Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777569 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3450 on: December 12, 2020, 08:31:54 PM »
Anyone try the new Satoris?

I was a big fan for a long time, then started riding Bones and Spits when they went under the first time.

They reminded me of Prize Fighter wheels, I could never flatspot them and they were perfect for the rough Quebec ground.

They look very similar to / the same as the SML wheels which are like (but not the same as) the classic Spitfire formula, which is not a bad thing.  I guess a lot of companies use wheels from certain manufacturers, who supply quite a few brands on the market.

From Cliff from the last page post and info about SML wheels: 

"So the ones with the flowers on the left are our AG formula (made specific Austyn) from Creative Urethane which is closer to a Spitfire Classic. They have a more traditional feel with a little bit easier slide-ability."

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3454496#msg3454496

This is the most in depth / close up pics I have seen of them, which does make them look pretty good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGnfFtfptaC/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #3451 on: December 12, 2020, 09:12:35 PM »

I was a big fan for a long time, then started riding Bones and Spits when they went under the first time.

They reminded me of Prize Fighter wheels, I could never flatspot them and they were perfect for the rough Quebec ground.

I think they're just creative, like the majority of the market. For what its worth, PFC (which is definitely creative) is going to be releasing new wheels in the near future. I don't think he's doing any really small ones in this first run though... I think he said 52 are the smallest. I would expect them to probably drop around January/February, or at least thats the timeline I heard a little while back. Not sure if the pandemic has pushed CU's production schedule back like other hardgoods.

Has anyone tried the 95a NFG yet? I've got a set (54mm squares) waiting for me when I get home next week. I'm really hoping its soft but not sticky, kinda like the creative 96a or OJ 97a formulas. I've tried the mini logo 95a hybrids and they're better than the old 90a ones but still a little too superball feeling for my tastes.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3452 on: December 13, 2020, 04:55:55 AM »
I’ve ridden my nfg 95a vee shape once and I like them. Seem to be similar performing but just cut the jittery and vibrations of a harder wheel on gravel or crusty pavement. Still barked a touch when slid. Need some more time with them

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #3453 on: December 13, 2020, 06:35:41 AM »

I’m skating them know and they’re great. I usually skate a bones 83b slim. I’m riding 101a vinyl cut satoris and they’re easily my favorite new wheel. Usually if I go softer than 83b I feel like the wheel is too sticky. This time it wasn’t the case.

hiljentaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #3454 on: December 13, 2020, 09:25:08 AM »
Because they don't not sell very good. I rode 50mm for like 20 years. We at Sml. had to stop making them because we could't sell through even the minimum 125 sets we had to buy...basically 52 and up are the only solid sellers for us mom and pop brands.

We are working on a 48mm for next year but production times have doubled and in some cases tripled. So it's taking months just to get orders completed.

I hear ya.

It's surprising that demand is so low for the smaller sizes.

Stoked to hear you're working on a 48. I'd love to see something like 27-28mm wide with a 18-19mm riding surface in your AG formula or maybe even a lil harder.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3455 on: December 13, 2020, 08:18:38 PM »
i couldn't skate 50mm wheels where i live. ground is way too rough in general. would be a skatepark only setup then.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3456 on: December 13, 2020, 08:44:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think they're just creative, like the majority of the market. For what its worth, PFC (which is definitely creative) is going to be releasing new wheels in the near future. I don't think he's doing any really small ones in this first run though... I think he said 52 are the smallest. I would expect them to probably drop around January/February, or at least thats the timeline I heard a little while back. Not sure if the pandemic has pushed CU's production schedule back like other hardgoods.

Has anyone tried the 95a NFG yet? I've got a set (54mm squares) waiting for me when I get home next week. I'm really hoping its soft but not sticky, kinda like the creative 96a or OJ 97a formulas. I've tried the mini logo 95a hybrids and they're better than the old 90a ones but still a little too superball feeling for my tastes.

I just set some 95a square up. They feel more like a 97 to me. They take just a bit more rattle out than my STF 99s, but don’t feel soft.  It started snowing here, so I only have about half an hour on them in a parking lot.

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3457 on: December 14, 2020, 03:15:05 PM »
I know its not ideal, but zumiez always has 49-51mm spitfire price points in stock. Classic shape and I believe classic formula, they change the name from time to time but as far as I can tell they're all pretty much the same. Kind of their version of the Bones 100 or an even cheaper bighead. I think they might make them exclusively for zumiez since I don't think I've ever seen them anywhere else.

Also TGM has boxes of 12 wheels for $15 right now, including 50mm. I think they're probably form or dura roller or one of those other pp brands that were always hidden in the back corner of the display case. I got some of the 55mm to use on rain boards and beaters and they're not bad.

I picked up a box of the 52mm tgm 12 wheel boxes and it only had one matching set of wheels in it. The others were random shape and durometers but there was a couple matching pairs so i picked up another box hoping that i would end up with at least 4 matching sets but the second box was worse than the first and didnt resemble the pictures at all. Ill be able to get 3 matching sets out of the 24 wheels with the rest being randoms/some pairs in shape, size, and weight. If anyone else grabbed these id be down to do a swap so we can get another set or 2 together. They should not have described the boxes as sets of wheels, just a box of 12 random wheels. One of the most disappointing skate purchases i have ever made.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3458 on: December 15, 2020, 05:23:34 AM »
Expand Quote
I know its not ideal, but zumiez always has 49-51mm spitfire price points in stock. Classic shape and I believe classic formula, they change the name from time to time but as far as I can tell they're all pretty much the same. Kind of their version of the Bones 100 or an even cheaper bighead. I think they might make them exclusively for zumiez since I don't think I've ever seen them anywhere else.

Also TGM has boxes of 12 wheels for $15 right now, including 50mm. I think they're probably form or dura roller or one of those other pp brands that were always hidden in the back corner of the display case. I got some of the 55mm to use on rain boards and beaters and they're not bad.
[close]

I picked up a box of the 52mm tgm 12 wheel boxes and it only had one matching set of wheels in it. The others were random shape and durometers but there was a couple matching pairs so i picked up another box hoping that i would end up with at least 4 matching sets but the second box was worse than the first and didnt resemble the pictures at all. Ill be able to get 3 matching sets out of the 24 wheels with the rest being randoms/some pairs in shape, size, and weight. If anyone else grabbed these id be down to do a swap so we can get another set or 2 together. They should not have described the boxes as sets of wheels, just a box of 12 random wheels. One of the most disappointing skate purchases i have ever made.

That hurt to read.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3459 on: December 15, 2020, 08:53:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hands down the stupidest idea for a mystery box ever.

ballintoohard

« Reply #3460 on: December 19, 2020, 12:32:43 PM »
did a few slappies and powerslidees on some Satori today, they felt grippier than my 99 f4

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3461 on: December 19, 2020, 01:01:03 PM »
Does anyone know of any wheels less grippy than F4’s? I have Stfs that are comparable but never come across any wheels that slide better than either of those

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3462 on: December 19, 2020, 08:45:22 PM »
Does anyone know of any wheels less grippy than F4’s? I have Stfs that are comparable but never come across any wheels that slide better than either of those

Not without the added unwanted bonus of possible flatspots, as most other super hard wheels I have seen or riden end up very easily flatspotted, including OJs insaneathane (not elite) and a few local Australian companies who use wheels from other big manufacturers.  Anything that states it uses the B scale rather than the A scale is usually going to be much harder.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3463 on: December 19, 2020, 09:26:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not without the added unwanted bonus of possible flatspots, as most other super hard wheels I have seen or riden end up very easily flatspotted, including OJs insaneathane (not elite) and a few local Australian companies who use wheels from other big manufacturers.  Anything that states it uses the B scale rather than the A scale is usually going to be much harder.

The funny thing is that I’ve tried a fair amount of harder wheels and while I’ve never had flat spots, none have come anywhere close to sliding like F4’s or Stfs (the harder ones, not 99a). Oj elites 101a, Loophole/NFG, Minilogo 101, they all feel pretty grippy in comparison. I’m guessing it’s more a formula thing

I guess I don’t really have any reason to look around, as  F4’s get the job done for me, but I’m curious to see how slippery a wheel I can skate without getting wrecked. Maybe I’ll try those insane a thanes if I can find them cheap

TumKayo

« Reply #3464 on: December 19, 2020, 09:47:15 PM »
I just did a mini comparison between my hard AF 101a dgk wheels and new F4 99a tablets. The 99 F4s definitely stay sliding easier, and grip better on dusty or clean concrete. Now I get it.

I don't think I'm quite at the experience level where I can benefit from them, but come spring/summer hopefully I'll get looser with it.

I am starting to like them more the more I use them too. I just need to get better to access this potential.

The more I skate them, the more I notice they are a bit slower than my other wheels though. However, I have this 1mm metal nail head sticking out of my garage that I always ride over. These wheels take it in stride best for their relative size. They are planted but not too sticky.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3465 on: December 20, 2020, 07:18:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The funny thing is that I’ve tried a fair amount of harder wheels and while I’ve never had flat spots, none have come anywhere close to sliding like F4’s or Stfs (the harder ones, not 99a). Oj elites 101a, Loophole/NFG, Minilogo 101, they all feel pretty grippy in comparison. I’m guessing it’s more a formula thing

I guess I don’t really have any reason to look around, as  F4’s get the job done for me, but I’m curious to see how slippery a wheel I can skate without getting wrecked. Maybe I’ll try those insane a thanes if I can find them cheap

I have a long mellow hill bitumen road here, so can set up whatever and do the slide test on lots of used wheels, which is pretty interesting.  Of all the Formula Four 99s I usually have, all are good to me, but the 101s have been a bit funny, some feel grippier than the 99s, but one set I just tried the other day was so super slippery compared to the rest.  I almost ended up on my ass the first slide before I controlled it and was sure they were sliding so much further than the rest, not just on that day alone.

It is also the best way of wearing down wheels that have come to me from others with flatspots in them too, and way more fun.

I think the majority of flatspots in wheels from others have been from slipping out on things, and usually only one or two wheels that have taken the heel impact, so fairly easy to get out too.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3466 on: December 20, 2020, 08:34:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have a long mellow hill bitumen road here, so can set up whatever and do the slide test on lots of used wheels, which is pretty interesting.  Of all the Formula Four 99s I usually have, all are good to me, but the 101s have been a bit funny, some feel grippier than the 99s, but one set I just tried the other day was so super slippery compared to the rest.  I almost ended up on my ass the first slide before I controlled it and was sure they were sliding so much further than the rest, not just on that day alone.

It is also the best way of wearing down wheels that have come to me from others with flatspots in them too, and way more fun.

I think the majority of flatspots in wheels from others have been from slipping out on things, and usually only one or two wheels that have taken the heel impact, so fairly easy to get out too.

That’s funny about the F4’s, I noticed the same thing. My 101’s are less consistent wheel to wheel as far as sliding goes. Some grip, some slide whereas the 99’s seem to pretty evenly give me the same grip to slide from wheel to wheel.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3467 on: December 28, 2020, 04:21:26 PM »
are 55mm wheels going to make the pop feel much steeper than 49mm? or is it unnoticeable? really dont want to run risers and i think forged plates (venture) is my only other option
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3468 on: December 28, 2020, 05:09:36 PM »
are 55mm wheels going to make the pop feel much steeper than 49mm? or is it unnoticeable? really dont want to run risers and i think forged plates (venture) is my only other option

That's a pretty big jump in wheels size, my dude. You'll notice for sure.

For 55mm wheels, depending on how tight you ride, you could get away with 53mm truck height.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3469 on: December 28, 2020, 06:32:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For 55mm wheels, depending on how tight you ride, you could get away with 53mm truck height.

indy 78a barrels for my 6.1s
cant run big trucks rattly loose without wheelbite suicide and this seems to be the next best thing

So looking at 49 to 55mm wheels, they would be 3mm closer to the deck and 3mm higher off the ground.  Put something that is 3mm under the back wheels and compare how much higher the nose will sit.  That is going to be the difference.

Also if you ride very loose trucks, they may or may not give you a fair bit of grief, depending on how strong your ankles are or how heavy you lean or land.

As XEN said, it is a bit of a jump and might take some time to get used to.  The up side is bigger wheels go faster and last longer.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3470 on: December 28, 2020, 07:01:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
indy 78a barrels for my 6.1s
cant run big trucks rattly loose without wheelbite suicide and this seems to be the next best thing
[close]

So looking at 49 to 55mm wheels, they would be 3mm closer to the deck and 3mm higher off the ground.  Put something that is 3mm under the back wheels and compare how much higher the nose will sit.  That is going to be the difference.

Also if you ride very loose trucks, they may or may not give you a fair bit of grief, depending on how strong your ankles are or how heavy you lean or land.

As XEN said, it is a bit of a jump and might take some time to get used to.  The up side is bigger wheels go faster and last longer.
thanks for the answers
put some 1/8 risers under the wheels and the difference with the nose up isnt worth new wheels.

just gonna see if i can snag some forged plates and see if the pop feels heavier/steeper with a "shorter" tail
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3471 on: December 30, 2020, 11:01:12 AM »

Diocletian

« Reply #3472 on: December 30, 2020, 12:56:11 PM »
Usually don't care for colored wheels but Dogtown has been killing it with their colors lately.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3473 on: December 31, 2020, 04:28:32 AM »
Getting back into skating after a few years off and was hoping you guys could help me with choosing some wheels. I'm looking for something fast but also reasonably grippy, I pretty much only skate my local park where the concrete is fairly chewed up so Ive always found a wider contact patch to be good. I've ridden a few different wheels and had mixed feelings about them. 99a formula fours were grippy enough for me but they just felt mushy and dull. STF 103a were fast as hell but definitely felt way too slippery. Right now I have on my board some OJ insanathane 101a I think? These are probably my favourite wheel yet, they are worn down and I'm ready for new ones but can't find these anymore. Which has me leaning towards the OJ elites. Any recommendations please?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3474 on: December 31, 2020, 06:22:11 AM »
Getting back into skating after a few years off and was hoping you guys could help me with choosing some wheels. I'm looking for something fast but also reasonably grippy, I pretty much only skate my local park where the concrete is fairly chewed up so Ive always found a wider contact patch to be good. I've ridden a few different wheels and had mixed feelings about them. 99a formula fours were grippy enough for me but they just felt mushy and dull. STF 103a were fast as hell but definitely felt way too slippery. Right now I have on my board some OJ insanathane 101a I think? These are probably my favourite wheel yet, they are worn down and I'm ready for new ones but can't find these anymore. Which has me leaning towards the OJ elites. Any recommendations please?

https://ojwheels.com/shapes

OJ Elites are a good wheel if you are not so keen on Spitfires and come in wider options and both 99 and 101.

Also if you found the Bones STF too slippery, the Bones SPF (Skate park formula which are just as hard but not slippery) might be a bit more to your liking and although they come in round wider shapes with a medium contact patch, they are one of the longest lasting and least likely to flatspot, especially compared to OJs.

What size are you looking at?

Diocletian

« Reply #3475 on: December 31, 2020, 07:00:29 AM »
Bones STF 99a will be perfect for you. Good grip and still a hard enough to keep you rolling fast.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3476 on: December 31, 2020, 07:18:42 AM »
97 spits is the correct answer no?  SPF are stickier but when you describe STF's as way too slippery...the difference isn't that much.  The hardest key frames are an option too.....

sketchyrider

« Reply #3477 on: December 31, 2020, 10:56:21 AM »
Bones STF 99a will be perfect for you. Good grip and still a hard enough to keep you rolling fast.

word, i got these for a curb board and they are honestly harder than i expected. speaking of which, has anyone used 92a wheels for slappys? i think i want some for a crusty spot but worried they are too grippy.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3478 on: December 31, 2020, 12:04:54 PM »
The OJ 95a Nomads are worth considering also. I'm two months into a set of 54mms and they are holding up really well.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #3479 on: December 31, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Mosaic_CS_Clover_83b_Wheels/descpage-MSCLVWH.html

These caught my eye today... anyone know anything about them? 48mm 83b and they look pretty fat, so I'm wondering if they're basically a harder version of the boardy cakes benchwarmers. Next time I need something to put me over the free shipping threshold or if they turn up in one of my local shops I might try them. I think mosaic is a euro company so I wonder if they use creative like most people or if theres some EU equivalent.

Since I got back to Pittsburgh its been a steady diet of snow and salt, so I've been skating 56mm 97a creature/OJ and the 54mm square NFG 95a formula a lot. Really loving the NFG... its not as soft as the 95a minilogo formula and it actually feels about the same or maybe even slightly harder than the 97a OJ and Pig formulas I skated last winter. It slides really well but still soaks up cracks and trucks over those little compacted salt nuggets that have taken me down more times than I can count. I was pretty skeptical about them and since I was in Texas for the entire time they were on sale I only got the squares, really wish I'd grabbed the V cuts now. The squares are great but I feel like the V cut would be pretty close to my ideal winter wheel. Hopefully they do another run of 95a again soon.