Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 786145 times)

bombsaway86 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bumpnrun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3180 on: August 04, 2020, 08:38:35 AM »
I've been wanting to try NFG/Loophole wheels for a while and finally bought a pair of the square shape Jameel 54mm wheels.

I get this in no way has an impact on how well they skate but I can't bring myself to skate brand new wheels with bubble chunks missing on the side.  I'm overly neurotic but this is unacceptable quality control as far as I'm concerned.  Super bummed.

Do all of the wheels have that indent? It almost looks like it could be a dent from the mold.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3181 on: August 04, 2020, 08:42:41 AM »
Are bones stf v3 shapes the closest thing to a spitfire f4  classic ?

Is there any performance difference between the bones white and natural colors?

V3s are in a shape/class their own compared to spits. V1 is the closest.

I've not skated a natural 101 and not sure you can get them swapped, by that I mean all the 99s seem to be the offwhite and all the 103b are super white these days.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #3182 on: August 04, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »
sml wheels. Done.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3183 on: August 04, 2020, 09:20:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I put my radial slims up to some V2 locks and was quite surprised on how almost identical they are in shape...anyone skated the tabs and the V2 locks?
[close]

V2s have a somewhat smaller riding surface. That being said, both wheels felt similar in performance regarding the shape, with the V2s maybe feeling a bit more nimble. However, my V2s wore down faster than my tablets.
[close]

Both the same duro?

Yeah

F4 99a, STFs 99a

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3184 on: August 04, 2020, 09:44:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skating some Bigheads and I am enjoying the classic formula. Definitely wears faster than an F4 but they feel really good on rough pavement. The slide is also super nice once the treads are gone.
[close]
Yeah been wanting to grab a set of classic formula for these exact reasons. I don't get to skate enough for them to wear down too fast for me. How's the contact patch after wear?
[close]

Meant to take a pic last night but I ended up running a bunch of errands. The treads were gone after maybe 4 hours of flatground skating, patch looks wider than classics...I have a set of the same size classics so when they come I'll look at the difference. I was told at one point they're the same shape, but I emailed DLX and they said they're not.
Cool thanks.
Per tactics it looks like
bighead 54mm are 34.5mm wide and a 17.5mm contact patch.
Classic 54mm are 33.5mm wide with a 16.5mm contact patch.

comparatively also saw tactics has
OG classics 54mm at 32.3mm wide with a 23.0mm contact patch

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 853
« Reply #3185 on: August 05, 2020, 06:46:35 AM »
Anyone try Portland wheels ? Local shop got a fresh batch in.

I like the shape, however I have no idea about their durability.

If you've ever tried Jivaro they're basically the same, might even be the same people since I think they have the same distro. Creative urethane, so same stuff as speedlab/orbs/sml etc etc. Not as good as F4, but still very good.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #3186 on: August 05, 2020, 07:13:46 AM »
So looks like satori wheels is back

Saw that Spencer H was skating them and looks like they have a new insta

https://www.instagram.com/satoriwheels/

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3187 on: August 05, 2020, 08:24:47 AM »

the worst instagram format. whole branding looks dated

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #3188 on: August 05, 2020, 09:01:00 AM »

skinny wheel skinnier than my current skinny wheels!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3189 on: August 05, 2020, 01:12:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

skinny wheel skinnier than my current skinny wheels!

I mainly skated Satori about 10? years ago, when they were doing the recycled wheels/core thing, send them a bunch of flatted/old wheels and they'd send you new wheels. Good skinny wheels!

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3190 on: August 09, 2020, 04:15:42 PM »
My friend just got the new Ricta Wide Speed Rings as the only f4 99s were swirled color and gotta say they felt very nice. Good shape too. Im still using Easy Streets and the ricta slid better but were similar regarding feel. Didnt get to try them on really rough pavement but not a bad f4 99 replacement option and I never really see Ricta brought up here.

https://socalskateshop.com/Ricta-Speedrings-Wide-Skateboard-Wheels-White-53mm-101a.html

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #3191 on: August 09, 2020, 08:13:33 PM »
My friend just got the new Ricta Wide Speed Rings as the only f4 99s were swirled color and gotta say they felt very nice. Good shape too. Im still using Easy Streets and the ricta slid better but were similar regarding feel. Didnt get to try them on really rough pavement but not a bad f4 99 replacement option and I never really see Ricta brought up here.

https://socalskateshop.com/Ricta-Speedrings-Wide-Skateboard-Wheels-White-53mm-101a.html

Not liking the new shape/hardness of the speed rings, but that’s what the kids are into. The old 103 Speed rings where my favorites until they discontinued them.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3192 on: August 10, 2020, 03:56:35 AM »
Looking for a recommendation to replace my Bones V3 103a 52mm.

Pros:
Light and technical, didn't think going from a V2 to V3 would feel so different
Lots of room for grinds when paired with extra washers especially on 5-0s & Nosegrinds
The 83b feels great for slides
Maintain their speed fairly well on semi-smooth park concrete

Cons:
They suck for regular cruising, really jarring and I lose too much speed
Can feel a unstable when setting up for a trick on flat
Lock in on Crooked grinds could be better

I've tried V1 in 103a which I really liked and V2 in 99a which didn't slide as well as the 101a. Open to try OJs or even a harder Spitfire.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #3193 on: August 18, 2020, 06:53:46 PM »
Anyone skate Pig Wheels? Kinda want to try their conical swirl wheel.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #3194 on: August 24, 2020, 02:43:35 AM »
Is there wheel that would be softer than Spitfire 99 but not too soft to powerslide or revert tricks? The indoor place that i skate winters is super slippery, so i'm looking for wheel that would help with that yet still feel like regular wheel and not a cruiser wheel.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3195 on: August 24, 2020, 08:42:01 AM »
Is there wheel that would be softer than Spitfire 99 but not too soft to powerslide or revert tricks? The indoor place that i skate winters is super slippery, so i'm looking for wheel that would help with that yet still feel like regular wheel and not a cruiser wheel.

Spitfire are coming out with 97a F4. Or you could try the classic formula. Looks like OJ just came out with a cool looking 95a also.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3196 on: August 24, 2020, 08:53:23 AM »
Slimeballs 97s are pretty hard - easy to powerslide em on asphault.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3197 on: August 24, 2020, 08:39:13 PM »
Since is impossible to find F4 down here I'll have to check some other brands.
Anybody tried those AWS Clone wheels? Also I saw some Ricta rápidos wide, is been ages since my last Rictas.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3198 on: August 24, 2020, 10:58:34 PM »
Anybody tried those AWS Clone wheels? Also I saw some Ricta rápidos wide, is been ages since my last Rictas.
just get loopholes, they are dreamy!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3199 on: August 25, 2020, 06:01:37 AM »

Clones are by far the worst wheels I've ever skated. Hard plastic dogshit with no slide that chunks on asphalt.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3200 on: August 25, 2020, 06:10:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
did you revise your initial review? Thought you changed back to 54mm f4 due to ghost pop and such

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #3201 on: August 25, 2020, 06:12:25 AM »
I just got a FUBK Rudy deck, but I’m conflicted.

The question is, should I go with some 44mm boardy cakes, and die from hitting a pebble. Or, just keyframes for a smoother/but not a cruiser feel.

I have a cruiser already, so this is just going to be something to fuck around with. Never had smaller than like 48s. Thoughts anyone? What would y’all do?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3202 on: August 25, 2020, 06:35:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Clones are by far the worst wheels I've ever skated. Hard plastic dogshit with no slide that chunks on asphalt.
This was the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks!
PS: Loopholes in Chile? No way sadly 😔
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

JB77

« Reply #3203 on: August 25, 2020, 06:42:41 AM »

The question is, should I go with some 44mm boardy cakes, and die from hitting a pebble. Or, just keyframes for a smoother/but not a cruiser feel.

I have a cruiser already, so this is just going to be something to fuck around with. Never had smaller than like 48s. Thoughts anyone? What would y’all do?

Boardy Cakes just released a 48.5mm/99a wheels.  They look really sick.  Might be a nice choice for that Rudy setup.

https://www.boardycakes.com/product/boardy-cakes-48-5mm-99a-benchwarmers

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3204 on: August 25, 2020, 06:51:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Boardy Cakes just released a 48.5mm/99a wheels.  They look really sick.  Might be a nice choice for that Rudy setup.

Damn, I didn't see those. I guess I have some thinking to do haha

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3205 on: August 25, 2020, 07:20:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I just got the princess cuts, they're like a 49mm tablet. I skate those kinds of shapes a lot and usually run 50/51mm. On a board of that size it gives it the BPSW look but is still very functional.

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3206 on: August 25, 2020, 07:37:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I just got the princess cuts, they're like a 49mm tablet. I skate those kinds of shapes a lot and usually run 50/51mm. On a board of that size it gives it the BPSW look but is still very functional.

Yea that sounds pretty good to me, and fuck it, I just pulled the trigger on the benchwarmers haha. I'll try em out. Excited for this setup. Thanks guys

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3207 on: August 25, 2020, 09:13:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yea that sounds pretty good to me, and fuck it, I just pulled the trigger on the benchwarmers haha. I'll try em out. Excited for this setup. Thanks guys

Nice! I haven't set them up yet but they're going to be my next...my tablets are like 47mm wish (from 51) but I just can't give them up.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3208 on: August 25, 2020, 07:40:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
did you revise your initial review? Thought you changed back to 54mm f4 due to ghost pop and such
well that was more to do with the board I was riding than the wheels themselves (and maybe the fact that I went from 54 → 56mm)

I bought another set of the 56s and chucked them on my Shin Polar surf shape and it’s so much fun to ride, powerslides are a dream! Sure, I still get ghost pop off the nose but that board has a tiny nose so I’m fairly certain that that is unavoidable.
Either way, the quality of the wheels is up there , the just came out with 54mm conical too so I’m not mad that there’s a worldwide F4 shortage at the moment

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3209 on: August 28, 2020, 06:39:08 AM »
Got some new Boardycakes 48.5mm 99a.  Looking forward to skating these little baked potatoes.

These are SUPER wide and remind me of the first new wheels I ever bought (powell jellyballs).

44mm Boardcakes for comparison.