Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777807 times)

Frank and Fred, Schinken and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

blueskynoise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 23
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3420 on: December 07, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »
Loving the 97a 54mm F4 classics. A little tough to power slide on street, but they’ll break in over time.
 Had an awesome session on my wooden ramp in the backyard, excited to try them at my local indoor park that’s so slippery it feels like an ice rink.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3421 on: December 09, 2020, 11:39:12 AM »
NFG Square Cut 95a wheels are in. I have only skated the for around 15 minutes but wanted to say they are a graphics out wheel.  They are hand poured and each wheel had bubbles on the inside.  It doesn't really bother me for the black friday pricing. 

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3422 on: December 09, 2020, 12:32:49 PM »
I'm currently on some SML V-Cuts but need a change. There's no radial slims available where I am. Tonnes of Wayward wheels at shops here though. Anybody skated them recently?
They are so fucking hard, yet they dont slide on curbs or asphalt atleast compared to F4s. Worst wheel i've tried for a while.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3423 on: December 09, 2020, 02:40:27 PM »
Expand Quote
The new OJs feel way less icy, so now I can blame like 3% of those f4 slams on a personal gear mismatch and keep the madness alive.

Do you know how sml wheels compare to f4 in terms of grip? Cheers
[close]

Ha, yeah definitely got to try some out and see what works.

I have had / seen two different types of SML wheels and both were good / no issues, but I didn't skate them much and passed them on to others who needed wheels, more so because I usually ride and feel most comfortable on Spitfires.

One set was very white, which seemed harder at first, the other set more milky, and was a bit softer / had more grip.  I guess being one of the many brands who use other wheels, it is just one of those things.

See this post for the slight differences, not counting the coloured wheels at the end.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHIvCnLJ34T/

So the ones with the flowers on the left are our AG formula (made specific Austyn) from Creative Urethane which is closer to a Spitfire Classic. They have a more traditional feel with a little bit easier slide-ability.

The other ones on the right are our OG formula from Aend They are closer to a Bones STF. They have a high rebound so they won't flat spot it doesn't have to do with the hardness as much as the high quality of urethane . So they do take a little more effort on the slide but I personally love them.

The duro is the same 99a on both but they both have their own feel.

I hope this info is helpful and thanks for the support!!

TumKayo

« Reply #3424 on: December 09, 2020, 03:10:12 PM »
What would be a good wheel for 50/50 city cruising and skatepark, thats 54mm and not super wide? Comfy in chunk or crust, but decently fast in the park.

Was thinking F4 Tablets

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #3425 on: December 09, 2020, 05:06:21 PM »
What would be a good wheel for 50/50 city cruising and skatepark, thats 54mm and not super wide? Comfy in chunk or crust, but decently fast in the park.

Was thinking F4 Tablets

Width is really the only thing that makes a wheel good on rough ground, so I'd definitely go wider. If you're going for tablets, you'd probably have to go for the new 97a to handle any crust at all. Not sure why you wouldn't wanna go super wide though, since you plan to cruise and go fast in the park.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3426 on: December 09, 2020, 05:11:53 PM »

So the ones with the flowers on the left are our AG formula (made specific Austyn) from Creative Urethane which is closer to a Spitfire Classic. They have a more traditional feel with a little bit easier slide-ability.

The other ones on the right are our OG formula from Aend They are closer to a Bones STF. They have a high rebound so they won't flat spot it doesn't have to do with the hardness as much as the high quality of urethane . So they do take a little more effort on the slide but I personally love them.

The duro is the same 99a on both but they both have their own feel.

I hope this info is helpful and thanks for the support!!

That's so rad!

Thanks for the info - it makes it so much easier to help anyone as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TumKayo

« Reply #3427 on: December 09, 2020, 05:42:49 PM »
Expand Quote

Was thinking F4 Tablets
[close]

Width is really the only thing that makes a wheel good on rough ground, so I'd definitely go wider. If you're going for tablets, you'd probably have to go for the new 97a to handle any crust at all. Not sure why you wouldn't wanna go super wide though, since you plan to cruise and go fast in the park.

I get wheelbite on my DLX trucks and Aces, and looking for wheels not too tall or wide, but just enough to be better than a 53mm classic shape in the city. Don’t want risers over .1” for this set up.

I’ve been riding some Orb 56mm conical full type wheels that do well here, but they’re too big for my low trucks.

Some 54mm Tablets in 97d would probably be money. I didn’t know they did the tablets in 97

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3428 on: December 09, 2020, 05:56:43 PM »
@TumKayo they don’t - only classic shape in 97a. They make the OG classic shape in F4 now.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #3429 on: December 09, 2020, 06:28:19 PM »
@TumKayo they don’t - only classic shape in 97a. They make the OG classic shape in F4 now.
Oh, that's right. My bad.

TumKayo

« Reply #3430 on: December 10, 2020, 09:53:11 AM »
I’m still thinking of getting the 99a ones.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3431 on: December 10, 2020, 10:05:06 AM »

Was thinking F4 Tablets

Get the 97A formula fours. They come in 56 and 54mm classic shape. Very comfy on crust while still being fast on transition. Honestly, they're the perfect wheel if you spend your time between the streets and skatepark and don't want to switch out wheels.

TumKayo

« Reply #3432 on: December 10, 2020, 10:18:05 AM »
Expand Quote

Was thinking F4 Tablets
[close]

Get the 97A formula fours. They come in 56 and 54mm classic shape. Very comfy on crust while still being fast on transition. Honestly, they're the perfect wheel if you spend your time between the streets and skatepark and don't want to switch out wheels.

Thanks. Will look into them for sure. The top three wheels I want to try are all spitfire F4s, just different shapes/sizes/duros

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3433 on: December 10, 2020, 11:39:30 AM »
NFG Square Cut 95a wheels are in. I have only skated the for around 15 minutes but wanted to say they are a graphics out wheel.  They are hand poured and each wheel had bubbles on the inside.  It doesn't really bother me for the black friday pricing. 

just skated my 95a V-cut 54mm around. I am liking them alot for what I do, especially this time of year. I don't ride in smooth parks so just a semi-smooth court with gravel-type bank, and a really rough parking lot and curb spot. Yeah i appreciate that they're hand poured, don't mind those "bubbles" and i still put graphics in. I'll rotate them around those every few weeks or so.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3434 on: December 10, 2020, 11:53:13 AM »
If they're anything like my loopholes, you could rub the graphics away with a paper towel.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3435 on: December 11, 2020, 08:38:08 PM »
been riding bones spfs for a while know, but im finally wondering about trying formula fours. spfs are just kind of limiting as great as they are at the park. every crack is so jarring, even on a smooth sidewalk.

not only that but the size/shape options are limited for spfs, 54 conicals feel a little clunky, and thats as small as they come. stfs come in more sizes but felt significantly significantly slower at the park.

101a radial slims or tablets sound pretty nice.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3436 on: December 11, 2020, 10:30:04 PM »
been riding bones spfs for a while know, but im finally wondering about trying formula fours. spfs are just kind of limiting as great as they are at the park. every crack is so jarring, even on a smooth sidewalk.

not only that but the size/shape options are limited for spfs, 54 conicals feel a little clunky, and thats as small as they come. stfs come in more sizes but felt significantly significantly slower at the park.

I have SPF, STF 103, STF 99, F4 101 and F4 99.    At the park, SPF are fastest - but my STFs are not far behind. I'm not sure why your STFs felt significantly slower.  Were they the same bearings?  Next, I find 101a F4 and 99a STF to be about the same speed at my super smooth park.  Slightly slower than 103 STF, but acceptable. 99 F4 to be the slowest of the bunch - and the only ones I find are too slow to ride there.

On the street, 99a STF and F4 are better.  101 F4s aren't too bad - much better than SPFs.

For me right now, if I had to have one setup only it would be 99a STF in a 54mm V5 and ceramic bearings. 

But instead I have 8-9 setups, because i have problems.

GoldenGateHeights

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3437 on: December 11, 2020, 10:56:46 PM »
Anyone else had trouble finding Chargers lately? My go-to's on my big boy for cruising are the 80HD 54mm and I've been striking out on them over the past month or two

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3438 on: December 11, 2020, 11:20:24 PM »
Anyone else had trouble finding Chargers lately? My go-to's on my big boy for cruising are the 80HD 54mm and I've been striking out on them over the past month or two

I am sure I saw some recently in a shop post, but I do follow a lot of shops so not sure I can recall where it was.

Also copied to the Spitfire Formula Four thread, just in case someone had seen some and can also post where.

For US, check Parade World, put in the cart and then look up where they are, but there are lots there.

https://www.paradeworld.com/search/?query=spitfire%20chargers

In Canada, Tiki Room has heaps of chargers, so check with your local as they might have some now too.

https://tikiroomskateboards.com/collections/spitfire
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 12:57:07 AM by Mbrimson88 »

sketchyrider

« Reply #3439 on: December 12, 2020, 07:20:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have SPF, STF 103, STF 99, F4 101 and F4 99.    At the park, SPF are fastest - but my STFs are not far behind. I'm not sure why your STFs felt significantly slower.  Were they the same bearings?  Next, I find 101a F4 and 99a STF to be about the same speed at my super smooth park.  Slightly slower than 103 STF, but acceptable. 99 F4 to be the slowest of the bunch - and the only ones I find are too slow to ride there.

On the street, 99a STF and F4 are better.  101 F4s aren't too bad - much better than SPFs.

For me right now, if I had to have one setup only it would be 99a STF in a 54mm V5 and ceramic bearings. 

they were swiss that needed a cleaning, but they were smaller too, 52s that might have even been worn. also back then i cranked down and used spacers, yeah...

ballintoohard

« Reply #3440 on: December 12, 2020, 08:08:01 AM »
After a few months on Loophole, which are pretty solid, I am going back to F4. The Loophole seem to be a bit too grippy in 99 to where they feel slower and just aren’t as fun to ride. I liked them a bit more than my SML, but not enough to want them long term.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #3441 on: December 12, 2020, 09:26:51 AM »
Why is it so incredibly difficult to find <51mm wheels these days?

Nobody seems to even make 48mm wheels anymore? Why?

I'm on a set of 99a 48mm Spitfire Low Downs now and actually dig the shape at 28mm wide, with a 17.5mm riding surface, but they're a little grippier than I'd like.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3442 on: December 12, 2020, 09:30:01 AM »
Why is it so incredibly difficult to find <51mm wheels these days?

Nobody seems to even make 48mm wheels anymore? Why?

I'm on a set of 99a 48mm Spitfire Low Downs now and actually dig the shape at 28mm wide, with a 17.5mm riding surface, but they're a little grippier than I'd like.

https://www.boardycakes.com/ have some.

Edit: I realise only the 42mm available atm. SML Wheels also have a 40mm and very soft  50 mm.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #3443 on: December 12, 2020, 10:00:40 AM »
I'm definitely aware of all the niche small ~40mm wheel brands, but I just don't understand why 50 and 48mm wheels are damn near extinct.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #3444 on: December 12, 2020, 10:11:57 AM »
I'm definitely aware of all the niche small ~40mm wheel brands, but I just don't understand why 50 and 48mm wheels are damn near extinct.

You can easily buy 50’s online. I’d imagine a lot of shops don’t feel the need to stock them due to low demand, but I’m not sure how that works. 52’s turn into 50’s rather quickly if you skate often.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3445 on: December 12, 2020, 10:40:15 AM »

Because they don't not sell very good. I rode 50mm for like 20 years. We at Sml. had to stop making them because we could't sell through even the minimum 125 sets we had to buy...basically 52 and up are the only solid sellers for us mom and pop brands.

We are working on a 48mm for next year but production times have doubled and in some cases tripled. So it's taking months just to get orders completed. 

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #3446 on: December 12, 2020, 03:15:25 PM »
I know its not ideal, but zumiez always has 49-51mm spitfire price points in stock. Classic shape and I believe classic formula, they change the name from time to time but as far as I can tell they're all pretty much the same. Kind of their version of the Bones 100 or an even cheaper bighead. I think they might make them exclusively for zumiez since I don't think I've ever seen them anywhere else.

Also TGM has boxes of 12 wheels for $15 right now, including 50mm. I think they're probably form or dura roller or one of those other pp brands that were always hidden in the back corner of the display case. I got some of the 55mm to use on rain boards and beaters and they're not bad.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #3447 on: December 12, 2020, 03:52:08 PM »
Anyone try the new Satoris?

I was a big fan for a long time, then started riding Bones and Spits when they went under the first time.

They reminded me of Prize Fighter wheels, I could never flatspot them and they were perfect for the rough Quebec ground.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3448 on: December 12, 2020, 06:58:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can't ride SPFs on street, just feels weird. Nothing beats them in smooth park tho. Can't ride F4 or STF 99s in park too sluggish, thos the STF 99s are better than the F4s in parks.

SPF (park bowls only)
101 STF/F4 park/smooth street
Rough anything = 99a STFs

Currently running:

50mm 99a STFs V2
51mm 101 Ricta super slims (narrower than Spit Tabs, it's a 'v3 tablet')
51mm 101 F4 tabs

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3449 on: December 12, 2020, 07:24:33 PM »

Right now even more so because with covid problems and production issues, they are only making the most common sizes until they get back on top of the shortage and can get back to full production.  Just before the covid crisis really hit, the only sizes that were left in stock in the local distributor were 48, 50, 58 and 60mm wheels as all the others were sold out.

It is funny though because 52mm is only 1 single mm difference in height off the ground to 50 mm but I know some people who will have a fit if they cannot get 50mm wheels, but once they are a bit worn in or slightly more used to them, they have enjoyed 52mm just as much.

I know I can feel the difference too, but at least look around and get the closest for now until things get back closer to normal.

I had a look around (based on US shops):

Still in stock in some places, the Formula Four 50mm wheel (at Geometric skate shop or 303boards):

https://www.paradeworld.com/products/spifire-formula-4-classic-50mm-99d-90-4493339066422/

Or just 50mm in general, add to cart, then see "More from this seller" to show the actual shop that has them:

https://www.paradeworld.com/search/?query=50mm

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 07:41:29 PM by Mbrimson88 »