021, 08:28:34 AM »
Update on the hundred dollar board... it’s trash.  Took it out in some decent 3-5ft waves, and couldn’t understand why the waves kept rolling over the tail no matter how far up I moved when paddling.  Finally was able to pop up on a couple and would just bog out.  It felt like surfing a Kleenex box.  Had no play and didn’t “fit in the wave”.

Went to the nearby surf shop, bought some wax, and asked buddy working if he’d be willing to give me his opinion on it.  He took out a 2’ level and pointed out how the bottom was completely flat, also, how the rails were basically square except for the slight bevel on top and bottom.  He said the shaper did next to nothing but shape the nose and tail.  I felt like a dummy.  Thought I understood board physics a little better than that.  Hoping I can sell it for what I paid to a lightweight beginner who just wants to go straight in shorebreak.

This is exactly why I never pay any mind to the “local shapers” selling their entire stock on Craigslist.  The quality really varies and I’m not going to drop money on an experiment. 

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: July 10, 2021, 05:54:15 PM »
Ahh spewing haha, now that you mention it yeah it looks mad square...just sell it to someone bro, put it up online for 350
listen to cosmic psychos

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2021, 08:10:48 PM »
Oh I could’ve made a huge profit easy.  Was even offered an 8’ Southpoint worth like 500 for it.  Wish I was ruthless like that, but just couldn’t bring myself to rip anyone off worse than I was.  Put it back up for 100, and sold it to some girl and a carload of her friends, who reassured her it was a “great board”.  I predict it’ll be back up for sale soon, or stored in a closet for years to come.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2021, 02:30:21 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRQmeZeH5Q5/?utm_medium=copy_link

This is pretty rad, it’s a new twin fin by dhd
Mick fanning is very good on it
listen to cosmic psychos

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2021, 08:58:58 PM »
watched videos a bunch of you posted (psychic migrations etc.), felt inspired, and landed my first 360 tonight (just on the  lip of a small foamy wave, not airborne). felt great. is there a name for that trick?

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #255 on: August 13, 2021, 08:32:34 PM »
nice dude! its a 360 or rotation, I can never spin all the way around I go backwards then revert back

unless you mean the ones where you turn inward like a backside revert those are a bit easier

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #256 on: September 24, 2021, 07:25:13 AM »
flat spell. I feel like I get more and more manic until I can surf again.

Skating helps some

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2021, 11:19:05 AM »
I'd love to learn how to surf.  I spent a few days on the Oregon coast and chilled with some dudes from a surf shop up there, that got me a bit interested in trying it out.  But a) I live in Austin so it's not really convenient and b) I can't fucking swim lol.

Maybe one day if I find myself on the coast again I'll rent some gear and grab floaties.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #258 on: September 24, 2021, 11:29:23 AM »
I'd love to learn how to surf.  I spent a few days on the Oregon coast and chilled with some dudes from a surf shop up there, that got me a bit interested in trying it out.  But a) I live in Austin so it's not really convenient and b) I can't fucking swim lol.

Maybe one day if I find myself on the coast again I'll rent some gear and grab floaties.
funny enough i just moved to austin a month ago. it's not easy to surf when you live here but its still totally possible. i already drove down to the gulf to surf once. it was terrible but still fun, and i'll probably do it again pretty soon. where there's a will, there's a way.

but you definitely gotta learn to swim first

Landmine

« Reply #259 on: September 24, 2021, 11:40:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
funny enough i just moved to austin a month ago. it's not easy to surf when you live here but its still totally possible. i already drove down to the gulf to surf once. it was terrible but still fun, and i'll probably do it again pretty soon. where there's a will, there's a way.

but you definitely gotta learn to swim first

Where did you go?

My wife and her friends want to take a trip to Galveston in a few weeks at some point, I know there's "waves" there.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: September 24, 2021, 12:21:43 PM »
i went and scoped a few spots around corpus christi/port aransas. you might know more than me if you're an actual texan but i believe christi is both an easier drive (assuming you're coming from austin), and a cleaner beach than the galveston area.

this 2015 article about the scene at bob hall pier is a decent place to start. i had better luck and saw a lot more surfing at some other nearby spots, but i can't pretend to really know the scene:
https://www.surfer.com/features/around-the-bend/

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #261 on: September 24, 2021, 12:23:22 PM »
theres that wavepool in Waco, BSR Ranch. That place looks really fun

Landmine

« Reply #262 on: September 24, 2021, 12:41:13 PM »

The whole brain-eating-amoeba thing is kind of a turn off though

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #263 on: September 24, 2021, 12:52:30 PM »
yeah that does seem like a turnoff. I didn't know about it. Other than that it does look fun.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: September 24, 2021, 01:02:50 PM »

Speaking of the gulf, I just got this Vernor Mini Simmons to make crappy little waves a bit more fun. People seem to hold them in pretty high regard. Haven’t tried it out yet, hopefully soon

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #265 on: September 24, 2021, 02:56:09 PM »
Nice board!  Gonna throw the Polar sticker on there?  Saw a local dude take a Krooked sticker and arrange it to say “KOOK” on his board, thought that was pretty sick.

Flat spell here too, but might be able to catch some 2-3 footers tmrw.  Calling for 8ft @ 7s Sunday, 100% chance of rain and 24mph onshore winds.. not sure if that’s doable but might check it out.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: September 24, 2021, 03:21:29 PM »
Nah no sticker on the board atm, that sticker just chills in my surf kit in case I need to cover a little ding real quick

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: September 24, 2021, 06:32:43 PM »
listen to cosmic psychos

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #268 on: September 27, 2021, 05:39:41 AM »
Surfed Ft. Pierce yesterday in Florida and there was a whole lot of sharks in the water. Bait fish everywhere too. Waves were choppy but I was able to surf my new board so it was good. Just too many sharks though, which made it a little frustrating. Last time I surfed north of my home (about a month ago), I went to walton rocks and a guy near got his foot bit off by a shark. It seems like theres more than ever recently.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: September 27, 2021, 06:10:00 AM »
i went and scoped a few spots around corpus christi/port aransas. you might know more than me if you're an actual texan but i believe christi is both an easier drive (assuming you're coming from austin), and a cleaner beach than the galveston area.

this 2015 article about the scene at bob hall pier is a decent place to start. i had better luck and saw a lot more surfing at some other nearby spots, but i can't pretend to really know the scene:
https://www.surfer.com/features/around-the-bend/

ayo my hometown is corpus, Bob Hall pier gets reallys good, although it hasn't been as good and has been more fickle last few years. Packery Channel is more consistent and a slower wave. Usually a larger outside that has more longboards and then a dumpier inside that is fun. The crowds are usually bad here. A spot a lot of people sleep on is the seawall, the southside of packery channel over in front of the hotels gets fun. Port Aransas is fun although usually too slow to shortboard properly for me

Almost always better there than galveston. surfside and matagorda get pretty good too but i'd usually rather go to corpus.
living in houston now and the commute to galveston is a nightmare on the highway