Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777597 times)

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6120 on: January 22, 2023, 08:49:54 PM »
About 8 months of the year, SPF 84 are my favorite wheel at my local evergreen park. They are faster than everything else and usually grippy enough. Once the temperature drops below 45 I won’t use them. The grip is gone. In previous years I would do F4 99, but I did just get X97s. Tried dragons for a bit, but they felt too unnatural.

I look forward to April when I can use the SPF again

JimmyFive

• Rep: 36
« Reply #6121 on: January 22, 2023, 10:29:28 PM »
I'd only ever go back to bones SPF for skating transition if they stopped making Spitfire f4 99. I'm sure the bones SPF are better than anything other than the f4s, but the difference between them and f4s in a big bowl is huge. I had so many slams riding SPFs, like coming out of a carve hauling ass and lose traction. Never happens with spitfire f4s. I was a very late adapter to f4s too

Reaally? I always thought that f4 was more of a street wheel and not great (too slippy) for transition. I am using f4 97a conical full for my crust (and crusty transition) wheel atm. What wheel would you recommend for a f4 transition wheel?
I hate unintended slipping coming out from a carve, not fun!

JimmyFive

• Rep: 36
« Reply #6122 on: January 22, 2023, 10:46:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
SPFs are super glassy at smooth parks, if they break free watch out.
[close]

I thought SPFs are supposed to stick pretty well for such a hard wheel - especially on smooth concrete?

I've just bought my first set of 58mm 84b after hearing they were the gold standard for a transition wheel.
I haven't tried them at the park yet but rolling around they feel super hard and fast. My usual is 99a OJ Elite Hardline and even they feel a bit slippery at times for me...
[close]

There definitely seem to be better overall properties with Bones SPF and Spitfire Formula Four over pretty much every other brand wheel on the market, but that shouldn't stop anyone from experiencing it for themselves, or making their own mind up on what works best for them.

At least having a wheels thread for everything is better than just a Bones vs Spitfire thread, where I think the arguments for or against are very personal, depending on past experiences.

The older USA made ever so slightly milky looking OJ Elite wheels in any size or shape were a totally different feel to the newer very plasticy white looking OJ Elite wheels, which feel harder and are more slippery, but I get why they changed the formula as the older ones were a bit grippy and did tend to flatspot a bit more quickly too.

I know some people that love the old ones and others that swear by the newer ones, so again, it is down to what the person prefers.

I do think you will find the Bones wheels a step up from the OJs though.

My OJ Elites are sounding like the offshore ones... They are a stark white with a strange orange tint. They also had this really distinctive chemical smell to them when I opened them up - I've never had wheels smell so rank.

Will let you guys know how I get on...

elegant_fox

« Reply #6123 on: January 23, 2023, 07:05:26 AM »
Expand Quote
I'd only ever go back to bones SPF for skating transition if they stopped making Spitfire f4 99. I'm sure the bones SPF are better than anything other than the f4s, but the difference between them and f4s in a big bowl is huge. I had so many slams riding SPFs, like coming out of a carve hauling ass and lose traction. Never happens with spitfire f4s. I was a very late adapter to f4s too
[close]

Reaally? I always thought that f4 was more of a street wheel and not great (too slippy) for transition. I am using f4 97a conical full for my crust (and crusty transition) wheel atm. What wheel would you recommend for a f4 transition wheel?

I started out last year on a set of 58mm 99a F4 OG Spitfire classics and swapped them out for 60mm 84b Bones SPF because the F4s felt saggy on concrete transition. I’ve actually had the 84b slide characteristics save me a few times where it breaks away and slides naturally to me whereas F4s bark and dig in and pitch you once they grip again.

It’s weird, but I’d almost say the Bones SPF has both more slip and more grip than Spitfire F4 on concrete transition. Maybe the better way to put it would be more predictable breakaway traction.

I think it all comes down to riding style and surface.

roll_dog

« Reply #6124 on: January 23, 2023, 10:14:59 AM »
Surprised to see some of the opinions on SPFs in here. They have been my favorite wheel for the past several years so I figured I'd toss my 2 cents in.

The 84b ones could be a tiny bit slippery on really slick surfaces, but without a doubt the fastest wheel unless there's some underdog from ricta or something. I would recommend them on skateparks with that slightly weathered, textured concrete.

The 81b ones on the other hand grip really well, to the point they stick a little on some slides. Almost as fast as well.

The reason I bring all this up is because I moved to a new town and the local is insanely slick, slickest bowl I've ever skated. I tried both spitfire f4 101a and oj elite 101a, and with both of them I would find myself doing unexpected slides mid bowl run that would terrify me and kill my confidence. Really I would have preferred to keep either of those wheels because they could be used in the streets, unlike SPF.

We also get real winters here, have been skating in freezing temps and I do not find the 81b SPF wheels to lose traction in the winter.

Don't mean to contradict anyone's opinions here but I do feel that SPFs are a pretty amazing skatepark wheel. I say that as someone who wants to quit them, so I don't have to use a separate set of wheels in the street. I simply haven't been able to stop using them because they work for me.

I wonder if some of the negative sentiments I've read here are more preference based, since Bones wheels really do have unique slide characteristics. It's quite different than a spitfire 99a, and I think if you are used to that, SPFs might feel alien enough to just turn you off completely.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6125 on: January 23, 2023, 11:11:25 AM »
Anybody tried those OJ concentrate hardline 101?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #6126 on: January 23, 2023, 09:22:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

99 duro F4s are my favorite wheels for transition, I ride the 58mm OG classics. They do well on crusty parks and slippery parks. The grip to slide ratio is perfect and the slide is predictable and controlled. There’s times where I’ve been hauling ass and lost traction but was still able to control it. Anytime that happened with SPFs I got pitched and ate shit hard. SPFs are way faster than F4s though

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6127 on: January 24, 2023, 08:01:15 AM »
I got to try the 97a 52mm bones today and immediately traded them for my 52 dragons.

Did skate one majorly fuck up by releasing the dragons first? Dragon hype was huge and it seems like nobody cares about the 97s now. I'm amazed.

I'm sure they hit the old guy demographic really hard with the dragons, but they could have revolutionized street skating with more 97 hype. I guess time will tell.

Dragons are still amazing but goddamn those 97 are the truth

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6128 on: January 24, 2023, 08:13:28 AM »

+1.

I'm on a set of 54mm V5.  Only skated them twice, but they are much less foreign feeling than the Dragons.  I am super surprised there isn't much hype around these.

elegant_fox

« Reply #6129 on: January 24, 2023, 08:29:45 AM »
I got to try the 97a 52mm bones today and immediately traded them for my 52 dragons.

Did skate one majorly fuck up by releasing the dragons first? Dragon hype was huge and it seems like nobody cares about the 97s now. I'm amazed.

I'm sure they hit the old guy demographic really hard with the dragons, but they could have revolutionized street skating with more 97 hype. I guess time will tell.

I think Dragon hype has more to do with extending more options to street skating whereas if you wanted a 97a wheel, 97 f4s have existed for a while. A new competitor in the same wheel class is less exciting than opening up more options for rough spot skating.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6130 on: January 24, 2023, 08:33:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think Dragon hype has more to do with extending more options to street skating whereas if you wanted a 97a wheel, 97 f4s have existed for a while. A new competitor in the same wheel class is less exciting than opening up more options for rough spot skating.

97 f4 aren't comparable though. Even the dragons slide better than those. They're nowhere near x formula.

I get what you're saying though. People heard the claims of a good 97a wheel before

elegant_fox

« Reply #6131 on: January 24, 2023, 08:37:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

97 f4 aren't comparable though. Even the dragons slide better than those. They're nowhere near x formula.

I get what you're saying though. People heard the claims of a good 97a wheel before

That’s a good point about the slides, I’m hoping to try the X Bones as soon as they’re in the shop. The local scene is so Spitfire focused, most of the bones wheels you need to order. They did have Dragons on the shelf though.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6132 on: January 24, 2023, 09:11:21 AM »

This is exactly why there should have been more hype around the X-97s, because they aren't just a "new 97 like Spitfires" in the same way that Dragons aren't just Powell's version of a Ricta Cloud 92a.    X-97s aren't a Bones version of the F4 97.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #6133 on: January 24, 2023, 09:26:48 AM »
OJ From Concentrate wheels were the absolute worst wheels I ever skated. They’re low rebound so they feel tacky/sticky while rolling, but slide out of control at the same time
fuck you bama

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 115
« Reply #6134 on: January 24, 2023, 10:30:14 AM »
Any difference between spitfire 97 and bones 97 ?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6135 on: January 24, 2023, 10:42:09 AM »
Any difference between spitfire 97 and bones 97 ?

The x97s are smoother and faster on rough terrain and slide much better.

You could also just scroll  up to the top of this page....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:28:03 AM by Xen »

Lazyskater

• Rep: 5
« Reply #6136 on: January 24, 2023, 11:16:08 AM »
Bones 56 mm 97a review: (disclaimer it's winter in Philly so wheels and riding surfaces are much harder) comparing to bones 55 mm 103a street and 58 mm 84b park wheels. At fdr (not smooth concrete but not pitted) I can hardly notice a speed difference between 84b and 97a but I definitely feel them drag more on grinds on coping. They feel much better landing trucks over hips. When doing flip tricks at fdr they slide just as good as 103a. However any pinched ledge tricks get stuck and I end up doing more 5-0s then crooks. Also as soon as I go to a smooth concrete park they are noticable much slower then either 103a or 84b and slide less, but when I go to our diy with bad ground they are much faster and slide much better. I like the 97a alot and will probably always throw them on when I go to the diy and even fdr as my feet are so much better the next day. Ill update if I remember when its summer and humid.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6137 on: January 24, 2023, 11:37:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
OJ From Concentrate wheels were the absolute worst wheels I ever skated. They’re low rebound so they feel tacky/sticky while rolling, but slide out of control at the same time
This is exactly the kind of reply I expect from this lovely place.
Thx.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #6138 on: January 24, 2023, 12:10:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Thx.
@moonordie
If you’re looking at OJ’s go for the Elite urethane. They have some hardlines in that formula line. I had some EZ Edges and Mini Combos that I really liked. They do get flatspots and chips, but I attribute them chipping on me to these two ledges I was crooked grinding. They have a “grip but still slide when you want them to” kind of thing going for them. I would choose them over a hard Bones wheel if I had to make the choice
fuck you bama

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6139 on: January 24, 2023, 12:29:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The OJ from concentrates are their Price Point wheel, utter garbage.  Elite>regular OJs>Slime Balls>From concentrate

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6140 on: January 24, 2023, 02:41:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Thx.
[close]
@moonordie
If you’re looking at OJ’s go for the Elite urethane. They have some hardlines in that formula line. I had some EZ Edges and Mini Combos that I really liked. They do get flatspots and chips, but I attribute them chipping on me to these two ledges I was crooked grinding. They have a “grip but still slide when you want them to” kind of thing going for them. I would choose them over a hard Bones wheel if I had to make the choice
I appreciate the Intel but I was asking just out of curiosity since my local has some in sale but I'm way too info g4s, can't go back to anything else I think
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #6141 on: January 24, 2023, 09:13:09 PM »
speaking of OJ's can anyone give a comprehensive description of the differnece between 99a elite urethane vs. 101a? like what the fuck does it even feel like

I skated the 53mm mini combos in 101a (im pretty sure they dont make mini combos, other than maybe pro models, in anything other than 101a) and i remember them being good and skating them for a long time. Also kinda just wanna accept OJ as a wheel id skate to switch things up and keep it cheap.

The mini combo shape itself is amazing, i loved the wheels because they kinda felt like a bouncy bones stf (throwback) that you could still skate street with, BUT AGAIN 101a is truly not as versatile, plus i wonder if elite would even feel better slightly softer (seems worse the more that i think about it) . I wanna try the 56mm version.

Hardline shape seems kinda bland to me and ez edge doesnt come in big sizes. again the durometers seem to be weirdly exclusive to some shapes with no exceptions ive seen over the years (in terms of the offerings from oJ ive been exposed to)

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #6142 on: January 25, 2023, 10:21:36 AM »
speaking of OJ's can anyone give a comprehensive description of the differnece between 99a elite urethane vs. 101a? like what the fuck does it even feel like

I skated the 53mm mini combos in 101a (im pretty sure they dont make mini combos, other than maybe pro models, in anything other than 101a) and i remember them being good and skating them for a long time. Also kinda just wanna accept OJ as a wheel id skate to switch things up and keep it cheap.

The mini combo shape itself is amazing, i loved the wheels because they kinda felt like a bouncy bones stf (throwback) that you could still skate street with, BUT AGAIN 101a is truly not as versatile, plus i wonder if elite would even feel better slightly softer (seems worse the more that i think about it) . I wanna try the 56mm version.

Hardline shape seems kinda bland to me and ez edge doesnt come in big sizes. again the durometers seem to be weirdly exclusive to some shapes with no exceptions ive seen over the years (in terms of the offerings from oJ ive been exposed to)

Chris Gregson has a pro OJ elite wheel out, that is a 97a mini combo in 56mm.
On paper they should be great, but alas they’re 50/50 red/black.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #6143 on: January 25, 2023, 11:10:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Chris Gregson has a pro OJ elite wheel out, that is a 97a mini combo in 56mm.
On paper they should be great, but alas they’re 50/50 red/black.

Yeah I wanted the 56mm shin sanbongi 99a mini combos with the blue/orange graphic but i saw they were original formula. The original formula looks more translucent, much like SMLs and other semi-shitty generic wheels so i was hesitant to buy, since i know the quality of elite urethane. Sanbongi probably skates the original formula and likes it better, but idk.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #6144 on: January 25, 2023, 09:57:37 PM »
those single bearing wheels rattles like hell..the times when wheel brands went super crazy with their innovations.

elegant_fox

« Reply #6145 on: January 27, 2023, 05:20:52 PM »
Stopped by my local shop to pick up some X Bones in 56mm V6 and they hadn’t even heard of the x formula from bones yet. Thankfully they were able to order a set for me, but it definitely confirms the opinions that this wheel is flying under the radar so far.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6146 on: January 27, 2023, 06:07:55 PM »
Stopped by my local shop to pick up some X Bones in 56mm V6 and they hadn’t even heard of the x formula from bones yet. Thankfully they were able to order a set for me, but it definitely confirms the opinions that this wheel is flying under the radar so far.

I asked my local to order me some back in December.   I checked a few days later to see if he was able to get them and he had just ordered Dragons because he thought the X-97 were just the Bones branded Dragons.  I explained the difference and he didn't seem impressed.   I bought them at Tactics (also in town), and 5 weeks later he got some in.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6147 on: January 27, 2023, 11:23:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

99 duro F4s are my favorite wheels for transition, I ride the 58mm OG classics. They do well on crusty parks and slippery parks. The grip to slide ratio is perfect and the slide is predictable and controlled. There’s times where I’ve been hauling ass and lost traction but was still able to control it. Anytime that happened with SPFs I got pitched and ate shit hard. SPFs are way faster than F4s though

My favorite wheel is that purple og classic. Definitely the perfect bowl shape too.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #6148 on: January 28, 2023, 01:42:06 AM »
Anyone else tried both, dragon and bones x formula?
Recently I've bought bones x after riding dragons for 4 months.
To me the bones x feel like a harder and more sticky dragon wheel. They almost feel like a 99a oj elite or 99a stf. At least on the ground I ride them on. So far I'm not that impressed, but I've ridden them for 3 sessions only. They might change their feel once fully broken in / once I'm used to them.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #6149 on: January 28, 2023, 06:34:42 AM »
Anyone else tried both, dragon and bones x formula?
Recently I've bought bones x after riding dragons for 4 months.
To me the bones x feel like a harder and more sticky dragon wheel. They almost feel like a 99a oj elite or 99a stf. At least on the ground I ride them on. So far I'm not that impressed, but I've ridden them for 3 sessions only. They might change their feel once fully broken in / once I'm used to them.

I’ve been skating the dragon wheels for months and am one session in on the X formula. I like the feel of the X formula, but oddly enough they don’t seem to slide as well as the dragon formula for me.

The x seem less predictable when they do slide as well. Sometimes they grip and don’t budge, sometimes they slide out like ice, and there doesn’t seem to be a clear reason. The dragon predictably slide better on rougher black top (and some concrete) and grip on smoother street surfaces.

As far as feel, both are great. They feel softer than their duro indicates and keep speed well.

I’ll report back when I put more time into the x. The dragons haven’t changed at all in how they perform over time for me.