Author Topic: California Universities and Skate Scenes  (Read 8826 times)

eSHkidd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: California Universities and Skate Scenes
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 07:46:54 PM »
^^Skating around SC is pretty easy, and as I mentioned there are plenty of spots if you're looking and aren't afraid of some crust. The scene of locals is pretty tight knit, but most everybody that actually skates will probably be cool to you. The goons are the bums and druggie dudes that kind of lurk at the park but don't actually skate much. Those are the ones to watch out for. And you might find some pretty cool dudes that go to UCSC that skate, I had two different crews over the years that all ended up being good friends outside of skating as well.

It's worth saying as well that a city bus pas is included in your tuition, and you can get pretty much anywhere in town easily enough on the bus, particularly from campus to downtown in maybe 15 minutes or so. That's where the park most people skate is.

Yeah, with people saying Irvine and SD you definitely need a car, while SC I can skate around, is a lot more appealing. I've been to SC a bunch and know typical spots: downtown park, derby, and buena, along with the 3 skateshops there. Probably would look for a place that's right in the middle of UCSC, derby, and downtown park. Bus is a major plus. SC sounds perfect as long as the education is up to par with the other UC's.

Thanks everyone, I've had descriptions on every campus/area I was thinking about. Always appreciate any additional insight. This is a major life choice  ;)

tony volume

• Rep: -13
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 02:24:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey everyone, fuck niggers! Got it? Also, fuck jews.
[close]
lol, ban pls
Tracer???

tony volume

• Rep: -13
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 02:28:23 AM »
Well, i'm chiming in...
i am getting ready to apply for Cal Maritime in Vallejo. currently going to DVC (pleasant hill)
i cant freakin wait to get in there

stab

• Rep: -1
  • Jumping Beans is a cop
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »
Just moved to Santa Cruz with my girlfriend for grad school.  The two parks I've been to so far (Downtown and derby) are both quality in different ways. 

The downtown park is really smooth with mostly basic street obstacles and some heavy pool-coping transition that I'm just starting to mess with.  Lots of random rippers come through and kill the place which is pretty entertaining to watch. There's also a pretty regular squad of teenagers that skate/chill there seemingly constantly and leave lots of trash everywhere which is sort of weak but I guess comes with the territory of a beach town.

Derby on the other hand is the strangest parks I've ever skated which makes it really fun.  Its also in a really nice calm city park and is normally empty which makes for really great weekend sessions.

I haven't needed to stop by a skateshop yet but there is supposed to be two good ones plus NHS is in town. 

Lots of random hills to bomb which is awesome coming from Florida which is essentially flat, however some of the streets here are  pretty rough and cracked up. 

I've met a few cool people skating the parks but would love to meet more and skate some street and maybe take some trips to the nearby cities so if anyone see this hit me up!

I didn't come here to dream or teach the world things;
define paradigms or curate no living days

foureyedjim

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 07:14:33 PM »
There's this tiny tiny park called Felt that's also in santa cruz