Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 789159 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7500 on: March 22, 2024, 12:33:07 PM »
Yeah I need a flame to tell me what’s cool…

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7501 on: March 22, 2024, 01:16:19 PM »
but dragons spit fire
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7502 on: March 22, 2024, 02:32:14 PM »
Dafuq?

Expand Quote

Some of us here have raved about the X-Formula wheels to the point of exhaustion, but it's been for a reason.
[close]

Oh I am aware and i largely ignored your raving due to my allegiance to san francisco. i freely admit i would not have tried these X 97s if they were not given to me. a very pleasant surprise. and i just learned they are made in ventura, another place dear to my heart.

in all honesty though, they've just got me more excited for the spitfire super slide 93s.

i also tried some of the powell g slides yesterday and i will be getting some of those for hill bombing, cruising, pump tracking applications as polite nod to george in santa barbara.

I seen testing on Dragon Skins before dragons dropped. You might wanna look at those. If they actually exist beyond YouTube downhill videos.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7503 on: March 22, 2024, 02:33:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Dafuq?

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Some of us here have raved about the X-Formula wheels to the point of exhaustion, but it's been for a reason.
[close]

Oh I am aware and i largely ignored your raving due to my allegiance to san francisco. i freely admit i would not have tried these X 97s if they were not given to me. a very pleasant surprise. and i just learned they are made in ventura, another place dear to my heart.

in all honesty though, they've just got me more excited for the spitfire super slide 93s.

i also tried some of the powell g slides yesterday and i will be getting some of those for hill bombing, cruising, pump tracking applications as polite nod to george in santa barbara.
[close]

I seen testing on Dragon Skins before dragons dropped. You might wanna look at those. If they actually exist beyond YouTube downhill videos.

Just got some G slides today. yellow 59mm 82a.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7504 on: March 22, 2024, 02:34:34 PM »
They do exist. 82a dragons 69mm
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7505 on: March 22, 2024, 03:13:25 PM »
They do exist. 82a dragons 69mm
cause if youre not fuckin, you definitely will be truckin
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #7506 on: March 22, 2024, 05:09:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

George does make an exceptional product for the most part.

The marketing and image is sometimes another thing entirely, but that is on someone else.

Never had an issue with the quality of Bones and Powell, but I think what often puts me off is the "old man army" and feverish allegiance to anything and everything they bring out.  Sure I could be right there in the thick of it, being almost fifty myself, but I just don't feel the hype like I did in my teen years riding Powell boards and wearing their gear, etc.

That said, I also more often than not blank DLX and other brand boards, take the graphic off Spitfire wheels and tend to wear plain tees, so it is more about what feels good to ride for me, not holding up a brand image.

Each to their own though.  Stoked to see people getting whatever they want and then being super keen to tell anyone / everyone about it.  Isn't that part of what this whole place is for anyway?!?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7507 on: March 22, 2024, 10:13:12 PM »
I set up the 99's and so far so good....happily surprised.  It could just be because they are new but noticeably a lot less pushing.  The way they slide is sort of weird, doesn't feel like they really bark, but that doesn't bother me, and the pop doesn't feel quite the same, but I think it's something I could get used to.  If you skate asphalt alot I'd recommend them.

boneless900

• Rep: 57
« Reply #7508 on: March 23, 2024, 10:47:56 AM »

Looks like the f4 93as are gonna be in radials. Also dmed a YouTuber that got some early and confirmed radial fulls as one of the shapes. Not sure about sizes yet but I think I'll grab a pair of radial fulls when they're out

Zane

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7509 on: March 23, 2024, 03:36:03 PM »

Looks like the f4 93as are gonna be in radials. Also dmed a YouTuber that got some early and confirmed radial fulls as one of the shapes. Not sure about sizes yet but I think I'll grab a pair of radial fulls when they're out
No, no radial fulls yet. 52, 53, and 54 Classics. 54, 56, and 58 Radials.

SkatingOnNeptune

• Rep: -19
« Reply #7510 on: March 23, 2024, 05:34:42 PM »
Posted this in the F4 thread, might be a better fit here. Just bought this new bloard: https://www.metalskateboards.com/products/cosmic-chaos-10-0. Basically it's gonna be a cruiser, might take it to some curbs. Right now I'm riding Spitfire F4 Conical Full 58mm and I really like them, probably my favorite wheel I've ever ridden. However, for this new set up I'm thinking about putting on some soft wheels for a different vibe. Thinking about getting the big ass 75mm OJ's, but I saw Spitfire makes a Superwide 80HD in 62mm. Curious if anyone has any experience with these and what your opinions are.

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7511 on: March 23, 2024, 05:42:31 PM »
X97s are the best street wheel. Period.

boneless900

• Rep: 57
« Reply #7512 on: March 24, 2024, 08:18:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
No, no radial fulls yet. 52, 53, and 54 Classics. 54, 56, and 58 Radials.
Appreciate the heads up, I'm gonna try and stock up on both so shapes in 54 when they're out. Just saw dadboards first impressions and they look promising

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7513 on: March 24, 2024, 08:39:34 AM »
Second session on the X formula 97s wasn't so amazing. Not really enjoying the dull cushioned landing (i know as an old man, I am supposed to) and the slide didn't feel as consistent or fun today. Also, hit a rough patch outside my house and slammed hard just pushing. Not the wheels fault but 52mm might be a bit too small for me. Going to give them away, I think.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #7514 on: March 24, 2024, 02:50:47 PM »
Second session on the X formula 97s wasn't so amazing. Not really enjoying the dull cushioned landing (i know as an old man, I am supposed to) and the slide didn't feel as consistent or fun today. Also, hit a rough patch outside my house and slammed hard just pushing. Not the wheels fault but 52mm might be a bit too small for me. Going to give them away, I think.

i really like my 52 v1s, i do like the cushion.
they don’t soak up road ugliness like the 55 dragons, or 56 radial fulls i’ve tried.
but the 52s look correct, and the board isn’t so darn heavy

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #7515 on: March 24, 2024, 03:57:26 PM »
My wife knows I like Sci Fi Fantasy and went on their site and surprised me with a set of the collaboration Sapphires they did.

Not something I would’ve bought for myself but I threw them on the big egg and they’re actually super fun. I was testing out a set of dragons prior, but despite being a lower durometer they feel much more responsive and less like a “soft wheel” than the dragons. Didn’t do any full powerslides yet but they scoot around pretty nice. If Spitfire can replicate/improve this feeling for the F4 93s they’ll have a huge hit on their hands for sure.

Bonus pic of the big egg - with the big softer 58s on this feels like an all terrain post-apocalypse style setup.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #7516 on: March 24, 2024, 11:51:56 PM »
My wife knows I like Sci Fi Fantasy and went on their site and surprised me with a set of the collaboration Sapphires they did.

Not something I would’ve bought for myself but I threw them on the big egg and they’re actually super fun. I was testing out a set of dragons prior, but despite being a lower durometer they feel much more responsive and less like a “soft wheel” than the dragons. Didn’t do any full powerslides yet but they scoot around pretty nice. If Spitfire can replicate/improve this feeling for the F4 93s they’ll have a huge hit on their hands for sure.

Bonus pic of the big egg - with the big softer 58s on this feels like an all terrain post-apocalypse style setup.

You have a rad wife. I don't need sapphires at all but ngl those look pretty sick

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7517 on: March 27, 2024, 12:21:28 AM »
I finally get the flat vs curved wheels difference for flip tricks after putting in some flatground time on the Bones V1 which are skinny and flat compared to a Classic.

6:18
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7518 on: March 27, 2024, 09:03:01 AM »
I’m coming off V2’s and something I noticed too and maybe it’s just visual, but they leave more truck exposed…..

sk4terX

• Rep: -33
« Reply #7519 on: March 27, 2024, 09:44:03 AM »
X97s are the best street wheel. Period.

*X99

Oog

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7520 on: March 27, 2024, 10:37:00 AM »
I finally get the flat vs curved wheels difference for flip tricks after putting in some flatground time on the Bones V1 which are skinny and flat compared to a Classic.

I mentioned this in the formula four thread but I have always heard that the rounded edge helps the board start flipping. Ben mentions in the video that he feels like he needs to be fully in the air for the board to start flipping with square edge wheels but your wheels are always off the ground when the board starts flipping. Your wheels come off the ground pretty much instantaneously as your tail makes contact with the ground then you still have to slide your foot and flick off the nose to start the rotation. I think rounded wheels of the same size might be lighter because they have less material but no one's kick flips are starting to flip while their wheels are still on the ground so I think it might just be a placebo.

This was the best video I could find of some slow motion kickflips. You can slow it down even more with the video settings and see he is a few inches off the ground before his foot has had time to flick. I think a smaller wheel size would have a larger effect on how easy flip tricks are.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7521 on: March 27, 2024, 11:28:39 AM »

Which do you prefer?

I don't buy into the rounded edge helps with flip tricks for the same reason @Oog mentioned (especially if you are popping - it ultimately comes down to technique. They do, however, have an effect on lip/curb/rail tricks.

Slappy example:

If I'm lazy on a backside 5050 with say, tablets or even OG classics, I will willy grind (back truck won't get up) but if I'm lazy with radials or classics, I just roll right up...however, if I'm lazy on the grind itself, I have more chance of slipping out with classics or radials than I do with tablets or OG classics...to add more complexity, the wider the truck with rounder wheels will see me slipping out way more at speed.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 01:57:23 PM by Xen »

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • sup dog
« Reply #7522 on: March 27, 2024, 01:16:50 PM »
Owner of my local shop just gifted me some 97a X formula Bones... guess, I now really have to try 'em before the F4 93s....

oh shit those X formulas 97s are good. they passed the blunt slide, lip slide, backside power slide and switch power slide tests and smashed through the rough stuff between my house and the spot... damn....

now if those 93a F4s are anything like these....

That was a great story.

I laughed, I cried.

What a roller coaster of emotion!

Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7523 on: March 27, 2024, 01:20:50 PM »
Oh it goes on. I set them back up for more punishment after already promising them to an Andy Anderson worshiping old guy at the indoor skatepark. Should probably start a Youtube channel....

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • sup dog
« Reply #7524 on: March 27, 2024, 02:34:26 PM »
Oh it goes on. I set them back up for more punishment after already promising them to an Andy Anderson worshiping old guy at the indoor skatepark. Should probably start a Youtube channel....
That sounds promising. Just go around disappointing old guys with promises of Andy Anderson completes with Cubics.

Make sure to also land every single trick they’re trying first try right in front of them, and just mean mug stare at them as you roll away. Point at them, too, for extra flair. Say things loudly like “man it must suck to be old! That was easy!”

They love that, too. ;D
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Dad Board

• Rep: 65
« Reply #7525 on: March 27, 2024, 03:49:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That sounds promising. Just go around disappointing old guys with promises of Andy Anderson completes with Cubics.

Make sure to also land every single trick they’re trying first try right in front of them, and just mean mug stare at them as you roll away. Point at them, too, for extra flair. Say things loudly like “man it must suck to be old! That was easy!”

They love that, too. ;D

Sorta unrelated but I wonder if those old skatepark guys love && so much because he’s what they hoped most modern pros would have become. Kinda like your dad always bringing up the neighbors kid because he goes to college while you work part time at a Quiznos.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7526 on: March 27, 2024, 06:46:10 PM »

I prefer the X97 over the X99, the latter has the signature click clack hardness that Bones 103a has but slightly more forgiving. Would like to try them again in the V5 instead of the skinnier V1.

Expand Quote

[close]

Which do you prefer?

I don't buy into the rounded edge helps with flip tricks for the same reason @Oog mentioned (especially if you are popping - it ultimately comes down to technique. They do, however, have an effect on lip/curb/rail tricks.

Slappy example:

If I'm lazy on a backside 5050 with say, tablets or even OG classics, I will willy grind (back truck won't get up) but if I'm lazy with radials or classics, I just roll right up...however, if I'm lazy on the grind itself, I have more chance of slipping out with classics or radials than I do with tablets or OG classics...to add more complexity, the wider the truck with rounder wheels will see me slipping out way more at speed.

I prefer a rounder edge wheel - with the square edge wheel it's less forgiving on the flip technique, even though I did land some of my best kickflips in recent memory with them. Flat edge wheels did lock in better for grinds but the slow down was very noticeable.

You talking about round vs flat edges for slappys has put some madness in my head. Doing my first proper slappy session in months and I'm contemplating going back to X97 V5, or even F4 99a Classics.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7527 on: March 27, 2024, 08:55:04 PM »
I gotta be honest, the rounded wheels did wonders for my crop dusting flip trick game....

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #7528 on: March 27, 2024, 09:11:08 PM »
Round wheels definitely climb better for slappies, but sometimes easier to overshoot.

As far as pinching goes, I feel like a round wheel is better on a sharp edge, but if you're crooking a rounded curb or concrete ledge, sometimes a square wheel holds it a bit better. If I 5050 a round rail on round wheels the cross pinch feels more natural, but with really square wheels theres a bigger chance ill end up doing double heel lock.

Flip tricks definitely work different. Recently went from 55 og classics (basically didn't shrink at all) to 55 classics and scoopy tricks felt immediately different, had to adjust and scoop my tres less pop down more instead. All straight flip tricks also felt like they worked a little easier. Not sure what the cause is, but probably not weight since 55 classics and og classics weigh basically the same, and its not height, but its definitely noticeable if you pay attention to it

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7529 on: March 28, 2024, 12:21:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I prefer the X97 over the X99, the latter has the signature click clack hardness that Bones 103a has but slightly more forgiving. Would like to try them again in the V5 instead of the skinnier V1.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Which do you prefer?

Slappy example:

[close]

I prefer a rounder edge wheel - with the square edge wheel it's less forgiving on the flip technique, even though I did land some of my best kickflips in recent memory with them. Flat edge wheels did lock in better for grinds but the slow down was very noticeable.

You talking about round vs flat edges for slappys has put some madness in my head. Doing my first proper slappy session in months and I'm contemplating going back to X97 V5, or even F4 99a Classics.

V5 is the best of all of them with a slight curve to the lip to get on straight cutaway face to lock in.