Author Topic: RIP Jay Adams  (Read 14500 times)

Big Skatefase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
Re: RIP Jay Adams
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 11:36:19 AM »
RIP to a true legend and pioneer.  Pour some out

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 12:08:12 PM »
let's all smoke a spliff tonight and dream the dream session RIP Jay Adams

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 01:00:45 PM »
Didn't he just recently get out of prison? Bummer

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Lion of Judah

• Rep: -3
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »
Aggressive skating in general owes a lot to this man! Supposedly, he was shredding waves until the end.True style master and legend. Rip In Power, Jayboy !!!!

Randozzi

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 01:32:25 PM »
RIP, style master and pioneer.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 02:41:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
didn't he kill a gay guy? whatever, dude lived a rough life, can't say any of that dogtown nonsense did much for me. RIP anyways.
[close]

He did, and I don't understand why nobody cares about that.
[close]

rasta man nah apologize to no batty bwoy!

but in all seriousness as the real due behind this character, killing gay people is not cool.
eh rasta mon sholdna break no character, shoulda told ?em how this man gots no love for jah or some ah shitah manah
 whatever but i findt your posts awesome, keep it up man onelove bless ganjah rasta daralabing bong
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
Rest in peace Jay.  I hope nose candy and/or speed had nothing to do with it.  He wrestled with addiction IIRC from interviews.
do more yoga!

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
Worst news.  RIP Jay...

Fortunately the end of his life was super positive
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2014, 04:43:32 PM »
Made skateboarding dangerous.....

RIP....

Now TA.....go get a check up bro.....

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2014, 04:49:49 PM »
This is awful news. I'll schralp a few in Jay's honor next time I'm out. This is another reminder to live the life you have to the fullest.

JAesop

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2014, 04:59:13 PM »
Made the front page of CNN.com.

RIP

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2014, 05:05:08 PM »
Such a sad thing to wake up to. RIP

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »

killing it until the end!! Rip in Power Jay!

assvogel

• Rep: 194
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2014, 02:30:27 AM »
The OG, inspiration. Rip In Power!

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2014, 05:53:12 AM »

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2014, 08:25:21 AM »

killing it until the end!! Rip in Power Jay!

Damn.

PEEP GAME

• Rep: 4
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »
100% pure ninja turtle attitude. the ruler.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
didn't he kill a gay guy? whatever, dude lived a rough life, can't say any of that dogtown nonsense did much for me. RIP anyways.
[close]

No. In the early 80's he got arrested for assault, and it was allegedly a 'gay bashing' incident he was involved in. I don't know the specifics. If it was an attack instigated because someone was gay (not involving a person who just happens to be gay, big difference) then yeah, it's fucked up but people change. I don't know Jay's feelings on the topic 20+ years later either way so not going to make any assumptions. Dude was no angel, that's not up for debate.

[close]

The specifics are that he instigated a fight bc some guy was gay, and then that guy died. Jay Adams discusses this in an interview you can read online. He was a part of someone being murdered for sure.
[close]

correct.  he and a friend harassed and assaulted a gay couple outside of Oki Dogs, a famous LA punk hangout.  apparently he left the scene before more people joined in and killed the guy.  he served 6 months for felony assault.

he was a legend in skateboarding. RIP

I did not know the guy died, thanks for shedding light on that. I still don't think the statement 'Jay Adams murdered a homosexual' is conclusively correct. I don't care to stick up for him or minimize his involvement, the whole situation sounds fucked and serves as an example of how for much of his life Jay Adams was a bastard of a person. Below is an exerpt from a recent interview where he talks about that incident. I couldn't find any info on who, if anyone, was convicted of the actual killing but hope someone was found accountable and punished accordingly.

At the very least he reformed and that counts for something. Hopefully he helped influence some kids in a more positive way through his work with troubled youth. Most relevant to this topic though are his contributions to skateboarding, which it seems everyone can agree on.

J.Adams:
"The trouble we got into that night had nothing to do with the fact the people we got into a fight with were gay. It was during the Punk Rock days in Hollywood and it was a violent time. We were young, dumb and full of alcohol. We weren?t bashing gays, we were just out to bash anyone who we came in contact with. I?m not proud of that but that?s just how it was for us then."

Dick Rogers

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »
I skated with him a few times when I was in school in Hawaii. Such a shredder and nice guy too. He was cool  to all the lame mormons (myself included) that would go skate the bowl. RIP.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

No. In the early 80's he got arrested for assault, and it was allegedly a 'gay bashing' incident he was involved in. I don't know the specifics. If it was an attack instigated because someone was gay (not involving a person who just happens to be gay, big difference) then yeah, it's fucked up but people change. I don't know Jay's feelings on the topic 20+ years later either way so not going to make any assumptions. Dude was no angel, that's not up for debate.

[close]

The specifics are that he instigated a fight bc some guy was gay, and then that guy died. Jay Adams discusses this in an interview you can read online. He was a part of someone being murdered for sure.
[close]

correct.  he and a friend harassed and assaulted a gay couple outside of Oki Dogs, a famous LA punk hangout.  apparently he left the scene before more people joined in and killed the guy.  he served 6 months for felony assault.

he was a legend in skateboarding. RIP
[close]

I did not know the guy died, thanks for shedding light on that. I still don't think the statement 'Jay Adams murdered a homosexual' is conclusively correct. I don't care to stick up for him or minimize his involvement, the whole situation sounds fucked and serves as an example of how for much of his life Jay Adams was a bastard of a person. Below is an exerpt from a recent interview where he talks about that incident. I couldn't find any info on who, if anyone, was convicted of the actual killing but hope someone was found accountable and punished accordingly.

At the very least he reformed and that counts for something. Hopefully he helped influence some kids in a more positive way through his work with troubled youth. Most relevant to this topic though are his contributions to skateboarding, which it seems everyone can agree on.

J.Adams:
"The trouble we got into that night had nothing to do with the fact the people we got into a fight with were gay. It was during the Punk Rock days in Hollywood and it was a violent time. We were young, dumb and full of alcohol. We weren?t bashing gays, we were just out to bash anyone who we came in contact with. I?m not proud of that but that?s just how it was for us then."

Yeah i actually feel weird for making that post, i don't want to speak negatively of a guy who just passed away tragically.. especially someone I admire.

He was part of that whole Suicidal crew in Venice, and that's the life they lived.

He kept skating punk as fuck till the end.  RIP Jay

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2014, 10:54:54 AM »
Saw this article on VICE: http://www.vice.com/read/maybe-we-shouldnt-be-so-sentimental-about-a-gay-bashing-skateboarder-658

I guess from all the comments, the author got the reactions he wanted.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

trillytrill

• Rep: 10
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2014, 11:58:49 AM »
off topic but i dont want to create a whole new thread and search is failing me. at the bottom of that vice jay adams thing is a year old mic-e interview and they keep talking about getting in trouble in skateboarding for weed. in particular, "Guys are getting fired now from running shoe companies for smoking pot. How would you say skateboarding has changed?". What are they referring to?

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2014, 12:15:54 PM »
Saw this article on VICE: http://www.vice.com/read/maybe-we-shouldnt-be-so-sentimental-about-a-gay-bashing-skateboarder-658

I guess from all the comments, the author got the reactions he wanted.
Fuck that shit so wack. So what if he was gay. One quote it has him saying "we saw two homosexuals", how do you know he was specifically gay bashing? It's simply a way of identification. Just the same as describing a black guy or an asian. Now if he said we saw two faggots and beat them up. That's a polar opposite. This is sooo wack, fuck Vice for this article.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2014, 12:25:56 PM »
I thought it was just bad taste. I know Vice and even other online media outlets are all about shock value but knowing that Jay Adams just died, it's kind of whack for a writer to just write an article to discredit the guy and just to do it to be a douche. Even aside from his personal views, people are more so talking about him as a skateboarder. Letting people focus on that in light of things shouldn't be a problem.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2014, 01:06:15 PM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:08:25 PM by Disco234 »
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »
His skateboarding is one thing, but are some of you really going to defend the guy's character? Becoming "born again" is hardly a free pass. Will we look back at Gator with such affection?

midevilco

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2014, 01:29:36 PM »
Anyone see this?

http://youtu.be/bRNdmSJjSDE

Wish I hadn't. I feel all dirty and violated now.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »
I know this is hard for some of you to believe but not too far in the past everyone bagged on gay people. It was the norm. Not saying it was right but general acceptance of homosexuality is a relatively new concept in this world. Jay or anyone else in that situation would have maybe gotten their ass kicked or even killed for not going along. As I've gotten older I've learned to generally accept anyone who isn't directly harming or affecting me in any negative way regardless of their race, sexual orientation etc. but I guarentee there's not a guy on here my age who hasn't at one time or another in their past ridiculed, made fun of or even just joked about gay people. Unless they happen to be gay that is...
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2014, 01:49:11 PM »
What an excellent history lesson. Thanks for that.