Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 788657 times)

minilogoflow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4890 on: April 22, 2022, 01:22:02 PM »
Might be an unnecessary question but are these new DTF replacements gonna be a Powell wheel or a Bones wheel? Either way, I'm definitely picking up a set.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4891 on: April 22, 2022, 01:25:37 PM »
Might be an unnecessary question but are these new DTF replacements gonna be a Powell wheel or a Bones wheel? Either way, I'm definitely picking up a set.

One would think Bones marketing would net better results.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4893 on: April 22, 2022, 03:47:48 PM »
Just as an fyi skateone already makes a 97a and 90a under Powell in their p5 shape. 

https://www.skateone.com/powell-peralta-ripper-skateboard-wheels-54mm-97a-4pk?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=Search&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsdqB0MCo9wIVReHICh2JYgxYEAQYASABEgKcO_D_BwE

https://www.skateone.com/powell-peralta-ray-rodriguez-skull-and-sword-skateboard-wheels-58mm-90a-4pk

Ah cool thanks for the info. Do you happen to know what "formula" the 97a Rippers are?? Is it STF, SPF, etc?

I've got a pair of Bones STF 99a V5, and I'm shocked by how well they handle crusty streets for a hard 99a wheel. It feels like a 97a in terms of how it handles streets, but a 99a in terms of "feel" and trick response. It doesn't have that soft muted "bouncy" feeling 97a and under can have. Feels unmistakably like a street/trick wheel, but just handles shitty streets better. They are also feel faster than Spitfire F4 99a.

However, their slide is so hard to initiate. I actually had a scary slip out while doing a BS Powerslide where they just went full ice cube out of nowhere. It was a little bit wet out, but the part of the street I was skating was mostly dry. Maybe it was a fluke, but its got me a little shook about going hard on those wheels. Hard to initiate a slide, and then once they do they might slip out? Seems like a bad combo.

Its making me think a 98a STF could have some real potential if they just sort of give up on slideability and focus on a hard/fast trick wheel that tackles crust. Just push it right to the edge of keeping it a hard trick wheel, and see how much crust they can make a wheel like that handle before becoming a bouncy/muted wheel. Maybe 99a IS that limit though.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 03:56:16 PM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4894 on: April 24, 2022, 01:45:16 PM »
Today I set up some sml AG formula 53mm OG wides (so Creative Urethane ones I assume?) and I’m really impressed. They feel like something between Spitfire classics and 101a f4’s, maybe like 101a Spit classics. They slide well, aren’t too hard like Bones can sometimes feel and don’t lose speed too fast. I was little bit afraid of trying other wheels than Spitfire and Bones because I had so bad experience with Waywards, but now I could say that I can ride smaller wheel brand wheels again. If you want trying something new, I can recommend these.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4895 on: April 24, 2022, 11:39:14 PM »
my experience with the satoris has been a rollercoaster. (conical 101a 53mm)

-super fast on all ground (that i rode them on)
-they slide yet also grip really well on smooth surfaces, and while they still feel good enough on street terrain they are LOUD.
-long slides, i had no problems with breaking them into a powerslide or a revert yet they never slid out once.
-lockin is nothing special, no discernible difference for me between bones sidecuts
-they flatspotted upon getting stopped by a pebble. bombing a hill removed the majority of the flat and its detriments, but there's still a clunky sound when i ride them.

overall i'd recommend them if you have some money to burn, or if you skate a lot of glass-smooth parks. i don't skate much transition, but they would likely be worthwhile for one of those setups due to the notable speed.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4896 on: April 25, 2022, 12:46:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
New Powell / Bones softer formula coming out. 

On the SkateOne forum about 2 years ago they sent out a couple demo sets of wheels that were to replace the DTF (Ditch Tech Formula) and these may be those.  The people that reviewed them raved. 

https://www.skateone.com/forum/discussion/comment/48037#Comment_48037

Expand Quote
I got to test ride the prototype DTF's. Here's the write-up I did for Rob after a few weeks. Warning - LONG read.

Hey Rob,

I never got to skate the actual gnarly concrete drainage ditch, but I don't know when I will because it needs to be cleaned up badly. I only skated it once, with spitfire f4 99's, and in the confined space it was really hard to get speed. I only mention it because after skating these wheels in some other places, I bet they'd have performed beautifully. I'll tell you where I did skate and the SPEED, GRIP, SLIDE, FEEL and WEAR.

1. The street (the real street)

SPEED: I cannot commute around my town with regular street wheels (99a and harder) because I will rattle to a stop. I actually lose speed going downhill half the time. Getting from one place to another means constantly working against this, so there's way more pushing than gliding. New asphalt is the exception and all the spots are rough asphalt or pavement. Skating the harder wheels is just too unpleasant and difficult for me to want to do it much, and the ML 90a's were much faster but would deform a bit when sticking something hard. I thought that with craggy streets there was no good compromise, but these wheels are. They were faster everywhere on the street than any of hard wheels AND the 90a Mini Logos of about the same size. I measured this using an inertia test. I would start at the top of a stretch and just roll, and then see how far I went up the opposite uphill side. The DTF's definitely felt faster, took me way further up the other side than the Bones STFs I have on another board, and also further than the 90a ML's (though not as far). They are fast and I would pick these over any other wheel for "real" street skating because nothing is faster. The only thing that would probably beat them downhill are my large 85a Bombers on my big cruiser board, and I don't have the guts to go that fast these days anyway.

GRIP: Grip is awesome. I have slid out hanging hard turns on harder wheels before, and these stuck. I could feel that they were sticking (more on that below) and so I was able to lean into turns harder while going faster with much greater confidence. I never lost it and they never squirreled out from under me. I have a small quarter pipe surfaced with masonite and these definitely gripped better than my hard wheels.

SLIDE: I'm not a slidey skater. For power slides could make my back wheels break loose on asphalt but not on smooth concrete. To me this is good, because I've slid out and eaten shit on hard turns before. I'm sure others could get real slides out of them. They still slid well enough for me to scoot into the direction I wanted to be going when I landed 180's and I could still do 180 slides.

FEEL: This is where I feel like I sound like I'm overselling these. These wheels feel great. They stick and stay smooth like a softer wheel on rougher terrain, but they don't deform when landing tricks (or maybe I just don't land that hard...I weigh 150 lbs and am not that aggressive). I've had 97a wheels that felt A LOT harder than these and rode like rocks, but big cruiser 85a Bombers and the 90a Mini Logos sacrifice some trick performance for their ride. This is the most ideal "real street" wheel I've ever encountered. These are staying on my street board and I'll never put hard wheels back on it except for the park.

WEAR: Honestly, no wear to speak of. I could see a little streaking in them when I did slides, but these were never flat spots. I expect this from Bones wheels, though.

2. The park (a pretty smooth park)

SPEED: This is where this wheel surprised me the most. They were REALLY NOT SLOW AT ALL. Was it slower than my 84b SPF's? Yeah, but the difference was not enough to put me off. I pretty much only skate 84b SPF's at the park, especially in the bowls, but...

GRIP: ...the trade-off in grip in the bowl was WAY positive. I could tell pumping down transitions that I was on a slower wheel, but after a little initial adjustment I skated them without issue. They didn't feel "sticky" like 90a or 85a wheels do. In a big smooth bowl those things can feel like rolling on glue traps. These were still fast and I didn't spend any time at all at the park wishing I had my harder wheels. The funny part is that I actually WENT HIGHER with more confidence in the bowl because of the additional grip. I slashed the highest parts of the bowls in these that I've yet to even touch with my SPF's despite feeling like I wasn't going quite as fast. I'm still kind of coming to terms with this and comparing; would I rather have a pair of these in the bowl than my SPF's?

SLIDE: Never really got these to break into a powerslide at the park, but that's really not my bag. They slid just fine on the coping. Feebles and little "scoots" in the concrete mini ramp were just as easy as with hard wheels.

FEEL: They are not quite as fast, but they don't feel like a squishy or sticky wheel at the park. If I were one who skates to the park to skate the park, it'd be these wheels all the way.

WEAR: Again, nothing noticeable. I only skated maybe four sessions with them, but I would expect these to last as long as other Bones wheels.

Overall...I'd say 9.5 out of 10. it's hard not to give these a 10 because they're not optimal for everything, but they are the most optimal across all categories. Before these wheels there was really no street wheel that I'd take to most of the spots in my town, or that I would commute with. These wheels are IT for that. For parks I'll still use my SPF's, but since I was climbing higher on these I'm gonna continue to skate these there too.

I never skated the old Ditchtech Formula wheels, but given how versatile these wheels are I'd say that's a bit of a misnomer. This is really a great general street wheel that can still be used at the park. But again, I'm a little guy. A bigger person and/or someone doing big stuff and sticking it hard might not be as enamored as I am with them for street use.

I am gonna clean out the growth and trash and try to skate that ditch eventually.
[close]
[close]

I watched some nka youtube video at least 2-3 years ago and && was already talking about how much he loves these wheels. Seems like he's been on them for quite some time. Definitely gonna try them out
[close]

There was another video of an 'end user' testing them out ages ago/skating some really shoddy bank terrain, I know it's floating around this forum.

EDIT: Here it is

OK, these posts are getting me hyped. I love Bones 103a so much, and I want them to come through with a solid softer wheel. The STF 99a has some major upsides to it, but the awful slide tendencies are really frustrating and kind of a dealbreaker.

If they can pull off a wheel that handles crust and slides, I will be a happy camper.

Can anyone find any other videos of someone skating these wheels?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 01:26:41 AM by FuzzGNU »

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #4897 on: April 26, 2022, 05:27:50 AM »
found a set of gold wheels in my room. idk how these are but theyre probably ass

https://imgur.com/a/lBj531y

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4898 on: April 26, 2022, 05:43:53 AM »
found a set of gold wheels in my room. idk how these are but theyre probably ass

They usually came on the completes, which amount to price point setups, but they still worked well enough.

Better than nothing, or great to make some kid (or anyone) happy who has not much else to skate.

Worlds apart from the 60mm Radial Fulls though, which I would happily buy in any size, or swap for brand new wheels in any other size or shape but I am in AU so unless you are also "Down Under" shipping would be ridiculous.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4899 on: April 26, 2022, 06:09:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They usually came on the completes, which amount to price point setups, but they still worked well enough.

Better than nothing, or great to make some kid (or anyone) happy who has not much else to skate.

Worlds apart from the 60mm Radial Fulls though, which I would happily buy in any size, or swap for brand new wheels in any other size or shape but I am in AU so unless you are also "Down Under" shipping would be ridiculous.

Man I'm someone who likes bigger/wider wheels, but even my 56mm Radial Fulls feel slightly too big.

Are you really doing tricks on the 60mm version?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4900 on: April 26, 2022, 06:23:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Man I'm someone who likes bigger/wider wheels, but even my 56mm Radial Fulls feel slightly too big.

Are you really doing tricks on the 60mm version?

I have more than a few setups with different things in mind, so that set of 60mm or so would be on a "go fast" board, meaning a board I can still skate normally (not a cruiser setup) but would be more for doing laps around skateparks and bowls than anything else, so a fast fifty here or a manual round the platform there kind of thing.

Not quite or should I say at all the same as Kader or T-Funk or some of those guys on the 60mm wheels though.

Other more normal boards have wheels worn down to 50mm or smaller, which are more the carpark curb mess around type of setup, along with a few in between with varying sizes of wheels, if that makes sense?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #4901 on: April 27, 2022, 01:33:47 PM »
Anyone ever had Oj Keyframes and noticed a strange vibration on smooth ground ?
Can't figure out where it comes from .
They are new so maybe it will go away after a few hours.
At least i hope so.
I use 2 speedrings on the inside and one on the outside.
With fresh cleaned and oiled Bones Swiss.
It's a more high frequency vibration that feels distracting.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

qweenmess

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4902 on: April 27, 2022, 04:38:44 PM »
I'm looking for 58mm 99a wheels, so far I'm considering:

OJ Elite Hardline
Spitfire Radial Fulls
Snot Team Conicals

Anyone got experience with these? Any suggestions?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4903 on: April 27, 2022, 04:55:47 PM »

OJ Elite Hardline
Spitfire Radial Fulls
Snot Team Conicals

Radial Fulls are huge. Very wide and heavy, even at 56mm. Mine have some quality control issues and chunking as well. If you're actually popping ollies doing street skating and doing anything tech, I would be hesitant to go all the way up to 58mm on those. I did a whole review of them in the Spitfire F4 thread. I was disappointing, but they have their pluses. My main issue is that despite their size and heft, they still struggle with crusty streets: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3781571#msg3781571

I can't speak to the Hardlines, but their OJ Elite 101a Minicombos were surprisingly good, but I would only grab them if they're on a sale, personally. Can't speak to their 99a Hardlines. They definitely feel a half-step below Bones/Spitfire in quality, but are in the running for sure. If its full price, I say wait until they are on sale.

Bones has 56mm Conical Fulls (V6 Widecut as they call it) in 99a. I have very mixed feelings on their 99a though. They are faster than F4 99a, and tackle crust better too... but their slide is very suspect. I've heard their previous version of 99a that were bright white slid really well, but I never got to try them. They discontinued those and replaced it with a "natural" color, and they stick pretty bad. The good news is Bones wheels go on sale for super cheap. I got some Bones STF for like $21 each from Tactics a couple months back because they were on clearance and they had a % off coupon that worked on clearance items. Could be a cheap experiment next time there is a sale.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4904 on: April 27, 2022, 05:11:18 PM »
Expand Quote

OJ Elite Hardline
Spitfire Radial Fulls
Snot Team Conicals

[close]

Radial Fulls are huge. Very wide and heavy, even at 56mm. Mine have some quality control issues and chunking as well. If you're actually popping ollies doing street skating and doing anything tech, I would be hesitant to go all the way up to 58mm on those. I did a whole review of them in the Spitfire F4 thread. I was disappointing, but they have their pluses. My main issue is that despite their size and heft, they still struggle with crusty streets: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3781571#msg3781571

I can't speak to the Hardlines, but their OJ Elite 101a Minicombos were surprisingly good, but I would only grab them if they're on a sale, personally. Can't speak to their 99a Hardlines. They definitely feel a half-step below Bones/Spitfire in quality, but are in the running for sure. If its full price, I say wait until they are on sale.

Bones has 56mm Conical Fulls (V6 Widecut as they call it) in 99a. I have very mixed feelings on their 99a though. They are faster than F4 99a, and tackle crust better too... but their slide is very suspect. I've heard their previous version of 99a that were bright white slid really well, but I never got to try them. They discontinued those and replaced it with a "natural" color, and they stick pretty bad. The good news is Bones wheels go on sale for super cheap. I got some Bones STF for like $21 each from Tactics a couple months back because they were on clearance and they had a % off coupon that worked on clearance items. Could be a cheap experiment next time there is a sale.

I've been skating OJ Elite 101a hardlines for the past few days....I forgot how fast/hard (they rattle you like SPFs on street do) they were but also how FUCKING GRIPPY...dropping to 99a....I dunno man..I'd only ever skate these in a park setting (and a slippery one at that), which is why I shelved them, again.

When it comes to 99a, Spitfire is the way to go. As noted Radial Fulls are big boys, if you don't need that much hesh, just grab radials or conicals.

I'm a broken record, but the first wave of Bones EZ 99a streets were fucking sick (the white ones, not those dirty birds to compete with spitatos) they slide waaaaaay better than the current 99a and dare I say I'd pick them over spits 99a as they handled rough shit just a tad better but without losing anything.

I'm back on 103a STFs full time now, the V5 just work for me.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4905 on: April 27, 2022, 05:20:54 PM »
At least i hope so.

interesting, like rough ground or like a weird steady hum vibration?

qweenmess

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4906 on: April 27, 2022, 06:31:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

OJ Elite Hardline
Spitfire Radial Fulls
Snot Team Conicals

[close]

[close]

I've been skating OJ Elite 101a hardlines for the past few days....I forgot how fast/hard (they rattle you like SPFs on street do) they were but also how FUCKING GRIPPY...dropping to 99a....I dunno man..I'd only ever skate these in a park setting (and a slippery one at that), which is why I shelved them, again.

When it comes to 99a, Spitfire is the way to go. As noted Radial Fulls are big boys, if you don't need that much hesh, just grab radials or conicals.

I'm a broken record, but the first wave of Bones EZ 99a streets were fucking sick (the white ones, not those dirty birds to compete with spitatos) they slide waaaaaay better than the current 99a and dare I say I'd pick them over spits 99a as they handled rough shit just a tad better but without losing anything.

I found the 99a Elite Hardlines in 58mm for sale so I pulled the trigger, I'll give a little review once I've worn them in.

I'm currently riding 92a ricta clouds at 56mm and they're nice but I wanted something harder that will still ride smooth, so I'm excited for these to get here and to try something new.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4907 on: April 27, 2022, 06:49:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

OJ Elite Hardline
Spitfire Radial Fulls
Snot Team Conicals

[close]

[close]

[close]

I found the 99a Elite Hardlines in 58mm for sale so I pulled the trigger, I'll give a little review once I've worn them in.

I'm currently riding 92a ricta clouds at 56mm and they're nice but I wanted something harder that will still ride smooth, so I'm excited for these to get here and to try something new.

If you are bumping up from 92s you'll do fine, just don't expect to powerslide like you are riding STFs =D OJ Elites are seriously underrated and provide more grip than either Spit or STFs, and as I mentioned, harder and faster too...my issue with them is for blunt/tail/nose slides or reverts, they have to be pushed hard at speed to match the other two...it's like night and day.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4908 on: April 27, 2022, 07:06:41 PM »
I actually put my Bones STF 99a (Natural Color) V5s 55mm on my main board to see if they would feel any better than on my rainboard.

The main word I would use to describe them is DANGEROUS. They do NOT initiate a slide easily. I have to really crank my hips and put some weight behind them to initiate even the smallest slide. They're harder to get to slide than F4 97a BUT the MAIN issue with the STF 99a is that once they start to slide, they can easily become ICE CUBES. I'm talking, hydroplaning with no traction.

Its like when people do those ghost-riding boomerang tricks with the board rotating along the ground in front of them... except ALL of your weight is on the board-- RELYING on the board... but the board has no traction to support you.

The margin of error between "no slide" and "no traction" is so insanely narrow. I really can't recommend these wheels for that reason alone. Even reverts are noticeably sticky and require more effort. Which of course when it comes to powerslides, this extra muscle you put into it makes that small margin of error very easy to blast past.

For comparison, F4 97a's grip is consistent. It sucks for sliding, but it consistently sucks for sliding in a reliable way that is never overtly dangerous. For the STF 99a, It feels like I have to put so much extra effort into overcompensating, even for something as simple as a revert. Even just popping 180s, there is less margin for error on the rotation because they stick when you land.

I wish the slide wasn't so bad, because as Xen said, they handle rough stuff better than F4 99a without feeling soft/bouncy like F4 97a. That's a pretty notable achievement, and makes me want Bones to give this formula another overhaul. In general, they are noticeably faster than F4 99a too (something Bones wheels don't get enough credit for).

As for the shape, these V5 wheels have such a narrow contact area compared to everything else I skate. It felt like my board was "on its tip toes". People like to compare Bones wheels to Spitfire wheels by width, rather than contact patch, and I really discourage people from doing that. These things are really narrow at 16.5mm of contact which is equal to Spitfire's absolute thinnest wheel at this size (Classic). Conicals at this diameter are about 20.2mm in contact.

I might give the 56mm V6 a try if I can find those for for $20, but for now, I think I'm putting these on the shelf.

+ Rolls faster than F4 99a.
+ Handles rough streets *much* better than F4 99a, but not quite as well as F4 97a.
+ Feels like a hard responsive trick wheel without the slightly bouncy/muted feel F4 97a have.
+/- Have a deeper muted sound compared to F4 99a and STF 103a.
- Extremely sticky. Hard to initiate even small slides. Reverts require more effort.
- Completely lose traction easily. The margin between the force required for initiation and slip-out is very narrow.
- Less margin of error for board orientation when landing due to stickiness.

6.5/10. I can't say I recommend these. I love everything about this formula except the slide, but the slide is really THAT BAD.

If you're a skate nerd (I use the term lovingly) they are a unique wheel worth checking out on clearance just for curiosity sake: due to being a hard and fast 99a wheel they can handles rough stuff more closely to a 97a wheel. But otherwise, I would say stay away and recommend the (unexciting but useful) F4 97a for a wheel that handles crust.

I wish I got to try the white 99a Easy Streets, because those sound right up my alley. Until then, I guess I just have to wait for the "Experimental Formula" that Bones/Powell-Peralta have been teasing for years now.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 07:17:59 PM by FuzzGNU »

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #4909 on: April 28, 2022, 12:15:03 AM »
Expand Quote
At least i hope so.
[close]

interesting, like rough ground or like a weird steady hum vibration?
More like a steady hum , kind of. In a high frequency.  Hard to explain in english.
But it vibrates into my feed like someone puts a massage gun under your shoe sole. And you can hear it. A high tone.
It's weird and I hope it goes away.
I hoped people say it's normal and they need to break in.
We will see.
Other than that, those weels are great. I tried them om the crust hill I use to bomb with my mini juice wheels and they hold up pretty well. After that I pushed to the park to try them out on transition and ledges and you can make them work there too. Flip tricks also are doable.
A really nice wheel so far. Now all they have to do is stop vibrating..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

pops

• Rep: 238
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4910 on: May 04, 2022, 09:56:31 AM »
What is the difference between Oj super juice vs hot juice? Both 60mm and 78a.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4911 on: May 04, 2022, 11:16:40 AM »

someone mentioned the super is a newer formula and less prone to chunking etc i wanna say?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4912 on: May 04, 2022, 11:37:45 AM »
Yeah, the mold and/or lathing/shaping is definitely different, maybe a newer core design on the Super Juice, too? Not sure about the urethane.

Hot juice are like a true vintage shape. Perfectly straight, sharp, 90° cut on the inside, molded “OJ III” in the cone, and a skinny little lip.

If I had to describe a difference in ride, I think Hot Juice feel softer because of how that thinner lip grips the crust (especially when turning/carving), and I think Super Juice feel a little more rigid and fast.

pops

• Rep: 238
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4913 on: May 04, 2022, 12:08:01 PM »
Yeah, the mold and/or lathing/shaping is definitely different, maybe a newer core design on the Super Juice, too? Not sure about the urethane.

Hot juice are like a true vintage shape. Perfectly straight, sharp, 90° cut on the inside, molded “OJ III” in the cone, and a skinny little lip.

If I had to describe a difference in ride, I think Hot Juice feel softer because of how that thinner lip grips the crust (especially when turning/carving), and I think Super Juice feel a little more rigid and fast.
Expand Quote
[close]

someone mentioned the super is a newer formula and less prone to chunking etc i wanna say?

Thanks to both of you. I think I'm leaning more towards the Super Juices then.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #4914 on: May 04, 2022, 12:55:26 PM »

They both ride the same but Super Juices are the updated design where it doesn't chip so easily, where as the Hot Juice is an old design that'd super prone to chipping. There's zero reason to get Hot Juices unless you're trying to replicate a 70's style board.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4915 on: May 05, 2022, 07:31:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They both ride the same but Super Juices are the updated design where it doesn't chip so easily, where as the Hot Juice is an old design that'd super prone to chipping. There's zero reason to get Hot Juices unless you're trying to replicate a 70's style board.

Yeah, don't get the Hot Juices, I accidentaly took off a huge chunk with a bailed heelflip.
IG: @flowterspace

sk8n hugon

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4916 on: May 05, 2022, 10:30:37 PM »
Not sure if it’s common knowledge and just new to me, but the professor posted on instagram about riding the new bones wheels. 93a! Kinda surprised they’re going that soft. I’ll still try them though.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4917 on: May 07, 2022, 08:49:06 AM »
Can anyone anecdotally speak to how much the width of a wheel's contact patch affects speed? I know the wisdom is that thinner wheels go faster due to less friction, but how noticeable have you all found that it is?

I like wider wheels keeping stable while riding fast and maintaining speed through rough streets... but I'm wondering how much speed I am missing out on by going so wide.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4918 on: May 07, 2022, 09:08:45 AM »
It depends on the surface among other factors. Narrower wheels should go faster on perfect smooth ground. Wider wheels eat up rough ground  more efficiently... if everything else about the wheel is the same (diameter, durometer etc.)

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4919 on: May 07, 2022, 12:06:47 PM »
Not sure if it’s common knowledge and just new to me, but the professor posted on instagram about riding the new bones wheels. 93a! Kinda surprised they’re going that soft. I’ll still try them though.

I've seen the new Bones/PP formula referred to as SSF so I will call it that.

I've gotten to ride the SSF 97a a bunch. They feel almost exactly like a 101-103a wheel. They feel unmistakably harder than F4 99a.

They have the ground-feel of a 103a wheel in pretty much every way, but they don't just grind to a halt on rough streets. You know how your feet vibrate on really rough streets with 101a+ wheels? These still do that, except you maintain your speed better while its doing that? Its weird, it took me a while to realize that despite the vibration, I wasn't slowing down as much as the vibrations were communicating to me that I should be?

The SSF 97a slide much better than F4 97a. They take a little bit more effort to break into a powerslide than F4 99a, but they slide well once it does break into it. They maintain a healthy traction during slides too, so they don't turn into ice cubes like some other wheels (STF 99a naturals, I'm looking at you). They actually revert/180-powerslide better than Spitfire 99a, which is interesting. Really fun to spin around on. I was trying to master 360 powerslides on them, haha. Spent a lot of my time riding them doing that.

I've heard the technology behind the formula is relying on vibration for slide rather than slickness. Its really interesting... it has a unique slide because of that reliance on vibration. They also have a nice "Bones bark" to them too. A loud crisp wheel. Doesn't sound like a soft wheel at all.

The SSF 97a was too hard for me as someone who lives in a neighborhood that probably realistically warrants F4 97a wheels. For context, F4 99a barely get the job done here, so a harder wheel is a no-go for sure. Hardness aside, I was really impressed with the wheel. If you were to just look at it as a traditional 103a wheel, its a solid 103a wheel in every respect.

I could see whichever durometer ends up "feeling like 99a" could have real potential to become a serious F4 competitor. A wheel that feels like 99a but maintains speed over rough streets and rough spots? Seems pretty useful in a country that's a capitalist austerity hellhole with a crumbling infrastructure.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt since I only got to ride the most extreme end of the spectrum. I have no idea if any or all of the above will still be relevant to the 90a, 93a, and 95a... but I have a feeling either 93a or 95a could have potential to be that "sweet spot".