Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 788032 times)

Thebird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 158
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5310 on: July 23, 2022, 03:08:39 PM »
Thanks for all of the info on the 93a's.  Sounds like they may be slightly too soft and I should wait for the 95's for something more clmparable to the f4 99a.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5311 on: July 23, 2022, 05:28:06 PM »

Bright white STFs were great. The new batches are just weird, the 103s feel like what you'd think a 99a STF *should* feel like, to me anyway...the 99a feel closer to the 97a spits but a bit more slidey.

I bought STF 103s last year after having about 6 previous sets.  I remember checking the graphics multiple times to make sure they weren't 99s.  I also bought some 99s about the same time, and they are different.

I don't mind the newer 103s that aren't as chattery, but have been doing SPF in the super smooth parks and F4s (both 99s and 101s) elsewhere.  I probably should figure out where I put them and give them another shot.

My local has some of the 93a Dragons for $36 and I'm tempted, but given that I usually like 101+ I'm holding off for the 95s.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5312 on: July 23, 2022, 05:36:54 PM »
I mentioned this before but years ago bones did the ditchtech, which I believe was a softer SPF….94? I really enjoyed the wheel but they discontinued them and when I wrote to bones, GP mentioned they weren’t happy with the wheel… well…it’s like 7 years later or something and I think these new dragon wheels replace them.  They are in it for the long game and have their vision, it’s not all about current demand.  It’s a good idea to market them separately. 

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #5313 on: July 23, 2022, 06:26:57 PM »
DTF were 90a.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5314 on: July 23, 2022, 07:46:54 PM »

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #5315 on: July 24, 2022, 05:37:53 AM »
Definitely don’t think these production 93as are a full on replacement for f4s.

They're very similar to the pre-production 95as I reviewed a few pages back, but actually feel just a tad harder and have a little more bark/screech than the preproduction 95as which is nice. Though they still have many of the same issues as the 95as.

They are wayyyyyyy better to push around and ride on, and would definitely unlock some spots that would otherwise be unskateable on 99 or 101as. In terms of powerslides and reverts, they feel weird and are less screechy and hard but slide pretty much just as good as 99a f4s when you get used to feel and sound of the slide.

However, like my review of the preproduction 95as (coreless), they have many of the same issues, just to a lesser extent. There's many situations where they still feel like a soft, cruiser/hybrid ish wheel. They will still pitch you harder if you wheelbite than a 97 or 99a f4. And compared to 97 or 99a f4s, they still feel a bit gummier to pop tricks off of which isn't good.

On waxed concrete ledges, they nose/tail/lip/bluntslide basically as good as an f4 99a. But they catch and grip a lot more if you don't lock into a perfect 5050, or pinched grind like a crook or something. They also grip and catch a lot more when climbing onto slappy grinds on concrete curbs, painted or not. On metal edges, and blunt/lipsliding wooden boxes they have a similar issue where they just catch more than a hard wheel.

I think the tldr is: if you're only concerned with initiating powerslides for speed checks/reverts... then they're basically just as good as a hard wheel/f4 once you get used to the feeling. But anything you're doing involves contact with the ledge/curb/rail where the wheel isn't sliding perfectly perpendicular, you may run into some issues because (and again I'm purely guessing here) the soft wheel cannot vibrate exactly at the frequency to replicate the slide of a hard wheel, or cannot initiate that vibration, which is how powell claims they replicate the slide of a hard wheel.

I had some of my friends, who skate f4s, try do some grinds on a ledge and some slappy crooks on this rough ish concrete curb that we all skate. They all found these 93as were significantly grippier than f4s for that. After letting them try my setup for a bit, they all loved how these wheels rode, but none of them would be willilng to switch from f4s to these.

I think if I was skating ground that I really struggled with on 99a f4s, or pretty much deemed unskateable on 99a f4s... then these would be really really good. But if the ground is not too uncomfortable or manageable on 99a f4s, I would prefer the f4s if it involved any kind of slide or grind action. Heck, I think overall I'd even prefer 97a f4s which still feel a lot harder than these 93as when just riding and are more versatile on grinds/slides on a variety of surfaces, albeit not as good as 99a f4s.. Again, like my previous impressions, these 93a powells feel like a hybrid wheel, whereas I'd categorize f4 99as, and even 97as as hard wheels that are pretty versatile.

So yeah, very very good wheel, I'm shocked they could make something of this durometer slide so good... but still, I'd only go for them if 97/99 f4s are giving you serious trouble on whatever you're skating. I would definitely consider trying the production 95a or 97as when they drop, but I've also spent wayyy too much money of these preproduction and production samples up until now.

edit: all the mentions of 97, 99 or 101a I'm referring to spitfire f4s. Also my current f4s are og classics, and wider than the v1 93a 54mm I have, so any grip/friction from the wheel would be purely from the formula, not wheel shape discrepancy

I definately agree that they climb up curbs for slappies. When cross locking frontside 5050s on round bars I noticed I had to change my technique a little because the. Ack wheel was climbing over the rail causing me to go into over willie.
I also don’t know if it has been mentioned but they are heavier than hard wheels as well. Other than that really fun smooth ride and love sliding them!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5316 on: July 24, 2022, 08:15:14 AM »
I think if you’re a quiver guy….you’re gonna make use of these wheels…..

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5317 on: July 24, 2022, 12:33:59 PM »
Expand Quote

Bright white STFs were great. The new batches are just weird, the 103s feel like what you'd think a 99a STF *should* feel like, to me anyway...the 99a feel closer to the 97a spits but a bit more slidey.
[close]

I bought STF 103s last year after having about 6 previous sets.  I remember checking the graphics multiple times to make sure they weren't 99s.  I also bought some 99s about the same time, and they are different.

I don't mind the newer 103s that aren't as chattery, but have been doing SPF in the super smooth parks and F4s (both 99s and 101s) elsewhere.  I probably should figure out where I put them and give them another shot.

My local has some of the 93a Dragons for $36 and I'm tempted, but given that I usually like 101+ I'm holding off for the 95s.

I've been riding the newer 103a stfs off and on and have grown to accept what they are, like  you said, a less chattery 103 stf; they're still better than the stf 99s for me and they slide better than the 99a spits I usually ride (especially for ledge/curb slide tricks).

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd take the bet, that the 103a formula got switched around right after they killed off the first wave of bright white EZ streets and switched over to the natural coloring (which has gotten lighter in color since the 'dirty birds').

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #5318 on: July 24, 2022, 01:32:42 PM »
Whelp, it was good while it lasted, but my NFG 95a’s have developed significant bearing seat stretch - like bearing stays on the axle. They’re still ok, but I can definitely tell somethings fucky on smooth surfaces.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5319 on: July 24, 2022, 05:20:14 PM »
I had a great set ricta clouds in college - high 80s or something like that. 55s. I was having an uncreative moment where I had two sets of indy 149s and would just retire my 8.5s to the cruiser. I went to school in the hudson valley and most of campus was crusty as shit, especially outside of the April-November window. So I'd jump down stuff and skate flat on my cruiser sometimes. I now have keyframes in the quiver and they feel pretty much the same. Soft but not bouncy, will slide on a slappy crook or a speed check. I would probably run rictas as soon as I would OJs; Spitfire's soft stuff Ive yet to have a great experience with
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5320 on: July 25, 2022, 01:37:18 AM »
Put the commercial release PP 93a Dragons on a new board and I had a few observations...

I'm now on different trucks, bushings, and different deck so its hard to do a 1:1 comparison...

1) I noticed side by side that the official release ones are a bit darker (I'll post a photo tomorrow) than the more white pre-release ones.

2) The official wheels roll faster than the pre-release ones. And its NOT a bearing difference because I haven't cleaned/lubed these bearings since the pre-release ones had them in. Maybe its possible that its because the new wheels still have treads on them (if that even affects speed?) but they definitely roll better.

3?) The the wheel feels slightly different in terms of vibrating less(?) and sound being slightly lower pitched? Its not a negative or a positive. It might be a few different factors. BBS wood for these new wheels vs. PS Stix before, Indy hollow trucks vs. Ace Classic before, and maybe the different bushings (top bushing is a soft Bones) are absorbing/affecting some of the vibrations (if that is a thing?). I still have to skate them some more. Might pop them on my old set-up just to see. I just assume its the difference in the rest of the setup (specifically BBS wood).

As far as I can tell everything else is pretty much the same... but I'll keep riding them and see.

Either way, still loving these wheels.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5321 on: July 25, 2022, 02:30:43 AM »
Put the commercial release PP 93a Dragons on a new board and I had a few observations...

I'm now on different trucks, bushings, and different deck so its hard to do a 1:1 comparison...

1) I noticed side by side that the official release ones are a bit darker (I'll post a photo tomorrow) than the more white pre-release ones.

2) The official wheels roll faster than the pre-release ones. And its NOT a bearing difference because I haven't cleaned/lubed these bearings since the pre-release ones had them in. Maybe its possible that its because the new wheels still have treads on them (if that even affects speed?) but they definitely roll better.

3?) The the wheel feels slightly different in terms of vibrating less(?) and sound being slightly lower pitched? Its not a negative or a positive. It might be a few different factors. BBS wood for these new wheels vs. PS Stix before, Indy hollow trucks vs. Ace Classic before, and maybe the different bushings (top bushing is a soft Bones) are absorbing/affecting some of the vibrations (if that is a thing?). I still have to skate them some more. Might pop them on my old set-up just to see. I just assume its the difference in the rest of the setup (specifically BBS wood).

As far as I can tell everything else is pretty much the same... but I'll keep riding them and see.

Even if I don't say it, I always appreciate all the info in your posts about those wheels.

Not sure if or when any will reach Australia, or if there will be many available, because I do feel spoilt to have been able to get wholesale access at one point but no longer have those shop account connections, so the likelihood of me buying any is remote but the sure do sound interesting and people I know have already been asking me about them too.

In trying the Mini logo 90 and 95 duro wheels a while back, I was surprised how fast they rolled over everything, when compared to some other brands, formulas and similar durometers.

Powell / Bones (and by default Mini Logo) productions are definitely top notch in the wheel departments.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #5322 on: July 25, 2022, 07:08:58 AM »
Whelp, it was good while it lasted, but my NFG 95a’s have developed significant bearing seat stretch - like bearing stays on the axle. They’re still ok, but I can definitely tell somethings fucky on smooth surfaces.

wild, what shape & how long have you been on them?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5323 on: July 25, 2022, 07:55:34 AM »
I see OJ Superjuice now also come in 87a. Anyone tried those yet?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5324 on: July 25, 2022, 08:57:32 AM »
I got my PP prototypes a few days ago, most of them were cored but whatever. What was surprising (and kind of annoying) was 2 sets of the 54mm (95a / 97a) were big and fat, they almost looked like cruiser wheels. I measured them and they were 36mm wide, wider than a Conical Full and closer to a Classic Full. The rest were V1 / V2 shapes, but I don't see myself riding these monster wheels.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 11:05:36 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5325 on: July 25, 2022, 07:07:08 PM »
I got my PP prototypes a few days ago, most of them were cored but whatever. What was surprising (and kind of annoying) was 2 sets of the 54mm (95a / 97a) were big and fat, they almost looked like cruiser wheels. I measured them and they were 36mm wide, wider than a Conical Full and closer to a Conical Full. The rest were V1 / V2 shapes, but I don't see myself riding these monster wheels.

Damn those bigger ones would be so good for my comfortable wheel size and shape.

I have too many anyway, including some Mini Logo 56 mm 95 duro which are great as a stand alone wheel too, but are probably the closest in size and shape to those ones.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

beandemon

« Reply #5326 on: July 26, 2022, 06:36:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

56mm Vs. Early May. Really, not a lot of hours in that time, either - still some life in the deck they were.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #5327 on: July 26, 2022, 07:11:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

56mm Vs. Early May. Really, not a lot of hours in that time, either - still some life in the deck they were.

Is it super hot where you live?

I took my 95a set off for the summer because they seemed to be getting softer in the extreme heat (I do most of my skating during my mid-day break and it's usually over 35*C), but it could've all been in my imagination.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #5328 on: July 26, 2022, 11:07:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I took my 95a set off for the summer because they seemed to be getting softer in the extreme heat (I do most of my skating during my mid-day break and it's usually over 35*C), but it could've all been in my imagination.

It's rarely very hot here and I haven't tested my 93s in these conditions, but I definitely noticed that my Spitfire 97a wheels behaved very differently when the temperature was over ~80-85°. Soft and mushy, similar to how they felt if they ever got too wet. I suspect that softer wheels, being less dense and more porous, are both more sensitive to temperature changes and more absorbent of water (ambient or on the ground).
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #5329 on: July 26, 2022, 12:22:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's rarely very hot here and I haven't tested my 93s in these conditions, but I definitely noticed that my Spitfire 97a wheels behaved very differently when the temperature was over ~80-85°. Soft and mushy, similar to how they felt if they ever got too wet. I suspect that softer wheels, being less dense and more porous, are both more sensitive to temperature changes and more absorbent of water (ambient or on the ground).

In my experience, SPF is the only wheel that’s not affected by extreme heat. Went on a road trip a few weeks ago and it was like 95 degrees one day. My 99a F4s were feeling noticeably slower than usual and it was frustrating

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #5330 on: July 26, 2022, 12:45:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Definitely don’t think these production 93as are a full on replacement for f4s.

They're very similar to the pre-production 95as I reviewed a few pages back, but actually feel just a tad harder and have a little more bark/screech than the preproduction 95as which is nice. Though they still have many of the same issues as the 95as.

They are wayyyyyyy better to push around and ride on, and would definitely unlock some spots that would otherwise be unskateable on 99 or 101as. In terms of powerslides and reverts, they feel weird and are less screechy and hard but slide pretty much just as good as 99a f4s when you get used to feel and sound of the slide.

However, like my review of the preproduction 95as (coreless), they have many of the same issues, just to a lesser extent. There's many situations where they still feel like a soft, cruiser/hybrid ish wheel. They will still pitch you harder if you wheelbite than a 97 or 99a f4. And compared to 97 or 99a f4s, they still feel a bit gummier to pop tricks off of which isn't good.

On waxed concrete ledges, they nose/tail/lip/bluntslide basically as good as an f4 99a. But they catch and grip a lot more if you don't lock into a perfect 5050, or pinched grind like a crook or something. They also grip and catch a lot more when climbing onto slappy grinds on concrete curbs, painted or not. On metal edges, and blunt/lipsliding wooden boxes they have a similar issue where they just catch more than a hard wheel.

I think the tldr is: if you're only concerned with initiating powerslides for speed checks/reverts... then they're basically just as good as a hard wheel/f4 once you get used to the feeling. But anything you're doing involves contact with the ledge/curb/rail where the wheel isn't sliding perfectly perpendicular, you may run into some issues because (and again I'm purely guessing here) the soft wheel cannot vibrate exactly at the frequency to replicate the slide of a hard wheel, or cannot initiate that vibration, which is how powell claims they replicate the slide of a hard wheel.

I had some of my friends, who skate f4s, try do some grinds on a ledge and some slappy crooks on this rough ish concrete curb that we all skate. They all found these 93as were significantly grippier than f4s for that. After letting them try my setup for a bit, they all loved how these wheels rode, but none of them would be willilng to switch from f4s to these.

I think if I was skating ground that I really struggled with on 99a f4s, or pretty much deemed unskateable on 99a f4s... then these would be really really good. But if the ground is not too uncomfortable or manageable on 99a f4s, I would prefer the f4s if it involved any kind of slide or grind action. Heck, I think overall I'd even prefer 97a f4s which still feel a lot harder than these 93as when just riding and are more versatile on grinds/slides on a variety of surfaces, albeit not as good as 99a f4s.. Again, like my previous impressions, these 93a powells feel like a hybrid wheel, whereas I'd categorize f4 99as, and even 97as as hard wheels that are pretty versatile.

So yeah, very very good wheel, I'm shocked they could make something of this durometer slide so good... but still, I'd only go for them if 97/99 f4s are giving you serious trouble on whatever you're skating. I would definitely consider trying the production 95a or 97as when they drop, but I've also spent wayyy too much money of these preproduction and production samples up until now.

edit: all the mentions of 97, 99 or 101a I'm referring to spitfire f4s. Also my current f4s are og classics, and wider than the v1 93a 54mm I have, so any grip/friction from the wheel would be purely from the formula, not wheel shape discrepancy
[close]

I definately agree that they climb up curbs for slappies. When cross locking frontside 5050s on round bars I noticed I had to change my technique a little because the. Ack wheel was climbing over the rail causing me to go into over willie.
I also don’t know if it has been mentioned but they are heavier than hard wheels as well. Other than that really fun smooth ride and love sliding them!

Oh opposite experience for me. The grip and catch when they go up the sidewalls, so its harder to get into a slappy grind and when you get in they grip noticeably more. Didn't get to skate a round rail, but based on my experience with them on curbs and certain ledges, I definitely wouldn't want to do 5050s on round bars with these.

beandemon

« Reply #5331 on: July 26, 2022, 01:05:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

In my experience, SPF is the only wheel that’s not affected by extreme heat. Went on a road trip a few weeks ago and it was like 95 degrees one day. My 99a F4s were feeling noticeably slower than usual and it was frustrating

Nah. Average high in July is 77*F/25*C.  I think it’s just a combo of wheel formula, wide board/trucks acting as a long lever and a heavy-ish old man doing a lot of slashy, slappy-type skating.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #5332 on: July 26, 2022, 08:52:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Even if I don't say it, I always appreciate all the info in your posts about those wheels.

Not sure if or when any will reach Australia, or if there will be many available, because I do feel spoilt to have been able to get wholesale access at one point but no longer have those shop account connections, so the likelihood of me buying any is remote but the sure do sound interesting and people I know have already been asking me about them too.

In trying the Mini logo 90 and 95 duro wheels a while back, I was surprised how fast they rolled over everything, when compared to some other brands, formulas and similar durometers.

Powell / Bones (and by default Mini Logo) productions are definitely top notch in the wheel departments.

I hope these make it to Australia, keen to try the 52mm just out of curiosity really.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5333 on: July 26, 2022, 11:51:44 PM »
so i been on the snot wheel boogerthane 99a for a month or so now. at first they were super grippy. Like i was genuinely terrified to do revert tricks on transition. after about a week they got better and now they are sliding great. still grippier than a 99a formula 4 but still pretty nice.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5334 on: July 30, 2022, 09:48:10 AM »
Dragons 93 - 54mm V1 shape.

I was going to hold off for the 95s, but the shop had a 20% off sale.

I have a lot of wheels.  SPF, STF 103 and 99s in multiple shapes/sizes, F4 101 and 99s in multiple shapes/sizes,  NFG 95s and now the Dragon 93s.   54 is my go-to size, but I have 51-56mm. 

I put them on and rode around the block.  Not surprisingly, they were very good.  Similar speed and comfort to the NFGs, which are nicer than any of the others on this pavement.  And they slid - just like everyone says.   It wasn't an actual session though - just fucking around for 10 minutes.

I usually skate at a transition park that is only 5 years old with super smooth concrete - so where the 93s are not remotely necessary.  Perfect place to try them for the first real session.

I warmed up for 5-10 minutes on a board with  F4 101 conical 54mm and Quantum Atoms.  It's a good all around wheel and I've spent a decent amount of time on lately.

The Dragons are set up with just broken in Big Balls Reds, which are a pretty good bearing.  First drop in was super odd.  There isn't the noise I am accustomed to.  Normally you get the audible feedback of exactly how fast you are going and that doesn't exist with these.  Without the noise it SOUNDED like I was going slow, but I wasn't.  They are softer and the feel matched that - which usually means slow, but they weren't.   It was a super hard disconnect for my brain.  They "felt" a little slower, but I wasn't having problems hitting as many walls as normal and I still seemed to be hitting them fast enough.   I skated them for a lot of the session and had a good time. They didn't limit me, but I never got accustomed to the silence.

I did a super un-scientific coasting distance test where I rolled into the park on one particular line with no pumping to see how far I get.  Dragons put me as far as the F4 101s.  In the past I have done the same line with 52mm F4 99s and not made it as far. 

I then pulled out another board with F4 99a conical 54mm and VXB Ceramics.  F4 99s are just a little slower than 101s and if you didn't skate them back to back in this park you would be happy with the 99 speed.  That's how the Dragons felt at this point.  Similar in speed to the 99s.

Then I grabbed my bigger setup I often use at this park with SPF 104 56mm and Swiss 6.   Per usual, this is just a faster setup here and so nice.  But SPFs are useless if it's not a super smooth park.  I'll still probably run SPFs here, but if I only had one board to ride everywhere, the Dragons would be a better choice.

I need to spend more time on them - but they are really good.  Speed in smooth stuff like an F4 99, but faster on crust.  Not a "quiver killer" wheel for me - but now I'm super curious about the 95s when they come out next month. 

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #5335 on: July 30, 2022, 10:09:01 AM »
Has anyone used the OJ Nomad for curb skating? I usually use my Spitfire classics for curbs as I like the round shape. But I have a pair laying around and wanted to know people’s experience with them before I switch them out.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #5336 on: July 30, 2022, 10:26:37 AM »
@backinaction

Do they remind you of the wheels of our youth?

Specifically G Bones, Bullets, or Slimeballs which in 89’ is all I recall anyone riding.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet because I feel like the contact patch should be wider. I think if the wheel was a full conical it would be more interesting. Probably wouldn’t slide as well but I can’t see buying these wheels if blunt or lip slides were a big part of your skating.

That said, I am gonna buy the 56mm version with the wider cut. Not as wide as I like but after riding Rough Riders as my primary wheel I really trust in Powell technology.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5337 on: July 30, 2022, 11:05:09 AM »
@backinaction

Do they remind you of the wheels of our youth?

Specifically G Bones, Bullets, or Slimeballs which in 89’ is all I recall anyone riding.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet because I feel like the contact patch should be wider. I think if the wheel was a full conical it would be more interesting. Probably wouldn’t slide as well but I can’t see buying these wheels if blunt or lip slides were a big part of your skating.

That said, I am gonna buy the 56mm version with the wider cut. Not as wide as I like but after riding Rough Riders as my primary wheel I really trust in Powell technology.

I started out in '87 with Slimeballs.  By 89 or so I was using G&S Plaid.   I don't even remember what I was using past that, and I stopped in 93. I could name almost every deck I skated out of the 20 or so in that time and every truck, but not wheels.  If it was roundish it was good enough.   Way different mentality then picking it up again at 40 and buying shit out of curiosity. 

I think the 56mm V6 would be a sweet wheel for older guys that don't want a super hard wheel.  It's almost as fast in the smooth parks and less slippery, but can skate a ditch.   

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5338 on: July 30, 2022, 11:27:04 AM »
Has anyone used the OJ Nomad for curb skating? I usually use my Spitfire classics for curbs as I like the round shape. But I have a pair laying around and wanted to know people’s experience with them before I switch them out.

I’ve had a few sets. They’re a decent “soft-side-of-hard” wheel, but I always feel like the skinny shape is weird for riding crust. That said, they do give you some extra space in the middle because they’re narrow, so they’re actually not too bad for curbs, in my opinion.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #5339 on: July 30, 2022, 11:49:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve had a few sets. They’re a decent “soft-side-of-hard” wheel, but I always feel like the skinny shape is weird for riding crust. That said, they do give you some extra space in the middle because they’re narrow, so they’re actually not too bad for curbs, in my opinion.

Thank you. I’ll give em a shot. Might as well use wjat I have instead of dropping $$ on another set of wheels.