Author Topic: Skaters that shoulda had bigger careers  (Read 16607 times)

Baron Samedi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
Re: Skaters that shoulda had bigger careers
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2014, 11:19:34 AM »
Brian Downey. He came up in Florida at the same time as Ben Gore and Brad Cromer, and although being as good as them, never got his due.
He's sick - his part with that Radiohead song in the Florida video with Ben Gore and Cromer (SkateFL2 I think it was) was really good. On that tip, Brian Botelho always looked super rad to me and never got a lot of shine. Saw him skate with Downey in person in SF and he rips.

Pretty much everyone on Think has gotten dealt a shit hand in my opinion. Not because there's anything wrong with Think, but it doesn't seem like being on that team opened up anybody to good shoe deals or other endorsements unless they were really crushing it at the time, like Bachinsky. It sort of put people underground from the get-go if that makes sense.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2014, 11:50:29 AM »
Jeremy Wray. Maybe he's just a total asshole or something but I always felt he shoulda been huge

that dude should be getting tons of nike money...

Cant believe he is an asshole either. Ive talked to jonas and jeremy before, and theyre superfriendly guys...

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Brian Downey. He came up in Florida at the same time as Ben Gore and Brad Cromer, and although being as good as them, never got his due.
[close]
He's sick - his part with that Radiohead song in the Florida video with Ben Gore and Cromer (SkateFL2 I think it was) was really good. On that tip, Brian Botelho always looked super rad to me and never got a lot of shine. Saw him skate with Downey in person in SF and he rips.

Pretty much everyone on Think has gotten dealt a shit hand in my opinion. Not because there's anything wrong with Think, but it doesn't seem like being on that team opened up anybody to good shoe deals or other endorsements unless they were really crushing it at the time, like Bachinsky. It sort of put people underground from the get-go if that makes sense.

dela on habitat
josh matthews on organika now and on es before that failing and then going on to huf
cody mcentire on blind and vox
manny on echo and rockstar energy drink axion etc etc
basically where I'm getting at is there was more than a few dudes who made it out of that camp

Cristiano Ronaldo's Ego

• Rep: 5
  • "I don't like being alone"
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2014, 12:22:56 PM »
Danny Renaud. I feel like before he had his fall that his skating was moving into a very raw area. He used to have such finesse and power. I think he could've been the undisputed greatest east coast skater of all time.

beat me to the punch. if dude hadn't left habitat he could have been a janoski-like figure.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2014, 12:31:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

dela on habitat
josh matthews on organika now and on es before that failing and then going on to huf
basically where I'm getting at is there was more than a few dudes who made it out of that camp
That's not what I'm talking about though. I'm talking about the dudes who stayed in that camp, not how things panned out after for those who left. I'm talking about Russ Milligan, Danny Fuenzalida, Adrian Williams, Jeremy Reeves, etc. The way you're framing it you might as well include Daryl Angel, Lizard King, Dan Drehobl and the Butcher.

logan chase

« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
tony tave

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »
Russ Milligan needs to get paid. Dude is fucking amazing. He should be on Habitat instead of Danny Garcia. That would be awesome!!!!!

Niko Katavainen

• Rep: -4
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2014, 12:50:26 PM »
Speyer
Julien

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2014, 01:15:50 PM »
Henry Sanchez, if the guy didn't keep falling out with sponsors he'd be mentioned with Koston, Carroll and Daewon as one of the greatest street skaters of all time. Outside of that Devine Calloway, Trainwreck, Scott Kane, and I really thought little Jav was gonna be big shit just never broke right for him.

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2014, 02:45:50 PM »
Todd Falcon
Doug Brown
Pine
do more yoga!

ungzilla

« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2014, 02:48:56 PM »
wtf! dennis durrant!

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2014, 02:50:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

dela on habitat
[close]
That's not what I'm talking about though. I'm talking about the dudes who stayed in that camp, not how things panned out after for those who left. I'm talking about Russ Milligan, Danny Fuenzalida, Adrian Williams, Jeremy Reeves, etc. The way you're framing it you might as well include Daryl Angel, Lizard King, Dan Drehobl and the Butcher.

you didn't clarify that. But even so dudes there got legitimate sponsors when they was on think. josh got on es and huf while he was on. lee got on osiris when he was on

era

« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2014, 02:58:54 PM »
Dave bachinsky is currently being screwd over .  Can slap do anything about that ?

Bachinsky screwed himself over by showcasing his personality.  Being a red neck whole loves cigarettes and hamburgers is not what sells boards.

Miyagi

« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2014, 03:03:02 PM »
Aaron Harrison

This part always got me hyped to skate.

Miyagi

« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2014, 03:04:22 PM »
I'm gonna go ahead say Kenny Hoyle if he wasn't already mentioned.

Early Hokus Pokus

• Rep: -59
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2014, 03:11:49 PM »
vimeo.com/33126924

Cut the bullshit tho

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2014, 03:16:32 PM »
austen Seaholm

Austin seaholm was in that class of super dudes kicking everyone ass in contest (like nyjah, sheck, ortiz, i think duncombe too)  thought he was gonna get scoped up just like the rest of the. then he sorta fell off. He still wins random contest in Europe and asia, but not skating against any big names

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -379
  • ants suck!
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

dela on habitat
[close]
[close]

you didn't clarify that. But even so dudes there got legitimate sponsors when they was on think. josh got on es and huf while he was on. lee got on osiris when he was on
HAHA, YOU THINK MANNY SHOULD HAVE A BETTER CARRER   HAHAHAHAH
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Early Hokus Pokus

• Rep: -59
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2014, 03:36:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

dela on habitat
[close]
[close]

[close]

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2014, 03:54:53 PM »
austen Seaholm

Austin seaholm was in that class of super dudes kicking everyone ass in contest (like nyjah, sheck, ortiz, i think duncombe too)  thought he was gonna get scoped up just like the rest of the. then he sorta fell off. He still wins random contest in Europe and asia, but not skating against any big names
He never got anywhere cuz of his attitude, everyone knew he was good but he was just such a douche. Him throwing a fit like a baby for getting second in tamps that year sealed the fact that he would never make it in skating no matter how good he was. Can't lie the kid was fucking good though.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2014, 04:09:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

dela on habitat
[close]
[close]

[close]

so wait manny don't have a better career than he had on think with famous stars and straps, venture(by default)and dc flow? He may not have the most glamorous sponsors but he has sponsors that pays him and national recognition with street league not to mention a automatic 5gs for showing up

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »
Expand Quote
austen Seaholm

[close]
He never got anywhere cuz of his attitude, everyone knew he was good but he was just such a douche. Him throwing a fit like a baby for getting second in tamps that year sealed the fact that he would never make it in skating no matter how good he was. Can't lie the kid was fucking good though.
I remember in some Lizard King interview he was talking about how horrible Austen Seaholm is and then he's like "Austin Seaholm is a faggot. Wait, can you make that the really big text?" So that was the banner text on one of the pages, it just said "Austin Seaholm is a faggot" really big. I thought that was hilarious.

JAesop

« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »
Mike Frazier...but there could be a whole list of vert guys. Especially from the 90's dead zone era.
Stormy Pruitt.
Roger Seliner.  Doing switch shit so long ago. Don't know if he was ever pro though..
Alan Peterson.
Tosh Townend came out so hard and just faded. I know he had injuries.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »
Mike Frazier...but there could be a whole list of vert guys. Especially from the 90's dead zone era.
Stormy Pruitt.
Roger Seliner.  Doing switch shit so long ago. Don't know if he was ever pro though..
Alan Peterson.
Tosh Townend came out so hard and just faded. I know he had injuries.

Holy shit!  Stormy rips.  If we are doing ATL lets throw in Daniel Powell and Brian Chung as well. 

bighead

• Rep: 4
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2014, 05:00:04 PM »
Pat Steiner
Micah Hollinger
Eric Derringer
William Phan
Bryan Bothelo
Max Van Arnem
Scott Johnston
Robbie Holmes
John Igei
Those Wisdom kids from MASS
Brian Brown
Jerry Fowler
Ted De Gros
Rob Pluhowski
Ryan Nix (he was better as a kid)
Jeremy Holmes

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2014, 05:02:35 PM »
Some of these suggestions are awful. Either dudes who are still in the midst of their pro careers or shouldn't have been mentioned in the first place. That Gizmo dude had the grossest style.

Here's my two man list since nobody mentioned them.

Dyson Ramones
Jessie Silvey

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »
Pat Steiner
Micah Hollinger
Eric Derringer
William Phan
Bryan Bothelo
Max Van Arnem
Scott Johnston
Robbie Holmes
John Igei
Those Wisdom kids from MASS
Brian Brown
Jerry Fowler
Ted De Gros
Rob Pluhowski
Ryan Nix (he was better as a kid)
Jeremy Holmes

Solid list, Jon.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »

Ride on in Peace.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »
Some of these suggestions are awful. Either dudes who are still in the midst of their pro careers or shouldn't have been mentioned in the first place. That Gizmo dude had the grossest style.

Here's my two man list since nobody mentioned them.

Dyson Ramones
Jessie Silvey

cosign.  dude has style and pulled off that converse chuck taylor look a while back that dudes are running now

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »
bighead's list killed it ... I came in here to mention robbie holmes and bryan bothello. and that max van arnem kid!

john buchanan too loved that guy back in the day

also agree with most of the Think guys .... but its not like people who like those guys don't have access to their boards. well, they used to be everywhere anyway.

sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!