Author Topic: Polar/Magenta/Welcome etc. cannibalizing Traditional Brands?  (Read 9427 times)

vegan*shawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Polar/Magenta/Welcome etc. cannibalizing Traditional Brands?
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2014, 07:32:32 PM »
You can support both "big" and "small" right now I am riding a Welcome deck (small) Ace trucks (small owned by big) Spitfire wheels (big) bones bearings (big) etc...
As far as Crailtap products, they don't make stuff I would want to support, then again I am an old man so I doubt they care if I buy they products.

GoodguyEh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2014, 10:03:43 PM »
Boards from hip small companies last longer because slappys and trendy wall rides don't wear out a board as fast

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2014, 10:21:58 PM »
im riding a Lurkville board atm.  perfect shape.  have no idea who does the wood but its good.

oldgoodburger

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2014, 10:38:17 PM »
im riding a Lurkville board atm.  perfect shape.  have no idea who does the wood but its good.

Generator

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2014, 10:44:51 PM »
Maybe "cannibalizing" and "Traditional brands" weren't the best way to phrase the question, but I think most of you got what I was going for.
Yes we did, and we appropriately responded that your point is stupid.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

zippy z

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2014, 11:33:08 PM »
Holy hell DW is graphically the utmost garbage.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:19:58 AM by redux »

foureyedjim

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »
Boards from hip small companies last longer because slappys and trendy wall rides don't wear out a board as fast

hah!

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2014, 01:31:36 AM »
Hole He'll DW is graphically the utmost garbage.

I remember how hyped I was when Deathwish just started back in 2008, I went to california on a trip and got a some DW shit cause it wasnt available in europe yet.

...I have a really hard time picturing me buying a deathwish board now, what the fuck happened?

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2014, 02:24:20 AM »
My local 100% skater owned shop isn't allowed to stock crailtap or dlx, it's moves like this that make new progressive shops jump on the new brands like fucking awesome, magenta, polar etc and succeed.
They are proving you can do extremely well with out the big older companies.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2014, 06:01:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Maybe "cannibalizing" and "Traditional brands" weren't the best way to phrase the question, but I think most of you got what I was going for.
[close]

I wasn't making a point I was asking a question you pussy bitch.

BMCsteve

« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2014, 06:57:08 AM »

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2014, 07:09:26 AM »
My local 100% skater owned shop isn't allowed to stock crailtap or dlx, it's moves like this that make new progressive shops jump on the new brands like fucking awesome, magenta, polar etc and succeed.

What did the owner do that fucked up his DLX and Crail accounts?
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2014, 07:39:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was just going to ask what other small shop they opened up close to and how long they've been in business.

Sounds like a mileage radius issue.  Sometimes those are fucked up, but a lot of the time it's for a very good reason. Open up a new shop less than 10-15 miles from an established shop and it can be hard to get accounts. In extreme cases market saturation can result in both shops going out of business.

That shop still has options however, they can use places like South Shore and Eastern Dist to stock most big companies, then after being business for long enough and gained credibility through proven stability, they can usually get an account. It can take years.

Don't get mad at the company for being wary about giving an account. I've personally never seen them deny a small shop an account for being near a mall shop*, the area rep is most likely just looking out for the best interests of another nearby skater-owned shop who has a long-running account in good standing.

I do think it's fucked up that the big companies don't strongly discourage places like Zumiez from opening right by a good core shop. The big retail chains can circumvent the proximity restrictions by having a distribution center for their stores so their accounts aren't linked to an address that's near a core shop, even though their storefront can be a mile away from one.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2014, 07:41:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I was just going to ask what other small shop they opened up close to and how long they've been in business.

Sounds like a mileage radius issue.  Sometimes those are fucked up, but a lot of the time it's for a very good reason. Open up a new shop less than 10-15 miles from an established shop and it can be hard to get accounts. In extreme cases market saturation can result in both shops going out of business.

That shop still has options however, they can use places like South Shore and Eastern Dist to stock most big companies, then after being business for long enough and gained credibility through proven stability, they can usually get an account. It can take years.

Don't get mad at the company for being wary about giving an account. I've personally never seen them deny a small shop an account for being near a mall shop*, the area rep is most likely just looking out for the best interests of another nearby skater-owned shop who has a long-running account in good standing.

I do think it's fucked up that the big companies don't strongly discourage places like Zumiez from opening right by a good core shop. The big retail chains can circumvent the proximity restrictions by having a distribution center for their stores so their accounts aren't linked to an address that's near a core shop, even though their storefront can be a mile away from one.
Distributors like South Shore,Eastern and Smoothhill all sell deluxe and girl products.
If you own a shop and aren't aware of these options, you should be asking more questions and making strides to carry more products.
I agree that smaller brands aren't so prevalent outside of slap in some regions like some make it out to be,
Obviously welcome is everywhere, but plenty of people have never heard of polar/magenta/isle/hopps/northernco/killing floor/politic/fucking awesome etc. They are far from taking over, but the bigger brands are loosing another piece of the very fragmented pie.
The thing I noticed is instead of everyone riding shop decks, some of those guys are actually trying the smaller stuff. Tired of having the same setup as everyone else.
No matter the changes we always sell dlx decks well, should be a staple in every shop.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:48:18 AM by 144p »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2014, 08:33:20 AM »
I definitely enjoy these companies presence in a skateshop, but in my area, I already see them sort of fading. DLX is probably the biggest in my area, and if anyone is going to buy a more underground brand, it's this company called the Northern Co, which I honestly find incredibly bland and unoriginal. The younger kids love it, so good for that company.

However, I think the reason that these brands are sort of at a halt in my scene is because of the shop owner waiting too long to place an order with these companies and then he is not able to get what will see or the product is completely unavailable.

I am stoked to say 3D is moving rather decently at the shop, which I like.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2014, 09:54:13 AM »

Does it bum you out that ollies are trendy? EVERYONE does them

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Hole He'll DW is graphically the utmost garbage.
[close]

I remember how hyped I was when Deathwish just started back in 2008, I went to california on a trip and got a some DW shit cause it wasnt available in europe yet.

...I have a really hard time picturing me buying a deathwish board now, what the fuck happened?
There is a pretty good chance that you're aren't 14 anymore.  Typically, that will do it.  Hope this answered your question.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2014, 11:57:06 AM »

both actually eat up boards pretty quickly...soooo there goes that theory

hardly art, hardly starving

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2014, 02:51:31 PM »

Calm down Dune - No need to be so salty. How's the Penny board business treating you?

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2014, 10:00:19 AM »
I'm actually going to start buying organika boards now, I read and watched a bunch of shit about it and karl's inner city programs and what he tries to do and that's a really constructive way of using money. I think the problem with traditional brands like organika is that they don't know how to market themselves well or get their message out. They're good vibes and deserve a little shine but they're not on all the sites blasting their shit at 11 like all the underground companies are. If you don't say anything how is anyone going to know you exist?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2014, 10:22:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I wasn't making a point I was asking a question you pussy bitch.
The question in which you claim you used the wrong words, despite the fact that they defined your "question."  Yeah man, you were so clear that only an idiot wouldn't understand your "question." And "Pussy bitch?" you can't qualify that, its a shitty attempt at an insult, because it has no substance. I can qualify your stupidity VERY easily though. Your thread raised a non-issue that you are pretending is some controversy, you claim you didn't use the right words, despite the fact that your words defined the sentence- its like saying "I'm hungry" and meaning "he's tired." Using the wrong words was stupid on your behalf. Finally, you are clearly attempting to make a point by asking a question, these things aren't mutual exclusive in any sense of the word. You are stupid. Your thread is stupid.

Why are people trying to pretend like only the new companies are marketing themselves based on image? That's pretty much what 100% of skateboard marketing is. The boards are all the same in terms of what they are made of, and the shapes are generally very similar. Sure, some use better woodshops, but NONE of them advertise that fact. What do they advertize? Their team, their graphics, their image, basically nothing about the actual product has been advertised since the 80's. Now because new companies are able to do a better job of that they get put down for that? Y'all dumb. This isn't a controversy. New companies started, they were small, and they are doing well. This is a basic aspect of market economics, not a controversy.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 12:17:45 PM »
if that comment is directed at me I meant that the traditional brands arent doing a very good job of it anymore, theres absolutely nothing wrong with the newer brands being good at it. Organika is a great example. I totally dismissed them for years but they're actually very chill.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2014, 01:23:17 PM »
no you are