Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777935 times)

Zane (+ 2 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Big Baby Jesus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3210 on: August 28, 2020, 08:39:25 AM »
Got some new Boardycakes 48.5mm 99a.  Looking forward to skating these little baked potatoes.

These are SUPER wide and remind me of the first new wheels I ever bought (powell jellyballs).

44mm Boardcakes for comparison. 

That DOA graphic is so good.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #3211 on: August 28, 2020, 10:08:43 AM »
I just got a FUBK Rudy deck, but I’m conflicted.

The question is, should I go with some 44mm boardy cakes, and die from hitting a pebble. Or, just keyframes for a smoother/but not a cruiser feel.

I have a cruiser already, so this is just going to be something to fuck around with. Never had smaller than like 48s. Thoughts anyone? What would y’all do?

Dude I have 52mm Keyframes and they are great. Most def rolls over stuff and still skateable.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3212 on: August 28, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »
Got some new Boardycakes 48.5mm 99a.  Looking forward to skating these little baked potatoes.

These are SUPER wide and remind me of the first new wheels I ever bought (powell jellyballs).

mine are coming in monday, super hyped ;D
what size truck are you running relative to the deck width? im hoping to run a little bit of magic carpet if they are wide enough
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3213 on: August 28, 2020, 12:02:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
what size truck are you running relative to the deck width? im hoping to run a little bit of magic carpet if they are wide enough

Nice! This setup has 149s on an 8.5.  The edge of the wheel is basically flush with the axle nut

sketchyrider

« Reply #3214 on: August 28, 2020, 12:54:38 PM »
how is the urethane on those boardy cakes? kind of intriguing to see a company devoted to small wheels...

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3215 on: August 28, 2020, 02:09:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Nice! This setup has 149s on an 8.5.  The edge of the wheel is basically flush with the axle nut
word thanks man. might have to add more axle washers to push them out
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

IrritableBowel2

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3216 on: August 28, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
Those benchwarmers look like so much fun, I had to grab a set.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #3217 on: August 28, 2020, 02:58:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
word thanks man. might have to add more axle washers to push them out

Just got mine in too. On some 169s. Waiting on the deck still, I can’t wait haha

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3218 on: August 28, 2020, 05:14:30 PM »
Wow haha looks wild on 169.. what deck ? @os89

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #3219 on: August 31, 2020, 09:40:36 PM »
uhh so has anyone else noticed that dialtones don't slide?? skated down a hill today on them for the first time and luckily stuck a few times and was able to run them out. feel like you'd have to be going gx1000 speed for them to feel anywhere close to good for powerslides.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3220 on: August 31, 2020, 11:56:58 PM »
uhh so has anyone else noticed that dialtones don't slide?? skated down a hill today on them for the first time and luckily stuck a few times and was able to run them out. feel like you'd have to be going gx1000 speed for them to feel anywhere close to good for powerslides.
what wheels were you rocking prior to the dial tones? I’m on some SMLs on one of my setups and I was having similar feelings but that’s just because I was coming off of F4s. F4s almost make you lazy in the way you approach powerslides because you don’t have to put as much effort in to break into a slide. Either way, I can’t say enough good things about loophole at the moment; great quality wheels and they slide perfectly

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #3221 on: September 01, 2020, 10:35:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
what wheels were you rocking prior to the dial tones? I’m on some SMLs on one of my setups and I was having similar feelings but that’s just because I was coming off of F4s. F4s almost make you lazy in the way you approach powerslides because you don’t have to put as much effort in to break into a slide. Either way, I can’t say enough good things about loophole at the moment; great quality wheels and they slide perfectly
yeah coming off of f4s. guess ya don't know what you've got til it's gone :/

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3222 on: September 01, 2020, 11:41:03 AM »
Expand Quote
My friend just got the new Ricta Wide Speed Rings as the only f4 99s were swirled color and gotta say they felt very nice. Good shape too. Im still using Easy Streets and the ricta slid better but were similar regarding feel. Didnt get to try them on really rough pavement but not a bad f4 99 replacement option and I never really see Ricta brought up here.

https://socalskateshop.com/Ricta-Speedrings-Wide-Skateboard-Wheels-White-53mm-101a.html
[close]

Not liking the new shape/hardness of the speed rings, but that’s what the kids are into. The old 103 Speed rings where my favorites until they discontinued them.

Same here...I was a fan, not wanting to risk the new ones...I'm eyeing they *shudder* Nyjah super slims tho, shape looks great:

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3223 on: September 01, 2020, 02:33:06 PM »
boardycakes benchwarmers 48.5 mm

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3224 on: September 03, 2020, 03:53:10 PM »
Small wheels and baggy pants...We are full circle once again. The slim ricta cores also look pretty slick. Also feel some type of way about the Nyjahs but at least theyre not the black n gold ones. Waiting on OJ Nomads 95a to drop.

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #3225 on: September 03, 2020, 05:15:50 PM »

They’re definitely grippier than F4 (like most wheels) but they certainly slide. Haven’t tried em on a hill but could slide em on flat with little issue. Every wheel slides. Coming off F4 makes it tough but keep tryna break them in and they should get better.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3226 on: September 05, 2020, 04:21:10 PM »
Small wheels and baggy pants...We are full circle once again. The slim ricta cores also look pretty slick. Also feel some type of way about the Nyjahs but at least theyre not the black n gold ones. Waiting on OJ Nomads 95a to drop.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My friend just got the new Ricta Wide Speed Rings as the only f4 99s were swirled color and gotta say they felt very nice. Good shape too. Im still using Easy Streets and the ricta slid better but were similar regarding feel. Didnt get to try them on really rough pavement but not a bad f4 99 replacement option and I never really see Ricta brought up here.

https://socalskateshop.com/Ricta-Speedrings-Wide-Skateboard-Wheels-White-53mm-101a.html
[close]

Not liking the new shape/hardness of the speed rings, but that’s what the kids are into. The old 103 Speed rings where my favorites until they discontinued them.
[close]

Same here...I was a fan, not wanting to risk the new ones...I'm eyeing they *shudder* Nyjah super slims tho, shape looks great:

So I bit because I needed grip and had to justify shipping costs ;)

Bones V2 (L)         |               Ricta Nyjah 'super slim' (C)               |         Bones V3 (R) all 52mm (V3s might actually be 51).

Basically a slim Bones Lockin/Thinner Radial Slim; my pics makes it look more rounded than it is (the render/stock shot is 100% correct tho). Compared to a V1 (not shown) the lip/cut is more square, less rounded.

This is exactly they wheel shape/width I have been looking for. Was gunning for Spit tabs in 101 as I really like the bones V2s but not feeling the 99s since I'm not hitting any crust.

Note: there is no 'NRG' branding on them at all so no idea what Urethane they're using...probably just the standard flat-spot formula :P I'm not power sliding, so I should be good unless I get fucked with pushing that last 45 degrees on whatever.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3227 on: September 10, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3228 on: September 11, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »
Ojs had a 95a formula around 2013. Anybody try those?
 I will probably try those or the 97 f4 this fall, whatever comes out first. They will probably be great for skating in October/November.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3229 on: September 12, 2020, 05:03:13 AM »
Since the F4 shortage I decided to go local and try a chilean brand called Insomnio which seems to be pretty decent.
Tested on the Valparaíso downhills by crazy guys, you can't get a better test than that.
Urethane feels good, not like that crappy glass feeling wheels. When I put my bearings it felt nice, so that's a good omen. Also I like how the bearings sits on the wheels.
Can't wait to try these 54 x 36 x 23 hopefully tomorrow.

Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3230 on: September 12, 2020, 06:45:32 AM »
 I will probably try those or the 97 f4 this fall, whatever comes out first. They will probably be great for skating in October/November.

A slapper had a good experience on Speed Lab Danforth’s:

https://www.speedlabwheels.com/products/bill-danforth-pro-model-58mm-97a

Theses are made at Creative Urethane so I trust that the quality is similar to old school OJs.

I bought a set of 97a Slime Balls and I didn’t even set them up. They felt to plasticy for a 97a wheel.

I am also turned off by Chinese skate products but this is more of a perception issue I have.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #3231 on: September 12, 2020, 06:57:33 AM »
https://www.strange-house.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_53&products_id=9060&zenid=ebhn63n86jta8o2p818sp6c416

I skated a friends board these 60mm 95a speed labs and they were awesome. Didn’t try to slide em but they held fast and stable in a deep concrete bowl. I expected 95a to be sluggish. Thought they were slime balls because of the color and shape but they’re way better imo

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #3232 on: September 12, 2020, 08:08:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks for reminding me of these. A guy who showed us around a new town had a set of these, and he had them for 3 years.He ripped the concrete park, and said he really liked them. I could tell he was super comfortable on them by how they weee so worn in. I’ve wanted a set since.

A slapper had a good experience on Speed Lab Danforth’s:

https://www.speedlabwheels.com/products/bill-danforth-pro-model-58mm-97a

Theses are made at Creative Urethane so I trust that the quality is similar to old school OJs.

I bought a set of 97a Slime Balls and I didn’t even set them up. They felt to plasticy for a 97a wheel.

I am also turned off by Chinese skate products but this is more of a perception issue I have.

CBP

• Rep: 26
« Reply #3233 on: September 15, 2020, 08:07:16 PM »
I been skating the 56mm vee shape Loophole wheels for a while. They perform like f4s but have better grip and as a result they roll slower. I haven't ran these with Thunder trucks but I have the impression would be annoying to slide bc of baseplate.

Otherwise good wheels, recommended.

Sampo64700

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3234 on: September 15, 2020, 10:27:02 PM »

I've had a quite nice experience with the 97a 53mm Slime Balls, might be worth a try. A bit smoother than 99a F4's but still slide ok. Will definitely try the 97a F4's when they become available.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #3235 on: September 15, 2020, 10:31:46 PM »
Set up some Pig Primes in 52mm.
I’ve only done some slappies but they slide nicely. Weird transparent color and they feel slow. The slowness May be my new bearings. 
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3236 on: September 16, 2020, 09:23:02 AM »
Set up some Pig Primes in 52mm.
I’ve only done some slappies but they slide nicely. Weird transparent color and they feel slow. The slowness May be my new bearings.

I wanna try them so bad. Keep us updated after you skated a while. Im curious how they hold up. I loved pig when I was younger.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3237 on: September 16, 2020, 10:53:27 PM »
question about loophole: do they only come in 101a? how do they compare to 99a f4 in terms of feel?

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #3238 on: September 17, 2020, 03:55:40 AM »
I want to know why people all ridding their wheel with graphics on the inside? If you're locking into things the graphics still wear if that the reason no?
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #3239 on: September 17, 2020, 04:19:00 AM »
I want to know why people all ridding their wheel with graphics on the inside? If you're locking into things the graphics still wear if that the reason no?

Because they look like shit when they’re scratched. Plus most wheel graphics suck anyway.

A plain white wheel will always look better, from the side of the board, on film as well.