Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778596 times)

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3390 on: November 30, 2020, 08:07:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone try Satori wheels lately? Thinkin about pickin some up...
[close]

They are fine, but suffer the same fate as all others in that they don't slide as well as F4, nor do they feel as good. I'm happy to ride mine out then I'll probably go back to F4.
[close]

I dont the f4s. Had the. F4 slim 101 and didn’t think they slid for me. I usually ride bones 83b or a similar wheel.

I’m got the satori vinyl cut 101a recently and it’s the first time I’ve loved right out the pack in a while

That's wild, didn't they have treads? Took me a full day to wear off the treads on mine.

Surely you are in the minority on F4's. I'm not knocking the Satori's I just can't power slide as well with them as my 99a F4's. I doubt F4 fans will be making a switch over to Satori, they are fine though.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3391 on: November 30, 2020, 02:11:23 PM »

Only in theory.

Duro is not consistent between brands.
Shape also makes a difference in grip, speed and feel.
But good approximate "rules" for choosing wheels.

Yes definitely a big difference between different brands and their formulas, and I didn't really want to put in my personal preferences on each wheel option, but I think there would be a number of people who would prefer certain brands over others for various reasons.

I often leave Bones out, but they also make different duros of soft wheel too.  Not sure if there are any since covid though.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #3392 on: December 03, 2020, 11:27:04 PM »

Got these in the mail.

They look sick!

Diocletian

« Reply #3393 on: December 04, 2020, 08:02:19 PM »
95a NFG's arrived. Not sure if it has anything to do with the durometer or just the batch but these came out more yellow than the other hard formulas I've had. I don't not like it though, these are still some sick wheels.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3394 on: December 04, 2020, 08:14:21 PM »
I personally love that color wheel. I can't stand the unnatural white glow of some wheels. Truth is the off-white, potatoey color is closer to a natural urethane color. Those look great.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3395 on: December 04, 2020, 08:46:52 PM »
95a NFG's arrived. Not sure if it has anything to do with the durometer or just the batch but these came out more yellow than the other hard formulas I've had. I don't not like it though, these are still some sick wheels.

They do look good, pretty much a classic full shape by comparison, also not a worry with the colour.

I don't think they would ever make it to Australia, but I am guessing a lot more people there are riding these by choice over some other brands.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3396 on: December 04, 2020, 09:01:08 PM »
Got my 95a as well. V cut shape tho. Can’t wait to try em

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3397 on: December 05, 2020, 08:42:26 AM »
NFG/Loopholes are so good. Psyched to hear how the 95s perform.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3398 on: December 05, 2020, 10:06:17 AM »
My Square NFG 95s don't show up until Monday.

In the meantime, I need to give a shout out to 99a STF.  I don't see much love for them around here.

I was looking for something grippier than the STF 103a that I had been using at the park.  I don't like using them when the temperatures are in the 30s and low 40s. 

I put on some F4 99s.  As happens every time I use F4 99s in transition - I remember again how slow they feel.  Skating the exact same lines I would end up lower, shorter and more tired halfway through the session.  I have F4 101s that I like, but the 99s always go back in the shoebox within a week or two.

I put on the STF 99s.  They are faster than F4s on the buttery smooth park I skate - almost as fast as the 103s, and have better traction, are quieter, and more comfortable.   With the F4s I would be thinking about pumping harder and trying to find speed wherever I could.  With the STFs, they are fast enough that I don't think about them when skating.

I'll probably go back to 103s when it gets warm, but am super happy with the 99s for now.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3399 on: December 05, 2020, 11:26:30 AM »
rain all night and day today and now it’s turning to snow .. sucks. Dying to set them up.

Thought these looked sharp

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIbU9CvFyW6/?igshid=1eczoqmmhc9vf

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 840
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3400 on: December 05, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
rain all night and day today and now it’s turning to snow .. sucks. Dying to set them up.

Thought these looked sharp

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIbU9CvFyW6/?igshid=1eczoqmmhc9vf
id cheat on white wheels for those
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Brguy

« Reply #3401 on: December 05, 2020, 11:38:28 AM »
Last time I got wheels I got Bones SPF instead of STF. They're good, but I miss the reckless sliding.

Diocletian

« Reply #3402 on: December 05, 2020, 11:45:35 AM »

In the meantime, I need to give a shout out to 99a STF.  I don't see much love for them around here.

I was looking for something grippier than the STF 103a that I had been using at the park.  I don't like using them when the temperatures are in the 30s and low 40s. 

I put on some F4 99s.  As happens every time I use F4 99s in transition - I remember again how slow they feel.  Skating the exact same lines I would end up lower, shorter and more tired halfway through the session.  I have F4 101s that I like, but the 99s always go back in the shoebox within a week or two.

I put on the STF 99s.  They are faster than F4s on the buttery smooth park I skate - almost as fast as the 103s, and have better traction, are quieter, and more comfortable.   With the F4s I would be thinking about pumping harder and trying to find speed wherever I could.  With the STFs, they are fast enough that I don't think about them when skating.

I'll probably go back to 103s when it gets warm, but am super happy with the 99s for now.

Funny you posted this, I noticed my local got some Bones 99a "fatties" in stock and they're the sickest shape ever. Better than spit classics, classic fulls, and they're just a hair fatter than these NFG teardrops. Feels weird that I think I might be stoked on the Bones more, dare I say.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3403 on: December 05, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Funny you posted this, I noticed my local got some Bones 99a "fatties" in stock and they're the sickest shape ever. Better than spit classics, classic fulls, and they're just a hair fatter than these NFG teardrops. Feels weird that I think I might be stoked on the Bones more, dare I say.

Bones have made almost the best wheels for a long time, definitely outlasting almost anything else, less likely to flatspot or have issues and now come in many more shapes, sizes and hardness options.

There are always going to be those people who prefer one over the other and they have every right to say that, but personal preference has more sway on here.  In the shop it is a different story, and depends on what the skater wants.  It also helps to have two boards set up for them to try, one with Bones and usually my board with Spitfires.

It would be unfair to say otherwise, and I have had so many sets pass through my hands, but I just prefer everything I get from Spitfire, especially now with Formula Four, so for me personally, I don't really talk about Bones.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3404 on: December 05, 2020, 06:32:50 PM »

Your pics finally pushed me to buy a couple sets of factory seconds to try out. My wife said they are my Christmas present.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3405 on: December 05, 2020, 06:32:50 PM »
It also helps to have two boards set up for them to try, one with Bones and usually my board with Spitfires.

I have 6-9 setups at any time.  Current wheels on setups are:

STF 103
STF 99
SPF 104
F4 101
F4 99
Bones ATF 80a
OJ 99a
and I am putting the NFG 95s on another setup on monday.

Trucks vary as well: Ace, Indy stage 6, 7, 10 and 11, Thunder and Mini Logo.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3406 on: December 05, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »

bump and to compare the VEE shape. 54mm 95a. Also next to 53mm conical full and 54mm conical.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3407 on: December 05, 2020, 09:00:15 PM »

Are NFG/ Loophole both poured by the same ex-Spitifre guy?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3408 on: December 05, 2020, 09:15:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are NFG/ Loophole both poured by the same ex-Spitifre guy?

I think people have said Loophole comes from the NFG MFG place, everything related to the name in response to or alluding to that situation, yes, but actual facts seem a bit unclear, as Formula Four was in production before he joined the DLX roster, then left and started his own wheel business.  Info on their site too:

https://www.nfgmfg.com/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs6DPRKF770/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3409 on: December 05, 2020, 09:25:29 PM »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3410 on: December 05, 2020, 09:35:51 PM »
Expand Quote
It also helps to have two boards set up for them to try, one with Bones and usually my board with Spitfires.
[close]

I have 6-9 setups at any time.  Current wheels on setups are:

STF 103
STF 99
SPF 104
F4 101
F4 99
Bones ATF 80a
OJ 99a
and I am putting the NFG 95s on another setup on monday.

Trucks vary as well: Ace, Indy stage 6, 7, 10 and 11, Thunder and Mini Logo.

Totally sounds like fun!

I have way too many setups, but specifically a couple just for people to ride to see what the wheels feel like, which is sometimes easier than saying here put them on your own board for a session, even though I do have quite a few sets with bearings in them ready to go if that is needed too.

It is handy / works well given the shop space is part of a private skatepark too, so they can skate them on concrete (both raw and painted), skatelite and a couple of other surfaces to see what works best for what they usually ride.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3411 on: December 06, 2020, 06:08:56 PM »
Found these in a mic bag.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

ballintoohard

« Reply #3412 on: December 06, 2020, 08:14:44 PM »
My 52mm Loophole somehow all measure 50.8 brand new.

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3413 on: December 06, 2020, 08:26:35 PM »
I was in the 99a f4 conical full gang for the last year and loving the curb life on them, but ate serious shit slipping out at the park twice this past week. I’m just not great on transition to begin with so figured I’d try something a little grippier. Got talked into some 99a OJ hardline elites at the local. They’re noticeably faster and do grip better, which may or may not be a plus for all. Really solid wheel. Kinda wish they were made in the US (or Mexico), but otherwise loving them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3414 on: December 06, 2020, 08:40:13 PM »
I was in the 99a f4 conical full gang for the last year and loving the curb life on them, but ate serious shit slipping out at the park twice this past week. I’m just not great on transition to begin with so figured I’d try something a little grippier. Got talked into some 99a OJ hardline elites at the local. They’re noticeably faster and do grip better, which may or may not be a plus for all. Really solid wheel. Kinda wish they were made in the US (or Mexico), but otherwise loving them.

Curious if the F4 wheels were more worn down which may slow them down, but some OJ elites I had did feel way more grippy than the spitfires.

Also what or how did you slip out? I know most of those conical full get more grippy as they get older (to me anyway) but always interested in other experiences.

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3415 on: December 06, 2020, 10:59:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Curious if the F4 wheels were more worn down which may slow them down, but some OJ elites I had did feel way more grippy than the spitfires.

Also what or how did you slip out? I know most of those conical full get more grippy as they get older (to me anyway) but always interested in other experiences.

The f4s were definitely worn down 2-3mm from the original 55 and were starting to look squared off and beat up...in a good way, aesthetically, but not so much for performance. Now that I think about it, expecting great results from year old wheels is asking a lot.

One f4 slip out was your standard early-morning, bowl pump mishap and the other was coming out of an axle stall doing a delayed little revert thing that normally works out. Ouch. The new OJs feel way less icy, so now I can blame like 3% of those f4 slams on a personal gear mismatch and keep the madness alive.

Do you know how sml wheels compare to f4 in terms of grip? Cheers

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #3416 on: December 06, 2020, 11:11:26 PM »

I tried the 101 and they are super fast and have great control at the park, but I can't handle the rattle in the streets. It's pretty drastic. Wish I tried the 99, but still skeptical.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3417 on: December 07, 2020, 12:58:34 AM »
The new OJs feel way less icy, so now I can blame like 3% of those f4 slams on a personal gear mismatch and keep the madness alive.

Do you know how sml wheels compare to f4 in terms of grip? Cheers

Ha, yeah definitely got to try some out and see what works.

I have had / seen two different types of SML wheels and both were good / no issues, but I didn't skate them much and passed them on to others who needed wheels, more so because I usually ride and feel most comfortable on Spitfires.

One set was very white, which seemed harder at first, the other set more milky, and was a bit softer / had more grip.  I guess being one of the many brands who use other wheels, it is just one of those things.

See this post for the slight differences, not counting the coloured wheels at the end.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHIvCnLJ34T/

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #3418 on: December 07, 2020, 02:48:29 AM »
I'm currently on some SML V-Cuts but need a change. There's no radial slims available where I am. Tonnes of Wayward wheels at shops here though. Anybody skated them recently?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3419 on: December 07, 2020, 03:19:32 AM »
Sml would actually be a good option, they have a lot more grip (hard to get used to coming off F4s but still slide when you need to).
This is the OG formula I’m taking about

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year