Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 788170 times)

DinnerDog425, cucktard (+ 1 Hidden) and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4560 on: February 01, 2022, 07:46:40 AM »
  I am thinking of buying some of the NFG Grim 95a PTF Crust - 54mm Vee wheels and I wanna know about how hard it is.  I am currently skating 99a 53mm Conical Full and I have to skate home every day with a backpack.  When I am skating home I feel like every crack just hits so much harder.  So I already know I want a 54mm wheel, but I don't know if 95a is too soft.  Of course I like not feeling bumps, but I also like doing tricks and I don't like that really bouncy feeling you get when doing tricks on cruiser wheels.  I like a more kind of cushion feel where it feels like I am landing on a mattress, but without the bounce you get on a cruiser wheels.  I am also getting into power slides and I don't know if the 95a wheel is too soft to power slide since I only really know how 99a wheels feel.  I am more of a beginner only really knowing tricks up to kickflips and I wanna know if this wheel is still good for doing a little bit more techy tricks, without being too big and sticky.  I also wanna know if these in general are still good if I wanna continue to learn flip trips and stuff that requires moving my board around a bit more and also dealing with rails.  Any feedback is much apricated.  Thank You!!!!

They basically take some of the edge off of crust but still feel like a street wheel. Wheels is fine for tech stuff but isn’t a good power slide wheel unless you have decent technique. Stick a bit on ledges for slide tricks for me. I think the F4 97a classic shape might be better for what you want. They take the edge off crust a bit, slide well, and you can do tech stuff just fine.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 08:37:08 AM by Sundaynuggets »

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4561 on: February 01, 2022, 08:02:57 AM »
Expand Quote
  I am thinking of buying some of the NFG Grim 95a PTF Crust - 54mm Vee wheels and I wanna know about how hard it is.  I am currently skating 99a 53mm Conical Full and I have to skate home every day with a backpack.  When I am skating home I feel like every crack just hits so much harder.  So I already know I want a 54mm wheel, but I don't know if 95a is too soft.  Of course I like not feeling bumps, but I also like doing tricks and I don't like that really bouncy feeling you get when doing tricks on cruiser wheels.  I like a more kind of cushion feel where it feels like I am landing on a mattress, but without the bounce you get on a cruiser wheels.  I am also getting into power slides and I don't know if the 95a wheel is too soft to power slide since I only really know how 99a wheels feel.  I am more of a beginner only really knowing tricks up to kickflips and I wanna know if this wheel is still good for doing a little bit more techy tricks, without being too big and sticky.  I also wanna know if these in general are still good if I wanna continue to learn flip trips and stuff that requires moving my board around a bit more and also dealing with rails.  Any feedback is much apricated.  Thank You!!!!
[close]

They basically take some of the edge off of crust but still feel like a street wheel. Wheels is fine for techno stuff but isn’t a good power slide wheel unless you have decent technique. Stick a bit on ledges for slide tricks for me. I think the F4 97a classic shape might be better for what you want. They take the edge off crust a bit, slide well, and you can do techno stuff just fine.

95a square might be a good middle ground if the itch to try nfg is really getting to someone, but yeah 95 vee's can stick a bit on ledges depending on the situation vs square i found to be a bit smoother in that regard. might also help the power slides b/c of the smaller contact surface ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4562 on: February 01, 2022, 08:18:26 AM »
NFG V's are pretty close to Spitfire OG Classic shape, so a real sharp, bite-y corner. I can't speak to the feel as I haven't seen dry pavement since the middle of december, so I haven't tested mine.  Also, bigger rolls over shit better than softer, but size preferance is highly individual. 

Shameless plug:  I've got some 53mm slimeballs & 54mm conical full spitfire 97a wheels over in the classifieds.

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 196
« Reply #4563 on: February 01, 2022, 10:19:19 AM »
What's up with the new quasi protothane wheels?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4564 on: February 01, 2022, 12:03:48 PM »

The 95A formula is great for what you’re describing, but I would consider the squares if you’re trying to learn flip tricks and stuff. I’ve ridden them at a concrete park here and there and I think they even slide and bark better than expected.

con_hielo

• Rep: 29
« Reply #4565 on: February 01, 2022, 03:58:54 PM »

Anyone know what wheels are these? Can't say if they're 56 or 58mm conical full and 97a or 99a ahah.

P.S. The heel drag on the manny ender ( ''0_0)

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #4566 on: February 01, 2022, 04:13:48 PM »

Anyone know what wheels are these? Can't say if they're 56 or 58mm conical full and 97a or 99a ahah.

I would agree that they are a conical full, probably a 56. also 99d would be a typical hardness for them if they are F4 conical fulls like I am assuming

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4567 on: February 02, 2022, 11:57:44 AM »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1316
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4568 on: February 02, 2022, 02:34:43 PM »
Came here to ask the same thing. Using the B scale too so they're 83B. Creative or nah?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #4569 on: February 02, 2022, 05:28:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Came here to ask the same thing. Using the B scale too so they're 83B. Creative or nah?
This is what I was thinking too. They are the super white color that creative use so I wouldn't be surprised. I guess time will tell.

chinotto

• Rep: 12
    • Board Madness avatar image
« Reply #4570 on: February 02, 2022, 06:48:08 PM »
Anyone tried ricta crystal cores 95a?

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4571 on: February 03, 2022, 05:28:13 AM »
Are Waywards creative? Thinking of getting some sml or Dial Tone but I hated the Waywards so much I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4572 on: February 03, 2022, 10:13:36 AM »
Are Waywards creative? Thinking of getting some sml or Dial Tone but I hated the Waywards so much I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money.

I'm going to say no, only due to when  I rode them, they felt nothing like the generic, non-sliding, overly white and grippy thane that usually comes out of there..they actually feel pretty close to F4s, like 85% of the way there..

I found nothing wrong with them other than feeling a little slow in a smooth park setting, but I'm one of those freaks that likes the hardest wheel possible on smooth concrete.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4573 on: February 03, 2022, 11:34:52 AM »
Quasi claims they “stole the formul” whatever that means. I’m not sure why they would get into the whee game if they were just using Creative. No real incentive since most of their pros are sponsored by Spitfire and would be going to an inferior product.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4574 on: February 03, 2022, 07:56:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm going to say no, only due to when  I rode them, they felt nothing like the generic, non-sliding, overly white and grippy thane that usually comes out of there..they actually feel pretty close to F4s, like 85% of the way there..

I found nothing wrong with them other than feeling a little slow in a smooth park setting, but I'm one of those freaks that likes the hardest wheel possible on smooth concrete.

Hitting the search with WAYWARD in the box comes up with some interesting info, as well as conversations from us and many others.

@onkalo   Curious as to why you didn't want / like the Wayward wheels?

I always come back to the "They are not Spitfire or Bones..." so everything else is put in the "other" category for me, even though I have a lot of different brands of wheels still set up on boards, but was there anything specific about your experience with them?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4575 on: February 03, 2022, 10:14:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hitting the search with WAYWARD in the box comes up with some interesting info, as well as conversations from us and many others.

I always come back to the "They are not Spitfire or Bones..." so everything else is put in the "other" category for me, even though I have a lot of different brands of wheels still set up on boards, but was there anything specific about your experience with them?

I didn’t like them because they felt really slow, super hard and they didn’t slide. Then I did a high speed 2 meters long powerslide and they flatted. I had 101a funnel cut 50mm’s. They were some of the older ones and I bought them off discount. Now I’m on Bones 100’s and they feel way better (than the Waywards), and I still like them after skating F4’s.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4576 on: February 04, 2022, 03:20:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I didn’t like them because they felt really slow, super hard and they didn’t slide. Then I did a high speed 2 meters long powerslide and they flatted. I had 101a funnel cut 50mm’s. They were some of the older ones and I bought them off discount. Now I’m on Bones 100’s and they feel way better (than the Waywards), and I still like them after skating F4’s.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes now you mention the lack of slide factor, I think I recall them feeling very sticky even though they were a hard wheel.

So many people will ride Bones or Spitfire but not touch anything else any more, so it is just one of those things.

I guess for those that have access to them, they often get NFG / Loophole wheels too, just to throw another one in the mix.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #4577 on: February 05, 2022, 02:15:55 PM »
lowkey bones 100s be hitting on smooth asphalt/LA school kinda ground. They dont really flatspot unless ur on super sandpapery surfaces and they feel really smooth in the wider shapes (light-footed powersliding feels kinda like sliding around on ice cubes in my experience, not really like spitfire where it barks a little bit)

they do definitely feel slower in the smaller sizes and they only make up till 55mm so

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4578 on: February 05, 2022, 06:12:16 PM »
Do Loopholes still have the vanity sizing where they measure smaller? Considering a set and no shops have them in stock and last time my 52 were like 50.4 outta the box.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4579 on: February 06, 2022, 02:31:09 AM »
Do Loopholes still have the vanity sizing where they measure smaller? Considering a set and no shops have them in stock and last time my 52 were like 50.4 outta the box.

I think people on here (or even the person looking after their instagram account) had said their previous quality control issues had been rectified and things were looking a lot more professional now, in so many words.

Not sure if they still have the special sale on that was shown on the sale thread and elsewhere, but it would be a good time to get them, if you were within the US or at least within a reasonable shipping distance.

Still yet to see or try any, but I have way too many other wheels and being in AU, I cannot justify paying close to AU RRP for something that I really don't need.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4580 on: February 06, 2022, 06:30:55 AM »

got some 54s over the holidays that are smaller than some worn down F4 54s I have but I did not measure properly.

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #4581 on: February 06, 2022, 06:52:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

had wayward once and tried to speed check at the park and almost ate shit cause they didn't let me power slide. took em right off and gave em to a little local for free.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #4582 on: February 06, 2022, 03:29:31 PM »
this might be more of a bearing than a wheel question, but oh well .

has anyone else had bearings just fall out of the wheel? not like blowing out when it falls apart, just being super loose and going in/out with no effort at all.
it just started happening to me yesterday, i'm thinking it might be a problem with my wheel size as they're getting to <50mm. it was fairly warm (25c) yesterday if that helps.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

jrb32

• Rep: -2
« Reply #4583 on: February 06, 2022, 03:34:11 PM »
Anyone know any skinny/slim wheels similar to the bones v3 in a 50-51mm? Been using the v3 shape for years now, but they havent been making any 101-103a wheels the last year or so in 50mm Only 99a. The satori super slim wheels look similar, also interested in the crupie skinny wheels might be the same width, cant find any specs on them though for widths. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4584 on: February 06, 2022, 04:24:40 PM »
this might be more of a bearing than a wheel question, but oh well .

has anyone else had bearings just fall out of the wheel? not like blowing out when it falls apart, just being super loose and going in/out with no effort at all.
it just started happening to me yesterday, i'm thinking it might be a problem with my wheel size as they're getting to <50mm. it was fairly warm (25c) yesterday if that helps.

Definitely a wheel issue, not a bearing issue.

Some wheels do tend to blow out or loosen up too much in the bearing seats, while others are so tight it is an absolute pain to get bearings in or out, even with lube.

If bearings are coming loose, you can either try to keep washers, bearing spacers and everything almost as tight as they can be which should hold your wheels in a little better, or if it is bugging you too much, replace the wheels.  Some people have tried to wedge things in there with the bearings, but that often doesn't work as the wheels are urethane (like rubber) and will change shape as pushed, so jamming something else in there will only widen out the bearing seat more.

I had a set that after doing something that put pressure on the wheel, like a smith grind, the bearings would seem to stop spinning, so after each run I had to push the wheel back onto the bearings to make sure it was rolling smoothly again.  That got old very quickly, so as I wasn't about to NOT do certain tricks, I swapped the wheels out.

If it is just one wheel and keeps happening in a certain position or as I had, with certain tricks, you could rotate the wheels to see if that helps too, but most likely when something like this happens, there is not a whole lot you can do about it.

Having some crusty old rusted outers on one set of bearings did help with one set of wheels like that, as the rust expanded and stayed in the wheel, but I would not be creating a rusty bearing situation just to have the wheel sit better on the bearings.

deedohh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4585 on: February 06, 2022, 08:35:06 PM »
I decided to get some of the spitfire 97a wheels.  I want to get 56mm, but I have no idea if they are too big.  I basically only skate street and want to know if 56mm may be too big.  I currently ride 53mm and think they are too small.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4586 on: February 06, 2022, 09:43:07 PM »
I decided to get some of the spitfire 97a wheels.  I want to get 56mm, but I have no idea if they are too big.  I basically only skate street and want to know if 56mm may be too big.  I currently ride 53mm and think they are too small.
56 Classics are 👌

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4587 on: February 06, 2022, 09:49:50 PM »
58s are big, 56s are a tonne of fun!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #4588 on: February 06, 2022, 10:24:10 PM »
Anyone else find that conical-edged wheels around 54 and above tend to "dig into" ledges more on pinchy tricks and cause you to stop grinding? (really feelin at 55 and above)

Feel like these og classics give me more of a pitch than a pinch when i try to lock in on certain shitty ledges.

Does anyone feel that 55-56mm classics/radials grind noticeably faster/smoother on hella sharp concrete-topped ledges?

But why tho does it really make that much of a difference?

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4589 on: February 07, 2022, 12:09:42 PM »

NFG 56mm Vee factory seconds. Measures consistently 55mm on all sides of each on low quality calipers. Shape compared to a 56mm Spit conical full. Makes ya wonder if other manufacturers melt down the duds to reuse or they go to a landfill.

I’ve used a dremel for wheel wells on a few boards and it sucks every time. Messy, loud, weird angles, takes 10 of the disposable sander wheels cuz they blow out so quick. Cheap woodcarving chisel kit from Harbor Freight and a hammer is way better.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 02:53:07 PM by braksabbath »