Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 783244 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6390 on: April 18, 2023, 04:47:43 PM »
Bought a new set of wheels from my local shop the other day and today when I was about to set them up I noticed this little defect on one of the wheels.

Is that air trapped in the urethane or something else? I have a chance to stop by the shop next weekend, but asking for slaps opinion because I would not want to return these if I dont have to. The Wheels are Spitfire Formula 4 Conical 101D.

Cheers!

Can you feel it when you run a fingernail over it if it?

Is it purely visual or does it have a different texture, or actual surface ripples?

At least taking a pic to show the shop is good.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

toe_knee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6391 on: April 19, 2023, 06:37:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried those new OJ Dual Durometer wheels?

I'm curious, but then again, this makes me think of the old school Darkstar dual durometers (that everyone rode backwards to show the cores) but then they sucked.
[close]

Or autobahn that has been doing dual duros since their inception, they suck too
[close]

I’ve skated a lot of ricta, and they’ve been mostly good. I use to skate the 103b 53mm David speed rings. Loved that wheel.

I have the 92a ricta clouds on my cruiser. They’re good. I imagine the OJs are just making OJ clouds now.

I’m currently skating SNOT wheels and really enjoying them. I’m pretty sure they’re just purple and teal autobahns
[close]

If I was gonna skate dual duro, it would prolly be the from the NHS camp, I don’t know though, I just remember really fucking hating the autobahns I’ve skated, I’d prolly just stick with a normal wheel and get the Kenny Anderson wheel condom he is currently developing, if I wanted to be able to cruise over shit and still be able to slide the way I want
[close]
Humidity has these up in their webstore now. $57 retail  :o
https://www.humiditynola.com/product-page/oj-prototype-double-durometer-wheels

Hahahaa nah I’m good, they do look lux though, better be with that price tag
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

fakienoseslide

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6392 on: April 19, 2023, 01:00:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Bought a new set of wheels from my local shop the other day and today when I was about to set them up I noticed this little defect on one of the wheels.

Is that air trapped in the urethane or something else? I have a chance to stop by the shop next weekend, but asking for slaps opinion because I would not want to return these if I dont have to. The Wheels are Spitfire Formula 4 Conical 101D.

Cheers!
[close]

Can you feel it when you run a fingernail over it if it?

Is it purely visual or does it have a different texture, or actual surface ripples?

At least taking a pic to show the shop is good.

It's  completely smooth on the surface. What it looked like first was that there would be air trapped under the surface and my worry was that after little riding the crumbly part would be exposed and ruin the ride.

Now when I think about it I dont know if it would make sense? I'm thinking maybe its like what intendedreceivers said that its just a issue with the color mixing with urethane and its just cosmetical defect. I've had few set of F4's previously and havent noticed this yet myself.

Anyways I set them up and I'll ride them. I can report back here if I run into some issues.

Thanks for the help slap pals!

pops

• Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6393 on: April 21, 2023, 01:46:33 AM »
Anyone else here who mostly rides softer wheels?
I've been on some 78/87a wheels for some time and I'm a big fan. Since I have ankle and knee issues I find that softer wheels help me skate much longer times and makes street skating much more tolerable. I'm more into cruising, curbs, slappies and transition (where I use 99a) because of my said issues. I've been thinking of getting some dragons/formula x in the future but not sure how they handle crustier spots.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #6394 on: April 21, 2023, 05:01:05 AM »
I've been on some 78/87a wheels for some time and I'm a big fan. Since I have ankle and knee issues I find that softer wheels help me skate much longer times and makes street skating much more tolerable. I'm more into cruising, curbs, slappies and transition (where I use 99a) because of my said issues. I've been thinking of getting some dragons/formula x in the future but not sure how they handle crustier spots.

I think the dragons in a wide shape are not super far from the feel of 87a wheels. The x formula feels more like a hard wheel with a bit more smoothness, far from cruiser vibes.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6395 on: April 21, 2023, 07:49:52 AM »

@tkp

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6396 on: April 21, 2023, 11:41:06 AM »
madness guy on the dual duro OJ's
https://www.instagram.com/p/CrRDbeatZLN/

no noseslides in sight
seem like a better in between than what they have currently like if you ride hot juice they will not last for slappys worth shit... these probably last longer but honestly i dont really see whats better with this than their like 95a or whatever they already offer. maybe its a bit more cruisery?

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6397 on: April 21, 2023, 11:46:36 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CrRDbeatZLN/

no noseslides in sight
seem like a better in between than what they have currently like if you ride hot juice they will not last for slappys worth shit... these probably last longer but honestly i dont really see whats better with this than their like 95a or whatever they already offer. maybe its a bit more cruisery?

He’s no longer madness guy right? He’s an arbor bro
You want some queso?”

freidnly guy

• Rep: 16
« Reply #6398 on: April 22, 2023, 03:36:25 PM »

no noseslides in sight
The outer duro is 101, 95 inner, so they will slide the same as the other oj 101s. I was curious for a second but not for $57.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #6399 on: April 22, 2023, 09:59:24 PM »
Remember back in the day when gimmicks were for children?

Sombrero

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6400 on: April 22, 2023, 11:36:56 PM »

52yo with torn meniscus here. Dragons are a godsend. Ricta Cloud 78a was great for my therapy phase and I still alternate to them to baby my knees. I had 97a G-Bones (64mm) and sessions lasted 30 mins max before I tapped out. 64mm Dragons were an immediate relief and it's hard to imagine that 97a VS 93a would be so dramatic.
I thought a middle ground between the Rictas and dragons would be a sweet spot so I tried OJ Keyframes 87a (58mm). They DID NOT feel soft at all compared to Dragons. Whatever that DF formula is- works. I'd love to try X-Formula if they make a 64mm cuz i'm kinda loving that size right now. *Also using OJ Juice Cubes for shock and compression sleeves for my knees. Only regret is not doing it sooner.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #6401 on: April 23, 2023, 02:35:13 PM »
I’m planning on trying out the new Double Duro OJ’s just for the hell of it. I don’t expect much, honestly. They’re gonna slide the same as Elite’s. I just wanna see if they actually work.

Also, got a set of Acid wheels for free. Anyone skate them? They look real basic, like nothing special about them. Curious though, because they were free, I will set them up on something so I can use them

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #6402 on: April 23, 2023, 03:01:02 PM »
I’m planning on trying out the new Double Duro OJ’s just for the hell of it. I don’t expect much, honestly. They’re gonna slide the same as Elite’s. I just wanna see if they actually work.

Also, got a set of Acid wheels for free. Anyone skate them? They look real basic, like nothing special about them. Curious though, because they were free, I will set them up on something so I can use them

Never skated them, thats who is making the new loopholes though, heard from an ex rider that they are pretty hard, prolly gonna give them a shot after I’m done with the F4s I’m skating 
You want some queso?”

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6403 on: April 23, 2023, 03:05:37 PM »
 I got wheel madness. Been  happy skating 55mm spit classics. Now about  54. Slipped out on a grind hurt my hip a few weeks ago. Since i slipped out I put conical regs on. Flip tricks take more effort and my kickflips/ barrel rolls are suffering. And things just don’t flip as easily. But feel secure in locking in. Little more work to get off coping and grinds but feels good when I’m in. Is there an in between shape that locks in like a conical and feels good for flip tricks like a classic? I got a set of 53 and 54 radials but they are 101. I’m debating on doing a side cut at work in the classics to make them like a bones v5

logjammin

• Rep: 323
« Reply #6404 on: April 23, 2023, 03:06:05 PM »
Normally I wouldn’t hate on a product that just hit the market without testing it but hasn’t NHS been pushing Rictas with a “dual duro” for years at a more normal price? That price tag is insane and I cannot find any justification in my mind. I doubt they will perform any better than how well dragons have been treating folks who want that softer duro. Fuck, formula fours have been going up in price and moved manufacturing out of the USA but at least they’re worth it.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 439
« Reply #6405 on: April 23, 2023, 05:27:42 PM »
I got wheel madness. Been  happy skating 55mm spit classics. Now about  54. Slipped out on a grind hurt my hip a few weeks ago. Since i slipped out I put conical regs on. Flip tricks take more effort and my kickflips/ barrel rolls are suffering. And things just don’t flip as easily. But feel secure in locking in. Little more work to get off coping and grinds but feels good when I’m in. Is there an in between shape that locks in like a conical and feels good for flip tricks like a classic? I got a set of 53 and 54 radials but they are 101. I’m debating on doing a side cut at work in the classics to make them like a bones v5

Lock-ins have that rounded edge on the outer and flat on the inside. Also tablets if you can find them.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6406 on: April 23, 2023, 10:47:20 PM »
Normally I wouldn’t hate on a product that just hit the market without testing it but hasn’t NHS been pushing Rictas with a “dual duro” for years at a more normal price? That price tag is insane and I cannot find any justification in my mind. I doubt they will perform any better than how well dragons have been treating folks who want that softer duro. Fuck, formula fours have been going up in price and moved manufacturing out of the USA but at least they’re worth it.

Ricta speed rings and chrome cores are one duro, just the core gimmick.

57$ for a Niché wheel shape? Pass.

rikki

• Rep: 264
« Reply #6407 on: April 23, 2023, 10:59:04 PM »

Radial 55mm 99s work for great for me as an all-around wheel. So far been happy with the lock in factor. Plus the wheel feels light.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #6408 on: April 23, 2023, 11:17:29 PM »
Do radial fulls only come in 97?

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #6409 on: April 24, 2023, 12:08:56 AM »
They occasionally come in 99a, but there probably aren't that many left out there right now
fuck you bama

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #6410 on: April 24, 2023, 03:51:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I'm curious, but then again, this makes me think of the old school Darkstar dual durometers (that everyone rode backwards to show the cores) but then they sucked.
[close]

[close]

I’ve skated a lot of ricta, and they’ve been mostly good. I use to skate the 103b 53mm David speed rings. Loved that wheel.

I have the 92a ricta clouds on my cruiser. They’re good. I imagine the OJs are just making OJ clouds now.

I’m currently skating SNOT wheels and really enjoying them. I’m pretty sure they’re just purple and teal autobahns
[close]

If I was gonna skate dual duro, it would prolly be the from the NHS camp, I don’t know though, I just remember really fucking hating the autobahns I’ve skated, I’d prolly just stick with a normal wheel and get the Kenny Anderson wheel condom he is currently developing, if I wanted to be able to cruise over shit and still be able to slide the way I want
[close]

Humidity has some of the best product descriptions.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #6411 on: April 24, 2023, 06:23:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They occasionally come in 99a, but there probably aren't that many left out there right now

Yeah I think they are between drops of normal 99s right now.

They first came out with the Kader smoke graphic in the big sizes (all long gone), then Eternals in 56 and 58 mm, of which there are still a few around, but not many.

Currently the 97 duro in 56 and 58 mm in the generic graphic.

Some more in various sizes in 99 coming out later in the year, from someone in the know.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Buster_Poosey

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6412 on: April 25, 2023, 03:35:43 PM »

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with them. They’re hard, got a good bark, they slide, and don’t flatspot easy. This doesn’t really apply to you since you got them for free, but they are the best wheels out at that price, IMO.

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #6413 on: April 27, 2023, 04:15:25 AM »
Do yall "bowl/park only riders" use anything besides Bones? I've been using for a week and can't possibly think of anything better than 84b SPFs, perfect lock-in, grip is insane and slides great. Almost pulled Spitfires but that would definitely not be it
:p

roll_dog

« Reply #6414 on: April 27, 2023, 06:28:43 AM »
Do yall "bowl/park only riders" use anything besides Bones? I've been using for a week and can't possibly think of anything better than 84b SPFs, perfect lock-in, grip is insane and slides great. Almost pulled Spitfires but that would definitely not be it

Bones SPFs are without a doubt their greatest wheel. I slapped spitfires on my setup because I wanted to be flexible with the terrain I skate but I think I'm exclusively a park skater now so I may have to go back.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1054
« Reply #6415 on: April 27, 2023, 08:12:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

OJ "Let me copy your homework"
Ricta "Okay, just change it so it doesn't look like you just copied it"
OJ

rikki

• Rep: 264
« Reply #6416 on: April 27, 2023, 10:00:24 AM »

I really like OJ Hardline 99s in bowls/parks. Fast as fuck and the width is great.

(Edit: SPF 84Bs rule of course, but I've grown to love the Hardlines as well.)

pops

• Rep: 234
« Reply #6417 on: April 27, 2023, 11:00:58 AM »
Expand Quote

no noseslides in sight
[close]
The outer duro is 101, 95 inner, so they will slide the same as the other oj 101s. I was curious for a second but not for $57.

Then how soft is OJs 95? Would these feel anything like a cruiser wheel? I haven't ridden their Nomads which are a 95, right?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #6418 on: April 27, 2023, 12:01:05 PM »
How are dragon wheels handling wet ground? Slip or grip?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6419 on: April 27, 2023, 01:10:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

OJ "Let me copy your homework"
Ricta "Okay, just change it so it doesn't look like you just copied it"
OJ

Except Ricta aren't dual duro, just cored.