Author Topic: Berrics - In Transition (Daewon, Greyson, Raney, Rayborn, Burnquist etc.)!!  (Read 33503 times)

jorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
First of all, even if that is his honest opinion, its a stupid response to my point about how sick Greyson's are, because their frontside ollies take nothing from his. Second of all, sure, Jason Jessee pioneered the floaty frontside ollie pretty much, and Gonz has his own sick lazy foot thing going which is amazing. But the clear fact is, neither of them were floating half as high or taking them to nearly as gnarly of spots as Greyson does. Do they deserve respect? Sure, they were doing it first, and nobody will ever do them again with the same kind of style, and Greyson is standing on their shoulders. But I don't think anybody watches any of those guys and thinks Greyson's aren't as good, unless they remember old dudes telling them who is best (or they are one of said old dudes) and decided that is how it always will be. Go Raney.
Steve Claar before Jason Jessee.  And I do remember the old dudes because I'm old.  Just responding to your "best in the game by far" bullshit.  "The game" has been around a long time.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
This contest fucking rules, berrics is actually worth checking again. Raney's part was dope, can't wait to see what Rune has in store.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
First of all, even if that is his honest opinion, its a stupid response to my point about how sick Greyson's are, because their frontside ollies take nothing from his. Second of all, sure, Jason Jessee pioneered the floaty frontside ollie pretty much, and Gonz has his own sick lazy foot thing going which is amazing. But the clear fact is, neither of them were floating half as high or taking them to nearly as gnarly of spots as Greyson does. Do they deserve respect? Sure, they were doing it first, and nobody will ever do them again with the same kind of style, and Greyson is standing on their shoulders. But I don't think anybody watches any of those guys and thinks Greyson's aren't as good, unless they remember old dudes telling them who is best (or they are one of said old dudes) and decided that is how it always will be. Go Raney.
[close]
Steve Claar before Jason Jessee.  And I do remember the old dudes because I'm old.  Just responding to your "best in the game by far" bullshit.  "The game" has been around a long time.
It sure has, and you know what the one thing is that has stayed the same about "the game?" Progression.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

abudabi

i agree, people should focus on whats in front of them. but a lot of skateboarders dont care how gnarly something is when theyre picking favorites. my favorite front krook for example definitely isnt the gnarliest one. they might watch greyson do a frontside ollie and hate his style and not give a shit about him. its subjective. how gnarly something is isnt subjective, but how it is received is.

ogcoors

• Rep: -69
Tracer you fall into traps too much. THe Berrics is trying to stay current to get people like you to go to their Canteen bullshit. You suck as a human. Canadian rollerbladers = not welcome

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Tracer you fall into traps too much. THe Berrics is trying to stay current to get people like you to go to their Canteen bullshit. You suck as a human. Canadian rollerbladers = not welcome
You think a rollerblader would be posting on SLAP? This contest is better than street league, maloof X games, all on the skater doing their thing

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
Raemer's pizza looked gross. Instant loss.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
I was a little skeptical at first, and bummed when I saw Bob was using Dreamland. Would've liked to see him at a crusty old Brazilian park again. So far every part has been sick though. People have their opinions and favorites and that's all fine. It's skateboarding, your "best" can be the polar opposite of my "best" and we're both right. Like I thought Schubert's filming was dizzying. Still, every dude has managed to rage. 

So far I liked Greyson's flow and Raemers' tricks but Raney's part is my favorite overall. Looking forward to more, especially Rune and Daewon. Fuck, all of them really (just hope Bob's doesn't have any mega ramp and helicopters; stick to the bowl and it'll be amazing).

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518

Wow. You should post more!
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
This has produced some good stuff so far. I always find it funny how Berra sell this stuff though in his little descriptions, i find almost every post that has a contest he says "ten of the most progressive skaters". Not trying to knock any of the other guys, but the only guys who really define progression who are in it are Bob, Daewon and to a lesser extent Rune. All of them rip though. Only thing disappointing is it seems Vans who would of been amazing for this are probably too busy to put their footage towards it (TNT, Capples and Elijah Berle) and the fact its missing Grant and Raven for whatever reasons. Also would of been sick to see CK1 give it a go. Seems like a lot of the crailtap guys are doing very little for the Berrics compared to the early years. Can't think of any Trunk Boyz stuff on it outside of CK1 and the only guys who seem to have a steady presence on it now are Mike Mo and Malto outside of Koston.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
Bingaman. Wow.

assvogel

• Rep: 195
Loved the Raney part. Reminded me of the the classic Cab at Raging Waters part from Public Domain, I quess!

Caballero at Raging Waters-Public Domain (1988)

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
Bingaman for sure. Had me saying wow out loud several times.

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
Expand Quote
[close]
i agree, people should focus on whats in front of them. but a lot of skateboarders dont care how gnarly something is when theyre picking favorites. my favorite front krook for example definitely isnt the gnarliest one. they might watch greyson do a frontside ollie and hate his style and not give a shit about him. its subjective. how gnarly something is isnt subjective, but how it is received is.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
Bingaman has the best smiths.  dips them down so low
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
After the past few dudes skated shit like lower bobs, WSVT, and Mammoth park, Bingaman will have trouble competing based on the spot he skated alone. I liked the part and all, but dude spends most of his time skating 5 foot transitions when other dudes are skating 15 foot walls with ease.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
i agree

judging this whole contest is still kind of silly anyway.  it's hard to know how hard or easy each place is to skate unless you've been to them all

people saying Ben Raemer's part looked weak are crazy.  that 5-0 to fakie was fucking ridiculous.  looked like he had to maneuver through some fucked up, kinked shit fakie, going fast as hell

can't wait for Daewon, Rune, Rayborn .   everybody!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:24:39 AM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
Fair point. Bingaman's park was incredibly accommodating, but his tricks, to me, were still a step above.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
Bingaman had gnarly tricks but as others said, the fact that it was a skatepark is kind of a bummer. Just felt like a really good Strangenotes park edit and not really part of this contest.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
After the past few dudes skated shit like lower bobs, WSVT, and Mammoth park, Bingaman will have trouble competing based on the spot he skated alone. I liked the part and all, but dude spends most of his time skating 5 foot transitions when other dudes are skating 15 foot walls with ease.
Finally we agree.  Go Raney.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
i agree

judging this whole contest is still kind of silly anyway.  it's hard to know how hard or easy each place is to skate unless you've been to them all

people saying Ben Raemer's part looked weak are crazy.  that 5-0 to fakie was fucking ridiculous.  looked like he had to maneuver through some fucked up, kinked shit fakie, going fast as hell

can't wait for Daewon, Rune, Rayborn .   everybody!
Yeah, I don't actually care who wins as much as I just want to see these dudes skating the way they have been in these parts. The funny thing is, it seems like they almost intentionally made it impossible for the judging in the end to not be controversial. How do you compare Daewon's wild tech tricks to Bob's megaramp shenanigans or Remillard's speed lines? You really can't, but that won't stop them from trying. Again, I don't really care in the end, because they did manage to get a bunch of serious tranny rippers together to put out legit parts that we get to watch, and that's pretty cool.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
how ARE they judging this anyways??
people's choice? industry panel?

also those short segments where each rider introduces his spot are pretty cool.
Bingaman's park looks absolutely huge....7 different bowls!?
goddamn man.

ALSO: when is the Rune part dropping!!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
Yeah, the intro parts are rad and have a lot of good skating. I liked that Raney partially chose bob's because he helped build it, so his part is him skating something he made, and other kids might follow his example.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
Bingaman had gnarly tricks but as others said, the fact that it was a skatepark is kind of a bummer. Just felt like a really good Strangenotes park edit and not really part of this contest.

Is Granite a Wally Holiday park? It sure looks like it. I mean a huge concrete park is great and all but just kept seeing so of the dumb trademark design features that all of his mid 2000's park have.

Sick skating but not hyped on the part.

eSHkidd

• Rep: -2
Raney's park looks so hard to skate, like you really have to know what you're doing to get enough speed to some things. Fits Raney's style perfectly I think.

Also I was surprised on Ben's part, didn't really remember he's able to blast it like that. 5-0 to fakie on that thing looks like the scariest trick ever

Lower bobs is nuts. You know when you first skate a skatepark? And usually it takes a few different times going there to get the flow down and get comfortable? Lower bobs takes waaaaaay longer.

The first time skating it, it's so awkward, just like, what the fuck am I doing here?

Hardest flow i've ever been to.

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
how ARE they judging this anyways??
people's choice? industry panel?

also those short segments where each rider introduces his spot are pretty cool.
Bingaman's park looks absolutely huge....7 different bowls!?
goddamn man.

ALSO: when is the Rune part dropping!!

I think the contest thing is just an excuse to put out some sick little videos online and to get people to actually watch all of them. If it was just some random parts, a lot of people would just skip all the names they don't know or care about. They did the same thing with that manual contest

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
this all feels pretty overblown, typical berrics overhyping. still has some crazy stuff but there's so much filler too. anyways I thought raney had the best stuff so far, partly because that park looks so amazing on camera, and I love spines too. his half cab fs 5-0 to ollie tail bash in was my fav trick so far.

I thought lower bobs got shut down? wasn't there a thread about it and gipper had like 15 meltdowns in it?
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Tracer

Congratulations to Bingaman, he did the 1 millionth tailslide of the contest!! Tisket a tasket, this motherfucker is getting a gift basket!

Harsh_euro_barge

That place is seriously crusty

You're right, no way was Raemers stuff weak at all.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Yeah, the intro parts are rad and have a lot of good skating. I liked that Raney partially chose bob's because he helped build it, so his part is him skating something he made, and other kids might follow his example.

That definitely made his part different from the rest. The message and just the idea of him promoting a DYI park. I thought the edit was particully nice too....even with the drone shot.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!