Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 789928 times)

The Woodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1350 on: October 04, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »
I posted this is the formula four thread but it doesn’t seem to be getting much attention at the moment so I’ll put it here.

I need new wheels and have been considering trying the lock-ins but am concerned they will mess with grind tricks where your board isn’t straight (smith, feeble, crook) can anyone who’s had a set offer some insight on that?
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #1351 on: October 04, 2018, 08:21:12 PM »
I posted this is the formula four thread but it doesn’t seem to be getting much attention at the moment so I’ll put it here.

I need new wheels and have been considering trying the lock-ins but am concerned they will mess with grind tricks where your board isn’t straight (smith, feeble, crook) can anyone who’s had a set offer some insight on that?

The only thing I've heard is that they can hang up on coping more if you're not careful. Doesn't seem to affect much else.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #1352 on: October 04, 2018, 09:10:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The only thing I've heard is that they can hang up on coping more if you're not careful. Doesn't seem to affect much else.

im riding a set of 53mm lockins and i cant tell much of a difference if one at all . i do smiths and feebles half the time im skating. The wheels are not shaped the same on both sides so if you rotate them they will be backwards. mine have been backwards about a week and again i cant tell a difference. I wont get lockins again i prefer the radial slims

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #1353 on: October 05, 2018, 08:08:23 AM »
I ride 55mm lock-ins. I can't speak for smiths and feebles because I suck, but crooks and stuff on coping haven't been an issue to me.
(I've also done willy grinds that worked out "fine")

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1354 on: October 07, 2018, 03:46:12 PM »
anyone else on OJ wheels have bearings that are loose, like actually loose in the wheel? not just one, most if all. at first i thought it was just the way the wheel was sitting with the way OJ have cut out space in the middle but after looking at it i realise basically all my bearings have some play to them.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1355 on: October 07, 2018, 05:09:53 PM »
anyone else on OJ wheels have bearings that are loose, like actually loose in the wheel? not just one, most if all. at first i thought it was just the way the wheel was sitting with the way OJ have cut out space in the middle but after looking at it i realise basically all my bearings have some play to them.

Which formula are you seeing this with?

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1356 on: October 07, 2018, 10:10:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i've noticed the same thing with these

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1357 on: October 08, 2018, 07:20:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

your image didnt embed but going from the url we have the same, oj concentrates insaneathane 101a

always thought it was the way the wheels are cut inside but after blowing a bearing i noticed one of them wouldnt stay in the wheel. after 2 months or so of skating the wheels i've blew two bearings, both year old mini logos so i cant comment whether or not it's because of the wheels or the oldness of the bearings. heres an example of the bearing play, most prominent on the two left side wheels

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1358 on: October 08, 2018, 07:51:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

your image didnt embed but going from the url we have the same, oj concentrates insaneathane 101a

always thought it was the way the wheels are cut inside but after blowing a bearing i noticed one of them wouldnt stay in the wheel. after 2 months or so of skating the wheels i've blew two bearings, both year old mini logos so i cant comment whether or not it's because of the wheels or the oldness of the bearings. heres an example of the bearing play, most prominent on the two left side wheels

That is fucked up! I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how that could even happen.  :o

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #1359 on: October 08, 2018, 08:00:06 AM »
That is properly insane  :o
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1360 on: October 08, 2018, 04:00:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The from concentrate OJsare the og formula, not insane-a-thane.

Hell, I don't even think the 'from concentrate' wheels are even the regular oj thane (they feel soft and slow as hell).

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1363 on: October 09, 2018, 02:52:03 AM »
well shit my bad lol

wouldnt say theyre soft or slow though, obviously not as slippy as f4's but ive enjoyed them thus far minus above issue.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #1364 on: October 15, 2018, 01:42:47 PM »
Do you think conical full, regular, or slim wheels are better for locking into round rails? 

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1365 on: October 15, 2018, 08:36:16 PM »
 :-[
Do you think conical full, regular, or slim wheels are better for locking into round rails?
Anything with a tablet shape like spitfire radial/radial slim, bones STF v2 etc... will lock the best on round rails regardless of wheel width.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1366 on: October 18, 2018, 06:36:07 AM »
that issue on the ojs looks mad!

I'v been on the 58mm lance mountain F4 conicals for a year, now and I love them.
They have shrunken quite a bit but they are fast and lock in safely (well, they are large and square)

best thing is they seem to be fitted much better than stfs, the bearing sacers line up perfect ly within the wheel and i can tighten the nuts to just get rid of the wobble. The stf would (same bearings & spacers) slow down on three of the 4 wheels.

I feel like they just slide the smoothest and keep speed on most terrain.

PMA

goathead

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1367 on: October 18, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »
How is the Speedlab Wheels durometer? I got some 97A's and was wondering is it equivalent to Spitfire scale? I usually ride 99DU Formula Fours

Daniel

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1368 on: October 20, 2018, 02:16:59 AM »
Same bearing play issue with those ojs happened with a set of conical fulls I have. It was about 108 degrees out and the wheels were molten hot after a long sesh so that might have caused it... otherwise could just be a quality control mistake.

somedudefromnj

« Reply #1369 on: October 20, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »
What about those new OJ elite? Is is more of the same OJ chalk?

skating one board with elites and another with the ones i think they call mini combos. The elites definitely roll a LOT better than the combos, but i need to try a different brand to see if I'm just blinded by the juice

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1370 on: October 21, 2018, 12:40:11 AM »
How is the Speedlab Wheels durometer? I got some 97A's and was wondering is it equivalent to Spitfire scale? I usually ride 99DU Formula Fours

They are WAY softer.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #1371 on: October 29, 2018, 09:45:55 PM »
So I've been eyeing these lately
https://www.tactics.com/dial-tone-wheel-co/williams-abstract-2-skateboard-wheels/white-99a

I like supporting the little guys and love Jahmal Williams. They look nice and the shape looks nice and road. Any Idea how they ride?
I think i got spoiled by F4 Spits since those feel freaking great.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1372 on: October 29, 2018, 10:26:05 PM »
My waywards, after nearly 4 sessions, don't actually feel *that* bad anymore ... but yeah, you get spoiled by F4s

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #1373 on: October 29, 2018, 10:49:58 PM »
My waywards, after nearly 4 sessions, don't actually feel *that* bad anymore ... but yeah, you get spoiled by F4s

Yeah I was skating some sml wides and they felt good till I got my Lock ins. They felt whack after. Also I dont really like the look of the shape of Lock Ins but they are definately one of the best wheels if not the best wheels I've ever ridden.

Diocletian

« Reply #1374 on: November 02, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »
I’m on the hunt for a softer wheel to deal with the slippery indoor parks since snow will probably be here soon. I found some 55mm conical shaped pigs in a 97a durometer but am curious if there’s anything else out there in a 95-97a in the 52-54mm range. Couldn’t really find anything besides Ricta “crushers” 98a and they still seem like they’d be too slippery. Any help is much appreciated.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #1375 on: November 02, 2018, 08:44:33 PM »
I’m on the hunt for a softer wheel to deal with the slippery indoor parks since snow will probably be here soon. I found some 55mm conical shaped pigs in a 97a durometer but am curious if there’s anything else out there in a 95-97a in the 52-54mm range. Couldn’t really find anything besides Ricta “crushers” 98a and they still seem like they’d be too slippery. Any help is much appreciated.

Isn't Ritca's hardest cloud a 92a? You could try those..

Diocletian

« Reply #1376 on: November 03, 2018, 07:26:53 AM »
Those seem like they’d work well, I didn’t notice those before. Thanks man! Still open to other good options if anyone has anymore recommendations.

switchbs180

« Reply #1377 on: November 03, 2018, 02:25:54 PM »
Those seem like they’d work well, I didn’t notice those before. Thanks man! Still open to other good options if anyone has anymore recommendations.

I recently tried my cruiser wheels on a slippery wooden ramp. spitfire hd chargers, those worked really well. they are 80 duro

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #1378 on: November 03, 2018, 04:49:31 PM »

u want something soft for indoor parks like spitfire chargers.  95-97 will still be slippery.  spitfires chargers are really soft but skate like a harder wheel does outside.

olan.is.rollin

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1379 on: November 05, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »
Has anyone tried powerflex wheels? Been eyeing the gumballs for a min now and I wanna know how the feel compared to f4s