Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 786876 times)

TheCrimsonShroud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 98
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6540 on: May 28, 2023, 10:29:28 AM »
I was bored waiting on my spits to come and threw some skate warehouse 100a on a board. I got these on a complete for my son a few years ago because they were free and I already had mini logo 90a for him. I’m actually pleasantly surprised by them. Trying to figure out who poured them.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #6541 on: May 28, 2023, 02:53:37 PM »
My friend who works for Powell gave me some bones x97s. They're 56mm, in a kinda classic shape. What are these wheels meant to be good for? He said they were grippy but slide good so I don't know, I'm going to try them on my slappy set up I think.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #6542 on: May 28, 2023, 03:07:49 PM »
My friend who works for Powell gave me some bones x97s. They're 56mm, in a kinda classic shape. What are these wheels meant to be good for? He said they were grippy but slide good so I don't know, I'm going to try them on my slappy set up I think.

Yous gotten spongsed! Cumgratulatioms!
I’ll never get free skate stuff, unless I find it in the trash bin at the park.
Are they the wide variety with a conical cut or more like a spitfire classic shape?
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6543 on: May 28, 2023, 03:10:31 PM »

They're great on rough surfaces, absorbs a lot of vibration and grips well while still easy to slide when you need them to.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6544 on: May 28, 2023, 07:17:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're great on rough surfaces, absorbs a lot of vibration and grips well while still easy to slide when you need them to.

I'd like to see the 93a & 97a formula in their full range of shapes, right now we have:

93a - V1, V4, V6
97a - V1, V5, V6
99a - V1 - V6
101a - V1 - V6

I'd like to see a V3 in 97a, a very skinny wheel in 97a would be wild.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 11:05:09 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #6545 on: May 28, 2023, 09:04:13 PM »
Are they the wide variety with a conical cut or more like a spitfire classic shape?

They're like a spitfire classic shape with rounded edges and not too wide.

I just tried them out skating an asphalt parking lot, these are way better than the spitifire 99 f4s i was riding for this kind of surface. Way grippier on the asphalt while still being hard enough to smash up into a curb and not bounce off. I'm a fan.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #6546 on: May 29, 2023, 06:48:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're like a spitfire classic shape with rounded edges and not too wide.

Expand Quote
[close]

I just tried them out skating an asphalt parking lot, these are way better than the spitifire 99 f4s i was riding for this kind of surface. Way grippier on the asphalt while still being hard enough to smash up into a curb and not bounce off. I'm a fan.

Thats Hella rad. You have a size/shape that didn’t make it to the shops. And if they skate good then what’s not to like.
I’m jonesing for them even more now. They’re supposed to slide and grip better than the current STF 99a.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6547 on: May 29, 2023, 12:29:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'd like to see the 93a & 97a formula in their full range of shapes, right now we have:

93a - V1, V4, V6
97a - V1, V5, V6
99a - V1 - V6
101a - V1 - V6

I'd like to see a V3 in 97a, a very skinny wheel in 97a would be wild.

I just want a 60mm V6 :'^(

rikki

• Rep: 280
« Reply #6548 on: May 30, 2023, 12:29:01 AM »
Peeps who have gone down from 55-56mm wheels to something like 52-53mm – is there a noticeable difference? I know they're going to be a bit slower when going big, but otherwise? How's the ollie? Or are the effects just very marginal and I'm overthinking this?

As a background, I've been skating mostly transition for the past couple of years with 55-56 wheels mostly, but now I've began to dabble more on flatground/curbs/ledges and it's gotten me thinking about smaller wheels. I ride 53.5mm height Indys and a "normal" wheelbase, if that's something to consider.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6549 on: May 30, 2023, 02:31:51 AM »
Peeps who have gone down from 55-56mm wheels to something like 52-53mm – is there a noticeable difference? I know they're going to be a bit slower when going big, but otherwise? How's the ollie? Or are the effects just very marginal and I'm overthinking this?

As a background, I've been skating mostly transition for the past couple of years with 55-56 wheels mostly, but now I've began to dabble more on flatground/curbs/ledges and it's gotten me thinking about smaller wheels. I ride 53.5mm height Indys and a "normal" wheelbase, if that's something to consider.

I guess my own experience definitely shows that smaller wheels work better on more street type stuff, coming from more transition based go fast 56 mm wheels, then finding that those wheels were just a bit big for the sort of smaller stuff I wanted to skate, so I would let a set wear down a lot more on a board and use that for the more tech stuff, rather than buying a smaller wheel, which was usually a lot more narrow and not quite what I wanted.

That said, a lot of people are riding wheels of about 52 mm or so - the most common wheel size in skateboarding for the reason that it is for street and tech, but can be used for everything as well.  Sure they are a bit slower and sometimes I feel like I just can't get going like I would on 56 mm wheels, but it's not like I need to go super fast for the more mellow street stuff I do anyway.

Regardless of the size or shape, it is more what you are used to and what will work best, but smaller wheels are generally easier to pop with and flip and do whatever else on if you do find that your usual wheels are making things harder for you.

For a lot of wheel shapes nowdays, you can easily get the same wheel in 52 or 53 mm as you would in 55 or 56 mm from most brands, not just Spitfire, Bones / Powell, OJs, but almost all the others which have a lot of those sizes, including Satori, SML wheel co, Loophole as per wheels I have seen or have had pass through my hands.

Edit:

The wheel size poll is interesting to see as well, 52 mm being the most common, then 53, then 54, then 56 mm sizes:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=126605.0

« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 02:41:30 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #6550 on: May 30, 2023, 05:16:53 AM »

I have two set ups, my “tech” one has 52s and my “barge shit” one has 56s. I always start the session with my tech setup and then towards the end will swap over to the deck with 56mm wheels, doesn’t really bother me too much but if I did it in the other order it probably would? You can get used to almost any setup though …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6551 on: May 30, 2023, 08:23:07 AM »
What do you guys like better, Bones X Formula, or Dragons?

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6552 on: May 30, 2023, 11:33:15 AM »
dragons, the x formula slide too much on wood

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #6553 on: May 30, 2023, 11:37:21 AM »
X  formula, but only because dragons suck for any pinched grinds.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6554 on: May 30, 2023, 11:27:29 PM »
I prefer the X Formulas because the feel more like the hard wheels I grew up on while still providing good impact absorption. Dragons are superior on very crusty terrain though, so I keep a set at the ready.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #6555 on: June 10, 2023, 10:40:00 AM »
What set of wheels that are still available are the most similar to OJ Little Doodies?

boneless900

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6556 on: June 10, 2023, 07:01:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been skating the 54mm v1 dragons for this slappy spot I made bc the shape feels a lot easier to get up the curb vs the v6 x formulas I have.

But after learning slappy crooks, I agree that the dragons don't really hold their speed on when pinched. Gonna go back to the wide cut bones x formulas :/ saving up for the v1 version

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6557 on: June 10, 2023, 09:56:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

^^

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6558 on: June 11, 2023, 09:12:39 AM »
Sir && showing off new 97a wheels that are about to drop. New x formula shape I guess.
He calls it the nano combo. Super round outside wall, covering the axle nut. Sharp lock in inside wall.
Apparently he's been wanting/testing them for 12 years
https://youtu.be/fgGGMgOVSWY?t=477

Edit: More information from instagram:
"they are 97a dragons"
"their gunna be called NanoCubics cause they comin out in 52mm"
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 09:19:42 AM by goodatmeth »

fernando the skater

• Rep: 106
« Reply #6559 on: June 11, 2023, 10:24:37 AM »
Sir && showing off new 97a wheels that are about to drop. New x formula shape I guess.
He calls it the nano combo. Super round outside wall, covering the axle nut. Sharp lock in inside wall.
Apparently he's been wanting/testing them for 12 years
https://youtu.be/fgGGMgOVSWY?t=477

Edit: More information from instagram:
"they are 97a dragons"
"their gunna be called NanoCubics cause they comin out in 52mm"

Look like a standard offset freestyle shape.

I know he's not the brightest, but if you're in Spain at least try a little bit of the language, even if it's just "hola", "gracias".

freidnly guy

• Rep: 16
« Reply #6560 on: June 11, 2023, 10:48:22 AM »
&& showing off new 97a wheels that are about to drop. New x formula shape I guess.
He calls it the nano combo
Looks cool if only because it's nice having your nuts protected. I have yet to try x97s, hopefully they come in 54.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6561 on: June 11, 2023, 11:48:08 AM »
So...a lock-in?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6562 on: June 11, 2023, 12:07:21 PM »
So...a lock-in?
Might be really similar to a lock in full

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #6563 on: June 11, 2023, 01:59:04 PM »
It’s not just about axel nuts….it’s about coconuts…

switchfakie

« Reply #6564 on: June 11, 2023, 06:17:10 PM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6565 on: June 11, 2023, 06:32:37 PM »
The lock in shape is kinda comical to me considering Spitfire has offered them for years and almost 0 of their pros actually ride them and they apparently don't sell well. It's a total grasping for straws concept. A radial will lock into some grinds slightly better than say a small classic, but I'd doubt an angled profile like a conical would be any different.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6566 on: June 12, 2023, 02:29:26 AM »
Eh I actually like Lock-ins, a lighter Conical with no loss of contact patch

Lock-in FULL however really can’t see the point. And they’ve rounded off the square edge too?? Damn I’d have sprung for a F497 in regular Lock-in shape if it existed and well I wasn’t getting plenty life still out of my conicals in that duro.

Gonna be hard to resist that AA wheel when it comes out, depending how x97 feels to me might finally have the elusive “one” wheel for all there.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6567 on: June 12, 2023, 10:38:46 AM »
Or the x99

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #6568 on: June 12, 2023, 12:09:25 PM »
Got a set of 54 lock in fulls for free recently and I'm shocked to say that I kinda like them.

Usually I skate classics or conicals, classic fulls/radial slims if I can find them, and occasionally OG classics. Conical fulls and lock ins I always thought were too chunky for me.

Surprisingly I haven't noticed significantly more drag on slides (and I'm riding thunders right now), and they definitely hold speed well on rough terrain and smooth out the ride compared to conicals. Pinch and lock in feel quite good too.

Thought they would mess with my flatground, but so far it hasn't seemed to and some tricks weirdly feel better. I can definitely tell that a lot of flip tricks feel different though so it definitely affects flatground to some degree. Pop feel is definitely heavier now which is a bit exhausting on a tired day though.

The wide look has kinda grown on me too. Dunno if I'd reach for these as my first option in the future, but its cool to find out that wide wheels work well for me too which is a pleasant surprise.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 65
« Reply #6569 on: June 12, 2023, 12:27:08 PM »
recently bought spitfire tablets to shake things up and have quickly realized that I just don’t like them all that much… I was riding radials before that and seriously miss them. Damn shame they got flat spotted to shit but i guess i’ll just make do with the tablets. Interesting reading about the lock in fulls though…