Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 790590 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3900 on: June 19, 2021, 05:14:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Need a little help pals. I had these Bones 100s but I can't remember the shape. Any thoughts just by the looks?
[close]

The account is private, so maybe grab a screen shot instead to post.

Added:

From the ones that I had seen and what I looked up, they were the same shapes as the other Bones wheels, which can either be V 1 - 5 which have more recently been changed to a more descriptive name of the shape, but just in case they were mini logo, the A cut = V5 / sidecut and C cut = V1 or V3 like the classics - those two were the most common, that were everywhere.

My bad

I would say V4 or V1
And just in case
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 05:25:41 AM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3901 on: June 21, 2021, 02:12:51 PM »
Has anyone tried these? A wheel company from Europe, so the prices aren’t too bad here in EU...
Thinking of getting a set of their classic shape in 55mm
https://bronxwheels.com/

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3902 on: June 21, 2021, 03:39:29 PM »
Looking for some wheel recommendations y'all. Currently on a polar dane 1 9.75, indy 169s, slimeball 97s, spitfire reds. I'm just breaking this set-up in but I can already tell that the slimeballs (not new) are not gonna work with what I'm looking to ride this specific board for. I want to use this as a slappy/transition screw around board and also as a filming board (hoping I can find wheels that would work for both options). I'm open to trying wheels other than spits and bones (i only seem to ride F4s on other setups). What size/durometer would you recommend for what I'm trying to do and anyone have any specific wheel recommendations?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3903 on: June 21, 2021, 05:21:06 PM »
OJ Nomads 95 maybe
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #3904 on: June 21, 2021, 06:29:28 PM »
Looking for some wheel recommendations y'all. Currently on a polar dane 1 9.75, indy 169s, slimeball 97s, spitfire reds. I'm just breaking this set-up in but I can already tell that the slimeballs (not new) are not gonna work with what I'm looking to ride this specific board for. I want to use this as a slappy/transition screw around board and also as a filming board (hoping I can find wheels that would work for both options). I'm open to trying wheels other than spits and bones (i only seem to ride F4s on other setups). What size/durometer would you recommend for what I'm trying to do and anyone have any specific wheel recommendations?
The OJ keyframes are fucking awesome filmer wheels, they are 87a so they are soft and will help with the filming but are hard enough to be able to skate around and shit.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #3905 on: June 21, 2021, 07:25:54 PM »

Powell Peralta Ray Bones skull and swords might work for you. They’re 58mm 90a. I’ve know a few dudes who were pretty good all terrain skaters that rode them

sketchyrider

« Reply #3906 on: June 22, 2021, 06:48:23 AM »
IMO it might be a little hard to find a wheel that has the filmer cushiony feel that still skates like a hard wheel, maybe ricta clouds 92a.

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3907 on: June 22, 2021, 07:35:26 AM »
oj keyframes confirmed ! they are perfect, and they stay perfect sub 50mm

topfrog10

« Reply #3908 on: June 22, 2021, 10:03:02 AM »
IMO it might be a little hard to find a wheel that has the filmer cushiony feel that still skates like a hard wheel, maybe ricta clouds 92a.

I think i'm willing to get a different set of film we wheels for the sake of a real good slappy/transition wheel

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3909 on: June 22, 2021, 10:16:59 AM »

My buddy has some Ricta Clouds 52mm 92a and they're a pretty sweet wheel. They ride very smooth, especially for the size and they can even noseslide if you press down hard enough and are going fast.

They're a little too soft and cushiony for me so the closest thing to filmer wheels that I ride are the Spitfire Formula 4 Conical Full 54mm 97a. They're nice and wide, can roll over anything but they have the feedback and response of a street wheel. I was only able to noseslide and boardslide ledges with them with a slick board though.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3910 on: June 22, 2021, 12:31:57 PM »
yeah, if you *had* to have one wheel to do it all, from cruising to sliding on ledges, it would probably be a 95a or 97a wheel.

its kinda worth it to have a cruiser board and a main setup, if you like cruising instead of say riding a bike.

topfrog10

« Reply #3911 on: June 22, 2021, 01:18:00 PM »
yeah, if you *had* to have one wheel to do it all, from cruising to sliding on ledges, it would probably be a 95a or 97a wheel.

its kinda worth it to have a cruiser board and a main setup, if you like cruising instead of say riding a bike.

i'm definitely a bike over cruiser guy and have recently discovered the greatness of biking to spots. i think i might get the bones filmer wheels and wait on a recommendation from  someone here on a good slappy and transition wheel

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3912 on: June 22, 2021, 01:53:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i'm definitely a bike over cruiser guy and have recently discovered the greatness of biking to spots. i think i might get the bones filmer wheels and wait on a recommendation from  someone here on a good slappy and transition wheel

A wheel that's good at slappys and transition? I always thought people enjoyed small wheels for slappys and bigger wheels for transition. Either way, you might wanna look at the Spitfire F4 Classic 53mm 97a.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3913 on: June 22, 2021, 03:57:24 PM »

What size are / were the Slimeballs?

They do come in 60mm (which are great fun for bigger type wheels) but also down as low as 53 or 52mm as well, so it depends on what size wheel you are wanting, which i have not seen you say yet.

Most of these other wheels mentioned also come in 52 up to 56 or so and readily available for the most part, depending on where you are or where you are willing to buy from.

There really are so many alternatives, big to small, hard to soft, so depending on where you are might limit your options.

Filmer wheels (around 80 to 90 duro) are so good for cruising as well but are rather limiting for skating more normally, but if you are used to them, I gues it is ok as I know people who love them for everything.  The Bones / Powell 90 duro wheels are really good for still getting around fast and you can skate them easily enough on transition but they do slow you down in tricks that would normally keep you rolling faster with harder wheels, not so much slides, but grinds where the wheel is pushing against the edge like slappies to some degree too.

Normal wheels, even slightly softer will be a much better overall ride, so 95+ duro

Even between Slimeballs 97 and Spitfire 97s there are significant differences - I have both and they are both good wheels,  for a slightly softer normal wheel feel.

I got the classic 56mm 97 Spitfires and they are so good being that little bit bigger, great for slappy grinds, not so easy for nose or tail slides right now but they will wear down over time and last a lot longer too.

So that is just my opinion and most of my normal boards have 99 duro Spitfires that are closer to 52-54 worn down wheels that were bigger when new, but I still have boards with 97, 95, 92 and some even softer wheels that are good for certain things.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

topfrog10

« Reply #3914 on: June 22, 2021, 04:08:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They do come in 60mm (which are great fun for bigger type wheels) but also down as low as 53 or 52mm as well, so it depends on what size wheel you are wanting, which i have not seen you say yet.

Most of these other wheels mentioned also come in 52 up to 56 or so and readily available for the most part, depending on where you are or where you are willing to buy from.

There really are so many alternatives, big to small, hard to soft, so depending on where you are might limit your options.

Filmer wheels (around 80 to 90 duro) are so good for cruising as well but are rather limiting for skating more normally, but if you are used to them, I gues it is ok as I know people who love them for everything.  The Bones / Powell 90 duro wheels are really good for still getting around fast and you can skate them easily enough on transition but they do slow you down in tricks that would normally keep you rolling faster with harder wheels, not so much slides, but grinds where the wheel is pushing against the edge like slappies to some degree too.

Normal wheels, even slightly softer will be a much better overall ride, so 95+ duro

Even between Slimeballs 97 and Spitfire 97s there are significant differences - I have both and they are both good wheels,  for a slightly softer normal wheel feel.

I got the classic 56mm 97 Spitfires and they are so good being that little bit bigger, great for slappy grinds, not so easy for nose or tail slides right now but they will wear down over time and last a lot longer too.

So that is just my opinion and most of my normal boards have 99 duro Spitfires that are closer to 52-54 worn down wheels that were bigger when new, but I still have boards with 97, 95, 92 and some even softer wheels that are good for certain things.

thanks for all this info man, it's appreciated. i'm pretty sure the slimes are 58, and if i'm being honest i csnt tell you what i don't like about them which is why i don't know what i should change for make them ideal. i think i want to go with a 56 or 58 wheel, i ride 54 classics on my smaller setup and i really like them but i was concerned that the contact patch might be too skinny for good slappy/transition riding on a board that is so much larger (normally ride 8.5). so if i'm scratching the search for filmer wheels and want a solid 56/58 wheel for slappy riding n transition, would you recommend a 97 classic or do you think a wider contact patch would be more ideal?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3915 on: June 22, 2021, 04:16:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

thanks for all this info man, it's appreciated. i'm pretty sure the slimes are 58, and if i'm being honest i csnt tell you what i don't like about them which is why i don't know what i should change for make them ideal. i think i want to go with a 56 or 58 wheel, i ride 54 classics on my smaller setup and i really like them but i was concerned that the contact patch might be too skinny for good slappy/transition riding on a board that is so much larger (normally ride 8.5). so if i'm scratching the search for filmer wheels and want a solid 56/58 wheel for slappy riding n transition, would you recommend a 97 classic or do you think a wider contact patch would be more ideal?

The weird thing about the 56mm 97 classics is they seem to have the best mix of grip and contact right from the first session in a fairly new almost slippery bowl, but I guess being more conservative in my approach, I definitely welcomed the fact I didn't slip out on them.

Sending you pics of board and bowl anyway, but I could definitely put these on any board, normal about the same size as yours or a bigger wider board too and I think they would work well.

Edit:  There is always the conical full 97 duro wheels too, 54mm being quite decent in size, but they also have them in bigger 56 and 58 but they might be long gone as I think they sell out very quickly.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 04:56:32 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3916 on: June 22, 2021, 08:16:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How do the slimeball 97’s slide compter to spitfire 97’s? I love the spitfires and how they slide but haven’t tried my slime balls yet and am not sure if I want to ride them or sell/trade them

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3917 on: June 23, 2021, 07:06:04 AM »

How do the slimeball 97’s slide compter to spitfire 97’s? I love the spitfires and how they slide but haven’t tried my slime balls yet and am not sure if I want to ride them or sell/trade them

I would say much the same overall - both need a little more effort as they do grip more, but also both can still slide fairly well when you get them going.

There are still slight differences in riding them, maybe I am just more a Spitfire guy than anything else, but they both do the job I wanted which was NOT to slip out on some slightly more slick surfaces (new concrete park and wooden ramp) but also were fun on the rough road too.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3918 on: June 23, 2021, 07:24:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would say much the same overall - both need a little more effort as they do grip more, but also both can still slide fairly well when you get them going.

There are still slight differences in riding them, maybe I am just more a Spitfire guy than anything else, but they both do the job I wanted which was NOT to slip out on some slightly more slick surfaces (new concrete park and wooden ramp) but also were fun on the rough road too.

Awesome, thanks!

Movies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #3919 on: June 25, 2021, 01:36:06 PM »
Just a heads up for any Canadians looking to try one of the newer indy wheel brands, it looks like The Source in Calgary has a full selection of Loopholes, NFG's and Snot Wheels in stock....

https://www.sourceboards.com/collections/wheels

con_hielo

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3920 on: June 28, 2021, 08:44:52 PM »
Just a heads up for any Canadians looking to try one of the newer indy wheel brands, it looks like The Source in Calgary has a full selection of Loopholes, NFG's and Snot Wheels in stock....

https://www.sourceboards.com/collections/wheels

Shit! Thanks!

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3921 on: June 29, 2021, 06:20:05 AM »
2 sessions in on bones 99a bones V5s  they are kind of a natural color but very light and i really like the shape. I get the plastic feel now but I kinda like it. They slide great on ledges and feel a little smoother than my f4 classics. I haven’t skated them in a park yet though. I can’t break into power slides like I could with classics. The bones stick more in that aspect or as of now they do.

Also where the bearing spacer wound fit nicely in my f4 classics on the bones it kinda just floats.  The opening is so big. Debating if I should just pull spacers or keep them in
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 09:26:42 AM by Murge »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3922 on: June 30, 2021, 07:13:45 PM »
2 sessions in on bones 99a bones V5s  they are kind of a natural color but very light and i really like the shape. I get the plastic feel now but I kinda like it. They slide great on ledges and feel a little smoother than my f4 classics. I haven’t skated them in a park yet though. I can’t break into power slides like I could with classics. The bones stick more in that aspect or as of now they do.

Also where the bearing spacer wound fit nicely in my f4 classics on the bones it kinda just floats.  The opening is so big. Debating if I should just pull spacers or keep them in

The Bones V5 is tied for best shape with the V3.

I ditched my spaces on my V3s (and my tablets) as they are so skinny, the entire bearing assembly will shift a few mm each way if you try to push them down to 'touch' the spacer correctly.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:41:12 PM by Xen »

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #3923 on: July 01, 2021, 01:37:13 PM »
Has anyone tried the bones spf 81b? I'm curious if they are useable outside smooth parks. I need some bigger wheels and the only spitfire f4s available are 54 and below.

topfrog10

« Reply #3924 on: July 01, 2021, 01:46:35 PM »
Has anyone tried the bones spf 81b? I'm curious if they are useable outside smooth parks. I need some bigger wheels and the only spitfire f4s available are 54 and below.
don't have any input on the bones but spitfire does have some 56s going around rn in the conical full and classics.
source: i just ordered some.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3925 on: July 01, 2021, 03:45:24 PM »

Had a lot when I worked at the indoor park shop and there really wasn't a whole lot of difference between the 81b and the 84b for people using them on the indoor park ramps - both were a very hard and fast wheel to skate, but maybe ever so slightly less slippery than the usual ones - exactly like a Bones wheel feels to me on most surfaces, sort of slippery on the masonite like surface but also had decent grip on the raw concrete carpark out the front which was better for me.

They are a hard fast wheel that will rattle on rough surfaces (like roads), but ride well on rough old skateparks.

NOTE: the B scale is 20 points lower than the A scale, even though there is not a measure that really goes over 100 on the A scale, they are roughly translated like this:  81b to 101a and 84b to 104a

The 80a wheels are super soft and cruiser board wheels, as per the Spitfire 80 HD (high density) but are still 80a.

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #3926 on: July 02, 2021, 12:06:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Had a lot when I worked at the indoor park shop and there really wasn't a whole lot of difference between the 81b and the 84b for people using them on the indoor park ramps - both were a very hard and fast wheel to skate, but maybe ever so slightly less slippery than the usual ones - exactly like a Bones wheel feels to me on most surfaces, sort of slippery on the masonite like surface but also had decent grip on the raw concrete carpark out the front which was better for me.

They are a hard fast wheel that will rattle on rough surfaces (like roads), but ride well on rough old skateparks.

NOTE: the B scale is 20 points lower than the A scale, even though there is not a measure that really goes over 100 on the A scale, they are roughly translated like this:  81b to 101a and 84b to 104a

The 80a wheels are super soft and cruiser board wheels, as per the Spitfire 80 HD (high density) but are still 80a.

So they do not perform as good as spitfire in the streets?In durometer those 81b should be comparable to 101a spitfire. :o

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #3927 on: July 02, 2021, 12:38:53 AM »
i have an older set of 81b spfs in the v6 shape and tbh I really don't like them that much. they really don't like to slide - in fact, they slide less than my 97a f4 conical fulls. they are hard and chattery though, and they feel kind of plasticky to me. I tried to push some slides out of them and just stuck a bunch, so I was kind of disappointed by that. maybe they would be better in a smooth or painted bowl though, as I mainly skate street. big recommend on the 97as though, I didn't like them at first but now that they're like 6 weeks old I've grown to really like them. they feel like a good in-between wheel, though I still think 99a is better for smooth surfaces and parks.
niggling

[/quote]

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3928 on: July 02, 2021, 12:40:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So they do not perform as good as spitfire in the streets?In durometer those 81b should be comparable to 101a spitfire. :o

I'd rock Spitfire 101a in the street over Bones 101a / 103a any day. Bones are unforgivingly hard on anything other than smooth skate parks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3929 on: July 02, 2021, 02:53:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What size mm are you thinking of going up to?

If you said 54mm are the biggest in Spitfire they have, but I know I have some bigger 56, 58 and 60mm wheels of a few brands and unless you just want to go crazy fast, I would probably think 54mm 99 duro Spitfires would be more fun overall than larger Bones wheels.

That is not to say medium size 54mm wheels are everything, as bigger wheels go faster, last longer, etc.