Author Topic: CARS THREAD  (Read 29115 times)

L33Tg33k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
Re: CARS THREAD
« Reply #210 on: November 27, 2022, 06:24:42 PM »
Anybody got EV recs?
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #211 on: December 30, 2022, 03:16:14 PM »
Does anyone have recommendations for models/years of BMWs are good and which models/years to stay away from?

I know @DGKALIS is a BMW guy but it seems like there are a ton of you that are BMW aficionados
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #212 on: December 30, 2022, 04:21:33 PM »
I guess it depends what kind you’re after. Three series (e30/e36/e46) are all quite popular and fairly simple to work on, also lots of parts and aftermarket support available.

Anything starting from the 2000’s and onward will have a lot more electronics and aside from the e39 are considered when BMWs started to change for the worse.

Was there any specific model you had your eye on?

My first was an e28 533i, which along side my father got back into a good state. Was my first introduction of cars and was fairly easy to work on. From there I sold it for an e34 touring.

I belobe @JRF has an e36 M3 so he might be able to weigh in.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #213 on: December 30, 2022, 05:09:40 PM »
I would say buy a 328i. Depending on how old you want to go, I would search between 2013-2016. Keep in mind that cars 10 years are creaky, thumpy and things are starting to wear out—such as headliners sagging, etc.. Here is a link that advocates for 2005-2013. I wouldn’t buy a 10 year old car but it’s your call.

https://www.hotcars.com/e90-328i-most-reliable-bmw/

DGKALIS

• Rep: 533
« Reply #214 on: January 01, 2023, 09:59:13 AM »
Does anyone have recommendations for models/years of BMWs are good and which models/years to stay away from?

I know @DGKALIS is a BMW guy but it seems like there are a ton of you that are BMW aficionados

If you are hands on and can do the majority of the maintenance yourself.. then anything pre 2003 is cool. If you have a friend who is a BMW tech that you can hire on the side for help with more complex things like Vanos, timing chain guides, ect, then i would say anything 2004-2010 is cool. Anything newer than 2010 can have potential to have electronic nightmares, fuel system nightmares, and are super expensive to fix. So if you get a newer one.. i would either lease, or buy a CPO with a full bumper to bumper warranty... 
I used to be a BMW fan.. but they lost me with all the electronic systems. I had a X5M that drove fine, parked it overnight, woke up and the truck was smoking like crazy. Ended up needed a complete fuel system.(fuel pumps, injectors, ect. no clue what made it all go bad overnight) $10k. Luckily it still had warranty. I got it fixed and got rid of it.
I been into the older cars these days. Super easy to fix, mod, diagnose, just harder to get parts for them.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #215 on: January 01, 2023, 12:57:20 PM »
Don‘t get an E38 if you want it cheap and easy. They had all the electronic stuff first generation. They rust. They piss oil. I sank 5k into mine to get the rust fixed last year. I just sunk another 5k into it to get it dry enough to pass the bi annual exam. Three days later the chain tensioner gave up. I still love it, tho. It‘s the most beautiful sedan ever built and when it works it drives like a dream.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #216 on: January 01, 2023, 03:24:05 PM »
Thanks so much for the information, I am very glad I asked! Sounds like I was going to make a terrible decision, especially since I am not mechanically inclined and was planning on getting something between 2016 and 2021.

@GardenSkater77
@Easy Slider
@DGKALIS
@sometimeperhaps
+1 to you Gs

Looks like I'm back to the drawing board. Might go the lexus route if there are cool body kits or something really unexciting
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2023, 02:53:56 PM »
Thanks so much for the information, I am very glad I asked! Sounds like I was going to make a terrible decision, especially since I am not mechanically inclined and was planning on getting something between 2016 and 2021.

@GardenSkater77
@Easy Slider
@DGKALIS
@sometimeperhaps
+1 to you Gs

Looks like I'm back to the drawing board. Might go the lexus route if there are cool body kits or something really unexciting

If you are looking at Luxury Japanese cars I would consider Mazda. It is in between economy and luxury but they drive really nice. You should at least test drive.

https://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/mazda-3

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
« Reply #218 on: February 15, 2023, 03:27:45 AM »
Didn't know where else to put this, but some of the red bull team (Foy, Zion etc) racing crown vic's at the freedom factory was a bit of a surprise. Starts around 19:50 mark.
https://youtu.be/VGCAsmXc7yU?t=1189

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2023, 08:11:11 AM »
For the BMW guys I’ve been eyeing some 03-04 325Ci’s does but I’ve noticed most used ones near me are all being sold specifically with 100-110k miles. Do they start to crap out soon after? I have 0 experience with BMW.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2023, 08:40:07 AM »
For the BMW guys I’ve been eyeing some 03-04 325Ci’s does but I’ve noticed most used ones near me are all being sold specifically with 100-110k miles. Do they start to crap out soon after? I have 0 experience with BMW.

That is pretty low mileage for a 20 year old car. Unless you plan to go head to toe over the car I wouldn’t buy it.

I believe age is more of a factor in modern cars than mileage. If a person commutes 20K miles a year they are driving mostly on the highway. As long as the oil is changed regularly (and have records) the car will drive fine.

Kalis talks about BMW cars of this vintage, but for all we know he is gutting them and is just buying for the body.

If you are serious about buying a BMW ask the seller to have the car inspected by a certified BMW mechanic. Tell the person you will pay for the inspection. I have bought cars (and not bought cars) based on the seller’s reaction to this request. I have also had cars go through a full inspection that they do for their pre-owned certified program.

Also, look for garage kept. If you are buying a luxury car it should be treated better than a Honda Civic.

Have fun car shopping…It’s more fun than car buying.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #221 on: February 15, 2023, 10:32:14 AM »
At 100k the BM engine is just about broken in. Enquire about previous owners, the best are old dudes who never mistreated the car, worst young guys who had it as their first car. There are good Bimmer forums, ask your questions there.
why come?

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #222 on: February 15, 2023, 05:44:02 PM »
Thank you guys, yeah I’m for sure gonna stop being stubborn and just sign up for the various forums of cars I’m into so I can actually study up before sinking money into a deathtrap.

Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #223 on: February 15, 2023, 09:31:39 PM »
Thank you guys, yeah I’m for sure gonna stop being stubborn and just sign up for the various forums of cars I’m into so I can actually study up before sinking money into a deathtrap.

I had an E36 318 ti before and it was as reliable and low maintenance as a Toyota. Now I have an E38 and have sunk 20k into it in the last two years alone. Loved both cars but yes, better make sure you know what you‘re getting into especially if you don’t have disposable income.
why come?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #224 on: February 15, 2023, 10:24:31 PM »
Anyone have an interest in older Japanese made hatchbacks? I have a 1987 Toyota Corolla FX16 GTS. I just drive it on weekends. I'll post photos in a little bit.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2023, 10:52:21 PM »
Anyone have an interest in older Japanese made hatchbacks? I have a 1987 Toyota Corolla FX16 GTS. I just drive it on weekends. I'll post photos in a little bit.

Love all hatchbacks. Always wanted a VW rabbit GTI back in the day. My one friend had a CRX and my other friend had this bad boy…

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2023, 11:00:38 PM »
First car I learned to drive stick on. My dad’s whip. 1985 Merkur XR4TI. Fun fun car. Rear wheel drive.

Rocko

• Rep: 39
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2023, 08:36:20 PM »
Sold my 2015 Mazda 3 hatch for something a little taller, been doing a lot of driving for work.

Got a Tacoma, TRD 4WD all that. Didn’t need the off road but I got it at MSRP from the dealer. Anyone know of a good bed cover?

JoseCansnake0

• Rep: -31
« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2023, 05:33:19 AM »
Sold my 2015 Mazda 3 hatch for something a little taller, been doing a lot of driving for work.

Got a Tacoma, TRD 4WD all that. Didn’t need the off road but I got it at MSRP from the dealer. Anyone know of a good bed cover?

Tonneau covers are tried and true. Depends if you want a folder, or a roller. Folders (hard plastic) look cleaner and prevent people from being shitty. Only down fall is they don't fold all the way to the end of the bed.

I just bought a 2021 toyota tundra platinum this year. I tow a boat and dirt bike, and just preferred the cab space over the tacoma, as well as the last of the V8!! I reckon this truck will last me forever if I so choose.

JoseCansnake0

« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2023, 05:44:50 AM »

Rocko

• Rep: 39
« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2023, 07:41:05 PM »

Looks good man, is the bed 5 or 6 ft?

I ended up getting a $200 rolling bed cover from Amazon. Seen a bunch of good reviews, I’ll follow up once I get it on.

JoseCansnake0

« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2023, 01:21:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Looks good man, is the bed 5 or 6 ft?

I ended up getting a $200 rolling bed cover from Amazon. Seen a bunch of good reviews, I’ll follow up once I get it on.

5.5'

I'm sure it'll suit your needs just fine. Mine came with a tri-fold toyota brand.

Enjoy the Tacoma!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2023, 01:30:35 PM »

I've been through (3)bmw's including a 99 M3 and a lot of the parts are plastic, so yea just dont drive it a lot.  Also all my bmw's and friends who had them all had radiator and oil leaks.   My old m3 had a pretty bad oil leak and the idle valve eventually gave out.   

I still want an old 88 evo M3, would only drive it like 1-2x a year.  they also go for over 100k....

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #233 on: April 09, 2023, 07:12:03 AM »
Moved to a place where it snows. Now I’m afraid of the rust destroying my beloved truck. I’m exploring options to buy a car to save my truck. In the past, bought a 1999 Camry salvage title for $900 while living in Hawaii. That car ran so smooth. Leaning towards getting another Camry anywhere from 1996-2001. 

Went down a rabbit hole last night, discovered the second generation Lexus LS400 1995-2000. Can’t stop daydreaming. A 4.0L V8 engine with a reputation of lasting more than 200,000 miles with people claiming 300,000-400,000 miles. They look pretty sharp inside & out. Pretty crazy… a 1999 LS400 cost $53,000 brand new. In true yuppie fashion, the Lexus LS400 unveiled to the public in front of The San Francisco Opera House.

Any of you pals have any recommendations of low maintenance cars with a reputation of being a tank & lasting forever?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #234 on: April 09, 2023, 07:17:42 AM »
Moved to a place where it snows. Now I’m afraid of the rust destroying my beloved truck. I’m exploring options to buy a car to save my truck. In the past, bought a 1999 Camry salvage title for $900 while living in Hawaii. That car ran so smooth. Leaning towards getting another Camry anywhere from 1996-2001. 

Went down a rabbit hole last night, discovered the second generation Lexus LS400 1995-2000. Can’t stop daydreaming. A 4.0L V8 engine with a reputation of lasting more than 200,000 miles with people claiming 300,000-400,000 miles. They look pretty sharp inside & out. Pretty crazy… a 1999 LS400 cost $53,000 brand new. In true yuppie fashion, the Lexus LS400 unveiled to the public in front of The San Francisco Opera House.

Any of you pals have any recommendations of low maintenance cars with a reputation of being a tank & lasting forever?

That y2k era of Japanese cars was just the sweet spot for reliability, especially in Toyotas. The computerization was minimal compared to today, the gas mileage is great and they perform well too. I have a 2001 RAV4 that is my non-work car and it's just excellent. Any 4 cylinder Toyota from that era will be relatively cheap and last forever. Honda from that era is good too, especially the civics.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #235 on: April 09, 2023, 07:24:11 AM »
The Japanese know how to engineer legit automobiles. Your RAV4 sounds excellent Modern War. Brand new cars more expensive than ever. Been toying with the idea of buying a new Honda Civic. Cost $25K here which is one of the cheapest new rides. What do you think of that plan? I daydream about buying that new Civic & not having to buy another car for at least 20 years. Any of you have a newer model Civic?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #236 on: April 09, 2023, 07:43:55 AM »
As this thread was bumped anyway I thought I'd post another picture of my 7 series. I pumped another few thousand bucks into it and yesterday went to thoroughly clean it. It still leaks oil and has other defects but it rides smooth as ever and looks just fantastic, imho.

why come?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #237 on: April 09, 2023, 11:46:16 AM »
As this thread was bumped anyway I thought I'd post another picture of my 7 series. I pumped another few thousand bucks into it and yesterday went to thoroughly clean it. It still leaks oil and has other defects but it rides smooth as ever and looks just fantastic, imho.

I love 7 series…. Spy cars!

What yr is it?

Im selling my subaru. No need for it. Testing a 95 mazda protege this afternoon. Ha ha ha big shift from a lifted off road outback to a 95 sedan! But with my vanagon, i dont need 2 gas guzzlers….

85 VW vanagon, 4 spd manual trans, 1.9 WBX. Been restoring it myself, so i feel the constant leaks and so forth!!!
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #238 on: April 09, 2023, 12:12:38 PM »
That’s a fine seven series. Love the style 32’s on there. I’ve been tempted to get a pair. What engine are you running?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: April 09, 2023, 01:57:11 PM »
@IusedToSkateMore cheers, it‘s a 1998, i.e. facelift. My dad always has Mazdas, in 95 he had the 626 and that‘s what I learned how to drive with. They are good cars, low maintenance. We also had a VW van with a few buddies for skate and snowboard excursions, until I killed it.

@sometimeperhaps it‘s the facelift 4,4 l V8, arguably the best engine. Almost as powerful as the V12 but less prone to problems. The engine just runs, but I had issues with almost every other part of the car. Still wouldn‘t want to miss it.
why come?