Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 783997 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4980 on: May 26, 2022, 10:40:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I need more please. You've sent me to wheel horny jail
[close]

Bones/PP Experimental Formula 93a V6 56mm:

[close]

I guess these are the wheels that && was going on about on his Instagram the other day. Softer, but slide easier. Sounds like a good combination.

Yeah it is those. You can check earlier in the thread I've talked about the other ones I've tried.

From the sounds of it, it's that Soft Slide formula they've had on their downhill wheels, but retooled for harder duros?

They actually feel harder than their duro. Rough translation based on what I've skated (core might have affected things).

97a w/ core = ~103a
95a w/ core = ~101a
93a no core = 98-99a

If I had to guess the 90a probably will start feeling like a 95a cruisery wheel but with a nice slide. Haven't gotten to ride them yet though.

Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4981 on: May 26, 2022, 10:40:47 AM »
You can just mail the 90a wheels to me for testing.

PM'd you.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4982 on: May 26, 2022, 04:34:34 PM »
I just took the 93a to a parking lot that has given me trouble in the past. Slick blacktop with tons of rocks everywhere.

These things are shitkicking wheels. Its like the Spitfire 97a where it just shoots rocks away from you like a field goal kicker. I was actually laughing out loud while skating because of the amount of rocks it was shooting without really slowing down, where other wheels would send me fucking flying. Even at low speeds I was just rolling over rocks fine. I usually get tossed off my board by rocks and slip outs in this parking lot.

I also was wrecklessly skating TRYING to slip out to find their limit, and I couldn't get them to slip out. I was going full speed and powersliding, taking sharp turns... these things grip so much better than F4 99a. Even F4 97a slip out in this lot. That's going to be the closest thing I can give to a "indoor park" test.

I really hope I'm not overhyping these things for anyone. I'm sure people will find issues with grinding (again haven't been able to test myself)... but as far as everything else is concerned, these things are amazing.

I also skated another parking lot that is really rough and had to retrain myself to not have to push as many times at the spot as I usually do on F4 99a because these manage to maintain speed over the shitty lot better. There's also streets to and from spots where I usually pick up my board (except on F4 97a) and these tackle it like a champ.

I don't know what else to say. They're like if F4 97a slid amazingly, didn't feel bouncy/muted, and weren't as slow.

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4983 on: May 26, 2022, 05:15:18 PM »
Damn I really want to try these. Especially in a v5 or v6. I think bones has better shapes than spitfire and the issues I have with bones it sounds like this fixes them.

Weird question are these still made in the US Like other bones wheels? It’s not a deal breaker. I just liked that about bones. And hoping it continued

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4984 on: May 26, 2022, 06:14:35 PM »
Damn I really want to try these. Especially in a v5 or v6. I think bones has better shapes than spitfire and the issues I have with bones it sounds like this fixes them.

Weird question are these still made in the US Like other bones wheels? It’s not a deal breaker. I just liked that about bones. And hoping it continued

The last sets I got were still Made in USA, but who knows now.

I think the issue was having enough space to do everything as well as the volume of product that they could release in their existing location compared to having supply from additional woodshops in Mexico and China for their boards, from a while back, which freed up space and allowed them to keep going with things like wheels in the US.

Mini logo is all made in China, hence the price - great for a decent product - but the core Bones and Powell wheels still had that USA line on the wheel packaging, which others had also preferred.

So weird how they got seemingly caught up in the duro / colour thing to make wheels more like Spitfire, which then caused more people to go elsewhere, when they had the bright white wheel and a really good product for so many years, but I guess there will always be those who prefer Spitfire and those who prefer Bones for whatever reasons.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4985 on: May 26, 2022, 06:32:11 PM »

From what I've heard the 93a (and 90a) is going to be Powell Peralta branded, but Bones shapes. So get ready for some dragons and swords graphics lol. Hopefully the graphics come off easily.

I agree I think V6 is so much better than Conical Full. I really want to try OG Classics, but man I'm not sure if I want to go back to F4.

The most recent pair of Bones I have in package says made in USA. I think it's a graphic from the past year.

GT

• Rep: -15
« Reply #4986 on: May 26, 2022, 07:03:10 PM »
167 pages is bit much.

Any brand makes smaller wheels that are under 99a?

I have 53 spits I think they are 97a, but could not find any other brand.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4987 on: May 26, 2022, 07:05:54 PM »
167 pages is bit much.

I’ve seen Keyframes and Coffee Cruisers in 52mm, but that’s about it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4988 on: May 26, 2022, 07:14:59 PM »
167 pages is bit much.

There are a lot of small cruiser wheels, eg 90 duro or less which are really soft, but are you after that soft or just a little bit, eg still a normal wheel only not as hard, such as more in the 92, 95 or 97 duro range?

Santa Cruz / Slimeball normal wheels come in lower duro and size, down to 52mm which are maybe the most common around.

Ricta clouds come in smaller sizes too, medium to soft duros.

I guess if you had roughly size and duro options, I could look for some more too.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4989 on: May 27, 2022, 04:53:34 AM »
Love 97 spits for everything else, but 101 for speed and snap in smooth parks.... very curious about this PP formula

Don’t even really think there’s much bounce on 97 spits personally just a good 90’s(decade) feeling wheel... slides fine for me, all in on them now for crust wheel, adapted to Keyframes (def a bit bouncy) on street fine before... was just certain times they’d stick on ledges so switched it and not looked back.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4990 on: May 28, 2022, 04:50:04 PM »
OK finally got to skate the Bones/PP SSF 90a 54mm V6.

They definitely cross into the realm of feeling like cruiser wheels, but can still do tricks. I would definitely recommend the SSF 93a if you are purely trick skating. I've never owned anything softer than Spitfire F4 97a, but from my recollection these feel softer than those. These felt pillowy soft but still had some ground feel too which was nice. If I had to guess, these maybe feel like a traditional 94-95a wheel maybe? I'm just guessing.

The SSF 90a are a little bouncy (like the F4 97a) and are harder to slide and revert (which is to be expected) than hard wheels, just into the point of being annoying... but not bad at all for such a soft wheels. They slide better than F4 97a for sure.

They also have a bit of a smooth mushy slide? Doesn't have the bark that the harder wheels like the 93a-97a have. It actually felt like it kept slipping out a bit when sliding unlike the 93a which I couldn't get to slip out even once. I never fully slipped out, but I can definitely feel that it is a possibility.

I can't complain about them tackling rough terrain though. They were handling rough sidewalks and streets even better than the 93a (which already do a great job)... however the wheel was noticeably slower (again, all to be expected with a softer wheel). I actually rode up this fucked up crusty "ramp" thing that I hadn't even attempted to do with other wheels.

If you're looking for a cruiser wheel that slides, these things definitely slide and revert. I was able to do tricks on them just fine, but they ARE a bit sticky though.

I'm going to be honest... I'm not familiar enough with soft wheels to make a proper evaluation on them vs. other mainstays. I've skated Spitfire F4 97a, and those were okay. I would choose the SSF 93a as a bit of a "best of both worlds" hybrid of the best parts of the F4 99a and F4 97a. The SSF 90s are softer than the F4 97a, so its hard to compare the two, but obviously I would choose the SSF 90a if the SSF 93a wasn't cruisery enough. I would describe these as a cruiser wheel you can do tricks on and slide, and still have a little ground feel.

Overall from what I've tried:

97a hub/cored - I wouldn't recommend unless you skate super smooth terrain and like 103a wheels. Struggled with pebbles and sidewalk cracks even. Maybe they are better without the hub and not as hard feeling. Amazing revert, but struggled with powerslides? Very fast.

95a hub/cored - I would recommend to people who like hard wheels. They feel like 101a or so. They struggle with pebbles though. Amazing revert but struggled with powerslides? Almost as fast as the 97a.

I suspect a lot of the issues I had with the 97a and 95a have to be related to the core, because:

A) It makes no sense that the 93a and 90a would be better at powersliding than the 97a and 95a.

B) The 95a felt so much harder and vibratey than the 93a. It felt like there was a greater leap than 97a cored to 95a cored.

93a no core - My favorite wheel of all time. Feels like a 99a or a tad softer. Great slide, amazing grip. Tackles all the terrain you can throw at it, and kicks pebbles out of the way like crazy. I seriously think these things are going to be super popular.

90a no core - A soft cruiser wheel that can slide. Don't have much to compare it to. The 93a tackles rough stuff so well, that I would only choose these over those in purely transport situations.

If the 95a without the core is a bit softer and powerslides better, I could see that being a great wheel too if you don't need the the extreme crust tackling of the 93a... but having not tried the uncored version, I would just tell everyone to stick with the 93a V6.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 04:58:30 PM by FuzzGNU »

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #4991 on: May 28, 2022, 07:00:09 PM »
I just took the 93a to a parking lot that has given me trouble in the past. Slick blacktop with tons of rocks everywhere.

These things are shitkicking wheels. Its like the Spitfire 97a where it just shoots rocks away from you like a field goal kicker. I was actually laughing out loud while skating because of the amount of rocks it was shooting without really slowing down, where other wheels would send me fucking flying. Even at low speeds I was just rolling over rocks fine. I usually get tossed off my board by rocks and slip outs in this parking lot.

I also was wrecklessly skating TRYING to slip out to find their limit, and I couldn't get them to slip out. I was going full speed and powersliding, taking sharp turns... these things grip so much better than F4 99a. Even F4 97a slip out in this lot. That's going to be the closest thing I can give to a "indoor park" test.

I really hope I'm not overhyping these things for anyone. I'm sure people will find issues with grinding (again haven't been able to test myself)... but as far as everything else is concerned, these things are amazing.

I also skated another parking lot that is really rough and had to retrain myself to not have to push as many times at the spot as I usually do on F4 99a because these manage to maintain speed over the shitty lot better. There's also streets to and from spots where I usually pick up my board (except on F4 97a) and these tackle it like a champ.

I don't know what else to say. They're like if F4 97a slid amazingly, didn't feel bouncy/muted, and weren't as slow.
I’m drooling over this review.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4992 on: May 28, 2022, 08:35:20 PM »
Coming out with those durometers it’s going to end this stupid incessant need for something a bit softer and not so slippery!  Thank goodness…..

GT

• Rep: -15
« Reply #4993 on: May 28, 2022, 09:56:27 PM »
Expand Quote
167 pages is bit much.

[close]

There are a lot of small cruiser wheels, eg 90 duro or less which are really soft, but are you after that soft or just a little bit, eg still a normal wheel only not as hard, such as more in the 92, 95 or 97 duro range?

Santa Cruz / Slimeball normal wheels come in lower duro and size, down to 52mm which are maybe the most common around.

Ricta clouds come in smaller sizes too, medium to soft duros.

I guess if you had roughly size and duro options, I could look for some more too.

Thanks man! Yea I'll go to the shop and see what's available. I don't think at 50,51 they make anything else but  99a.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #4994 on: May 29, 2022, 04:38:29 PM »
OK finally got to skate the Bones/PP SSF 90a 54mm V6.

They definitely cross into the realm of feeling like cruiser wheels, but can still do tricks. I would definitely recommend the SSF 93a if you are purely trick skating. I've never owned anything softer than Spitfire F4 97a, but from my recollection these feel softer than those. These felt pillowy soft but still had some ground feel too which was nice. If I had to guess, these maybe feel like a traditional 94-95a wheel maybe? I'm just guessing.

The SSF 90a are a little bouncy (like the F4 97a) and are harder to slide and revert (which is to be expected) than hard wheels, just into the point of being annoying... but not bad at all for such a soft wheels. They slide better than F4 97a for sure.

They also have a bit of a smooth mushy slide? Doesn't have the bark that the harder wheels like the 93a-97a have. It actually felt like it kept slipping out a bit when sliding unlike the 93a which I couldn't get to slip out even once. I never fully slipped out, but I can definitely feel that it is a possibility.

I can't complain about them tackling rough terrain though. They were handling rough sidewalks and streets even better than the 93a (which already do a great job)... however the wheel was noticeably slower (again, all to be expected with a softer wheel). I actually rode up this fucked up crusty "ramp" thing that I hadn't even attempted to do with other wheels.

If you're looking for a cruiser wheel that slides, these things definitely slide and revert. I was able to do tricks on them just fine, but they ARE a bit sticky though.

I'm going to be honest... I'm not familiar enough with soft wheels to make a proper evaluation on them vs. other mainstays. I've skated Spitfire F4 97a, and those were okay. I would choose the SSF 93a as a bit of a "best of both worlds" hybrid of the best parts of the F4 99a and F4 97a. The SSF 90s are softer than the F4 97a, so its hard to compare the two, but obviously I would choose the SSF 90a if the SSF 93a wasn't cruisery enough. I would describe these as a cruiser wheel you can do tricks on and slide, and still have a little ground feel.

Overall from what I've tried:

97a hub/cored - I wouldn't recommend unless you skate super smooth terrain and like 103a wheels. Struggled with pebbles and sidewalk cracks even. Maybe they are better without the hub and not as hard feeling. Amazing revert, but struggled with powerslides? Very fast.

95a hub/cored - I would recommend to people who like hard wheels. They feel like 101a or so. They struggle with pebbles though. Amazing revert but struggled with powerslides? Almost as fast as the 97a.

I suspect a lot of the issues I had with the 97a and 95a have to be related to the core, because:

A) It makes no sense that the 93a and 90a would be better at powersliding than the 97a and 95a.

B) The 95a felt so much harder and vibratey than the 93a. It felt like there was a greater leap than 97a cored to 95a cored.

93a no core - My favorite wheel of all time. Feels like a 99a or a tad softer. Great slide, amazing grip. Tackles all the terrain you can throw at it, and kicks pebbles out of the way like crazy. I seriously think these things are going to be super popular.

90a no core - A soft cruiser wheel that can slide. Don't have much to compare it to. The 93a tackles rough stuff so well, that I would only choose these over those in purely transport situations.

If the 95a without the core is a bit softer and powerslides better, I could see that being a great wheel too if you don't need the the extreme crust tackling of the 93a... but having not tried the uncored version, I would just tell everyone to stick with the 93a V6.

Great write up!

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4995 on: May 29, 2022, 06:16:35 PM »
the @ function doesn’t work for me...

fuzz gnu, got any photos of these wheels?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4996 on: May 29, 2022, 08:27:30 PM »
the @ function doesn’t work for me...

fuzz gnu, got any photos of these wheels?

Sure!

Left to right: 90a 54mm V6, 93a 56mm V6, 95a 54mm ATF hub, 97a 54mm ATF hub

Left to right: 90a 54mm V6, 93a 56mm V6, 95a 54mm ATF hub, 97a 54mm ATF hub

Left to right: 93a 56mm V6, 90a 54mm V6, 95a 54mm ATF hub, 97a 54mm ATF hub

Left to right: 93a 56mm V6, 90a 54mm V6, 95a 54mm ATF hub, 97a 54mm ATF hub

Hard to tell but the ATF wheels are actually asymmetrical... they are sort of flat like a Lock-in/Tablet on the other side with the bearing closer to the surface, while on the radial side, the bearing is several milometers inset.

For real... the more I skate these 93mm V6, the more I'm impressed by them. They let me just skate without having to think about what surface I'm skating over.

I've been laughing this week thinking about how many of us are going to be skating some dorky ass dragon wheels because of how amazing these things are lol. Hopefully they also let Bones make some more tasteful graphics in 93a too.

Oh something I forgot to mention. I haven't gotten any of these to flat spot at all... but the 90a did chunk a tiny bit in the short time I was skating them (not pictured)... nothing major, and it wasn't on the edge so not an issue. When I see wheels with chunk on the edge, it psychs me out. 93a haven't chunked at all though.

EDIT: actually I just noticed the 90a had multiple chunks from that session. I guess that is too be expected from that duro, but the 93a hasn't chunked at all and I've been skating them for hours daily.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 07:26:32 PM by FuzzGNU »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4997 on: May 30, 2022, 03:40:40 AM »

Seriously great effort with all of this!!!

I know I prefer Spitfire, but of all the Bones sets I have had and still have, some of the softer versions are the most comfortable of almost any brand wheel - super fast and not feeling like other slower softer wheels.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #4998 on: June 03, 2022, 04:06:54 PM »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4999 on: June 03, 2022, 06:08:14 PM »
Wonder which duro he's riding. I skate some rough spots so I'm in for a set of the 97s

Swimming

• Rep: -1
« Reply #5000 on: June 03, 2022, 06:18:43 PM »
I was tryna get some wheels to bomb dirt hills or grass, and was wondering if any1 knew of what wheels would work best?

Sorry if this has already come up, but couldn't find it anywhere on here.

mamba

• Rep: 138
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5001 on: June 03, 2022, 07:05:45 PM »
Anyone else want to skate other wheels besides Spitfire Formula 4s? I love the wheel because the urethane really is unparalleled, but i’m bored of them. Snot as a company is cool. So is dial tone. but I know the wheels would probably be worse. Decisions decisions…

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5002 on: June 03, 2022, 07:17:51 PM »
Anyone else want to skate other wheels besides Spitfire Formula 4s? I love the wheel because the urethane really is unparalleled, but i’m bored of them. Snot as a company is cool. So is dial tone. but I know the wheels would probably be worse. Decisions decisions…

I've been hyping them in this thread but the Bones/Powell wheels that are coming out soon are the best wheel I've skated. Specifically the 93a, it feels like 99a but handles any terrain you throw at it ... The other duros aren't as amazing from my experience, but the 93a is special.

For real Powell about to take over with those wheels in any city that's crusty.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5003 on: June 03, 2022, 07:21:24 PM »

I do all the time. BONES STF, Ricta, OJ Elite. Plenty of other options (especially if you want harder wheels); tough to beat the F4 101a slide tho.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #5004 on: June 03, 2022, 07:22:32 PM »

i enjoy nfg/loophole personally, if you wanted another company to throw on the decision pile. had good & fun experiences on the v-cuts and square shapes. and as always ymmv

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5005 on: June 03, 2022, 07:22:55 PM »
Wonder which duro he's riding. I skate some rough spots so I'm in for a set of the 97s

Expand Quote

[close]

I have a big summary in this thread of all the duros in this formula that I've skated.... If you're skating crust, get the 93a... The 97a with a core in this formula are way too hard for crust from my experience. Like skating a 103a.

93a is the sweet spot... I have a feeling they are going to shoot themselves in the foot by even offering the 97a because obviously people will think that's the duro they should be skating. Only bad marketing will keep the 93a from taking off imo.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #5006 on: June 03, 2022, 08:28:34 PM »
Someone was asking about softer small wheels - Boardycakes has 43.5mm 97a.

https://www.boardycakes.com/product/boardy-cakes-43-1-2mm-97a-jr-gutterballs
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

mamba

• Rep: 138
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5007 on: June 03, 2022, 09:11:03 PM »
Tried a friend's board who had the new formula snot wheels. They slide way, way more than the old formula and have a totally different, higher-pitched bark.

so anyone else skate the new snot formula before i bite the bullet and try them anyway?

edit: got em anyway
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 02:10:22 PM by mamba »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5008 on: June 04, 2022, 05:41:37 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I have a big summary in this thread of all the duros in this formula that I've skated.... If you're skating crust, get the 93a... The 97a with a core in this formula are way too hard for crust from my experience. Like skating a 103a.

93a is the sweet spot... I have a feeling they are going to shoot themselves in the foot by even offering the 97a because obviously people will think that's the duro they should be skating. Only bad marketing will keep the 93a from taking off imo.

Rough isn't crust to me, so the (95a?) 97a is going to be what I'm after.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5009 on: June 04, 2022, 06:34:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Rough isn't crust to me, so the (95a?) 97a is going to be what I'm after.

I posted about it earlier in this thread, but to reiterate...

From what I know, the cored versions might have just been a test and probably won't be officially released? I wish I got to try the non-cored versions of 97a and 95a.

The 97a (cored) felt like 103a and was awful for any sort of difficult terrain like cracks (even sidewalk cracks), twigs, pebbles, etc. The most vibratey wheel I've ever ridden. I wouldn't recommend these except for park skating. They were very very fast. Amazing revert... so fun to revert and spin around on. Even without the core, I suspect they will be a very niche wheel. Maybe like a STF 103a but with better grip? They maintained speed over rough ground better though, which was interesting... but still vibrated your feet to hell.

The 95a (cored) felt like a 101a and were so close to being a great wheel... I suspect the core was sabotaging the wheel... they were very vibratey and I constantly got ejected by even small pebbles. I bet without the core these would be worth checking out. They were still very fast. Still had a really fun revert. I can recommend this wheel if you know for sure you're not going to be dealing with pebbles and such. I suspect it will deal with that stuff better without the core though? But I have no way of knowing. A good wheel for what it is, but the 93a without a core is so amazing, that I would err on the side of caution and recommend that instead to 90% of people until I know for sure.

The 93a (no core) felt like a 98a/99a is my favorite wheel of all time, hands down. Its like the best aspects of the F4 99a and the F4 97a all in one wheel. AND it grips better than both of them. I actually like the slide/revert on these better than F4 99a. Seriously these things are amazing. My only major complaint is that the slide takes a bit more to initiate than F4 99a. All the other positives are worth that trade off. I've also heard they might struggle with grind/slides, but I haven't gotten to verify so that is worth noting.

90a (no core) is a cruiser wheel essentially. It slides well for a cruiser wheel, but honestly the 93a tackles terrain good enough that I don't think I would ever want to use the 90a. The 93a is really THAT good.