Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778198 times)

full of jerks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #810 on: October 07, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
The v5s are wider because of the lip of the wheel, supposedly to help you roll over the coping and lock in for bowls; only difference in the cut and 'function' compared to the V2.

Riding 52mm V5s in a transition focused park atm - most people here ride SPF P5s (very close in shape as the V5s but a tad less round on the lip).

I'm trying to find the SPF P1s in 53mm but they're discontinued and tough to find to have some smaller SPFs as wearing down bigger ones takes forever.

https://www.skateamerica.com/products/bones-strokes-spf-v1-skateboard-wheels-black-53mm-set-of-4?variant=14786325574

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #811 on: October 07, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »
Expand Quote
The v5s are wider because of the lip of the wheel, supposedly to help you roll over the coping and lock in for bowls; only difference in the cut and 'function' compared to the V2.

Riding 52mm V5s in a transition focused park atm - most people here ride SPF P5s (very close in shape as the V5s but a tad less round on the lip).

I'm trying to find the SPF P1s in 53mm but they're discontinued and tough to find to have some smaller SPFs as wearing down bigger ones takes forever.
[close]

https://www.skateamerica.com/products/bones-strokes-spf-v1-skateboard-wheels-black-53mm-set-of-4?variant=14786325574

You the real MVP.

Gave waywards another chance using some swiss six and no spacers so they are not clamped down, feel much better and not as soft in a smooth park setting...got a few digs/small chunks missing on the riding surface from my last street session, really annoying sounding in a smooth park tho :\
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 05:56:34 PM by Xen »

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #812 on: October 11, 2017, 09:13:59 AM »
Wanted to try a wider wheel so I Got some 54,101 conical fulls. First 2 sessions had me feeling kinda "meh" about em because they felt clunky locking in to grinds compared to my 54mm Crupies but yesterday I had a pretty good session on them so the verdicts still out. I was originally gonna get some 53mm lock-ins and I still kinda feel like maybe I shoulda grabbed those instead now since but we'll see...I love my Crupies tho I'm gonna have to grab some Tiago wheels at some point for sure

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #813 on: October 11, 2017, 03:37:32 PM »
Just managed to powerslide of a quite deep crater that appeared after skating some angle iron (my local park meh). It initially evolved into a shallower crater surrounded by flatspot but eventually that went away too and im now left with a slightly smaller but greatly smoother wheel. Super stoked because last time I tried this was ages ago and was a kinda different situation, only had a small flatspot then.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:50:13 PM by Esquivel »
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

ontheswarm

« Reply #814 on: October 11, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
Just got the conical full formula fours. Had the mike anderson wheel before and different variations so I'm curious to see how they are.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #815 on: October 11, 2017, 04:23:29 PM »
Just got the conical full formula fours. Had the mike anderson wheel before and different variations so I'm curious to see how they are.

How did you like the mike Anderson sfw? I've been waffling on whether to get them for like 3-4 months.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #816 on: October 11, 2017, 04:41:00 PM »
Over the past two days of park skating I've put flat spots (and taken out a chunk) on waywards (doing reverts) and my stfs (re-learning F/S bigspins off a bank and I'd slide the full rotation). Fucking pissed. I'm sure they'd ride out if I did more 'real street' but still...

Just can't stand the bdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdbdb sound on smooth crete back to OJs until I flat those on bigspins or whatever.

ontheswarm

« Reply #817 on: October 11, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How did you like the mike Anderson sfw? I've been waffling on whether to get them for like 3-4 months.

Been a long time but they were a really good wheel but they don't last as long as formula fours.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #818 on: October 11, 2017, 10:14:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Conical full are the F4 mandersons, if you like the formula go with those. Otherwise the SFWs are just boxy shaped classics

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #819 on: October 16, 2017, 03:34:57 AM »
been skating some stf v5s for over a year now, well due a new set. really enjoyed the stfs but i'm just wondering if it's worth giving spfs, formula fours, or even something from speedlab a shot.

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #820 on: October 16, 2017, 08:14:06 AM »
If you skate a lot of tranny, the grip to speed ratio of SPFs is unparalleled. Formula fours are sick on crusty spots, but I find them kind of sluggish at the park. Though they slide really well. I never tried Speedlabs, but I kinda wanna get some of their 97a for indoor park season.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #821 on: October 16, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »
caved and got some 53mm formula fours on sale for £25 quid, worst comes to worst if i dont like them ill sell them on and try something else. all i rode for years were spitfire classics then changed to stfs and it was a whole new world

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #822 on: October 16, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
caved and got some 53mm formula fours on sale for £25 quid, worst comes to worst if i dont like them ill sell them on and try something else. all i rode for years were spitfire classics then changed to stfs and it was a whole new world

F4s and STFs are almost equal IMO. They just have different feels. STFs are bouncy rubbery feeling, but slippery at the same time. F4s feel like rocks but grip pretty well.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #823 on: October 17, 2017, 12:02:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

F4s and STFs are almost equal IMO. They just have different feels. STFs are bouncy rubbery feeling, but slippery at the same time. F4s feel like rocks but grip pretty well.
I feel total opposite, for me stf’s grip more and f4’s are bit unpredictable on slides.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #824 on: October 26, 2017, 01:37:54 AM »
After almost a decade on Bones STF I set up Crupie wheels couple of days ago to try them out and they are holding up great after skating them on some smooth and some really rough ground.  No chips or flatspots yet.
Performance wise in the streets they are comparable to STFs that I rode before, time will tell if they are as durable.
Great value for money as Bones STF/Spitfire F4 cost almost twice as much.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #825 on: October 26, 2017, 06:12:41 AM »
After almost a decade on Bones STF I set up Crupie wheels couple of days ago to try them out and they are holding up great after skating them on some smooth and some really rough ground.  No chips or flatspots yet.
Performance wise in the streets they are comparable to STFs that I rode before, time will tell if they are as durable.

Yeah Crupies are damn good wheels, especially since their quality is on par with Bones/Spitfire at a lower cost. Loved the set I skated. I went back to some F4’s for the sake of trying a new wheel shape but I’ve got my eyes on some Tiago Crupies next. Will probably cop when he wins SotY

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #826 on: October 26, 2017, 06:13:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah Crupies are damn good wheels, especially since their quality is on par with Bones/Spitfire at a lower cost. Loved the set I skated. I went back to some F4’s for the sake of trying a new wheel shape but I’ve got my eyes on some Tiago Crupies next. Will probably cop when he wins SotY

I'm going to grab a set, the thinner shape seems really nice (plus I'm flatting wheels so an extra would be handy).

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #827 on: October 26, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
53mm crupies might be a sleeper hit.

Vigo the Carpathian

« Reply #828 on: October 26, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »
Ordered these 83b Clone wheels today.  If they don't come in a fucking test tube I'm sending them back.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #829 on: October 26, 2017, 09:51:22 PM »
53mm crupies might be a sleeper hit.

I've got some sitting in a cart, once I hear back from them on my questions I'll probably bite. For now, back on F4 radial slims for a bit (kinda saving my ojs from flat spotting as i've been on a run lately and figure i'll flat the f4s first ;)

Ordered these 83b Clone wheels today.  If they don't come in a fucking test tube I'm sending them back.

Board brand wheels, run away, run away!!!

That being said, anyone run board brand wheels with positive results?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:06:21 PM by Xen »

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #830 on: October 27, 2017, 06:13:01 AM »
Pig - when they also used to make boards
Darkstar - when they also used to make wheels
Flip - when they used to make both. I liked them but was not too fond of them
Around 2009 I had a set of chocolates that had a soft core and was harder on the outside. Thought they skated pretty weird at first but when I got used to the feel I started liking them.
Anything else I can think off has been utter shite, mainly having to do with misaligned bearing sockets.
If you take a wheel with bearings and hold it between your index finger and thumb (through where the axle would pass) and spin it and then feel some movement, then the wheels are really bad and the company should be giving them away like they do with promotional lighters and keyholders because those wheels probably cost as much.
Expand Quote
[close]

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #831 on: October 27, 2017, 07:01:19 AM »
i had a set of AW wheels in 2009 that weren't awful

they were the keith haring collab got em for like $9 and rode them a few months with no flatspots

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #832 on: October 27, 2017, 07:28:40 AM »
^oh shit i forgot a set of aw duane pitre that i had back in the day and that i liked a lot but at the time it didnt matter much because wheels were tiny and after a day or two they were destroyed to tell any difference
Expand Quote
[close]

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #833 on: October 27, 2017, 04:43:51 PM »
Dear Slap,

I got some new spitfires, but there is this mark on one. The surface is smooth but it looks like a crack- send it back or skate it?

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #834 on: October 27, 2017, 07:55:43 PM »
Skate it. I bet its just a minor blemish.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #835 on: October 28, 2017, 02:46:30 AM »
Dear Slap,

I got some new spitfires, but there is this mark on one. The surface is smooth but it looks like a crack- send it back or skate it?

Looks like something went wrong in pouring them. I would be worried bombing a hill on that wheel.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #836 on: October 28, 2017, 02:51:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I feel total opposite, for me stf’s grip more and f4’s are bit unpredictable on slides.

after a week or so on the f4s im really enjoying it, if anything id say my experience is the reverse of yours with the f4s gripping more and the stfs being far slippier but in reality thats probably down to the fact i had the stfs a year and they shrunk like fuck

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #837 on: October 28, 2017, 03:02:28 AM »
I've been wanting to get some formula 4's, is there a difference for real from 99a and 101 duromater?

gumi

• Rep: 6
« Reply #838 on: October 28, 2017, 07:50:22 AM »
I've been wanting to get some formula 4's, is there a difference for real from 99a and 101 duromater?

99s are noticeably smoother on rough ground, 101s slide just a wee bit more. Both really good

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #839 on: October 28, 2017, 07:53:40 AM »
Picks up some SPF fireballs....they look good....kinda Powells response to the wide tread spitfire profiles....put em on my ramp set up....