Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 783694 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6000 on: December 31, 2022, 02:06:00 PM »
If the street spot wasn't chunky I don't see why you'd want a Dragon or X-formula. Is that what you all mean- a crusty street spot? I mostly skate ledges and normal spots and can't see them having an advantage esp if it's a cement plaza or something.

minilogoflow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #6001 on: December 31, 2022, 03:51:35 PM »
If the street spot wasn't chunky I don't see why you'd want a Dragon or X-formula. Is that what you all mean- a crusty street spot? I mostly skate ledges and normal spots and can't see them having an advantage esp if it's a cement plaza or something.

If you're at plaza or somewhere with decent ground then of course they're not ideal. The majority of the street spots where I'm at are pretty chewed up so I guess I should have prefaced that when I said "actual street spots". Personally, they only place the where the dragons/x formula weren't good was on super smooth ground. I didn't get enough drag on grinds or slides to slow down or pitch me like some people have but to each their own.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6002 on: December 31, 2022, 07:42:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Beware Wet black top on new dragons.

I just did a 20-30' backside slider dragging my fingertips because some kook ass yuppies went to go gadget jersey barrier in front the exit of the parking garage. Trying to flex they security guard muscle on a mofo. Street was empty

A young on looker shouted AWESOME SPEED or something. Distraction needed to let it go with just some words.

Stupid fucking tourists tried to kill my ass. I was definitely heated but I chilled it
[close]

Sounds like that would have been a glorious death.

It's supposed to be a meter maid in San Francisco or else the the prophecy won't be fulfilled. Has to be lots of other skaters watching and I gotta be like 90 years old. Must be cooking switch too.

The world is at stake here
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6003 on: December 31, 2022, 07:55:11 PM »
Apparently Spitfire is coming out with a new formula soon, planned for spring/summer 2023

from what I heard from my friend and DLX its called something like the "nutter" or "dutter" formula and its meant to be something similar to an OJ super juice 78A

not my kind of wheel but i see the growing market, and spitfire has really bad cruiser wheels as of current (cored 80HD chargers)

I must have got a lucky set. My 80hd experience was positive AF. I had a set of Super Balls I copped at Brick house right before they closed. Local wheels I think. Lasted all the way to 2014 when I ripped the core out bombing down to a Rugg Road show. Probably Neighborhood Shit and Opposition Rising.

The next day I went and copped the natural 80hd at 53 and got them into the mid 40s by 2016. Then I met Dizzy and he hooked me up with an 8.5 one gig board and I copped all new shit including hard wheels to match.

I still got the 80hd wheels they're in good shape considering how small they got. I can slide them too but when you snap back to forward your still going the same speed as before more or less.

I feel they are more for cruising around against Chinatown traffic and shit. You know when slowing down or second guessing yourself means potential death. Light tricks like step hop... Step hop front big spin high speed back 80 pivot 360 and hill bomb Manny stuff.

Once the got small they did slappies better 

The Dragons feel pretty close to that in ride except they slide obviously. A little ruffer ride too.

Dragons remind me of the old Powell 95a formula from the late 80s on dusty Masonite.
(A)pl(E)

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #6004 on: December 31, 2022, 08:35:54 PM »
Apparently Spitfire is coming out with a new formula soon, planned for spring/summer 2023

from what I heard from my friend and DLX its called something like the "nutter" or "dutter" formula and its meant to be something similar to an OJ super juice 78A

not my kind of wheel but i see the growing market, and spitfire has really bad cruiser wheels as of current (cored 80HD chargers)

Nice. I figured they'd up their soft wheel game at some point.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
« Reply #6005 on: January 01, 2023, 04:02:14 AM »

Exactly what I would expect to hear from a Southern Californian.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
« Reply #6006 on: January 01, 2023, 04:13:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have some Mini Juice wheels are they are seriously great - just a ton of fun. If Spitfire wants my money, they could make something comparable in the ~52-55mm range, maybe something a little less cruiser and more dialed for "street" skating.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

pops

• Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6007 on: January 01, 2023, 04:30:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have some Mini Juice wheels are they are seriously great - just a ton of fun. If Spitfire wants my money, they could make something comparable in the ~52-55mm range, maybe something a little less cruiser and more dialed for "street" skating.

This. I still want to try the 87 Super Juice. Have the 78s on my cruiser.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6008 on: January 01, 2023, 08:31:24 AM »
F4 Og classic 66s.
(A)pl(E)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6009 on: January 01, 2023, 12:58:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly what I would expect to hear from a Southern Californian.

There is no asphalt here, we're all just doing loops in Poods indefinitely.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6010 on: January 01, 2023, 01:46:53 PM »
I tried a bunch of wheels today at the diy.

X formula in 56mm is so nice. It's competitive with F4 99 a which is my favorite wheel. Colour was sick too. No tread on them as well.
Definitely recommend.
Then I tried the DF 60 mm rat bones. Insane how good those are. I think with dragons wider is better. Both wheels was wider than my 58mm rat bones 2

I'm happy af still tho. No body pain full day session on pretty gnarly ground with wood ramps and a bunch of slappie curbs. So fun. Glad it was 60⁰ almost in the first day of the year.

The apocalypse has never been so good. 

My impossibles on the bank are really good rn too.
(A)pl(E)

pops

« Reply #6011 on: January 01, 2023, 10:13:39 PM »
I have no access to the new Bones wheels atm but got some OJ keyframes that I'm saving for my summer cruiser. Would the work in dusty wooden indoor skateparks, mostly for miniramp? Too grippy for that?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6012 on: January 01, 2023, 11:12:58 PM »
I have no access to the new Bones wheels atm but got some OJ keyframes that I'm saving for my summer cruiser. Would the work in dusty wooden indoor skateparks, mostly for miniramp? Too grippy for that?

I would say as long as you don't go into it thinking they are going to skate like normal (harder) wheels, they should be fine.

Given that sort of wheel will feel slower and really grip a lot, just make sure anything that turns is landed correctly, more so than sliding the board around, but in general I have skated cruiser board wheels like those at slippery wooden parks and they still go well enough, but I did have to catch myself more than once when a harder wheel would have helped me land whatever it was I was trying.

Err on the side of caution for everything like that and feel the park out and you will get it easily enough - I would rather grip too much than slip out too much though, but that is just me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pops

« Reply #6013 on: January 01, 2023, 11:41:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would say as long as you don't go into it thinking they are going to skate like normal (harder) wheels, they should be fine.

Given that sort of wheel will feel slower and really grip a lot, just make sure anything that turns is landed correctly, more so than sliding the board around, but in general I have skated cruiser board wheels like those at slippery wooden parks and they still go well enough, but I did have to catch myself more than once when a harder wheel would have helped me land whatever it was I was trying.

Err on the side of caution for everything like that and feel the park out and you will get it easily enough - I would rather grip too much than slip out too much though, but that is just me.

Thanks! I've ridden the 78a before so I'm kind of used to softer wheels but they were way too grippy and sluggish for parks. I was wondering how different  the 87a would be so I decided to give them a try. I'm on 99d Spits right now so they will definitely feel different.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #6014 on: January 02, 2023, 06:19:42 PM »
Picked up the X 97 in 54mm V5.

I only skated them for half an hour, and it was 28 degrees. 

In the asphalt parking lot they were almost as smooth as the Dragons.  If I had never skated Dragons I would have been very impressed with them.

On the smooth park they were more normal feeling than the Dragons and a little faster.

Grip was good. Harder wheels get super slick sub freezing. I did some board slides, and they did stick a bit.  Didn’t do enough to get a good feel for them. 

Overall I’m quite happy with them.  They are perfect for me this time of year, where the Dragons still feel unnatural in the park, 101s and up are too slick, and they feel better than the F4 99s.

Time will tell when it warms up more, and I spend time in the bowls to gauge speed better.

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #6015 on: January 03, 2023, 06:22:24 AM »
What's the consensus on a wheel that doesn't slip around at an indoor? Dragons? I'm on Spit 97's and they're still slippery as shit.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6016 on: January 03, 2023, 07:03:24 AM »
is there anything more slick than bones STF 104a?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #6017 on: January 03, 2023, 07:18:09 AM »
I neeeed someone to tell me how the x formula slide compares to the stf 99a.
I can manage the sucky 99a, so if the x formula slides the same while being smoother, I'd be happy with them.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #6018 on: January 03, 2023, 08:28:22 AM »
is there anything more slick than bones STF 104a?

It depends on the surface. SPF are hard, but are designed to grip on smooth surfaces instead of slide. On super smooth concrete I slide better on STF 103. F4 101 will be more consistent than the SPF. Any boardslide / blunt slide / nose / tail is going to slide better on an STF or F4 101.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6019 on: January 03, 2023, 10:50:17 PM »
I neeeed someone to tell me how the x formula slide compares to the stf 99a.
I can manage the sucky 99a, so if the x formula slides the same while being smoother, I'd be happy with them.

I find the slide to be better than the 99a stf IMO - I hate the stf 99a formula since they changed it...so sluggish. If you can manage the 99a you will be much happier with these with the added smoothness. I mentioned it in this thread prior, but I see no reason to ever touch the 99a STFs again when I can ride the x97s...

The caveat here being terrain...the dragon/bones x formula is the same, just different duros/branding and it's designed for shit terrain, where it excels...if you plan on taking these to smooth parks/smooth streets, you'd be better off with 99a spits...not that the x97s don't work in those situations, but if you are chasing a 'hard 99a' these are not the wheels you are looking for.

Once you get used to them, it's really hard to go back to other 99s (let alone 101s...hell, 99a spits feel like rocks after skating the 97s) if you are out in the streets, they're really jarring in comparison; I also don't mind giving up a little bit of speed/slide distance for the amount of spots they open up.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 11:02:28 PM by Xen »

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6020 on: January 04, 2023, 02:56:46 AM »
What's the consensus on a wheel that doesn't slip around at an indoor? Dragons? I'm on Spit 97's and they're still slippery as shit.

I got Dragons especially for my dusty ass indoor and they work great. If slipping is your main concern, I'd go Dragons.

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #6021 on: January 04, 2023, 07:11:03 AM »
Has anyone ever mixed up wheel durometer (this might need to go in the gear madness thread ;D )

Been thinking about 97a on the back and 99a on the front. Not too much difference but it would offer a bit more grip on the back and a little more slide on the front end. This looks dumb now i've typed it but interesting to see what the obvious (to other people) cons would be.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6022 on: January 04, 2023, 09:10:46 AM »
ABD

Rockstar Energy Mayhem Fest 7.75
Navigator 8" (front) + Indy 215 (back)
Ricta Crystals 45mm 101a(front) + OJ Little Doodies (back)
Bones Reds
Paradox grip
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #6023 on: January 04, 2023, 09:57:11 AM »
Has anyone ever mixed up wheel durometer (this might need to go in the gear madness thread ;D )

Been thinking about 97a on the back and 99a on the front. Not too much difference but it would offer a bit more grip on the back and a little more slide on the front end. This looks dumb now i've typed it but interesting to see what the obvious (to other people) cons would be.

Not a bad idea if you mostly slide/grind with the front. The softer duro will probably wear down faster, so that might turn into a problem someday. But maybe it doesn't even matter if the front wheels are 1-2mm smaller. Might be fun

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6024 on: January 04, 2023, 02:44:47 PM »
ABD
Expand Quote

Rockstar Energy Mayhem Fest 7.75
Navigator 8" (front) + Indy 215 (back)
Ricta Crystals 45mm 101a(front) + OJ Little Doodies (back)
Bones Reds
Paradox grip
[close]

Some Kev's Creation shit right here. I miss that show.

AtB with Joel Jr too. I wish that show had more episodes too.
(A)pl(E)

IpathCats

« Reply #6025 on: January 05, 2023, 05:42:14 AM »
I tried some 54mm 101a F4 classics recently, I really liked them.

However, I really noticed the difference when riding less than optimal surfaces when compared to the 56mm 99a f4s *classics* that im used to.

My question is, do you guys think a 54mm 101a radial would be a good middle ground?

Would the extra riding surface help handle rougher terrain and maybe make them grippier compared to the 54mm 101 classic?

Will post over in the "questions that dont deserve a whole thread" if needed, but i figured all the dudes in the wheel thread would best be able to hash this SERIOUS matter out for me. lol thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:09:02 AM by IpathCats »

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #6026 on: January 05, 2023, 06:10:00 AM »

However, I really noticed the difference when riding less than optimal surfaces when compared to the 56mm 99a f4s that im used to.

My question is, do you guys think a 54mm 101a radial would be a good middle ground?

Would the extra riding surface help handle rougher terrain and maybe make them grippier compared to the 54mm 101 classic?

Will post over in the "questions that dont deserve a whole thread" if needed, but i figured all the dudes in the wheel thread would best be able to hash this SERIOUS matter out for me. lol thanks in advance.

Ask over in the f4 thread- serious about shape discussion over there.

IpathCats

« Reply #6027 on: January 05, 2023, 06:25:43 AM »
Expand Quote

However, I really noticed the difference when riding less than optimal surfaces when compared to the 56mm 99a f4s that im used to.

[close]

Ask over in the f4 thread- serious about shape discussion over there.

Will do! thanks man.

pops

« Reply #6028 on: January 07, 2023, 04:48:11 AM »
Got the Keyframes and tested them indoors for a bit. They sure grip well but that will probably wear out a little after skating them more. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the shape, I thought they're symmetrical but not something I wouldn't get used to.
At first glance they seemed kinda cheaply made, toy skateboard wheels like almost, lol.  ;D

IpathCats

« Reply #6029 on: January 07, 2023, 06:22:40 AM »
Got the Keyframes and tested them indoors for a bit. They sure grip well but that will probably wear out a little after skating them more. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the shape, I thought they're symmetrical but not something I wouldn't get used to.
At first glance they seemed kinda cheaply made, toy skateboard wheels like almost, lol.  ;D

Before dragons came out I had a couple sets of the keyframes. I thought they were great for the price and what I intended to use them for. A good in-between regular and super soft cruiser wheel.