Author Topic: skaters you copied  (Read 7132 times)

randy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
skaters you copied
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:25:19 AM »
Who did you see in person or video part that you tried to copy/ skate like/dress like?

Be honest!!

non fiction - Keith Hufnagel:

I bought the board,beanie. Pushed like this & tried to ollie high for at least 6 months.

Sorry I can't embed

JACKSONVILLAIN

• Rep: 12
Re: skaters you copied
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:37:45 AM »
last one was for wes

instagram.com/p/sTtX-8GR24
Good to know photoshopped jizz is the line that SLAP doesn't cross. Pansies.

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 10:29:45 AM »
duh... Matt Hensley.

I'm sure many of the old men will post the same. 
do more yoga!

randy

• Rep: -20
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:52 AM »
That video was sick.  Wes would be stoked!!

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 12:02:03 PM »
Jack Curtin/Stevie Williams kinda one summer. I started trying to learn bigflips when Really Sorry came out too. That's all I can really say. I think I had a Chima Ferguson phase during my senior year in high school too.

dillanharp

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 12:20:08 PM »
Hi-5 Penny, Kalis. I got a beanie with a bill because of penny and creager.

Went through a weird Jerry and Louie phase after high school, lots of sweaters. Caught myself doing the Jerry spider man wrists pre tricks.

shark tits

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 12:25:32 PM »
that black kid on eastern exposure who ollies on a taxi then puts his hands behind his back and pushes. i don't do it that much but i'm always aware of where i seen it first.
sometimes i get goofy when i'm skating around a bunch of nonskaters, like pedestrians and i feel like joquim. head kinda lolling to the sides, swing on a pole.
if you mean by appearance, i had white boy dreads that prolly were in part inspired by matt reason. i wore tan dickeys and a white shirt for a while but wasn't copying marc johnson, we just had similar tastes.

@thewilleasley

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 12:34:58 PM »
About a year or 2 ago I used to fuck around and do tricks like Antwuan off this small loading dock for shits and giggles then I started doing it so much it sorta stuck with me on certain tricks. It's really only with straight on heelflips going down something, but at this point thats just how I do em now, anything else feels like I'm doing too with my upper body in much mid-air & i lose control. Just line up your shoulders, hips, knees, & ankles then focus on just using your shoulders more for stability than your whole arms. I kinda did one right here

^ what's crazy about that clip was that i was actually having trouble with that spot and had to go back a second time to get it, and that was after a million tries so i wasn't even thinking about doing em a certain way, thats just how I landed the make. Some might say there's some Dylan-esque rideaway exaggeration there but that was more of a lean of relief lol

I don't really try to dress too much like anyone else tho. All my favorite skaters keep it simple with the typical jeans/tshirt look and I do the same unless its summer & feel like flexin in a tank top & shorts. If anything some of my summer fits are actually pretty original for skateboarding lol

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65231
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 12:37:51 PM »
Bleached my hair. Just like Carroll, Way and Henry Sanchez in the Questionable/Virtual Reality era.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »
I definitely had a couple of these hats...

ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 01:13:23 PM »
If we want to go to the most embarrasing stuff let's say that The Storm had a big influence on me and my early attempts at technical skateboarding. I also liked the swishy pants tech gear but that may have been more influenced by Muska/DC Euro Super Tour steeze. Though The Storm definitely increased my synthetic material to denim ratio.

If you want me to not sound like an idiot, Lavar in Trilogy made me want to learn how to do lines and practice consistency.

weed420

• Rep: 38
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »
that's awesome that the first post was the nonfiction huf part, cuz that's immediately what i thought of

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 01:22:35 PM »
I'm not even gonna lie, I tried to copy Ethan fowlers style so hard when I first saw A Visual Sound and Tincan Folklore. He had the raddest style.
I also remember when Antwuan was big kids were trying to bite his style so bad. I'd see kids at the park trying so hard not to move their arms on tricks, it just looked so forced and bad.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -749
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 01:29:41 PM »
Appleyard clothes and style since Digital Fajsha. That bs smith on rail with brown Circas and t-shirt was beautifull

1:45
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:32:48 PM by Swithflip »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »
shorty's steve olson around fulfill the dream. i knew i would never look or skate like him, but i made my mom buy me some tsa cargos because of him. he also rocked emerica mjs, i always wanted them because of him, but i never found a pair in my size. i always thought his style was super sick. he had the right amount of chaos and gnarlyness, at least for 13 year old me.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
First it was Maldonado in Welcome To Hell, then I did a mostly Donny Barley but a little bit Ricky thing after EE3, then back to Maldonado when Jump Off A Building came out, then I sort of got weird for awhile and did a thing that made people uncomfortable at the time that is hard to describe. It was a little "I'm autistic" a little "I'm on acid" and a little "I listen to Wu Tang all day". I'm not autistic though. I was just on acid a lot.

Oh yeah and a Puleo/Huf from Penal Code in between EE3 and Jump Off A Building. Maybe my dates are off a little but it was a long time ago.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
The only person i remember purposely trying to copy was daewon when he wore the knit beanie with thermals and white shoe lace belt showing. Only thing was as cool as daewon has always been it never made me want to buy dvs shoes. The fake steeze kids copied when antwuan blew up was soo embarrasing to watch.

Loyal Pawn

• Rep: 7
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »
Always mentally project Reynolds into my head before I try a frontside flip.
Been caught doing the Duane peters finger point on acid drops.i know I went thru the whole baker/emerica phase

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 02:09:17 PM »
had dreads thanks to quim cardona, drake jones, mario rubalcaba, matt reason......yeah, yeah, i know i know...
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Marc Muntané

• Rep: -3
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 02:30:37 PM »
Ben K, with all the powerviolence shirts and stuff

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »
duh... Matt Hensley.

I'm sure many of the old men will post the same. 

Mike V was another.....With the flannels and army pants....then Hensley w. the chain wallet....I had the whole kit....docs....flight jacket....

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 02:55:39 PM »
definitely had a pair of white jeans about 10 years ago
For Your Health

Billy Ocean

• Rep: 30
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »
Rick Howard shirts.

Mike Carroll chinos.

"The uniform."

I feel like I ended up sub-consciously copying Koston's style in high school because people said I kind of looked like him. Too bad I couldn't skate like him.

Certain tricks for certain skaters. I liked to pretend I was Arto when doing f/s boardslides. Puleo for b/s 50-50s, etc.
"Suck a dick, bitch." - Joey Boy

BraveUlysses

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »
Freshman year I was all into Baker/Deathwish shit till I saw MJ footy and I automatically switched over to flannels and beanies and brown pants. I would try to emulate that delicate touch he had to tricks but Marc is a really poor choice of a person to try to be like when you suck at skating. Never learned any manual variations the whole time, I would just do a whole bunch of 3 flips cuz they made me feel like I was tech.

Also I'm pretty sure I would throw my board around and pretend to be mad cuz I loved Heath so much even though I was perfectly fine with not landing the trick I was trying haha.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:39:17 PM by BraveUlysses »

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -31
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 04:18:24 PM »
I was into "Ride The Sky" Jamie Thomas for awhile. I always had on a button-down shirt that I left unbuttoned. It looks pretty fucking stupid now.

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 04:25:24 PM »
John Motta made me go out and try and find weird ditch spots
Albert Nyberg made me try weird no comply flips
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 04:25:45 PM »
Josh Kalis. I pretty much skated nothing but flat ground and ghetto bumps for a couple of years after Photosynthesis and the DC video. Im also pretty sure I did like a thousand treflips a day.

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
  • (formerly mex.ceferino)
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2014, 04:29:15 PM »
i started in the early 2000's so..

carroll's hair in yeah right

when piss drunks were the rage i opted the thats life route and wanted to be like fowler and shimizu with flared pants

then richie belton, slash, shane cross, all long haired and dirty

*cringe
but really, i was hyped

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Bill

• Rep: -32
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »
I always had like 3-4 favorite Sk8ers at any giving time

So I probably took a bit from all of them. So self-consciously, I probably took my trick selection & wardrobe from all of them

I know as a fact Everybody here prolly had or has the friend who dressed or copied a pro with the same style & wardrobe & even used the same vocabulary :-)
Rule #1

Fashion Never Function

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 04:34:58 PM »
Pretty much all of them

I still have tons of skate clothes, some skatebrand tees have lasted 10+ years. Can't throw them out though, some are lucky.

Theres probably some koston influence tho