Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 789003 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2460 on: January 23, 2020, 06:19:05 AM »
Looking for some advice on softer street wheels. My girlfriend wants to start skating so I’m planning out her setup. She said she wants to buy me a setup for valentines so I’m gonna hand me down my Indy 129’s and let her choose an 8 inch or whatever she likes. The only part of the setup I haven’t figured out is the wheels. I don’t think she’s going to do much besides maybe learn to Ollie so this board will be mostly for skating around Tokyo, parks and skate parks with me while I skate. I figure a softer street wheel that’s on the larger side will be ideal. Problem is I have basically no knowledge on those, I basically stopped thinking about wheels since I started using formula fours.

I don’t think I wanna go with a straight up cruiser wheel, but want something in 54-55 that is soft enough to roll over bumps and deeply grouted tile without too much popping effort or bone rattling harshness, while still feeling somewhat like a “normal” street wheel.

Any advice would be appreciated since I have no idea were to start with these.
ricta clouds - there's a few different formulas depending how soft you want to go and have gotten positive reviews on here. OJ Keyframe 87a are nice i just set those up. Kind of sound perfect for what you are looking for. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2461 on: January 23, 2020, 07:01:46 AM »
okay so I promised this one a while back but shit has been busy since being back at work after the break.
disclaimer: I usually ride nothing but spitfire F4 99 classic and radial slims in size 54mm - I'm old and stuck in my ways and don't want to change but, as I mentioned a few pages back, I wanted to set up a EE3 era inspired board that had some big chunky wheels that were reminiscent of what those guys were riding back then, I was thinking I wanted something like physics wheels and ended up getting these 56mm conical loopholes:

said set-up looks/ looked like this:

initial impressions: as you've probably seen from pics, these wheels are NOT white and look quite old from the get-go. I usually skate F4s so this isn't a problem per se but they are more yellow than brand new F4s. I also noticed little air bubbles/ imperfections in the finishing which kinda reminded me of 90s wheels too!

first skate: I set them up ready to break them in over xmas/ new year because I knew I had enough time off to get a good 7 - 10 session in. The first roll I had on them was in front of my house on the rough road with my son. Hard to judge from this session but they felt nice and fast (probably because I ride 54mm usually) and it was good to see they had no tread on them, just like my beloved F4s. also, the get DIRTY! maybe it's the bigger riding surface but they seemed so fucking grimy after each of my skates...

Second session: Off to my local DIY. The ground there is concrete but still smooth enough to get good power slides on. I do quite a lot of frontside power slides and little switch front 360 ones and straight off the bat I could tell they are down to slide and were quire responsive/ similar to F4s. These ones are listed as 101s (or 84b or some shit) and I could tell they were a tad more slippery than regular F4 99s especially when skating another local spot that has granite tiles on the ground.

third and forth sessions: not gunna lie, I had a lot of fun on this setup and it was the exact look/ feel I was looking for. I did skate a lot over the break and while I'm hardly progressing these days I felt that there wasn't something right about all the skates I had, I was still landing stuff but some tricks were a pain and I was having particular problems with long board slide/ lip slide type tricks on the local ledge. Of course I blame the wheels because I never had this problem with my F4s. The other issue was pop, I was ghosting a lot on tricks I don't usually ghost on. sure, it's a new set-up and it's only 2mm difference but it was getting me down, my board felt heavier too (probably 99% mental). how can 2mm fuck me up this much???

few more sessions in front of my house in the cold: what the fuck is wrong with my pop? I'm skating nearly every day and I'm missing simple shit, even just straight nollies are dribbling along the ground. I get fed up with this shit, run in the house and grab and old pair of F4 classic 54mm (probably 52mm at this point) and start changing them over. In my head I don't want to do it, but the kick on this deck is quite short and I NEED to check if it's the wheels or if I just suck at skating. I think the spitties are going to be a lot slower but was surprised to find that there was hardly any difference. I chalk this up to 99 vs 101 issue; the loopholes were harder and thus not as good when riding on rough surfaces. After 5 or so minutes I get my old (man) pop back, my board instantly feels lighter and even though I don't have the "look" I was going for my set-up just feels right.

next session at my local: had a much better session than the last 3 or 4. Lipslide/ long board slide tricks on the ledge still don't work but it was a wax issue, not a wheel issue.

closing thoughts: they aren't terrible wheels, far from it. The color is going to turn a lot of people off, but function wise I liked them a lot, and their slide felt natural and intuitive. The site I bought them off said they were a tad softer than F4 99s. I don't agree with that but I don't think they are on the harder side of 101s either (ala prize fighter cutlery which absolutely rattled my teeth). So yeah, slide better than 99 F4s but I never skate F4 101s so can't compare. I'm thinking of giving them another shot; either on a board with a bigger tail, or back on the northern co. until I can dial the pop in. In hindsight I probably should have just gotten 54mm because a) I never skate bigger than that anyway and b) I don't usually skate conical wheels.

If I end up not doing anything with them, I'm happy to unload them to a fellow pal if they want pay shipping from Japan. Will let you all know... hope this review is somewhat helpful for someone out there!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 07:03:55 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2462 on: January 23, 2020, 07:48:33 AM »
Mini Logo has some 54mm 95a wheels they just put up on their site.  Haven’t seen them in any shops yet, but they may be the ticket.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #2463 on: January 23, 2020, 07:57:54 AM »
Ok. Thanks. I'm hoping for a chirpy 97a, at least that direction sound-wise. They're almost the only game in town for white 97a wheels too.

https://www.speedlabwheels.com/collections/wheels/products/nomads-56mm-97a
https://www.speedlabwheels.com/collections/wheels/products/bill-danforth-pro-model-58mm-97a
These look wide and they're white. Is it ok/pc to support the nomad? I haven't been keeping up
Also have black 55mm/96a and grey 60mm/98a

http://rainskateswheels.com
Idk if I could handle the colors. Definitely not the wired cuts/shapes

Old fart tangent..
Do wheels sound different now? I haven't ridden softer than 99a in decades.
edit: sorry for putting mike v on you guys but at least it's og stuff. skip to 2:40 for skating

God damn I forgot about this part and how good it is, jo music just pure skating. Really hate his personality but I always loved his skating.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 970
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2464 on: January 23, 2020, 08:27:55 PM »
Im cleaning up a homies board. He doesn't really skate much.

He paid me in buttered tablets haha. Im so stoked ill post when i get home.

Hey who made the wheel that says this wheel is waterproof
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2465 on: January 23, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »
Mini Logo has some 54mm 95a wheels they just put up on their site.  Haven’t seen them in any shops yet, but they may be the ticket.
Yep. I'd forgotten about these. Sounds like a good inbetweener duro for a beginner. Should still slide a lil so they don't get stuck kickturning a flat bank. Idk why that looks so irksome to me. Powerslides are tricks too, right? And they should take the bite out of most cracks/seams. I've seen looking at these and 97a for a cruiser/curbstomper.
What's the ground like in Japan? In the vids I've seen most of it looks really smooth. Might not need a true cruiser wheel.
sml also does 92a and minilogo has 90a

Other thing I'd think about is total height, risers, etc. Beginners seem like they bob a lot when pushing on a taller setup. I wonder if they would feel more stable on something a lil lower, no risers, 54-55mm or smaller. I'm not thinking actual low trucks.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2466 on: January 23, 2020, 10:02:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Other thing I'd think about is total height, risers, etc. Beginners seem like they bob a lot when pushing on a taller setup. I wonder if they would feel more stable on something a lil lower, no risers, 54-55mm or smaller.

i agree
(A)pl(E)

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2467 on: January 23, 2020, 10:05:22 PM »
Might not need a true cruiser wheel.
sml also does 92a and minilogo has 90a

Other thing I'd think about is total height, risers, etc. Beginners seem like they bob a lot when pushing on a taller setup. I wonder if they would feel more stable on something a lil lower, no risers, 54-55mm or smaller. I'm not thinking actual low trucks.

I put the 90a Mini Logos on my kids boards. They are great for kids that weigh 50 lbs, or on super crud surfaces.  I skated them briefly at the park and they were really soft under my 180 lbs.  Not much slide.  They seem to lean more towards cruiser than not.

The 95a wheels are also coming in 52s.  They are A-cut, which is their wider shape and that should help with smoothing things out without being too soft.

Powell also has a 97a 54mm.

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/powell-peralta-ripper-white-black-red-skateboard-wheels-54mm-97a-set-of-4
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:06:54 PM by backinaction »

dakara

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2468 on: January 23, 2020, 10:06:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply’s guys. Those mini logos sound perfect especially for the price but I don’t see much Powell stuff here besides bones wheels, actually idk if I’ve ever seen mini logo stuff at the shop. I’m sure I can get it online somewhere but I’ll do some research. The ground here is extremely varied, for the most part major roads and sidewalks are relatively smooth,  but off-streets go from really smooth to barely skate able with my ff 54mm 99 tablets every 25meters. There is also a ton of deeply grouted tile in plaza and parks as well as many sidewalks which makes regular street wheels pretty rough, as well as blind people textured blocks all over. All in all its hard to get away with a hard smaller street wheel if you wanna skate around town, imo  a good all terrain wheel is needed to skate around Tokyo even for seasoned skaters. In terms of availability I regularly see OJ stuff so those key frames might be the ticket as well, never seen ricta here either. I am not terribly concerned about slide ability, but just from personal expierance cruiser wheels feel like shit for pop and are too sticky feeling for tricks so I am hesitant to go that route

Again thanks for the replys!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:08:33 PM by dakara »

satan

« Reply #2469 on: January 23, 2020, 10:20:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply’s guys. Those mini logos sound perfect especially for the price but I don’t see much Powell stuff here besides bones wheels, actually idk if I’ve ever seen mini logo stuff at the shop. I’m sure I can get it online somewhere but I’ll do some research. The ground here is extremely varied, for the most part major roads and sidewalks are relatively smooth,  but off-streets go from really smooth to barely skate able with my ff 54mm 99 tablets every 25meters. There is also a ton of deeply grouted tile in plaza and parks as well as many sidewalks which makes regular street wheels pretty rough, as well as blind people textured blocks all over. All in all its hard to get away with a hard smaller street wheel if you wanna skate around town, imo  a good all terrain wheel is needed to skate around Tokyo even for seasoned skaters. In terms of availability I regularly see OJ stuff so those key frames might be the ticket as well, never seen ricta here either. I am not terribly concerned about slide ability, but just from personal expierance cruiser wheels feel like shit for pop and are too sticky feeling for tricks so I am hesitant to go that route

Again thanks for the replys!
Just in case you didn't notice there's some 97a talk just above your initial post. Oj, slime balls, speedlab, rain skates. Powell.. and that's about it?
Anyone got more 97a options? 53-56mm range would be nice for me..

edit: you guys in Japan should link up. I've counted 3-4 of you guys so far

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2470 on: January 23, 2020, 10:34:30 PM »
Just in case you didn't notice there's some 97a talk just above your initial post. Oj, slime balls, speedlab, rain skates. Powell.. and that's about it?

Pig - but they seem to be out most places. http://pigwheels.com/multi-pig-head-conical-natural-55mm-97a.html#.XiqO4C3MzOQ

Some cheap blank ones on TGM Skateboards

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2471 on: January 23, 2020, 10:59:28 PM »
via Imgflip Meme Generator

the first time i quit was over being unable to buy wheels over 48mm. Sometimes that was hard to find. When i came back full time. I wentbto Something Else Skate shop and i got a Natural board with tfours i think. Thunder might have dropped a newer model in 94 and Zimbabwe wheels because tgey was basic and bright white.

Later i rode big east wheels because they reminded me of the Zimbabwe Skateboard Wheel.

I was very happy to have almost proper sized wheels.

Anyway i told my friend id clean and rebuild his bearings. Grind the rust off his trucks and he gave me these 44mm buttered tablets because hes also disabled and poor and is one of my favorite people.

Thank you Tony "Spaz" Spaziani. I know you wont see this but maybe you'll search your name someday and see this.

You are a great friend Spaz.

I luv you holmes.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2472 on: January 23, 2020, 11:11:08 PM »

heres the wheel with the messd up bearings I cleaned.

This is the 4th or so times I've seen this kind of set up

No shields but inside out so the plastic cages are facing out. The axle nuts where tightened only till the nylon hit so they had major play from side to side.

Who makes this wheel?
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2473 on: January 23, 2020, 11:17:15 PM »
Oops...

it reads "this wheel is waterproof"

I searched but i got boosted board wheel information
(A)pl(E)

satan

« Reply #2474 on: January 24, 2020, 12:08:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pig - but they seem to be out most places. http://pigwheels.com/multi-pig-head-conical-natural-55mm-97a.html#.XiqO4C3MzOQ

Some cheap blank ones on TGM Skateboards
Thanks. Pig hasn't been on my radar for a while. These fit the size and cut/shape I'm looking for. I'm putting them 2nd on my list just cuz I wanna try white Slime Ball mini's. Curious about the og formula. Now I just gotta convince myself that I won't eat shit and die for ride a wheel other than Spitties.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2475 on: January 25, 2020, 05:29:27 PM »
Speaking of Pig, anybody tried those C-lines? I would love to have some again
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Diocletian

« Reply #2476 on: January 26, 2020, 12:47:56 PM »
Anyone ever have your bearing keep slipping out of your wheel, being mistaken for axle slip?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2477 on: January 26, 2020, 01:44:52 PM »
Anyone ever have your bearing keep slipping out of your wheel, being mistaken for axle slip?

Yup. Got some bearing lube (I think it was gun oil which is crazy slippery and hard to remove) in the pocket and it slipped like crazy. Thought the axle was slipping for a few hours before I figured it out.

Diocletian

« Reply #2478 on: January 26, 2020, 02:23:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup. Got some bearing lube (I think it was gun oil which is crazy slippery and hard to remove) in the pocket and it slipped like crazy. Thought the axle was slipping for a few hours before I figured it out.

Glad I’m not the only one. I was like how could I be getting axle slip, these trucks are new and haven’t even bashed against the axles hardly, since I’ve just been skating indoor bowl and mini ramp. Initially I started by tapping the axle and that’s what made me go uh-oh. But when it did it again, I noticed it was the inner bearing sitting slightly outside the wheel, and then I’d push it back in like I was installing new bearings, and it would sit inside the wheel a little more, so that’s why I think...or hope...it really is just the wheel being the source of the issue.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2479 on: January 26, 2020, 02:37:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Glad I’m not the only one. I was like how could I be getting axle slip, these trucks are new and haven’t even bashed against the axles hardly, since I’ve just been skating indoor bowl and mini ramp. Initially I started by tapping the axle and that’s what made me go uh-oh. But when it did it again, I noticed it was the inner bearing sitting slightly outside the wheel, and then I’d push it back in like I was installing new bearings, and it would sit inside the wheel a little more, so that’s why I think...or hope...it really is just the wheel being the source of the issue.

Yeah, it was a pain in the ass to rectify. Had to soak the bearing in ethanol and let the wheel dry out for a couple days, but after that everything was kosher (they were F4's so I was fairly confident it wasn't a bum wheel). Hope you get it sorted. 

Diocletian

« Reply #2480 on: January 26, 2020, 04:30:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, it was a pain in the ass to rectify. Had to soak the bearing in ethanol and let the wheel dry out for a couple days, but after that everything was kosher (they were F4's so I was fairly confident it wasn't a bum wheel). Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks dude, yeah that’s odd how it happened with F4’s for you, those are usually free from quality control issues. Sometimes chunks come out but that’s the worst I’ve read. I wonder if all the park dust is the culprit for the slippery wheel/bearing?

satan

« Reply #2481 on: January 26, 2020, 09:17:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks dude, yeah that’s odd how it happened with F4’s for you, those are usually free from quality control issues. Sometimes chunks come out but that’s the worst I’ve read. I wonder if all the park dust is the culprit for the slippery wheel/bearing?
Is this a new/newish wheel? Could be a loose core/seat.
If it's older it could have gotten out of round.
Could be the bearing wasn't fully seated?
Do you guys use bearing spacers? The only time it's happened to me was cuz the spacer didn't let one of the bearings bottom out on the wheel. Or I was a wimpy and could push the dry bearings all the way in.
Tried using Bones Swiss spacers with 54mm classics (33.5mm wide), installed with a bearing press. One bearing on each wheel looked like it was sticking out a lil but I ran em anyways. First sesh knocked a wheel crooked missing a 50-50 on a curb. Straightened the wheel and just ditched the spacers when I got home.

I doubt it's caused by the gun oil but it being super slick might have let the bearing slip out more easily.
Acetone (nail polish remover) might be a stronger solvent, cheap, easy to find, not too smelly.
I hope it doesn't put you off using gun oil. I'd love to hear more feedback on using.
What brand oil?
Synthetic?
Moly? Dry lube?

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #2482 on: January 26, 2020, 10:02:02 PM »
That's weird, I use Remington gun oil on my bearings and have yet to have that happen.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2483 on: January 26, 2020, 11:05:47 PM »
Can't remember the brand. Just stuff from the hardware store, usually use that or sewing machine oil. It was a one time thing. The outside bearing surface (the part that seats in the wheel) got slathered in it. After I cleaned it out, and cleaned up the bearing, it's never been an issue (this was like 6+ months ago).

Diocletian

« Reply #2484 on: January 27, 2020, 04:55:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Do you guys use bearing spacers? The only time it's happened to me was cuz the spacer didn't let one of the bearings bottom out on the wheel. Or I was a wimpy and could push the dry bearings all the way in.
Tried using Bones Swiss spacers with 54mm classics (33.5mm wide), installed with a bearing press. One bearing on each wheel looked like it was sticking out a lil but I ran em anyways. First sesh knocked a wheel crooked missing a 50-50 on a curb. Straightened the wheel and just ditched the spacers when I got home.

I doubt it's caused by the gun oil but it being super slick might have let the bearing slip out more easily.
Acetone (nail polish remover) might be a stronger solvent, cheap, easy to find, not too smelly.
I hope it doesn't put you off using gun oil. I'd love to hear more feedback on using.
What brand oil?
Synthetic?
Moly? Dry lube?

It’s a new wheel. Those Bones “rippers” 97a that I’ve been skating for about a month now indoors. I took my wheels off last night and took all the bearings out. My axles were super greasy for some reason. I never clean or add speed cream to my bearings so not sure how that happened. I wiped the axles off good and then the inner and outer rings of the bearings and inside my wheels. Then put it all back together and tightened the axle nut really far to snug the bearings inside the wheel and then loosened them till there was enough room for them to spin properly. We’ll see if that helps.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2485 on: January 27, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »
Does the Ricta Rapido use the same urethane as Oj's Elite?

satan

« Reply #2486 on: January 27, 2020, 07:36:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What brand oil?
Synthetic?
Moly? Dry lube?
[close]

It’s a new wheel. Those Bones “rippers” 97a that I’ve been skating for about a month now indoors. I took my wheels off last night and took all the bearings out. My axles were super greasy for some reason. I never clean or add speed cream to my bearings so not sure how that happened. I wiped the axles off good and then the inner and outer rings of the bearings and inside my wheels. Then put it all back together and tightened the axle nut really far to snug the bearings inside the wheel and then loosened them till there was enough room for them to spin properly. We’ll see if that helps.
Ya, weird. Hopefully it didn't fully seat the first do round. If they fall out again I'd really wonder about the roundness of the core.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2487 on: January 27, 2020, 09:01:37 PM »
found these in my box of oldies....
calipers measure them at 38mm
anyone remember Union Wheel Co?

satan

« Reply #2488 on: January 27, 2020, 09:46:06 PM »
Yep. Markovich's part was the first time I heard Tool.
Were they originally called Sketers Union? And they were like Speed Wheels 2.0 thru NHS?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2489 on: January 28, 2020, 01:38:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yep. Markovich's part was the first time I heard Tool.
Were they originally called Sketers Union? And they were like Speed Wheels 2.0 thru NHS?
Todd Congelliere‘s part!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year