Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778623 times)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2610 on: February 19, 2020, 12:09:23 PM »
I've always ridden the hardest wheel possible, no matter what (I like to powerslide on hills). Hard wheels slide better for hills, ledge tricks and especially bluntsides.

I ended up switching back to harder wheels regardless of ground, I'll just make it work. Pros outweigh the cons.

Went back to bones from my last set of F4 radial slims, as they made the board feel dead and one wheel, once again, had an uneven bearing seat and it just doesn't spin right....never had the issue with any bones wheels (and a very rarely with spits but it does happen).

What's crazy is I used to hate the way bones stfs felt, now I don't really give a shit/like them over spits.

Do the STFs slide better than F4’s?

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #2611 on: February 19, 2020, 12:10:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I just cant handle small wheels no mo'. Had to take off my 51mm tablets and throw on my old ass 54mm conical fulls. Fucking can't stand pushing so much with so little speed.
[close]

You talk a lot about 54mm wheels for someone with that user name of yours.

For real though, the 1 time I skated a 54mm in 99a I felt like I was riding on clouds. Didn't have to tic-tac over every drain cover and crack.
At the time I was living near a newly built but vacated industrial plaza. Ton's of smooth concrete and having smaller wheels was really fun. I like they way they skate, especially for grinds and stuff but now I'm skating rougher street and don't have an area like that anymore. It's just too much work now that I'm skating a different terrain.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2612 on: February 19, 2020, 12:25:40 PM »
I'm back on STF after being F4 only since they came out. It's a welcome change especially for my needs. 53mm V2 is my new favorite. I'll keep my F4 going for whenever I roll out to skate bowls again.

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2613 on: February 19, 2020, 12:46:37 PM »
Recently moved to the bay area, Berkeley to be specific , any recommendations on a wheel for street skating out here, the ground here is really rough

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2614 on: February 19, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
Expand Quote
I've always ridden the hardest wheel possible, no matter what (I like to powerslide on hills). Hard wheels slide better for hills, ledge tricks and especially bluntsides.

I ended up switching back to harder wheels regardless of ground, I'll just make it work. Pros outweigh the cons.

Went back to bones from my last set of F4 radial slims, as they made the board feel dead and one wheel, once again, had an uneven bearing seat and it just doesn't spin right....never had the issue with any bones wheels (and a very rarely with spits but it does happen).

What's crazy is I used to hate the way bones stfs felt, now I don't really give a shit/like them over spits.
[close]

Not better, just different. More quiet and plastic feeling, more controllable slide. IMO they are par with F4’s, I just love my Spitfire bark more.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2615 on: February 19, 2020, 01:26:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Not better, just different. More quiet and plastic feeling, more controllable slide. IMO they are par with F4’s, I just love my Spitfire bark more.

I gotcha, thanks! I got some NFGMFG (same urethane as Loophole) recently which are harder than what I usually ride (99a) and I’m finding that I really like them, so got me curious about how other harder wheels, like non Easy street STF feel

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
« Reply #2616 on: February 20, 2020, 10:43:41 AM »
Anyone looking for something similar to the feel of f4's with a good screech and good grip to slip ratio should check out these Acid REM formula. Just set some up, super impressed with the feel, bark and slide. John Falahee still pours and cuts all his wheels by hand in his factory. Love this sidecut shape, in between the conical and conical full.
They are A little spendy but cool to support someone still making stuff inhouse by hand, and john is a great human, funny guy and so much history.
https://sopdistribution.com/collections/wheels/products/wheel-acid-rem-serpent?variant=31398677020729

Picked up a 55mm set based on your recommendation. They look great, but haven't put them on the setup yet.

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2617 on: February 21, 2020, 10:05:36 AM »
* furiously masturbates over pieces of urethane *

How are the Easy Streets? I've only ever ridden 101 - 103a wheels, nothing softer. The Radial Slims I have are in 99a.

One board has f4 99s classic 51 mm and one has easy streets v1 53mm 99a. The easy streets seem a little softer but they both slide excellent. Probably because f4s are 51mm and easy streets are 53mm. Both are solid wheels and either or are a good choice.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:05:00 PM by tyshoes »

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2618 on: February 21, 2020, 08:55:21 PM »
Thoughts on Powell Peralta Rat Bones 90a?

Currently have PP G-Slides 85a on my cruiser and while I love them, they're hard to do full powerslides with. I can do those little speed check slides, but that's about it.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #2619 on: February 23, 2020, 01:31:29 PM »

I want to try and wallride this ridiculous wall (but might not since the building may be demolished soon).

My question is - for those of you who've skated Ricta Clouds, what softness would be best for this crust? 86a or 78a? Or just in general for any wheel; I'm only inquiring about Clouds because Roger Bagley was praising them on the Nine Club. I still want to use the wheels to skate transition and do simple tricks as well.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2620 on: February 23, 2020, 01:50:10 PM »

My local indoor park is beyond slippery. So hopefully these will help me stay off the floor.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2621 on: February 23, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »

I want to try and wallride this ridiculous wall (but might not since the building may be demolished soon).

My question is - for those of you who've skated Ricta Clouds, what softness would be best for this crust? 86a or 78a? Or just in general for any wheel; I'm only inquiring about Clouds because Roger Bagley was praising them on the Nine Club. I still want to use the wheels to skate transition and do simple tricks as well.

Get the 78a! IMO, the 86a don’t really make any sense because they don’t handle crust as smoothly as the 78 and don’t have any of the benefits of a harder wheel

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #2622 on: February 23, 2020, 02:31:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Get the 78a! IMO, the 86a don’t really make any sense because they don’t handle crust as smoothly as the 78 and don’t have any of the benefits of a harder wheel

Thank you sir, have a gnar

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2623 on: February 23, 2020, 02:33:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My pleasure, thank you!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2624 on: February 23, 2020, 06:04:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You got me thinking, there is a building next to my apartment due to be demolished soon. I'll go check out the car park to see if I can setup a skate spot there. Travelling to the park and dealing with crowds can be annoying.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Saint Coke

« Reply #2625 on: February 23, 2020, 06:45:05 PM »
Has anyone skated the spitfire Radials? How do they compare with the Conical Fulls? I want to skate those, Or just get 58mm Classic F4's.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2626 on: February 23, 2020, 07:56:25 PM »
Has anyone skated the spitfire Radials? How do they compare with the Conical Fulls? I want to skate those, Or just get 58mm Classic F4's.
I probably look at this weirdly but this is my take on the differences

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/
Once you knock the edge of new conicals there won't be a huge difference
Comparing size, width and riding surface..
Conical fulls are similar to radials
And conical are like radial slims

To me the cuts say this..
Conical - Vans, Dickies, trucker hat, wallet chain, hillbombs, PBR, diy spots, parks for the bowls, etc..
Radials - doper fit that might include multi-colored plastic pants, polo shirt and/or bb/futbol jersey
probably gonna revert powerslide outta something, prefers ledges/plazas, could possibly be a eurocunt..
I feel weird saying it but I'm leaning more towards picking eurocunt myself. But I have no plastic pants and Classics are my go to..

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2627 on: February 23, 2020, 09:35:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Conical - Vans, Dickies, trucker hat, wallet chain, hillbombs, PBR, diy spots, parks for the bowls, etc..
Radials - doper fit that might include multi-colored plastic pants, polo shirt and/or bb/futbol jersey

probably gonna revert powerslide outta something, prefers ledges/plazas, could possibly be a eurocunt..
I feel weird saying it but I'm leaning more towards picking eurocunt myself. But I have no plastic pants and Classics are my go to..

Now do Classics, Lock-Ins and Tablets!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2628 on: February 24, 2020, 02:39:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would probably get plastic pants asap...or ditch the Classics. I'm worried for you.

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2629 on: February 24, 2020, 05:21:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ok haha. Sorry I am replying from my work account. I wanted to try radials for the more rounded edges.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2630 on: February 24, 2020, 05:43:34 AM »
I’m on radials now. I enjoy them. My only gripe (which has nothing to do with the shape) is that they are 101a and they are so hard to powerslide. I can speed check but I can’t really slide. Which is fine but just weird. And I’ve had them for about 6months to a almost a year now I think and they haven’t turned that natural color. They are still off white which I don’t understand. But Saturday I was skating a spot where I need to slow down at the bottom of this small hill and idk it’s never been a problem they don’t slide til last Saturday. Slide great on ledges. Idk what the deal is.

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2631 on: February 24, 2020, 05:55:03 AM »
I’m on radials now. I enjoy them. My only gripe (which has nothing to do with the shape) is that they are 101a and they are so hard to powerslide. I can speed check but I can’t really slide. Which is fine but just weird. And I’ve had them for about 6months to a almost a year now I think and they haven’t turned that natural color. They are still off white which I don’t understand. But Saturday I was skating a spot where I need to slow down at the bottom of this small hill and idk it’s never been a problem they don’t slide til last Saturday. Slide great on ledges. Idk what the deal is.
Strange...

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2632 on: February 24, 2020, 06:02:45 AM »
Compared to my old spitfires these look white.  I’ll take a photo later to post.

ILikeToMilkDucks

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2633 on: February 24, 2020, 07:38:26 AM »
I just bought some 53mm slime ball vomit miinis. The white ones. There was a seller on Amazon selling them from 23 dollars prime shipping, so I figured that's cheap and grabbed them. I guess I was right because as soon as the order shipped the seller bumped the price up to 33.

The shape looks cool. Never rode these before, though, will I hate them compared to 99a f4's? Will riding them with the graphic in make a difference due to the shape? For the price I can't imagine I went wrong.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2634 on: February 24, 2020, 07:44:24 AM »
I just bought some 53mm slime ball vomit miinis. The white ones. There was a seller on Amazon selling them from 23 dollars prime shipping, so I figured that's cheap and grabbed them. I guess I was right because as soon as the order shipped the seller bumped the price up to 33.

The shape looks cool. Never rode these before, though, will I hate them compared to 99a f4's? Will riding them with the graphic in make a difference due to the shape? For the price I can't imagine I went wrong.
"The 97a Slimeball formula blend is poured in a reversible dead center bearing and no flex edge radius lip design, resulting in the fastest on command slide-able, slip to grip ratio wheel available. No chipping, no coning, no bearing seat stretch, no softening and no speed loss."

Diocletian

« Reply #2635 on: February 24, 2020, 10:55:14 AM »
Slime balls rule, I loved mine.

So I got some tiny classic formula spitfires after not having some for quite awhile. Tried them at my indoor and fuck the treads are the worst idea ever. They were like skating on an ice rink I ate shit really bad 2-3 times. Had to go outside and do a bunch of powerslides on old rough asphalt for a long time until they started to wear down. It’s been better but I have no idea why they put treads on there, it doesn’t offer anything.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2636 on: February 24, 2020, 04:55:43 PM »

So I got some tiny classic formula spitfires after not having some for quite awhile. Tried them at my indoor and fuck the treads are the worst idea ever. They were like skating on an ice rink I ate shit really bad 2-3 times. Had to go outside and do a bunch of powerslides on old rough asphalt for a long time until they started to wear down. It’s been better but I have no idea why they put treads on there, it doesn’t offer anything.
I cant wait to try mine at my indoor park. I put them on last night and I have never been so excited about a set up.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #2637 on: February 24, 2020, 07:53:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I cant wait to try mine at my indoor park. I put them on last night and I have never been so excited about a set up.

I would def recommend skating the parking lot before. Made the mistake of it on a fresh pair of 52mm classics. Other than that they are some nice wheels, have f4 classics on right now cause that's all my shop had but the classic formulas are just as good.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2638 on: February 25, 2020, 07:06:10 AM »
Is impossible to find F4 Conicals in here hence I'm tempted about getting some Bones. Easy streets have that "plasticy" STF feeling? Also what would be more conical feeling; v4 or v5?
Thanks pals.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 07:11:13 AM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #2639 on: February 25, 2020, 07:17:51 AM »
haven't tried the easy streets yet, but obviously v5, since they're conical.