Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 783304 times)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3870 on: June 15, 2021, 12:17:20 PM »
Getting much more pop them my other wheels.
C'mon on now, this has to be a joke.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3871 on: June 15, 2021, 12:44:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Taller, perhaps?

TheCrimsonShroud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 98
« Reply #3872 on: June 15, 2021, 12:52:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Taller, perhaps?
Not quite. These are 54, and I ride 52/4/6 depending. I got more pop because these are harder than the cruisers I had on it. I'm 200lbs and the 90a's I had on were smooth as silk, but definitely mushed under my weight. Made it hard to even Ollie.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1296
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3873 on: June 15, 2021, 05:00:54 PM »
^From what I've been picking up around here, eBay is flooded with bootleg product so just be sure to vet your vendor there. A lot of Spitfire's were being sold on there when there was an industry wide shortage that predated Covid.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3874 on: June 15, 2021, 06:08:42 PM »
^From what I've been picking up around here, eBay is flooded with bootleg product so just be sure to vet your vendor there. A lot of Spitfire's were being sold on there when there was an industry wide shortage that predated Covid.
Thanks, man. I actually got this guy from a thread here. He sells factory blems at a discount. Which is good for trying shapes and formulas.

https://ebay.com/usr/marcs_board_shop

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3875 on: June 15, 2021, 06:49:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks, man. I actually got this guy from a thread here. He sells factory blems at a discount. Which is good for trying shapes and formulas.

Not that guy but another one maybe ten or more likely fifteen years ago was a great one to get those from, cheap and decent wheels, which still performed exactly how they should, as he had an inside with Skate One / Bones who would get all the slightly bubbled / discoloured / any other issue Bones wheels for so much cheaper than regular product.

When looking through his feedback, so many different types of Skate One wheels, 5000+ 100% positive feedback and definitely seems legit.

The fake thread is here, if anyone is interested:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115386.0
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3876 on: June 15, 2021, 06:59:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not that guy but another one maybe ten or more likely fifteen years ago was a great one to get those from, cheap and decent wheels, which still performed exactly how they should, as he had an inside with Skate One / Bones who would get all the slightly bubbled / discoloured / any other issue Bones wheels for so much cheaper than regular product.

When looking through his feedback, so many different types of Skate One wheels, 5000+ 100% positive feedback and definitely seems legit.

The fake thread is here, if anyone is interested:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115386.0
Pretty sure this dude has an in. All his stuff is Powell. Be it Bones, Rats, etc. Now I’m cruising eBay looking for fakes. $30 for Bones Swiss?

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #3877 on: June 16, 2021, 02:05:37 PM »
tablets have more contact surface than classics yeah?

Been on OJ conical fulls forever and want something slightly less chunky but still grippy enough

no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #3878 on: June 16, 2021, 02:09:04 PM »

Been on OJ conical fulls forever and want something slightly less chunky but still grippy enough

Yeah, Tablets are 20mm and Classics are 15.5 on a 52mm wheel. The only bigger patch is the Conical Full.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3879 on: June 16, 2021, 02:11:41 PM »

Yeah, tablets have more contact surface than classics. Here are the specs of their shapes https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3880 on: June 16, 2021, 02:12:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, Tablets are 20mm and Classics are 15.5 on a 52mm wheel. The only bigger patch is the Conical Full.
If you grab 54mm size, the riding surface of tablets and conical fulls is both 22mm

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #3881 on: June 17, 2021, 07:01:53 AM »
one more dumb question, rounded classics are better for slappies I assume?

I'm trying my damndest to not have a two board setup. I'm not one to mess w a board once it is setup.
Want some wheels that I can ride at park and flatground small stuff. Might just have to start swapping out wheels and letting the madness take me into the mud
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3882 on: June 17, 2021, 08:27:55 AM »
one more dumb question, rounded classics are better for slappies I assume?

I'm trying my damndest to not have a two board setup. I'm not one to mess w a board once it is setup.
Want some wheels that I can ride at park and flatground small stuff. Might just have to start swapping out wheels and letting the madness take me into the mud

I'm not the best at slappies, but I've tried Formula 4 Classics in 99 duro from 50mm to 54mm and I've also tried F4 Tablets in 51mm and 52mm in both 99 and 101 duro.

The better all around wheel is probably the F4 54mm Classic. It has the speed and pop of a bigger wheel but it feels nice to turn and easy to control in slides. When it wears down, the contact patch becomes bigger so it's kind of the best of both worlds.

The tablets are good too but they don't feel as good to ride. They do lock into grinds even in the smaller sizes but don't feel as nice to ride or slide as the classics.

I'd avoid 50mm and 51mm classics though. The small size and small contact patch means pebbles become deadly and it made my board feel like it was hard to control.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 439
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3883 on: June 17, 2021, 08:40:37 AM »
The shop I work at just got an email from DLX stating that there’s a urethane shortage and Spitfire production is about to slow down again. If you need Spitfire gtwyc but “stocking up “ is just gonna make shit worse.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3884 on: June 17, 2021, 03:20:49 PM »
Im kinda debating on trying something new and getting some V5 bones. For an all around type of wheel. Prob 99a. Has anyone had them? Is bones 99a similar to spitfire 99a ? Or should I get the 101a V5?

Also I feel I should know this but I never paid much attention to wheels but what would be some pro/cons of 52mm and 54mm wheel?  Prob gonna run them with AF1s

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3885 on: June 17, 2021, 03:37:23 PM »
Im kinda debating on trying something new and getting some V5 bones. For an all around type of wheel. Prob 99a. Has anyone had them? Is bones 99a similar to spitfire 99a ? Or should I get the 101a V5?

Also I feel I should know this but I never paid much attention to wheels but what would be some pro/cons of 52mm and 54mm wheel?  Prob gonna run them with AF1s

I have V5 in both 99 and 103, and F4 Conicals in 99 and 101.   STF 99 are similar to F4 99, but more grip and less slide. Similar speed.   103 SPF are super fast in the park, but a bit rough feeling outside. They are plenty fast and slide well, but do rattle you.    I am using F4 101 conicals as my "all around" wheel, but I do tend to skate more park than crust.  Most people would be better off with a 99 as their all around and get Bones if you want more grip or F4 if you want to slide.

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3886 on: June 17, 2021, 03:40:55 PM »

I don't skate bones so I can't offer a comparison, but I'll try to list the pros of both 52mm and 54mm.

52mm
Lighter weight
Less potential for wheel bite
Flips easier
More responsive/lighter feeling

54mm
Faster for park skating
Rolls over cracks/pebbles easier
Better lock-in for a lot of grinds
Possibly more pop
Probably more traction

Spitfire makes their wheels wider as the size goes up but it's not as significant with Bones.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3887 on: June 17, 2021, 03:53:20 PM »

Had v5 103a when they came out years ago, very good wheels. Slid good and lasted long. Only downside (for me) was that they were very white and maybe a bit too slippery for indoors. I prefer spitfires because I like their more natural color and the formula fours feel just right for me. Bones last longer though. If you are riding low trucks consider buying 52mm wheels.

I personally prefer 52mm in shapes like radial slim and tablet because their riding surface is already wider than let’s say, a classic. If I would get classics I would get 54mm because when they get smaller the riding surface increases so when they are down to about 50mm they would feel amazing to me.

Currently riding radial slims 101a 52mm and they are now down to ~48mm and they feel amazing. Lock in grinds well and don’t get too much wheelbite.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #3888 on: June 17, 2021, 04:22:27 PM »

They're super different. STF 99 feels like a softer wheel but performs like a harder one if that makes any sense. F4 99 feel true to durometer. Again, if that makes any sense.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3889 on: June 17, 2021, 05:33:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They're super different. STF 99 feels like a softer wheel but performs like a harder one if that makes any sense. F4 99 feel true to durometer. Again, if that makes any sense.

Like soft in crust and hard for slides? Or the opposite where it’s a bad situation? Ha.

Most the streets here are crusty Midwest streets. But I’m in a park half the time I bet and streets and diy the other half.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3890 on: June 17, 2021, 05:59:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Like soft in crust and hard for slides? Or the opposite where it’s a bad situation? Ha.

Most the streets here are crusty Midwest streets. But I’m in a park half the time I bet and streets and diy the other half.
Exactly what you wrote.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3891 on: June 17, 2021, 08:01:59 PM »
The shop I work at just got an email from DLX stating that there’s a urethane shortage and Spitfire production is about to slow down again. If you need Spitfire gtwyc but “stocking up “ is just gonna make shit worse.

Thanks - very interesting!

I think a lot of production is going to be slowed down to some degree with all the issues with raw material shortages that are happening and still yet to be felt across many industries, eg urethane, wood, various truck metal (no titanium axles coming out of Ermico for Thunder or Venture in a long time - only coming out of China on Indy trucks).

jkadams

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3892 on: June 17, 2021, 09:04:43 PM »
Several posts in here have mentioned "breaking in" new wheels.  I understand the need to wear down the treads on wheels that have treads, but other than that, I don't understand what could change after a few sessions.

For example, I just tried some NFG V wheels for the first time, and it was like skating the Flintstones' car on my shitty local MN streets/spots... is there any reason to think that they would feel different/better after a few sessions?  (When wheels rattle my bones and make skating not fun like the NFGs did, I usually take them off right away and throw them in a box [eventually donate], but some of the posts in here have me wondering if I have been missing out on the wonders of "broken in" hard wheels.)

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #3893 on: June 17, 2021, 10:43:35 PM »

Wheels I have in rotation on my boards atm. I must say that I really like the Tom Knox 53’s. Where are SML wheels made??

prettyVale

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3894 on: June 18, 2021, 04:43:31 AM »
Hey guys!
 can Anyone help me deciding for new wheels?

I skate mostly concrete bowls but like street(mostly parks) aswell. Currently I ride OJ's EZ Edge 101A. I just learned pivot to fakie and It feels so easy with this shape of the wheel. With the bones SPF V5 I always had troubles to do grinds to fakie smoothly, especially when the truck is grineded down. And it feels like the wheels while slides better while doing bs smith grinds.
I was looking for maybe Spitfire classics or radials in 55mm and 99d. Can anyone recomend them over the conicals for transistion skating? I heard OJ's 101a is not as hard as the spitfire 101a.

I feel lost and wheels are quite expensive in europe...

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3895 on: June 18, 2021, 05:29:00 AM »
Hey guys!
 can Anyone help me deciding for new wheels?

I skate mostly concrete bowls but like street(mostly parks) aswell. Currently I ride OJ's EZ Edge 101A. I just learned pivot to fakie and It feels so easy with this shape of the wheel. With the bones SPF V5 I always had troubles to do grinds to fakie smoothly, especially when the truck is grineded down. And it feels like the wheels while slides better while doing bs smith grinds.
I was looking for maybe Spitfire classics or radials in 55mm and 99d. Can anyone recomend them over the conicals for transistion skating? I heard OJ's 101a is not as hard as the spitfire 101a.

I feel lost and wheels are quite expensive in europe...
From what you're saying I would go for F4 101 conical fulls
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3896 on: June 18, 2021, 06:04:23 AM »
@Velcro Wallet SML uses two factories depending on the formula (OG or AG). From the man himself:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The new OJs feel way less icy, so now I can blame like 3% of those f4 slams on a personal gear mismatch and keep the madness alive.

Do you know how sml wheels compare to f4 in terms of grip? Cheers
[close]

Ha, yeah definitely got to try some out and see what works.

I have had / seen two different types of SML wheels and both were good / no issues, but I didn't skate them much and passed them on to others who needed wheels, more so because I usually ride and feel most comfortable on Spitfires.

One set was very white, which seemed harder at first, the other set more milky, and was a bit softer / had more grip.  I guess being one of the many brands who use other wheels, it is just one of those things.

See this post for the slight differences, not counting the coloured wheels at the end.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHIvCnLJ34T/
[close]

So the ones with the flowers on the left are our AG formula (made specific Austyn) from Creative Urethane which is closer to a Spitfire Classic. They have a more traditional feel with a little bit easier slide-ability.

The other ones on the right are our OG formula from Aend They are closer to a Bones STF. They have a high rebound so they won't flat spot it doesn't have to do with the hardness as much as the high quality of urethane . So they do take a little more effort on the slide but I personally love them.

The duro is the same 99a on both but they both have their own feel.

I hope this info is helpful and thanks for the support!!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3897 on: June 18, 2021, 08:17:13 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BR29bk-AWlGmkRCHbrCa7kIg9NSDb7EZeABJ-M0/?utm_medium=copy_link
Need a little help pals. I had these Bones 100s but I can't remember the shape. Any thoughts just by the looks?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #3898 on: June 19, 2021, 01:55:45 AM »
Thanks for the info peeps. SML rules.

Man those 40mm look awesome.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3899 on: June 19, 2021, 03:16:31 AM »
Need a little help pals. I had these Bones 100s but I can't remember the shape. Any thoughts just by the looks?

The account is private, so maybe grab a screen shot instead to post.

Added:

From the ones that I had seen and what I looked up, they were the same shapes as the other Bones wheels, which can either be V 1 - 5 which have more recently been changed to a more descriptive name of the shape, but just in case they were mini logo, the A cut = V5 / sidecut and C cut = V1 or V3 like the classics - those two were the most common, that were everywhere.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 03:25:33 AM by Mbrimson88 »