Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 789911 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3360 on: November 13, 2020, 06:15:36 PM »
Because of F4 shortage in here in thinking about trying something different, any comments regarding OJ elites 101? I found some Milton 54mm

Good wheels if you like flatspots and the bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr feeling/sound.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3361 on: November 13, 2020, 07:01:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Because of F4 shortage in here in thinking about trying something different, any comments regarding OJ elites 101? I found some Milton 54mm
[close]

Good wheels if you like flatspots and the bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr feeling/sound.
Thanks, you saved me from a terrible choice.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 07:22:08 PM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3362 on: November 13, 2020, 07:06:08 PM »

Anything is better than nothing, but flatspots do seem to happen a little more often than you might like on them, as was already said.

If you can see where they are made, because the older ones we had here felt softer or were much more grippy than the newer ones which feel hard and slippery by comparison, but I would imagine that everything there now is the newer stuff.

F4 are being restocked quite fast in a lot of places, so you might not have to wait that long, or try to find out via your regular source if there are any on the way.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3363 on: November 13, 2020, 11:47:18 PM »
Buy loopholes instead!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #3364 on: November 14, 2020, 02:31:20 PM »
If anyone cares. I usually ride bones 83b v3 or a similar shaped wheel. I like to try everything but prefer a slim profile. The last wheel I skated were the autobahn 83b slims and they were the pretty bones like.

I’m currently skating the 101a satori vinyl cut wheel and it’s the first wheel I’ve loved in years that’s not an 83b.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3365 on: November 14, 2020, 08:20:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
they do not slide

They do, you just have to go mach 1 like MM does...he gets those OJs screaming.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 05:30:53 PM by Xen »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3366 on: November 15, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »
I'm a few sessions deep on my OJ nomads now (54mm 95a) and i have to say I'm pretty impressed. Sessioned an underground parking lot today. The ground is either oil slick slippery or rough as a rhino's arse and unless you know the place intimately you can't tell where due to the poor lighting. This makes for challenging set ups with regular hard wheels. Anyway, the nomads cover it. They suck up the rough shit, grip on the slick sections and still break into slides on the curbs. And they are holding up well. No tears or missing chunks. Just some light coning. I'd say they are as good of a compromise between cruiser and regular street wheel as I've tried thus far. Still yet to try them in a smooth skate park but I can almost guarantee they will feel pretty sluggish but that's not why I got them. Recommended, if your a nerd like me who rotates wheels for the winter. Looking forward to the 97A/ F4 comparison at some point.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3367 on: November 15, 2020, 07:35:35 PM »
I tried the street razor reissue in 97 or 99 I can't remember. My homie Abe was in them. He's an nhs fanatic. I had his ride 2x I think.

He was on some jacked up wheels before he caved in and bought the street razors.

I tried to fix them for him but the bearing seats were pushing all 8 bearings out of seat like I've never seen in my life.

I assume they were counterfeit because they were Omar Hassan's pro wheel.

No one but abe could put up with their bearings sticking out as far as the indy axles would allow. He was on them for so long one had rolled out into volcano shape.

He's still riding the street razors last I saw no problems but that was a while. I get worried about him. He moved to Maine then was like fuck 5g and boom social media black out. 
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3368 on: November 15, 2020, 08:40:25 PM »
Hey I'm cobbling together a board for my friend's kid. I've got everything but wheels. Can any of you dudes recommend v inexpensive soft wheels/cruisers that aren't too kooky? Thanks

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3369 on: November 16, 2020, 01:54:40 AM »
Hey I'm cobbling together a board for my friend's kid. I've got everything but wheels. Can any of you dudes recommend v inexpensive soft wheels/cruisers that aren't too kooky? Thanks

Where are you?

Someone might have something they are happy to part with for cheap or free, otherwise there are usually generic softer wheels around a lot of places, maybe not quite the boutique skate shop, but the bigger stores, or online, depending on the timeframe and budget.  I always see a lot of them on ebay.

Even your local skate shop might be down to help out if you go in and explain what you are after.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3370 on: November 18, 2020, 04:08:18 AM »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3371 on: November 18, 2020, 06:21:38 AM »
Looks like NFG is making 95a now.
https://www.nfgmfg.com/product-page/95a-ptf-crust-formula-54-mm-vee

Wild, kind of tempted. The regular V-shape already handles crusty shit so well, but I would be curious to see how these perform and if the softness makes them hard to slide.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3372 on: November 18, 2020, 06:36:45 AM »
Definitely tempted. NFG 95a, Spitfire 97a, OJ Nomad 95a.. got options now... winter crust doesn't stand a chance. 

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3373 on: November 19, 2020, 04:00:48 AM »
My Loophole tear drops are looking so nice after wearing down a little bit. I really love the shape. Somewhere in between a classic and a radial.

I love how they feel too even though they were actively working against me doing a slappy noseslide 270 out on this mellow bank to ledge.  I could have benefited from being able to slide those last 45 degrees on my F4s but it's cool because it makes me want to go back and really work on my getting my shoulders around and really spinning that fucker.

Diocletian

« Reply #3374 on: November 19, 2020, 11:17:43 AM »
Looks like NFG is making 95a now.
https://www.nfgmfg.com/product-page/95a-ptf-crust-formula-54-mm-vee

Thank you for posting this man, I didn't like how hard their normal formula is and I have a feeling these are going to be my new favorite wheel, ever.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3375 on: November 19, 2020, 12:07:34 PM »
Expand Quote

Thank you for posting this man, I didn't like how hard their normal formula is and I have a feeling these are going to be my new favorite wheel, ever.

No problem! I was tempted to get these too, since I have a weird obsession with NFG and Loophole, but the thing I don’t like about the hard formula (too grippy for me) would be worse on these I think. I love how they feel rolling on crust though, so I’ll bet these are great for that!

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3376 on: November 19, 2020, 01:44:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

No problem! I was tempted to get these too, since I have a weird obsession with NFG and Loophole, but the thing I don’t like about the hard formula (too grippy for me) would be worse on these I think. I love how they feel rolling on crust though, so I’ll bet these are great for that!
When i looked at this yesterday i didn't realize they are making the 95A in all 3 of their shapes. Square, Vee, and Teardrop.. anyone got a pic of the Vee's set up?

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3377 on: November 19, 2020, 02:30:30 PM »
Anyone tried the loopholes on masonite and can compare them with 99a f4? Its indoor season now where i live so i need something as grippy/grippier than My f4.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3378 on: November 20, 2020, 04:11:01 PM »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3379 on: November 20, 2020, 06:47:17 PM »
Ordered these:

https://www.penus-skateboards.com/product_info.php?products_id=92

39mm’s 💪🏻

I might be old, but I still giggled when I thought of small penus wheels...

Is that part of the marketing for those things? 

Pretty damn funny!!!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3380 on: November 21, 2020, 02:40:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Ordered these:

https://www.penus-skateboards.com/product_info.php?products_id=92

39mm’s 💪🏻
[close]

I might be old, but I still giggled when I thought of small penus wheels...

Is that part of the marketing for those things? 

Pretty damn funny!!!
You're not alone  ;D
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3381 on: November 22, 2020, 11:05:50 AM »
Haha true, I frowned too when I asked a dude which wheels he was riding.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #3382 on: November 27, 2020, 09:20:51 PM »
Anyone try Satori wheels lately? Thinkin about pickin some up...

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #3383 on: November 27, 2020, 10:12:46 PM »

They are fine, but suffer the same fate as all others in that they don't slide as well as F4, nor do they feel as good. I'm happy to ride mine out then I'll probably go back to F4.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3384 on: November 28, 2020, 04:09:57 AM »

wouldn't replace my f4s with them, but would for sure getting some satori cruiser wheels for a crust sled.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 78
« Reply #3385 on: November 29, 2020, 08:57:17 AM »
Recommendations for a soft & quiet cruiser wheel max 58mm? I'll use it with my ole 8,5" board to cruise around, some ollies, manuals etc

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3386 on: November 29, 2020, 09:30:45 AM »
Recommendations for a soft & quiet cruiser wheel max 58mm? I'll use it with my ole 8,5" board to cruise around, some ollies, manuals etc
You're looking for Ricta clouds my friend.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #3387 on: November 29, 2020, 09:32:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are fine, but suffer the same fate as all others in that they don't slide as well as F4, nor do they feel as good. I'm happy to ride mine out then I'll probably go back to F4.

I dont the f4s. Had the. F4 slim 101 and didn’t think they slid for me. I usually ride bones 83b or a similar wheel.

I’m got the satori vinyl cut 101a recently and it’s the first time I’ve loved right out the pack in a while

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3388 on: November 29, 2020, 04:50:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ricta Clouds indeed, and they come in different duros, 78, 86 and 92 and all in fairly normal size and shape options too, eg 52, 54, 56mm (or at least did before covid)

Spitfire 80HD are also an option for soft wheel that rolls well over anything, especially going fast or going straight, but to me they feel weird on the tighter turns, compared to harder wheels that will slide, these do not at all.

OJ Keyframes are 87 duro and also come in all sizes.

OJ mini super juice 78 duro are the wider squared off version, maybe not quite what you want, but also a good wheel too.

I have seen quite a few shops have a generic soft wheel now too, so depending on price and availability, that might be an option, but in terms of the duro and what works, I am sure people will have different opinions.  Eg:

78 to 80 is super soft and a good cruiser from A to B
86 to 90 is soft but to me the best to be able to get speed and hold it on softer wheels and still skate almost normally
92 to 95 is slightly softer than normal but will still skate almost the same as a normal wheel on slippery surfaces
97 duro is almost normal, just a bit more grip than 99+
99 to 101 is normal

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3389 on: November 30, 2020, 05:55:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Ricta Clouds indeed, and they come in different duros, 78, 86 and 92 and all in fairly normal size and shape options too, eg 52, 54, 56mm (or at least did before covid)

Spitfire 80HD are also an option for soft wheel that rolls well over anything, especially going fast or going straight, but to me they feel weird on the tighter turns, compared to harder wheels that will slide, these do not at all.

OJ Keyframes are 87 duro and also come in all sizes.

OJ mini super juice 78 duro are the wider squared off version, maybe not quite what you want, but also a good wheel too.

I have seen quite a few shops have a generic soft wheel now too, so depending on price and availability, that might be an option, but in terms of the duro and what works, I am sure people will have different opinions.  Eg:

78 to 80 is super soft and a good cruiser from A to B
86 to 90 is soft but to me the best to be able to get speed and hold it on softer wheels and still skate almost normally
92 to 95 is slightly softer than normal but will still skate almost the same as a normal wheel on slippery surfaces
97 duro is almost normal, just a bit more grip than 99+
99 to 101 is normal

Only in theory.

Duro is not consistent between brands.
Shape also makes a difference in grip, speed and feel.
But good apriximate "rules" for choosing wheels.