Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 787558 times)

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4440 on: December 02, 2021, 07:44:54 AM »
Curious if anyone is picky about what wheels work best for slappies? I definitely noticed that tablets suck, and it made me wonder if there's an ideal shape (hell, and size?). I'd guess big wheels roll over the edge better, but most slappy guys seem to run relatively small wheels...

I backed Spitfire Lock-Ins when you could still find them.  Square inside to lock in like a tablet, but more rounded outside to get on.  Would be nice if they brought them back.

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #4441 on: December 02, 2021, 08:05:26 AM »
With the obvious caveat that you will probably get used to anything, I back conical wheels, 100%. Going back after skating Spitfire Classics, I was able to lock into every trick much easier.

Curious...is this a ledge perspective or transition/coping perspective? Knowing and agreeing that yes you can get used to either.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #4442 on: December 02, 2021, 08:06:58 AM »
Curious if anyone is picky about what wheels work best for slappies? I definitely noticed that tablets suck, and it made me wonder if there's an ideal shape (hell, and size?). I'd guess big wheels roll over the edge better, but most slappy guys seem to run relatively small wheels...

The most difficult wheels I’ve tried to slappy with were OG Powell Peralta G Bones. They’re tall and pretty soft (93a?) with a square outer lip. Just didn’t want to climb. They’d either bounce off or stop dead. They totally ate up the shite pavement at that curb, though.  So nothing too big, soft or square.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4443 on: December 02, 2021, 05:28:22 PM »

Who's got a 50mm wide wheel they really like?  My fat ass is trying to ride this setup without risers for once and the 54s are wheel biting like mad.

There are some smaller diameter wheels with wider riding surfaces out there, but a set of old worn down wheels usually works just as well and is a lot easier to come across (for me at least) so usually anything that has been bigger and worn down to the point of retiring would be perfect in that situation.

I just put a worn down set of 54 classics on a board, now between 50 and 51, and they are still great for their size and shape.

Just an option anyway.

I feel like those people who have the technique down could do them on almost any wheel, so it is not so much which wheel works best for them, but which might help in learning them better for someone who is still getting there, to which I would usually say some bigger rounder wheels seemed to work really well a while back for me, then when I tried on another board with smaller old wheels, it was just as easy, with a bit more control.

The first ones I had were old 60mm unknown brand (but similar to the usual 99 duro) in a classic shape, and they worked really well to just smash up over this slightly lower curb that was good to get them on.

People used to do them on all sorts of wheels, hard and soft, big and bigger in the 80s, then small and smaller from the 90s on, but maybe the bigger rounder wheel is a good way to go.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #4444 on: December 03, 2021, 07:40:33 AM »
Expand Quote
With the obvious caveat that you will probably get used to anything, I back conical wheels, 100%. Going back after skating Spitfire Classics, I was able to lock into every trick much easier.
[close]

Curious...is this a ledge perspective or transition/coping perspective? Knowing and agreeing that yes you can get used to either.

Transition and curbs. I barely have any pop to skate ledges anymore.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #4445 on: December 03, 2021, 08:03:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Transition and curbs. I barely have any pop to skate ledges anymore.

Thanks! I was actually swapping my classics back to my conical fulls just as this response came in. Similar experience.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4446 on: December 03, 2021, 08:18:10 AM »
For a 9" egg cruiser with 8.75" trucks, would y'all rather run 87a 56mm OJ plain Jane Keyframes or 90a 60mm Rat Bones reissues?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4447 on: December 03, 2021, 08:54:47 AM »
For a 9" egg cruiser with 8.75" trucks, would y'all rather run 87a 56mm OJ plain Jane Keyframes or 90a 60mm Rat Bones reissues?

personally, 56 keyframes. but it also depends on what you might want to do with your egg time

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #4448 on: December 03, 2021, 02:02:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

personally, 56 keyframes. but it also depends on what you might want to do with your egg time

Mostly just use it to surf around the bike paths and skate park as a warm up before hopping on the street board. I love the aesthetic of the ridiculously big neon wheels and they match the deck, but the Keyframes are way lighter and probably more functional

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4449 on: December 03, 2021, 05:47:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mostly just use it to surf around the bike paths and skate park as a warm up before hopping on the street board. I love the aesthetic of the ridiculously big neon wheels and they match the deck, but the Keyframes are way lighter and probably more functional

i've given it some thought and i think the big wheels are the way to go lol

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4450 on: December 04, 2021, 04:06:19 PM »
Loopholes came today... This shape looks really good. Just have to wait for it to dry up!!!

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #4451 on: December 04, 2021, 04:40:21 PM »
Loopholes came today... This shape looks really good. Just have to wait for it to dry up!!!

I've been riding the same wheels for a couple weeks now. They are really good wheels. The only thing about them is the graphic comes off really easy. I was able to rub the graphic off with my finger after the first session. Which is fine because I like wheels facing in anyway. Other than that they are amazing.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4452 on: December 04, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »

Bones V5 - best wheel I've found for how I skate/slappy.

Conicals.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4453 on: December 05, 2021, 04:26:03 AM »

you're in for a tonne of fun! (I actually like that the graphics rub off tbh)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #4454 on: December 07, 2021, 11:54:43 AM »

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #4455 on: December 07, 2021, 01:07:58 PM »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4456 on: December 07, 2021, 04:15:36 PM »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4457 on: December 07, 2021, 05:23:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
BRB, buying some element wheels

Primitive & Crupie wheels FTW. Wonder what wheels Tiago actually skates.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4458 on: December 08, 2021, 06:23:47 PM »
I impulsively bought some Loophole wheels, and fuck - you guys are right. I only skated for a half an hour at most, but these are really good wheels.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4459 on: December 08, 2021, 06:56:44 PM »
I impulsively bought some Loophole wheels, and fuck - you guys are right. I only skated for a half an hour at most, but these are really good wheels.
welcome to the dark side!

In response to that meme up there: you obviously haven’t seen me powerlside on my loopholes, I’m fucking channeling Leo Valls on them shits

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

LE_rik

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4460 on: December 13, 2021, 07:08:03 AM »
Anyone having comparism between 95a NFG Square and Vees in 54mm? I need a real Allrounder for Ledges, Flips and cruisin to the Spots on the streets. Are the Squares comparable to the radial slims which everyone seems to love? Thanks a million!

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4461 on: December 13, 2021, 07:52:28 AM »
Anyone having comparism between 95a NFG Square and Vees in 54mm? I need a real Allrounder for Ledges, Flips and cruisin to the Spots on the streets. Are the Squares comparable to the radial slims which everyone seems to love? Thanks a million!

hope this helps -

Expand Quote
speaking of loophole, anyone have recent-ish experience or i guess any experience with the square shape? i've stuck to vcut, but for some reason squares have me curious
[close]

I had the 54 squares. They were good and pretty comparable to a spit radial slim. Lock in was nice, but still relatively rounded. Didn’t enjoy them as much as the teardrop shape though, they seemed stickier and a little less consistent on the slide for me.

this post says they were like tablets for them, but yknow everyone's got different experiences

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Long time 1st time... my favorite jawns have been pusher wheels but they're outta the game.. so what's good on dial tone or loopwhole?
[close]

Haven't tried Dialtone but looking at them I'm guessing they're creative. Not basing that on anything concrete, they just have similar molds and packaging to other CU wheels on the market.

Loophole on the other hand... I REALLY like them. The graphics will just slide right off if you rub them and you can definitely tell they were just made by some enterprising skaters in someones garage in SF, but they skate great. For how hard they are (55D or 103a) they're quite a smooth ride, and they're fast and shit and slide like butter. They're a little weird at first - almost too hard and slick - but after you get past the first layer of urethane they have a great combination of grip and slip. Honestly they're probably the second best wheel I've skated behind F4s. Also if you can't find the side or shape you want then check out NFG mfg which is the company that pours them, they have their own line of wheels and have a square shape that I haven't seen on loopholes yet. Don't wait around on them though, they're small batches so they tend to sell out pretty fast. They just put some new 54mm squares up - they're $40 through the site but if you have amazon prime you can order them through amazon and save the shipping cost.
[close]

100% agree. I have the square shape and they are awesome. They are pretty similar, shape wise, to F4 tablets  but with the urethane characteristics you mentioned. The point you mentioned about the feel changing after the first layer is off is true. At first mine slid like ice all over the place but after two or three sessions they started to grip better and now its a nice balance.

The V shape was a little too square for me as I power slide a lot and the wheel edges would catch too much on nooks and crannies in the street. The slightly more rounded edge of the “square” shape doesn’t seem to have that problem.

all this being said, the vees really do plow through anything so as far as cruising to the spots on the streets, they have you covered. i have them on most of my boards at this point, both 95 (love these) and the 103 which the doesn't feel awful on the roads, to me at least.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4462 on: December 13, 2021, 07:57:07 AM »

I have the harder square and v shape and the squares are more like tablets imo

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #4463 on: December 13, 2021, 09:12:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've got the 95a squares and I'd say they're somewhere in between a tablet and radial.  I was comparing them side by side to a tablet that I have and they definitely have more rounding on the edge, but not as much as a radial slim.

Get hungry on it!

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #4464 on: December 14, 2021, 07:45:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I've got the 95a squares and I'd say they're somewhere in between a tablet and radial.  I was comparing them side by side to a tablet that I have and they definitely have more rounding on the edge, but not as much as a radial slim.
Here is a side by side comparison with the wheels in question if it's at all helpful. After further comparison the NFG square and Spitfire Radial slims are really close in shape.

Get hungry on it!

LE_rik

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4465 on: December 14, 2021, 10:58:10 AM »
Wow!!! Thank You guys a lot for your helpful answers! I will give the 54 Squares a try. Really curious about the 95a formula.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #4466 on: December 14, 2021, 11:58:13 AM »
Dang, I stand corrected, looks more like radial slim!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4467 on: December 14, 2021, 06:08:55 PM »

I can feel the money loosening from my wallet, guess that will be my Xmas treat to myself.

Edit: out of stock at NFG and Loophole wheels.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4468 on: December 14, 2021, 06:58:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I can feel the money loosening from my wallet, guess that will be my Xmas treat to myself.

wait which is out of stock, my dude?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #4469 on: December 14, 2021, 08:35:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha I’m having the same struggle with those 57mm Kaders. My wife got me the 60’s for Xmas, but this scarcity thing has me wanting to get the smaller ones while they are still around