Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777623 times)

Bensquirts (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #510 on: January 17, 2017, 09:11:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ha, I wanted to ask about these too (was just thinking about it this morning). I'm interested in the 101's though. Love the retro shape, but I'm worried that reg OJ formula will suck (only tried the insane-a-thanes, but I like those a lot).

I think 95a is kind of hit or miss on weather or not they'll be fast. Those would be sick for skating a slippery indoor park though.

Did Santa Cruz stop making 97a Slime Balls in smaller sizes? I can only find the 60mm+ ones now. If I could find those in like 54-56, would be perfect.
[close]

I commented on those in FB when they announced them; they regular old slo oj than, not insane a thane.

No more Slimeballs in smaller sizes either.

Damn, i was looking for a cruiser that slid so I didn't have to stick my foot out to stop or slow down.
Wasn't totally stoked on the Insane-a-thane formula either.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #511 on: January 17, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
Who else is riding wayward? I'm on the 52 Bledsoe slims and.... I can't tell the difference from my last set of F4 52mm slims.

I tried that exact set for a few days and they do in fact feel like 99a f4s too me, that is to say, slow in parks but fantastic on rough streets, really great shape and easy slides too.

Abyss1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #512 on: January 17, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
Alright guys ive switched over from street skating to hill bombing.  After 3 weeks of bombing and little power sliding (40 miles total) my spitfire classics are toasted ...They started conning after a week and a half. 

What you hill bombers using to keep from buying wheels every month

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #513 on: January 17, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »
Alright guys ive switched over from street skating to hill bombing.  After 3 weeks of bombing and little power sliding (40 miles total) my spitfire classics are toasted ...They started conning after a week and a half. 

What you hill bombers using to keep from buying wheels every month

Just get F4's, the old classics don't hold up well. The 101's are faster and wear better, but they're sketchy in some situations.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #514 on: January 17, 2017, 11:49:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Who else is riding wayward? I'm on the 52 Bledsoe slims and.... I can't tell the difference from my last set of F4 52mm slims.
[close]

I tried that exact set for a few days and they do in fact feel like 99a f4s too me, that is to say, slow in parks but fantastic on rough streets, really great shape and easy slides too.

yep, wayward skate very very very similar to formula 4 ... they a just a tad wider than the standard F4 classic
hardly art, hardly starving

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #515 on: January 18, 2017, 10:00:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ha, I wanted to ask about these too (was just thinking about it this morning). I'm interested in the 101's though. Love the retro shape, but I'm worried that reg OJ formula will suck (only tried the insane-a-thanes, but I like those a lot).

I think 95a is kind of hit or miss on weather or not they'll be fast. Those would be sick for skating a slippery indoor park though.

Did Santa Cruz stop making 97a Slime Balls in smaller sizes? I can only find the 60mm+ ones now. If I could find those in like 54-56, would be perfect.
[close]

I commented on those in FB when they announced them; they regular old slo oj than, not insane a thane.

[close]

Damn, i was looking for a cruiser that slid so I didn't have to stick my foot out to stop or slow down.

If you find a cruiser wheel that slides, let me know - still eyeing those g-slides...

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #516 on: January 18, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you find a cruiser wheel that slides, let me know - still eyeing those g-slides...

60 or 64mm 87a Powell Bomber 3s

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #517 on: January 18, 2017, 01:32:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yep, wayward skate very very very similar to formula 4 ... they a just a tad wider than the standard F4 classic

Nice to know! Gonna grab a set online soon. Who knows if my locals will be getting WW any time soon....
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #518 on: January 18, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn man were hubbas actually any good? I remember wanting those Shake Junt swirls but never pulled the trigger.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #519 on: January 18, 2017, 10:38:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn man were hubbas actually any good? I remember wanting those Shake Junt swirls but never pulled the trigger.

Might end up picking up the G Slides to try them out.

As for Hubba, I got into skateboarding a little after they ended but they deserve to comeback...or at least make a calendar or anything with their models. You know what, f-it I'd cop the wheels and a tee (that just has their logo as an inside joke). I swear it on our lord and skate-vior Fred Gall.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

calvinsdream

« Reply #520 on: January 19, 2017, 08:22:52 AM »
I grabbed a set of 53mm Spitfire Hypno swirl 99a wheels (blue).  I had been riding 55mm wheels and wanted to try to size down a little.  I skate parks and mini ramps most of the time (41 year old and not that good).  Even though these are 99a, they don't have much grip.  I almost got a concussion at the park yesterday.  I slipped out making a turn to go down a flat ramp and slammed hard at the bottom.  My head bounced off the pavement (luckily the place requires helmets and I have a good one.)   It freaked the old man out who was monitoring the place (YMCA park) It was a gnarly looking slam I'm sure, but I was okay and got right up.  Luckily it just rang my bell.  I kept skating but after a couple more slip outs, I took those wheels off and went back to my old ones.  They felt good rolling, but they're just too slick!  I think these Hypno's are original formula, not formula 4's.

Hypno's are the branded knock offs that only zumiez seems to sell.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #521 on: January 19, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »
Expand Quote
I grabbed a set of 53mm Spitfire Hypno swirl 99a wheels (blue).  I had been riding 55mm wheels and wanted to try to size down a little.  I skate parks and mini ramps most of the time (41 year old and not that good).  Even though these are 99a, they don't have much grip.  I almost got a concussion at the park yesterday.  I slipped out making a turn to go down a flat ramp and slammed hard at the bottom.  My head bounced off the pavement (luckily the place requires helmets and I have a good one.)   It freaked the old man out who was monitoring the place (YMCA park) It was a gnarly looking slam I'm sure, but I was okay and got right up.  Luckily it just rang my bell.  I kept skating but after a couple more slip outs, I took those wheels off and went back to my old ones.  They felt good rolling, but they're just too slick!  I think these Hypno's are original formula, not formula 4's.
[close]

Hypno's are the branded knock offs that only zumiez seems to sell.

Yep, that explains it then.  I jokingly put "I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card" as my signature, and I ended up getting a freakin' gift card for the place for Christmas.   I thought I'd give those a try since it wasn't costing me anything.  I liked the feel of the size the wheels were, but they're just too slick for where I skate. 
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

N.L.

« Reply #522 on: January 19, 2017, 09:25:25 AM »
Smaller wheels can seem like they have less grip sometimes (less surface area) and also wheels need to be broken in. I like to bomb some hills before I hit the park with my wheels. Freshies can feel a little unpredictable...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #523 on: January 19, 2017, 06:31:23 PM »
Smaller wheels can seem like they have less grip sometimes (less surface area) and also wheels need to be broken in. I like to bomb some hills before I hit the park with my wheels. Freshies can feel a little unpredictable...

There was an article (can't find it) that has Brofessor Schmitt talking about how thinner wheels are just as grippy, if not more, to a point (my guess is at breakaway :P

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #524 on: January 19, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There was an article (can't find it) that has Brofessor Schmitt talking about how thinner wheels are just as grippy, if not more, to a point (my guess is at breakaway :P

Yeah, there was something in one of these threads.. People were saying that width and duro # end up evening out where grip is concerned. But then people say that wider wheels stick more on slides.

Now we hear thinner wheels could be more grippy? I've always felt like wider wheels stay stuck to the ground better. I don't know what to think.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:53:27 PM by Zimmer »

N.L.

« Reply #525 on: January 19, 2017, 07:14:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, there was something in one of these threads.. People were saying that width and duro # end up evening out where grip is concerned. But then people say that wider wheels stick more on slides.

Now we hear thinner wheels could be more grippy? I've always felt like wider wheels stay stuck to the ground better. I don't know what to think.

George Powell argues that thinner wheels can be grippier in that once wider wheels slide out its harder to bring them back under control. Or some shit like that... But all this must depend on the urethane formula also...

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #526 on: January 19, 2017, 07:30:14 PM »
Physics: surface area does not affect friction. Might seem counterintuitive at first but that's just the way it is.

Wonderful Whizzplank

• Rep: 8
« Reply #527 on: January 20, 2017, 10:46:37 AM »
Physics: surface area does not affect friction. Might seem counterintuitive at first but that's just the way it is.

Same weight acting on smaller surface area = more pressure, you can probably extrapolate this into deciphering how different widths suit different things, but it's late and I don't wanna think.
Total newbie

Alotoflizards

• Rep: 0
« Reply #528 on: January 20, 2017, 12:32:58 PM »
I've been skating the "Rollriguez" from Pusher wheels. I skate really rough gravel and concrete pretty often and these have held up very well for the few months I've had em. My next wheels are most likely going to be F4's. Been wondering what it's like to skate the conical ones...would they make certain trucks harder maybe? Either way, I adapt to whatever setup I'm skating.. for example my last pair of shoes was too big and I could barely do flip tricks, so I've been skating a lot more tranny
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:35:58 PM by Alotoflizards »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #529 on: January 22, 2017, 08:14:31 PM »
I've been skating ricta speed rings for a while. I've had a few pairs and I really like them.
I'm interested in either some Autobahn's or some welcome orbs.

What do you guys think?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #530 on: January 22, 2017, 11:30:50 PM »
do most of you guys who prefer formula fours skate parks more than street?
yes

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #531 on: January 23, 2017, 02:06:42 PM »

I kinda like the 101's best for both. 99's are good for the rougher streets but I just use 101's everywhere now.. I thought they'd be too slippery for indoor parks but they're fine even where it's too slippery to push properly, I don't know how they do it.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #532 on: January 23, 2017, 02:10:36 PM »
I use the 99A and skate parks almost exclusively

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #533 on: January 23, 2017, 08:23:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I kinda like the 101's best for both. 99's are good for the rougher streets but I just use 101's everywhere now.. I thought they'd be too slippery for indoor parks but they're fine even where it's too slippery to push properly, I don't know how they do it.

Expand Quote
[close]
I use the 99A and skate parks almost exclusively

yeah i was wondering cause the thing is i basically skate street exclusively and its all pavement, asphault, sidewalks and such and i just notice bones stf feel much more smoothly than fours, i thought maybe everyone whos really digging fours even after giving stfs a try again only really prefer the fours overall because they do more park skating and very little cruising the rough streets/the fours just feel better in parks

i havent skated a park in months but idk, cant get fours feeling good ever since i noticed how nicely smooth and fast bones stf are on street. and ive tried all the mainstream stuff, almost all formula four shapes in 99a, the conical 101, ricta nrg pro wheels, gold, pig, spitfire classics, oj reg 99a, oj insnae a thane 101, and bones stf. i wanna try those cutlery wheels but hmmm....
yes

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #534 on: January 23, 2017, 09:57:14 PM »
I skate as transportation when there isn't two feet of snow on the ground with 101 f4's and then when I actually skate it's mainly park. I preferred Ricta NRG's when skating on rough streets for sure.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #535 on: January 23, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »
for street cruising, so far my favorites are Bones ATFs. I've tried G-slides and Clouds but both felt too chalky and heavy to me and did not make for a smooth enough ride on really rough spots. anyone who's familiar with the ATFs - what's another good wheel that rides like them?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #536 on: January 24, 2017, 01:48:39 AM »
for street cruising, so far my favorites are Bones ATFs. I've tried G-slides and Clouds but both felt too chalky and heavy to me and did not make for a smooth enough ride on really rough spots. anyone who's familiar with the ATFs - what's another good wheel that rides like them?

aha i think nothing beats skateone/bones experience and history in skateboard wheels ingenuity, i tried spitfire 80hds, i have some random kryptonics cruiser wheels i found and nothing ive felt on any cruiser was as good as my stolen and lost bones atf, even when i rode them from 54 to 52/51 they were still fast and rolled far, the quality was always consistent, and i rode them in rain several times. oj III are nice but i felt they get slower and over time just start sucking when they shave down and the urethane gets stale.
yes

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #537 on: January 25, 2017, 12:12:13 AM »
Got some Pusher 54mm conicals 99A and some of the Matt Rodriguez 80B Pusher models.
interested to try the softer formula conical shape, should help with the crusty spots.
Exited to try the Matt Rod's out when those are done.

nigga_please

• Rep: -29
« Reply #538 on: January 25, 2017, 05:09:45 PM »
Just decided to try this new Crupie wheels and i'm fucking impressed. It's been 10 days it's better than the bones STF I had before.
For $28 I got a 52mm Tiago Lemos wheel and I highly recommend.

Alotoflizards

• Rep: 0
« Reply #539 on: January 25, 2017, 05:58:44 PM »
Got some Pusher 54mm conicals 99A and some of the Matt Rodriguez 80B Pusher models.
interested to try the softer formula conical shape, should help with the crusty spots.
Exited to try the Matt Rod's out when those are done.

Youre gonna love em they slide like crazy.. I was wondering if anybody has tried out satori wheels recently? I'm expecting a set of these tomorrow
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:01:45 PM by Alotoflizards »