Author Topic: CARS THREAD  (Read 29121 times)

JRF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 145
Re: CARS THREAD
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2022, 09:49:30 PM »
Anyone here an Audi owner? considering leaving my Subaru in the past and getting something with more pep... Audi is aesthetically my top pick but unsure about reliability.

I owned a few older audis (late 80’s and early 90’s) and back in the early 00’s I owned a few Audi a4’s and a 2000 B5 S4, overall I liked the older 80’s/90’s audis but it was always hard to find parts for them, especially affordable parts.. don’t know what the newer Audis are like but it seems like they get heavier and heavier the as time goes on, but that’s probably the consensus with every car company. My overall favorite Audi I owned was a 1999 A8, I loved that car but body parts and windows for it were ridiculously overpriced, i broke the front passenger and rear passenger windows and the price for factory windows with factory matching tint color was $1800, it was cheaper to try and find a full set of windows from a junkyard, but it was rare to find one at a junkyard with salvageable parts. Pretty much owned VWs and Audis all of my life. Just recently bought my 2nd BMW (2002 e46 M3) and I really like it, biggest reason is that it’s rear wheel drive which is a lot more fun on a spirited drive than most of the front wheel drive VWs I’ve owned and it dosent feel like a fat pig around corners like a lot of the all wheel drive Audis I’ve owned in the past.
//////////

JRF

« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2022, 09:54:06 PM »
Big bump for this thread, but I recently joined the Miata gang after finding a super clean example on Craigslist. It's been a fun time with it so far, and I've gotten comfortable driving a stick fairly quickly. I got some sticky tires put on it this morning, and now it can take corners quickly with no problem whatsoever. I know people tend to modify Miatas quite a bit, but I'd like to leave this one stock for the most part.

That’s a clean Miata, looks nice.
//////////

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2022, 05:22:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Big bump for this thread, but I recently joined the Miata gang after finding a super clean example on Craigslist. It's been a fun time with it so far, and I've gotten comfortable driving a stick fairly quickly. I got some sticky tires put on it this morning, and now it can take corners quickly with no problem whatsoever. I know people tend to modify Miatas quite a bit, but I'd like to leave this one stock for the most part.

[close]

Sick! Dropping from 4th to 3rd at 50 mph is too fun.

How about a luggage rack? Straight class…

https://www.amazon.com/Surco-DR1007-Stainless-Steel-Removable/dp/B000LRFDAE/ref=asc_df_B000LRFDAE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312111914138&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9353745240085886957&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052758&hvtargid=pla-570111836069&psc=1

I've considered it, but I still have a Civic as my daily, so I don't really think I need it at the moment.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2022, 05:24:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks, definitely a good example of one. The interior is in great shape too, and since it's the "premium" spec it has leather seats, AC, and all that good stuff.

JRF

« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2022, 07:26:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks, definitely a good example of one. The interior is in great shape too, and since it's the "premium" spec it has leather seats, AC, and all that good stuff.
Nice! I’ve always wanted a Miata, probably one of the best cars for tight windy back roads, really good weight distribution, but usually I’m not a big fan of how they look but your’s and a few others I’ve seen be for just look like they’re done right, subtle, not a drastically modified exterior, just clean and subtle, a clean OEM plus look and it’s getting hard to find a good example worth buying because a lot of them get clapped to hell and back by a previous owner and a nice clean example like your’s is getting really expensive and rare to find. Good shit for sure man!
//////////

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2022, 08:44:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Nice! I’ve always wanted a Miata, probably one of the best cars for tight windy back roads, really good weight distribution, but usually I’m not a big fan of how they look but your’s and a few others I’ve seen be for just look like they’re done right, subtle, not a drastically modified exterior, just clean and subtle, a clean OEM plus look and it’s getting hard to find a good example worth buying because a lot of them get clapped to hell and back by a previous owner and a nice clean example like your’s is getting really expensive and rare to find. Good shit for sure man!

Exactly - it's not going to blow anyone away on the straights, but man is it a joy in the twisties. It still has the stock suspension, and for the time-being I don't have any inclination to get coils or some more sporty setup. Feels just fine as is. Stiffer than a regular road car, but still has enough give to not be brutal on regular roads. Hope you manage to snag one up eventually; it really does put a big grin on my face every time I take it out. I paid a bit more than I would have liked ($9k at 80k miles), but I don't regret it at all. Hell, if I need/want to sell it down the road there's a good chance I could make my money back. Simple lightweight cars will become more and more desirable for enthusiasts as the standard car becomes increasingly more bulbous and digital.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #186 on: July 02, 2022, 02:52:57 PM »
Never been much of a "car" guy other than keeping my 90s civics running well, but I've been wrenching a lot more the past few years.

Main whip is an 07 outback. 5 SPD, 3" body lift. Learned basic shit like CV replacement, cooling system, etc. Paid someone to do the clutch at 200k. Gotta do drive shaft and wheel bearings soon, but it seems fairly straight forward. Having the body lift makes getting under very easy. I bought it 7 years ago at 145k (now 205k) for $4200 and used it for living in the moutains. Driven it x-country 4 times now. Its great for camping and hauling stuff.

Once I get the drive shaft and bearings done, I'd like to sell it as 21.9mpg isn't so good at 6.59/gallon.

I bought an 85 VW vanagon tin top 1.9L water boxer for $4k (very similar to my Subaru engine) last summer and its been my rolling project. Got it registered and smogged a couple weeks back and its golden. I pulled the heads and replaced em, replaced exhaust system, fuel tank and lines and got deep into the electrical work. Tracking down 37 yr old wiring is fun...

Started my interior work with a bamboo snap floor and some redwood plank for other paneling. Gotta get some birch paneling for the wall/door paneling. Then I've gotta do some cutting and welding to install a swivel base under the passenger seat.

Ita been a great learning curve and makes the brain stay sharp. Eventually, I'll pull the whole engine and replace it with another one I've got that has only 30k on it (mine is unknown mileage but strong)

Back bench folds into a queen sized bed that's better than some house beds I've had too...

I post pics later

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2022, 05:32:47 AM »
Over 2 years ago my rusty 1998 E38 740 started to smoke and I had to tow it to the garage. There it spent a  few months on a parking lot whilst I debated what to do with it: Get rid of it or give it another lease of life. Guess what I did. The car went to a country where repairs are cheaper than where I live and got a wellness treatment, mostly exterior body work and paint (plus fixing the heating which had caused the smoke). When it came back many moons later, it looked good but the electronic roof had died and caused a general electronics short-circuit. This meant more expensive work was required, and more time passed. When this was done, I still had one problem: The engine had always been leaking oil but this was getting worse so once again to another country it went  to fix all joints and tubes in the motor that were leaking. I got it back yesterday and took it to the car-wash today. It never looked that good and probably will never look that good again so I snapped a picture which I thought I might as well share with y'all as I know there are a few vintage BMW enjoyers on these forums.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2022, 08:26:48 AM »
Wow what a beautiful ride Easy Slider! How many miles?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2022, 09:33:49 AM »
Wow what a beautiful ride Easy Slider! How many miles?

Cheers brah. 280k km = 173k miles. Honestly the engine is probably the last thing to worry about on these cars. It‘s the facelift 4.4l V8, very reliable. Now I have probably jinxed it tho.  ;D
why come?

JRF

« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2022, 07:44:10 PM »
My gti

//////////

JRF

« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2022, 07:55:48 PM »

Then some fucking douchebag pulled out into on coming traffic right in front of me without looking

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 08:10:36 PM by JRF »
//////////

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2022, 08:09:11 PM »

Then some fucking douchebag pulled out into on coming traffic right in front of me without looking

https://imgur.com/a/Yr7gD4t.jpg

Is that a mark 3 with BBS wheels? Color me jealous.

I had a 95’ GTI VR6 and it was such a wonderful car. The new cars are loaded with so much safety equipment that they are just not as fun to drive.

Hopefully it’s not a total cause there is no way your insurance would give you the money it’s worth.

This is the same car I had color and all…

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2022, 08:20:00 PM »

Aw fuck, that hurts my heart.
Here's my ghetto ass 06 RSX...

JRF

« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2022, 08:25:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had a 95’ GTI VR6 and it was such a wonderful car. The new cars are loaded with so much safety equipment that needs it’s just not as fun to drive.

Hopefully it’s not a total cause there is no way your insurance would give you the money it’s worth.

Since it was the other driver’s fault his insurance actually paid out double the value of the car (which still isn’t shit but better than nothing) after that, I parted out the car,,,,sold the turbo set up for a decent price, the engine was fine, no damage to the block and it was a freshly rebuilt low comp 12 VR with a built head and a forged r32 crank (stroker crank when ran in a 12v vr), plug and play lugtronic Standalone plug and play set up and a couple other goodies that survived the wreck and the accumulation of cash when all was said and done basically bought me this as a replacement

Still though, even though the e46 m3 is holding its price and actually going up in price and it’s got low miles and it’s well maintained, I’d still rather have the gti back instead, I had so much money, time, blood, sweat and tears invested into it.. I bought it bone stock in pretty rough shape back in 2016 when I first got clean and sober and it was coming together nicely, the hard work was paying off, a paint job was all that it really needed and it would’ve been completed.. plus it was yeeehaaa! Bonkers, in a straight line drag race . I miss that car, it meant a lot to me and had a lot of sentimental value, it went on a journey with me, cleaning up my shitty drug addicted life and cleaning up the neglect on the gti at the same tiMe
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 08:38:55 PM by JRF »
//////////

JRF

« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2022, 08:28:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had a 95’ GTI VR6 and it was such a wonderful car. The new cars are loaded with so much safety equipment that they are just not as fun to drive.

This is the same car I had color and all…

Nice, that mulberry color looks so good on those mk3 gti vrs, and it’s a pretty rare color to find too, one of the rarest of the mk3 us models. Looks dope man!
//////////

JRF

« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2022, 08:31:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Aw fuck, that hurts my heart.
Here's my ghetto ass 06 RSX...

im not a big fan of Hondas but I like that body style RSX a lot, one of the only Honda/Acura cars I’d own, along with the 91 body style civic hatches and the first gen NSX… looks good man, I like it.
//////////

JRF

« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2022, 08:44:07 PM »
Enjoying the m3 for sure though. I’ve got a couple projects in the works for it this winter when the weather gets bad and it gets locked in the garage until next spring.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 09:13:36 PM by JRF »
//////////

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1059
« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2022, 08:51:06 PM »
Bought a 18' limited Crosstrek w/ 8k miles, fully loaded, in April. Considering trading up to a Forester or Outback if I let go of some stock.

Update: FUCK that gutless crosstrek. I got a 18 3.6 outback and love it

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2022, 11:17:13 PM »
Enjoying the m3 for sure though. I’ve got a couple projects in the works for it this winter when the weather gets bad and it gets locked in the garage until next spring.

Tell you what that M3 is gorgeous.
why come?

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2022, 12:40:31 AM »
I salute you all with those two door VWs. and I've yet to find a fun one on Turo.
Looking for a Golf R in the last two door year, 17 I think.

So far my buddy and I have new 86 and Miata RF sticks lined up for renting soon, we're gonna be running them through the nearby canyons for a day.

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

JRF

« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2022, 12:13:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tell you what that M3 is gorgeous.

Thanks man.
//////////

JRF

« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2022, 12:16:25 PM »
I salute you all with those two door VWs. and I've yet to find a fun one on Turo.
Looking for a Golf R in the last two door year, 17 I think.

So far my buddy and I have new 86 and Miata RF sticks lined up for renting soon, we're gonna be running them through the nearby canyons for a day.

I don’t know how hard it is to find the older 2 door golf R’s but the old mk1,mk2 and mk3 gti’s, Jetta coupes and golfs are almost impossible to find these days, at least ones that aren’t I need of a lot of work. I’ve been looking for a decent project mk2 gti to buy for 5 years now.
//////////

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #203 on: August 21, 2022, 07:07:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Bought a 18' limited Crosstrek w/ 8k miles, fully loaded, in April. Considering trading up to a Forester or Outback if I let go of some stock.
[close]

Damn really not feeling the crosstrek huh? was thinking of getting one myself

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #204 on: August 21, 2022, 07:27:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Damn really not feeling the crosstrek huh? was thinking of getting one myself

I really wanted to get a 3.6 before they were phased out but I couldn’t justify another gas hog with all the city driving I do. Pretty glad I bought a hybrid before everything got crazy.

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #205 on: August 21, 2022, 07:32:08 PM »
2012 Prius, 129K miles (mainly my wife drives, but still a soft spot in my heart for Power mode and 50+ mpg)
2012 RX450H, 145K miles (soccer mom fave, but way more cushy, my main driver now)

love me some hybrid synergy drive

wahwahwah

• Rep: -3
« Reply #206 on: September 05, 2022, 02:32:00 PM »
im young as fuck but just getting my drivers licence gonna get me a golf MK2 and some speakers so i can blast max b full volume and disturb as many people as humanly possible
Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2022, 05:55:08 AM »
im young as fuck but just getting my drivers licence gonna get me a golf MK2 and some speakers so i can blast max b full volume and disturb as many people as humanly possible

Don't be that guy

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #208 on: September 06, 2022, 09:07:47 AM »
I've had a bunch of interesting cars over the years, it's a bit of a wallet draining passion.

Definately have a thing for JDM imports, fortunately that's a lot cheaper and easier here in the UK than it is in the USA.

Some pics of the last few-

My old 2001 mk2 MX5 1.6 Phoenix

1996 JDM Mitsubishi Mirage Asti (1.6 Mivec, 170bhp with 8k redline)

2002 JDM Integra Type R DC5

2000 JDM Toyota bB (current whip)

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #209 on: November 27, 2022, 02:18:24 PM »
Shitbox 68 coupe de ville I had a few years back

Ended up swapping the cam for a bigger one, intake carb were also swapped for performance parts and all the smog crap was tossed. Converted to dual exhaust with some glass packs and the whole passenger side was caved in when I got it. Ended up shaving the marker lights, stainless trim, & handles/locks. Was going to put the 472 into a 66 C10 for my kid but we ended up selling that truck when I got my 31. Caddy left a few years back as well.