Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777791 times)

moonordie and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dr Steve Brule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2014, 08:20:09 PM »
I've been skating Spitfire Classics for almost 8 years now.  Just bought a set of the F4 Conicals. 

What are the pros to defferent shapes?
For Your Health

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »
I've been skating Spitfire Classics for almost 8 years now.  Just bought a set of the F4 Conicals. 

you get the conical or conical fulls? the local JUST for F4's after i made a comment on Jim T's instagram- kinda dope they listened and sent a few sets of the F4's in the last two DLX shipments.

But to answer your question - granted like I stated above i skated some flat and curb so the main difference i noticed with the wider riding surface was it felt nicer power sliding.

I'd like to hear yours as well as others feedback from the switch to a classic shaped - i think there already a few on his thread.  Cheers!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2014, 10:20:29 AM »
I almost picked these up yesterday at the local shop based on shape alone.  So sick.

But I usually like to run 100A or harder during the winter here.  I still may do it.

TehPwnzorer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2014, 12:05:06 PM »

Classic shape is classic shape... The conical shape is supposed to give you more of a lock in shape with more grip. Even more with full edition.

I've got classic, conical full and waiting for the regular conicals to arrive. Tbh I don't notice much of a difference. They feel pretty much the same gripping wise. No matter the riding surface, they still slide. Pretty much like Aces still turn no matter how much you tighten them. I've also always liked lock in shapes better. Doesn't effect my skating, just looks more pleasing I guess.

Only noticeable difference is that conical fulls kinda makes the hanger feel less wide than it actually is. That's why I'm waiting for regular conicals atm for my 139s while using the full edt on my 149s (149s too big for me. Those wheels makes em feel like 8.25 trucks)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:08:16 PM by TehPwnzorer »

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2014, 01:23:10 PM »
Expand Quote
I just got a set of spit F4 Conicals and their shape is nearly identical to the set of STF V5's I have.
Dimensions are really close also.

[close]

I lost my set of Spitfire f4s conical fulls 101a (and the board they were on, bye, bye brand new Indys) and I miss them. Currently riding my 55mm wrecks as the Pis feel too big for street.

Spent too much on indys and f4s to go out and buy a new set so soon - F4s are too good (but I really want to try a set of the STF V5s, love that shape).

mini logo just came out with a-cuts in smaller sizes 51 and 53 , it says they're the same shape as v5 and only 20 bucks. i think i might try them next time i need wheels

http://minilogoskateboards.com/mini-logo-a-cut-wheel-51mm-4pk
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:25:21 PM by wallieD »

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
I almost picked these up yesterday at the local shop based on shape alone.  So sick.

But I usually like to run 100A or harder during the winter here.  I still may do it.

i usually skate 101 A wheels, im skating the Garcia SML wheels from the same series and they feel harder than any 101 i have skated in the past.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2014, 12:12:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just got a set of spit F4 Conicals and their shape is nearly identical to the set of STF V5's I have.

[close]

I lost my set of Spitfire f4s conical fulls 101a (and the board they were on, bye, bye brand new Indys) and I miss them. Currently riding my 55mm wrecks as the Pis feel too big for street.

Spent too much on indys and f4s to go out and buy a new set so soon - F4s are too good (but I really want to try a set of the STF V5s, love that shape).

[close]

mini logo just came out with a-cuts in smaller sizes 51 and 53 , it says they're the same shape as v5 and only 20 bucks. i think i might try them next time i need wheels

Ive seen these Minilogo wheels for mad cheap over here. They have some 101A wheels, are they the same as Bones STFs? Cause that is all I skate, but the Minilogo wheels are 16?, which is like 50% of what the STFs cost over here. I know its all Powell, but do they use the same urethane for all wheels? Or are Minilogos way worse?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2014, 12:27:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ive seen these Minilogo wheels for mad cheap over here. They have some 101A wheels, are they the same as Bones STFs? Cause that is all I skate, but the Minilogo wheels are 16?, which is like 50% of what the STFs cost over here. I know its all Powell, but do they use the same urethane for all wheels? Or are Minilogos way worse?
minilogos are good but they can flatspot more easily than STF

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2014, 12:34:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
minilogos are good but they can flatspot more easily than STF

Thanks man. I can deal with flatspots /especially if the wheels are 16 euros/, but are they the same hardness? Because I love how STFs feel, and I remember other 101A wheels getting softer after some time, or just not being, you know, like STFs.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2014, 11:46:30 AM »
it's been years since my last set of minilogos, but i remember them as hard wheels(maybe 100-101a), and they didn't turn yellow so it must be some kind of bones formula....

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2014, 06:58:41 PM »
I'm a fan of the Autobahn Torus shape so I gave these new 83B a try. Really nice wheels, smooth and fast, but they feel a little grippier than the 100A version.

Both B rated wheels I've skated (Satori Guru and these) definitely seem to skate a little grippier, which is odd considering they are harder.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »
I'm a fan of the Autobahn Torus shape so I gave these new 83B a try. Really nice wheels, smooth and fast, but they feel a little grippier than the 100A version.

Both B rated wheels I've skated (Satori Guru and these) definitely seem to skate a little grippier, which is odd considering they are harder.

I've skated my fare share of AB wheels and no matter the duro, they are all grippy. Nothing slides like STFs or the king of powerslides, Spit F4s!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:23:50 PM by Xen »

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2014, 02:28:37 PM »
My ABX's seem to slide fine, I'm really feeling them!

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2014, 02:34:25 PM »
Nice BBK! Glad you are digging them.

Like I mentioned to you before, the ABX is the wheel that I always find myself going back to. If given the ultimatum to only skate the same wheels, that would be my choice.

I've skated my fare share of AB wheels and no matter the duro, they are all grippy. Nothing slides like STFs or the king of powerslides, Spit F4s!

Have you skated SML wheels? They slide so easily that they actually take some adjusting to. When I first got on them I was sliding out from everything and it was starting to freak me out. After you figure out how to handle them, they are killer. SML wide shape are probably a close second for me to Autobahn wheels. The thing I like best about Autobahn is they are a great mix of slide and a touch of grip for control.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:39:42 PM by heritage »

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2014, 04:11:16 PM »
I'd love to track down a set of Broadcasts in 53/54 but it seems way tougher to do than it should be. Anyone skating them? I've had PFCs for the last two go-rounds and as much as in love these 53.5 gores I'm looking to switch it up a bit next time.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »
I'd love to track down a set of Broadcasts in 53/54 but it seems way tougher to do than it should be. Anyone skating them? I've had PFCs for the last two go-rounds and as much as in love these 53.5 gores I'm looking to switch it up a bit next time.

Hey Satch - I have a brand new set of Broadcast Crop Circles 53MM still in the shrink if you are interested.

If you are in the States I would send them your way for $24 shipped. Let me know.

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2014, 08:02:40 PM »
Really wanted to try out Gold Wheels and couldn't bring myself to buying 35 dollar pro wheels so I bought their "price points" (actual name) for like 20 something bucks. Interested to see how they are since they have such a stacked team but no one really skates them. I'll keep you guys updated.

42mm

• Rep: -5
  • no shame in my game
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2014, 10:21:07 AM »
Im on my third set of the 99a Formula 4s and I have no desire to ride any other wheel.

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2014, 08:24:41 PM »
Im on my third set of the 99a Formula 4s and I have no desire to ride any other wheel.

Truth.  I bought a new complete tonight because I bent an axle on my Thunders and despite all the other options I went with what I know works.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2014, 03:45:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hey Satch - I have a brand new set of Broadcast Crop Circles 53MM still in the shrink if you are interested.

If you are in the States I would send them your way for $24 shipped. Let me know.

Thanks for the offer. I may not be skating much of anything for the next few months from the looks of the weather :-( . I'll let you know if I change my mind. You have too many wheels!

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the offer. I may not be skating much of anything for the next few months from the looks of the weather :-( . I'll let you know if I change my mind. You have too many wheels!

No worries Satch! Anytime brother. And you are right, I do have way too many wheels. I've been back to just Autobahn and SML only. Both of those companies make such nice wheels, and super good dudes running both companies.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2014, 08:21:03 AM »
Oh man, black friday sales got the best of me and now I have even more wheels on the way. I finally pulled the trigger on some PFCs.

I am right there with you Clamy. I went overboard with Autobahn's sale and also grabbed a set of Paradise Wheels - Renaud 53.

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »
New sml D&D series.  Will have to get a set of these.

Randozzi

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2014, 09:08:20 AM »
for anyone interested, Prize Fighter has free shipping until x-mass.
http://www.prizefightercutlery.com/shop/

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2014, 01:16:43 PM »
Got a set of these in the mail (55.5mm):

http://spitfirewheels.com/keepingtheundergroundlit/

I'm a bit bummed that the wheels don't match the specs on the website.

The website says the 55.5s are 32.5 wide - almost identical to the 54 conicals at 32.2mm wide. If they were essentially the same width I figured I'd get the KTULs because the first Millimeter goes rather quickly and I'd rather have a bigger wheel for park duty.

However, the KTUL packaging says "Classic Shape"
Height | width
54   | 33.5
58   | 37

I don't have calipers but eyeballing it with a ruler the KTULs are just under 35mm wide. With the same ruler my OJs (spec'ed at 32 wide) look 32.5. So yeah, I'm bitching about 2mm but with an 8" truck a narrower wheel is noticeable. I really liked the size and conical shape of my OJ "surfers on acid" wheels but they were just a bit too mushy.

I guess the KTULs are a different mold than the regular F4s Classic Shape because those are supposedly 36w at 55mm. I just wish the KTULs were closer to the advertised size. They feel like a bigger, heavier wheel than what I've been riding.

Wish they made the slim conicals one size taller...

N.L.

« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2014, 03:46:25 PM »
This is where too much OCD can really paralyze a man.

They are good fucking wheels and the contact patch will get wider as the wheel wears down to your preferred 54mm.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2014, 06:21:42 PM »
I know it's silly. I just wish they were not wider than advertised.

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2014, 05:47:40 AM »
Anyone have experience with Paradise? Thinking about getting some of Danny Renauds wheels.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2014, 06:11:40 AM »
Anyone have experience with Paradise? Thinking about getting some of Danny Renauds wheels.

Yes. They are great wheels. I am riding the Renaud's right now. Listed as 101 but give a really smooth ride and slide when you want.

Chesapeake Bay

• Rep: 5
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2014, 06:41:41 AM »
My whole life I've skated Spitfire and I thought I'd just keep rolling with those, but I scooped up these Pusher 56mm wheels yesterday & I'm stoked to try them.