Author Topic: camping in southern california  (Read 2582 times)

30 Helens Agree:

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
camping in southern california
« on: August 05, 2014, 02:56:28 PM »
Me and my friend are trying to camp somewhere close to LA, and hoping to find something thats preferably either in the mountains or by the beach, but nothing too particular. We are trying to find places that are cheap or free, even completely undesignated campgrounds... anyone had any luck with this? know of any really amazing spots to camp?

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
Re: camping in southern california
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 06:07:51 PM »
Maybe look in the Malibu Canyon area, best of both worlds if you want Mountains but still a short drive from the beach. Malibu Creek State Park is cool, especially if you can find the hidden backtrail swimming hole.

However, I prefer the Angeles National Forest. It's more rustic camping and since it's farther from the city there aren't as many day-trippers. There are cool places off of Hwy 2. Its much more mountainous and more densely wooded. There are creeks and rivers all through there and several good campgrounds, and the campfire restrictions are generally more lax. However, it's a decent drive to LA proper from there so it all depends on what else you plan on doing.

There's also Mount Baldy area, in the IE just east from LA. Awesome up there but the beach is well over an hour away.

Options are vast. Use Google maps creatively and you should be able to find something cool. First, find an area that looks like mountains then search for camping areas. Use the directions tool to figure out the distance to other desired locations. Also keep in mind that driving through LA you will definitely not be able to use the '60 miles:60 minutes' rule. You can hit deadlock traffic at weird times like 2:30pm on a Tuesday so give yourself plenty of head-time when going anywhere.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:10:20 PM by Schismatic »

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 06:13:26 PM »
are you looking to camp to save money, but be near stuff (like a city and skate stuff) or just camp?
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:50:24 PM »
Another place to check is Point Magu state park. I took my girlfriend of the era there once, a long time ago and we could walk from our campsite but the cooler part was hiking inland on the trails. There were wading pools and waterfalls but depending on drought status that could be a dated memory. I want to say it was '96. It was pricey for a camping trip but well worth it.

Also, look at "free camping" websites and shit. There's a whole backpacker community that shares that kind of info. Just do your research, sometimes you get what you pay for but there are surely a few free/cheap gems out there.

Also, check fire allowance. During a burn ban some places provide fire rings, others make you rent them, and some require you to have your own or don't have a fire. Camping w/o a fire just isn't the same, especially when you crawl out of your tent at 5 AM on a brisk morning.

30 Helens Agree:

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 03:04:16 AM »
We live in LA, we just thought it would be cool for the weekend to go hang out in some mountains or at the beach or whatever; I think being in the mountains would be preferable. Thanks for the tips, I'm sure something will show up.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »
you could try joshue tree, but it's aboyt 2.5 hours away. it's cool though
fuck you bama

surfhwy1

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 10:25:32 AM »
Leo Carillo is the best camp site in LA IMO, try week days to get a spot.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 10:31:28 AM »
We live in LA, we just thought it would be cool for the weekend to go hang out in some mountains or at the beach or whatever; I think being in the mountains would be preferable. Thanks for the tips, I'm sure something will show up.

Good recommendations here. I've heard good things about Carillo too but never spent much time there. Joshua Tree is amazing but I dig dense forests so it's a bit deserty for me. Catching the chuckwallas is a good time.

Good luck though man.

Oh, one more: I mentioned Mount Baldy and it's sick but then I remembered Lytle Creek. When I lived in cucamonga as a kid my dad used to take me hiking and rattlesnake hunting up in Lytle a lot and it's way less well-known than Baldy so probably a better environment with cooler people. If you want rustic sites, like the kind where you park and hike a couple miles to the campsite then Lytle Creek is a good place to check out.

You're lucky to live within an hour or so from so many sick places. Talking about is making me homesick.

Leifkennedy

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 05:53:54 PM »
Your stupid if you live in la and don't know where to camp at. Baby dick