Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 790731 times)

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3270 on: September 27, 2020, 06:43:21 PM »
Grabbed the 53mm 95 a Nomads and theyre def unique.

Ive been riding easy streets v1 a while for 3 months and use 92a clouds for crusty NJ streets.

I will say these have a higher rebound than easy streets or f4 99s but they are unique. The hardness and rebound diff is noticable coming from 99 stf/f4 to these. On rough NJ pavement they do very well, similar to 92 clounds but much better than easystreets 99a. As expected, sliding is inbeteen the two. On smooth pavement it feels like clouds. Amazing feeling. Fast and super smooth on transition with needed tackyness but can still revert. They do slide much better than the 92a clouds, however, you wil have to use slightly more effort than 99 stf/f4. I have been skating a slick metal half and a crusty nj spot so these are perfect, however, I cant be 100% yet, need a lil more time. Takes some time to get used to. I def dont need the 92 clouds any more but I may want harder wheels for a nice smooth park. Great shape. Really enjoying them. Nice contact patch and space without added weight of bulky wheels.

i wanted to get these but was worried they'd be too soft, so i got some 53 101a hardline shape.  Ive been riding my last set of elites for at least 9 months.  I felt the same way about OJ, but i gotta say these are the best wheels I've had in forever and I'll probably keep riding OJs for the foreseeable future. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3271 on: September 29, 2020, 08:20:48 PM »
Expand Quote

Ive been riding easy streets v1 a while for 3 months and use 92a clouds for crusty NJ streets.

I will say these have a higher rebound than easy streets or f4 99s but they are unique. The hardness and rebound diff is noticable coming from 99 stf/f4 to these. On rough NJ pavement they do very well, similar to 92 clounds but much better than easystreets 99a. As expected, sliding is inbeteen the two. On smooth pavement it feels like clouds. Amazing feeling. Fast and super smooth on transition with needed tackyness but can still revert. They do slide much better than the 92a clouds, however, you wil have to use slightly more effort than 99 stf/f4. I have been skating a slick metal half and a crusty nj spot so these are perfect, however, I cant be 100% yet, need a lil more time. Takes some time to get used to. I def dont need the 92 clouds any more but I may want harder wheels for a nice smooth park. Great shape. Really enjoying them. Nice contact patch and space without added weight of bulky wheels.
[close]

i wanted to get these but was worried they'd be too soft, so i got some 53 101a hardline shape.  Ive been riding my last set of elites for at least 9 months.  I felt the same way about OJ, but i gotta say these are the best wheels I've had in forever and I'll probably keep riding OJs for the foreseeable future. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3272 on: September 30, 2020, 05:21:46 PM »
Knowing how grippy (in general) the Elite formula is, I'd go with the F4 97a as a blind buy over the 95a Elites.

I really enjoy the 101 hardlines tho. Fast and grippy but still slide just got to push them a bit more and have much less fear of the slide breaking free.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #3273 on: October 02, 2020, 05:28:32 AM »
Looking for some recommendations that are like the Spitfire Conical F4 I ride either 52 or 53mm.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3274 on: October 02, 2020, 08:15:42 AM »
Looking for some recommendations that are like the Spitfire Conical F4 I ride either 52 or 53mm.
loopholes

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #3275 on: October 02, 2020, 09:37:49 AM »
Just ordered some AWS Clone wheels because I had a discount code and they are conicals. How disappointed am I going to be coming from F4s?

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3276 on: October 02, 2020, 03:15:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nice

These are leaning more towards soft than I would prefer. Not bad but I can def notice more speed with the easy streets and the tackyness is a little tricky for backside stuff you slide to finish. Bigspins specifically. Id be interested in the 97a f4s but these will do for a while. Feels similar to the mini slimeball vomits 97a. Still 99 f4/stf seem the best overall.

For the people looking for f4's have you google searched? I still see lots of places with them including zumiez. Heres a couple links

http://www.upriseskateboards.com/skateboards/hardgoods/wheels-cid-32

https://www.evo.com/shop/skateboard/wheels/spitfire
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:26:48 PM by tyshoes »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3277 on: October 02, 2020, 03:21:59 PM »
Just ordered some AWS Clone wheels because I had a discount code and they are conicals. How disappointed am I going to be coming from F4s?
Very according to somebody in here when I asked how those wheels were.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

tyshoes

« Reply #3278 on: October 02, 2020, 03:27:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Take peoples opinions with a grain of salt here. Im sure theyre not THAT bad.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3279 on: October 02, 2020, 03:33:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

SPITFIRE F4 OR DIE

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3280 on: October 02, 2020, 04:53:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice

These are leaning more towards soft than I would prefer. Not bad but I can def notice more speed with the easy streets and the tackyness is a little tricky for backside stuff you slide to finish. Bigspins specifically. Id be interested in the 97a f4s but these will do for a while. Feels similar to the mini slimeball vomits 97a. Still 99 f4/stf seem the best overall.

For the people looking for f4's have you google searched? I still see lots of places with them including zumiez. Heres a couple links

did the treads wear off? Powerslide? How are they for rough pavement? Haven’t tried 97a slime balls

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3281 on: October 02, 2020, 06:50:24 PM »
The loop holes are nice.

From what I see they're not going to flat spot.
like my f4s when I slide hard on crust they score.

Trying them at the park tomorrow
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3282 on: October 02, 2020, 07:46:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

SPITFIRE F4 OR DIE

I'm the one who said they're horrible, and they're horrible. I had the slim 52s and they were garbage.

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #3283 on: October 02, 2020, 08:16:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

SPITFIRE F4 OR DIE
[close]

I'm the one who said they're horrible, and they're horrible. I had the slim 52s and they were garbage.

Welp, I'm not expecting much any way. I won't throw out my current F4s

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #3284 on: October 03, 2020, 03:30:40 AM »
When are the 97a F4s dropping?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

tyshoes

« Reply #3285 on: October 03, 2020, 11:46:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice

[close]
did the treads wear off? Powerslide? How are they for rough pavement? Haven’t tried 97a slime balls

No these come smooth, no treads. Good for rough pavement and more tacky than 99 stf or f4. Not the best for smooth surfaces.

Edit: Just had a longer session with these and theyre a little too tacky for transition which is kinda what Ive been focusing on, so If we have anyone interested in the 53mm Nomads, Id be willing to trade for some f4s 52+ or some elite 99+ . Maybe consider some others. Otherwise I can do $27 shipped on these. Skated 3 times maybe 3 hours on them. I just put back my easy streets back on and preferr them on trasition and park. For the crusty stuff, The 92a clouds are just as good as these on rought stuff but dont slide as well. If youre someone who skates arounda lot,skates street and park, bombs hills, these are the wheels for you becasue theyre as close as I think we are right now, for good to excellent performance in all terrains, but I just drive to spots so I just Im up to try a 99/101 or a f4 97 whenever those drop, and stick with the easy street/99a stf and clouds for rough terrain.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 04:34:58 PM by tyshoes »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3286 on: October 04, 2020, 09:08:44 AM »
I feel like you need to give wheels more than 3 hours to really break them in. F4s take a few sessions before you really get a sense of the slip to grip ratio. Might be the same with these OJs?

tyshoes

« Reply #3287 on: October 04, 2020, 10:56:43 AM »
I feel like you need to give wheels more than 3 hours to really break them in. F4s take a few sessions before you really get a sense of the slip to grip ratio. Might be the same with these OJs?

You may be right. These feel more like soft wheels than f4s/typical though. Imma keep them going for a lil while see if I adapt or just go back to the stf 99s

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #3288 on: October 04, 2020, 12:04:30 PM »
I was skating a curb today with some relatively new formula four tablets and a few little chunks popped off them. My last formula fours were lock-ins and they stood up to way more punishment.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3289 on: October 04, 2020, 07:33:45 PM »
Took the plunge and skated a full session with Spitfire F4 Classics 54mm, not the fancy F4 stuff, after riding bones for close to a year. Got to say I'm very impressed and kick myself for not trying them sooner. The slide on ledges was very consistent and being able to roll over crust was much appreciated. They were wider than I liked, maybe I'll try a conical or tablet next in a 52mm.

Even the 99a felt better than the Bones Easy Streets which still felt hard and plastic-y.

My only gripe was the classics were red and coupled with my green graphic made it look like Xmas came early.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #3290 on: October 04, 2020, 10:00:32 PM »
Has anyone had experience with boardy cake wheels? I threw on some sml 40s on my curb board and love it and was wondering if there's info on the boardy cake 42 and 44mm.

dunc

• Rep: 52
« Reply #3291 on: October 04, 2020, 11:55:21 PM »
Took the plunge and skated a full session with Spitfire F4 Classics 54mm, not the fancy F4 stuff, after riding bones for close to a year. Got to say I'm very impressed and kick myself for not trying them sooner. The slide on ledges was very consistent and being able to roll over crust was much appreciated. They were wider than I liked, maybe I'll try a conical or tablet next in a 52mm.

Even the 99a felt better than the Bones Easy Streets which still felt hard and plastic-y.

My only gripe was the classics were red and coupled with my green graphic made it look like Xmas came early.

I just got some Easy streets and they aint easy. Lack of spitfires where I live due to covid shipping has left me wanting. The Sleazy streets seem to slide then bite at random times. Spitfire f4s are wheel heaven. I can't wait for them to come back to NZ.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3292 on: October 05, 2020, 01:41:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just got some Easy streets and they aint easy. Lack of spitfires where I live due to covid shipping has left me wanting. The Sleazy streets seem to slide then bite at random times. Spitfire f4s are wheel heaven. I can't wait for them to come back to NZ.

Honestly did not expect to like the 99a and wider Classic shape as much as I did. I noticed it most on FS Noseslides, on Bones I would often stick even with a proper lock and speed. Didn't have that problem with the "cheaper" Classic forumal which slid consistently every time, which in turn gave me the confidence to go even faster and try to slide further. The 54mm Classic was way bigger than I liked but got used to the heft mid way through the session.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3293 on: October 05, 2020, 03:18:54 AM »

?
Guessing that you didn't meant to put the first "F4"
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #3294 on: October 05, 2020, 03:59:55 AM »
Has anyone had experience with boardy cake wheels? I threw on some sml 40s on my curb board and love it and was wondering if there's info on the boardy cake 42 and 44mm.

42mm Boardy Cakes on a mellow mini ramp rates really high on the fun scale for me. Great for curb stuff too. I have them on a Polar football, makes a lot of people come up to me curious about my setup.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3295 on: October 05, 2020, 07:58:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
?

or he's skating f4 classic shape? instead of conical,...

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3296 on: October 05, 2020, 08:13:58 AM »
I was skating a curb today with some relatively new formula four tablets and a few little chunks popped off them. My last formula fours were lock-ins and they stood up to way more punishment.

My F4 tablets did the same during their whole life (they are close to retirement now). It stops for a bit after going down a couple of millimeters in size, then it gets worse again when I rode down about 4-5 mms. Never bothered the actual performance of my tablets, was always just cosmetics...

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3297 on: October 05, 2020, 08:50:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
?
[close]

or he's skating f4 classic shape? instead of conical,...

Yeah typo on the first F4 - classic formula.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #3298 on: October 05, 2020, 09:02:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

42mm Boardy Cakes on a mellow mini ramp rates really high on the fun scale for me. Great for curb stuff too. I have them on a Polar football, makes a lot of people come up to me curious about my setup.

Just took delivery of some 44mm Fat Bundts today for my "90s" setup... 8" chocolate deck with venture V-hollow lows.

They look awesome, like sweets! Nice quality feel to the urethane as well.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #3299 on: October 05, 2020, 10:59:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My F4 tablets did the same during their whole life (they are close to retirement now). It stops for a bit after going down a couple of millimeters in size, then it gets worse again when I rode down about 4-5 mms. Never bothered the actual performance of my tablets, was always just cosmetics...

Yeah, they’re still working fine, and I do like them.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.