Author Topic: Surfing  (Read 31650 times)

Huell Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
Re: Surfing
« Reply #420 on: May 04, 2022, 02:09:26 PM »
@mj23 that looks so fun, especially if its hot out. yeah, that inflatable board in the second vid looks rough to turn. you should try to find a beater foam board on craiglist for cheap. maybe even pop the fins off for extra fun haha

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #421 on: May 25, 2022, 04:06:59 PM »
bump

been riding this 6'1 mayhem evil twin my buddy let me borrow(random pic but same model).

it's been fun feelin like i'm riding something a bit more 'skatey' then my fish. I think I would really love something with similar dimensions but probably at about 5'11.

He also let me borrow a 5'7 album twin but goddamn did I get exercise paddling on that thing. I don't know the exact dimensions but it doesn't have much foam to it, feels tiny and thin compared to what I am usually riding. I was winded about 5 seconds after trying to paddle back out after catching a wave haha

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #422 on: May 26, 2022, 08:53:46 AM »
what fin setup are you using on that evil? I've always been interested in that board.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #423 on: May 26, 2022, 11:00:31 AM »
@finecojeffe running it with the twin and small trailer fin:

maybe you could shape something similar for fun haha

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #424 on: May 26, 2022, 01:13:10 PM »
That trailer almost directly between the twins is interesting. I definitely think of shaping a similar board. I'd like a small single fin, but not entirely sure I would put a wing on it (could be more due to my lack of confidence in shaping a proper wing though).

I did just finish up this twin plus trailer last week:

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #425 on: May 27, 2022, 09:09:24 AM »
That trailer almost directly between the twins is interesting. I definitely think of shaping a similar board. I'd like a small single fin, but not entirely sure I would put a wing on it (could be more due to my lack of confidence in shaping a proper wing though).

I did just finish up this twin plus trailer last week:

Yeah I don't get the purpose of the wing tbh, I need to look into it

damn, that thing is sick. nice work! getting better with each board

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #426 on: May 28, 2022, 07:29:07 AM »
Anyone here in NYC? I live in brooklyn and i am wondering how you guys get to and from the beach with the lease amount of hassle? I know you can rent a zipcar and drive there. Anyone here take their surfboards on the subway? Any tips n tricks?

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #427 on: May 28, 2022, 10:14:13 AM »
Anyone here in NYC? I live in brooklyn and i am wondering how you guys get to and from the beach with the lease amount of hassle? I know you can rent a zipcar and drive there. Anyone here take their surfboards on the subway? Any tips n tricks?
I drive in my car
They actually don’t allow boards on the subway
No boards allowed in zip cars either
Locals are really nasty they will cut your leash and wax your windshield if you bring a zip car out there
Sorry
😇

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #428 on: May 28, 2022, 12:56:46 PM »

it might be easiest for you to rent a locker out in either Rockaway or Long Beach and keep your board and suit there.

ZumaThraxx

• Rep: 16
« Reply #429 on: May 31, 2022, 02:54:42 PM »

I can't believe it took me this long to realize slap has a surf thread, anyways I picked up this 5'11 my friend shaped for me this morning, I'm really hyped with how it came out. I haven't surfed a glass-on thruster in years so this is going to be a fun little summer experiment.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #430 on: June 06, 2022, 09:37:13 PM »
@finecojeffe running it with the twin and small trailer fin:

maybe you could shape something similar for fun haha

I have those NPJ fins in the quad set on my groveler.  They are huge.I should try them as a twin + trailer on this board.

I've had this board for a few years now. I had  Dan Murdey make a version of the Lost Bean Bag (I call it the baked bean) but he pulled in the tail a tad.
Super fun in small shitty waves...

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #431 on: June 07, 2022, 05:25:51 AM »
that board looks great. The bean bag is a board that inspired me to start shaping really small boards. I think you'd love that npj twin plus trailer on that board. I've switch to twin + trailer on almost everything, although I've been going between the MR twin and the power twin sets. Surfing my thrusters with that setup has just been perfect.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #432 on: June 07, 2022, 10:51:20 AM »
@Frank and Fred that thing looks fun. dig the color too hah

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #433 on: June 07, 2022, 10:57:51 AM »
yeah, that thing looks like a blast

i learned how to surf on some fat stubs like that and i still think theyre ultra fun

how does the twin+trailer affect the boards you guys have been talking about? i imagine it splits the difference between a thruster and twin? similar to how a single+sidebites gives you something in between a single and thruster?

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #434 on: June 07, 2022, 01:21:47 PM »
yeah, that thing looks like a blast

i learned how to surf on some fat stubs like that and i still think theyre ultra fun

how does the twin+trailer affect the boards you guys have been talking about? i imagine it splits the difference between a thruster and twin? similar to how a single+sidebites gives you something in between a single and thruster?

lots of drive from the larger fins up front and a little hold from the trailer. It's like you said, split difference between twin and thruster.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #435 on: June 20, 2022, 10:02:55 AM »
Well finally go try Channel Islands Spinetek wet. Pretty amazing. I knew it was a keeper after the fist backhand slash. About to hit the coast for a three day run. Going to take a few sets of fins and hope to try it as a quad and twin+trailer. Water finally warm enough for a 4/3mm also but the North winds might cause some upwelling so who knows.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #436 on: June 21, 2022, 09:11:20 AM »
@Frank and Fred how's that three day run goin so far? jealous of the channel islands, looks super fun. been dreamin of getting one of these CI mikey february twin pins but there's no way I could afford rn lol:

a few weeks back  - we had a friend in town from japan who is 64 and all he wanted to do was surf everyday, so I felt obligated to fulfill that dream with him. I was out 13 days in a row, the longest streak i've ever had haha. I was dead by the end but also my body was kind of used to it. He ended up riding my friends mayhem evil twin I posted about a bit ago. I hope to still be surfing at his level at that age

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #437 on: June 22, 2022, 08:08:08 AM »
64...thats the goal!....and way beyond if possible.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #438 on: June 22, 2022, 01:52:49 PM »
@Huell Howser 13 days in a row. Solid! Been a long time since I have done that. Not since the days of being unemployed and living on the beach...

My 2 day campout was pretty lackluster. Our Spring curse continues. Some good moments here and there but funky conditions prevail. I can tell the board is going to be pretty amazing though. I didn't mess with fins but on some the more solid waves, I wish I'd tried it as a quad as I think that will tame the wider tail in solid surf... Looks like grovelers and my waterlogged delaminated longboard for the foreseeable future.

Trying to plan a late summer, K38 strike.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #439 on: June 24, 2022, 10:30:03 PM »
Don't know too much about surfing, but just saw a surf clip and started wondering whether surfing switch is a thing among pros?

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #440 on: June 24, 2022, 11:29:20 PM »
Don't know too much about surfing, but just saw a surf clip and started wondering whether surfing switch is a thing among pros?
Some pros definitely surf switch. JOB comes to mind, he’s always doing crazy stuff. However, during surf competitions they don’t. That would be crazy progression for pros landing switch air maneuvers during contests. Haven’t watched a contest in awhile, I don’t think it’s at that point yet… could be wrong

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #441 on: June 24, 2022, 11:36:10 PM »
Moved inland and to a different state. Desperately missing the sea. A couple days ago, spontaneously decided to drive to the Outer Banks. Never been there & it’s a 12 hour drive. Planning on staying there for at least 3 days. So pumped in the morning, made it about two hours then decided to turn back around lol. Just didn’t have it in me to make that drive probably because just drove across country when I moved a few months ago. Just got to thinking , maybe driving there to surf not feasible. Started brainstorming by imagining flying to Virginia then getting a rental car for OBX mission. All seems pricey. Thinking might as well just save my money & go to Hawaii once a year. Long story short, I miss surfing

Edit: After typing that all out, got me thinking more. The Great Lakes closer to me. Have any of you surfed the Great Lakes before?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 12:02:12 AM by rawr1922 »

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #442 on: June 25, 2022, 06:20:15 AM »

Check this clip of buttons around 3 minutes, he talks about going switch https://youtu.be/F06FlVg6vtI

There’s one clip I’ve seen of him^ switching back and forth in the midst of cutting back between switch and regular multiple times on one wave. It’s nuts haha

Also, joel Tudor comes to mind but usually on a longboard. As far as more “performance”‘surfing I am not the most familiar but I’m sure it happens...

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #443 on: June 26, 2022, 10:07:09 AM »
Thanks guys for the replies. Thought it might look tight going bs up a wave and then body varialing into fs slashing the lip. 

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #444 on: June 28, 2022, 06:15:05 AM »

Noa Deane recently did a switch alley oop in Volcom's, Lobotomy. @20:42

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuCgmKQnBfM&t=1269s&ab_channel=Volcom
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #445 on: June 28, 2022, 10:27:03 AM »
Last night I spun bs 270 and went down. This happens lots, but I went down really hard and the side of my head smacked the water so hard I realized this type of impact could potentially knock me out. Came away with just a mild headache, but it's a wake up call.

shpongle

• Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #446 on: June 28, 2022, 01:59:06 PM »

I would like to share my favorite surf photo ever

Frank and Fred

« Reply #447 on: June 28, 2022, 03:09:20 PM »
Last night I spun bs 270 and went down. This happens lots, but I went down really hard and the side of my head smacked the water so hard I realized this type of impact could potentially knock me out. Came away with just a mild headache, but it's a wake up call.

What were you trying to do?

I've definitely smacked my head and got whiplash on a few occasions catching a rail on a bad turn or getting pitched by the lip. Water can hurt.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #448 on: June 28, 2022, 04:07:25 PM »
@Frank and Fred  I was trying to spin a 360. I've done a few, but often stall, then put too much weight on the backfoot trying to bring it around, as in this case. Felt pretty much  like blocking on a fs powerslide, I was pretty high on the face of the wave and came down hard.

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #449 on: June 29, 2022, 05:32:54 AM »
that sucks man, hopefully the headache is gone by now and you stick the next 360.