Author Topic: Street League Championship  (Read 9114 times)

lampshade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Street League Championship
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2014, 06:33:52 AM »
Some street league dude gave me free tickets when I was out skating some park last week. Still not sure if I'm going to actually go or not. Why's that shit so late anyway?

For the west coast.  Same reason Monday night football starts at 9:00pm EST.

Stolen Darkness

• Rep: -3
    • Candy Shop Skate Co. avatar image
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2014, 07:13:15 AM »
Gap or no gap, that shouldn't have been a 9 (was it?). The format makes no sense. They changed to make it harder for Nyjah to win and he still wins with tricks into a bank. Why build an entire park.

www.candyshopskateco.com $35 Boards. Made in East Coast.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2014, 07:37:07 AM »
cool way to spend a sunday night and a nice break from the 12 hours of simpsons i had watched during the day.  i like street league, not perfect but still fun to watch and enjoy.

pretty bummed the 'boo'-ing though.  its fucking skateboarding, there  is no place for booing any skater (other than your friends) in skateboarding.  boo the judges.  boo that chick who is not erica. boo dyrdek. but dont boo the people who are out there to put on a show for you. its not team sports. 
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2014, 08:49:10 AM »
Gap or no gap, that shouldn't have been a 9 (was it?). The format makes no sense. They changed to make it harder for Nyjah to win and he still wins with tricks into a bank. Why build an entire park.
it wasn't a 9, and he needed a 5.something to win. I can't believe some of you guys have that much trouble following the scoring. also lol at how needle juice thought it sucked, maybe cuz ur main squeeze got eliminated early? it was exciting to the end, wish Berger would have landed his 270 out and won it all. the course was really good this time, p challenging for all the guys
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2014, 08:54:41 AM »

pretty bummed the 'boo'-ing though.  its fucking skateboarding, there  is no place for booing any skater (other than your friends) in skateboarding.  boo the judges.  boo that chick who is not erica. boo dyrdek. but dont boo the people who are out there to put on a show for you. its not team sports. 

Hating on kooks with shit style has & will always have a place in skating.

olden intheway

« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Spot on

063 FLIP

• Rep: -26
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »
The bump to bar was pretty sweet, I don't think they have had one of those on previous courses. Any trick on that where you have to pop out is too gnarly.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2014, 09:31:33 AM »
If you DVR this shit and fast forward a lot, you can watch it in 40mins.  The best thing about it for me is seeing how consistent these guys are.  You here about pros going back to spots 10x to get a trick and these guys are pulling crazy shit 2nd try.  Granted it is a perfect park, but still, who the hell is flipping in, flipping out on a ledge 1st or 2nd try?  And that bigspin flip?  Damn.

skateskateskate

« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2014, 10:12:14 AM »
so everyone loves street league  now right

needlejuice

• Rep: -101
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2014, 10:23:54 AM »
First time watching Street League. Not bad. Lots of ripping.

Are half of the people there trying to call a year a season while the other half refer to it as a year? When I hear season I think winter, spring, summer, fall. Am I missing something? Who employed with Street League is rooting for the season camp? Dyrdek said year so I'm guessing it's not his doing.

Besides the occasional blown out camera angle I enjoyed the contest. Last bit of it definitely gets your heart pumping.

as someone whos watched nearly all of them this was by farrrr the worst event ive ever witnessed them do. watch the older ones with cole, prod, shane, malto, luan tpud...some of the best lines ever. not one flow run surprised me although luan did murder the flow section it was nothing compared to what he usually does
try to remember, forget

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2014, 10:29:37 AM »
swear to god if felix calls a nose manual a 'nose wheelie' again.....
Well see the thing is, he's old, like me, and believe it or not there was a time when the trick was actually called a nose wheelie.
Dead serious back in the day when people first started doing them nobody said nose manual (at least in the mags, that came later).
Much like the way switch used to be called opposite footed, nobody even said switchstance until way after switch skating became commonplace.

So yeah, basically, old people.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
Expand Quote
swear to god if felix calls a nose manual a 'nose wheelie' again.....
[close]
Well see the thing is, he's old, like me, and believe it or not there was a time when the trick was actually called a nose wheelie.
Dead serious back in the day when people first started doing them nobody said nose manual (at least in the mags, that came later).
Much like the way switch used to be called opposite footed, nobody even said switchstance until way after switch skating became commonplace.

So yeah, basically, old people.

Very true, a regular "Wheelie" was always a manual, but the phrase "Nose Wheelie" was the de facto name for that trick.  As in "Kickflip nose wheelie."

ginger lightning

• Rep: -8
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2014, 11:53:49 AM »
Is Nyjah even allowed to do those fake outs? i feel like he should lose an attempt just for getting off his board before a trick cause he wasn't feeling it. Thats twice he's done it on the very last trick (also the winning trick). it just seems so bogus. apparently after you win 10 you get an extra attempt in the final section if you really need it.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1213
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »
cool way to spend a sunday night and a nice break from the 12 hours of simpsons i had watched during the day.  i like street league, not perfect but still fun to watch and enjoy.

hardly art, hardly starving

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2014, 12:48:44 PM »
four pages of street league

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65231
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2014, 01:00:37 PM »
So it's already finished for this year? No new members for the 9 Club?

Oprah Winfrey

« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2014, 02:48:24 PM »
It was sick to see Brian Anderson there, along with Marc Johnson and Justin Brock. Met so many people I fan over tonight including BA, geoff, and chris cole. Also cool to meet lee and brink.

Also I took quite a few pictures of Erica's ass. No regrets!

pix 0r gtf0

Stolen Darkness

• Rep: -3
    • Candy Shop Skate Co. avatar image
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2014, 03:02:40 PM »
This was the first time I watched a Street League and my first time at one. I don't like how it ended, and the scoring is pretty shitty, BUT I would go for free again next year.

Everything just felt so basic.

Yah, I can't do 80% of the stuff that went down, but it still felt basic.

Given the format, you have to use strategy to stay in. Which might account for this nigga winning with a bank trick, but damn...damn.

Berger deserved a 7 for attempting that shit.

And I can only assume all the fun skaters are at the earlier stops.

www.candyshopskateco.com $35 Boards. Made in East Coast.

Brett

• Rep: -14
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2014, 03:08:16 PM »
Call me crazy on this one, but there was one point after Nyjah did that cab nose blunt to fakie where he was up in points. His next two tricks he blew and got 0's but he tried the same trick twice.

Confidence knowing that if he loses the lead he can still catch up?

Or a class act playing it up so it doesn't look to bad.

He could have done a nollie nose slide after the second try, just to gain 1.5 points but he didn't, he took two zeros.

I saw it as a classy move on his part to keep it tight and make it interesting when he could have slowly walked away with it after the full cab nose blunt.

He good, crowd loves drama makes for good tv and inter web fights!

needlejuice

« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2014, 08:09:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
it wasn't a 9, and he needed a 5.something to win. I can't believe some of you guys have that much trouble following the scoring. also lol at how needle juice thought it sucked, maybe cuz ur main squeeze got eliminated early? it was exciting to the end, wish Berger would have landed his 270 out and won it all. the course was really good this time, p challenging for all the guys

na i thought it sucked cause everything was overscored since the beginning of the contest. i could give a fuck if luan won, but it wouldve been awesome to see him try something out of the ordinary like he does at every stop. is that so hard to understand?
try to remember, forget

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2014, 09:41:32 PM »
you guys are acting like the reason nyjah won was the full cab flip into the bank

everyone else didn't land their shit on the last go, and he did, after collecting enough points from the whole contest to put him in the winning position

ben3350

• Rep: -156
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2014, 11:59:51 PM »
oh and about the step off and reset. I think I heard the rule is he has to pop the board or go off the obstacle for it to count. So as long as he didn't pop his trick, he can reset.

ben3350

• Rep: -156
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2014, 12:08:33 AM »
Expand Quote
It was sick to see Brian Anderson there, along with Marc Johnson and Justin Brock. Met so many people I fan over tonight including BA, geoff, and chris cole. Also cool to meet lee and brink.

[close]

pix 0r gtf0

EDIT: I am regular at technology and have no idea why the pics are sideways
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:10:32 AM by ben3350 »

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -258
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2014, 02:20:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

pix 0r gtf0
[close]

LOL, you creep! ... Gnar'd!

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2014, 04:12:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

pix 0r gtf0
[close]

[close]

LOL, you creep! ... Gnar'd!
gnar'd too

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2014, 05:18:29 AM »

Wow! That's the first time I'd ever watched a full dose of it.

How can watching such great skating feel so tainted?

This seems like it is almost a parody of American sports TV.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2014, 02:54:54 PM »
Ishod had this one in the bag! He should have just played it safe on his last trick and he'd be  200,000 dollars richer. Props to Nyjah though he did killed it, Ishod was soooo close though

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -258
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2014, 08:16:38 PM »
Nyjah is my least favourite skater of all time.

dillanharp

« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
I DVR'd it Sunday night, watched it last night. This was my first full dose of Street league. It's bad. I have no idea what the structuring is all about. I don't get how they come up with these scores either. Chaz doing ledge tricks getting points on my childhood box basically and getting points when that Burger kid, I think it was a talslide 270 pop over? on that cross bar that he bailed, that was fucking insane, yet he gets nothing. As far as the announcing goes, it's not their fault it's bad, they're trying to explain this shit to someone who doesn't know what a kickflip is, of course it's cringe inducing to us.

Nyjah's a fucking robot and someone needs to teach shane oneil how to wear a hat, that shits going to give him acne.

needlejuice

« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2014, 10:23:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

fuck off at least ive noticed how good luan was a long ass time ago wheras everyones on his nuts now. if you went on the st league web site before the finals and voted to see who everyone wanted to win 65 percent said luan oliveira while nyjah was like almost 20 percent and all the others below him were in the teens as well

if luan wernt in it i still thought it was the most boring st league ive ever seen. maybe cuz there were only 8 dudes. you know how much crazy shit goes down in the other events. there was some good stuff dont get me wrong but shane and luan finished last, thats a testament to that contest sucking compared to the other. even on these boards everyone wanted shane or luan to win

i loved watchn berger ishod and even chaz has finally won me over after so lon. but nobody did nearly as crazy shit as the others. what were there like two nines the whole contest? excuse me for rooting for someone i really love watching skate, but it had nothing to do with the fact i thought the contest sucked compared to the others. lol, fucking kook
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:31:02 PM by needlejuice »
try to remember, forget