Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777654 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3630 on: March 17, 2021, 06:12:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Loopholes are the the shit. Everyone should try them. As good as bones or spit for sure. 58 tears would be the bees knees.

So I need help

I'm thinking about getting g slides rn even though they are green.  I was wondering if slap has an opinion on them?

I'd rather have a 95a or a 97a wheel if the g slides suck.

Sliding has saved my life so many times skating across Marblehead to see the sunrise.
[close]

I’ve had two sets of Gslides and they are ok as a cruiser wheel, but the slide goes away really really quickly. They seem to slide ok (for a soft wheel) for the first few sessions but once the outer layer comes off they are as grippy as any other soft wheel.

By slide, I mean power slides on asphalt for normal street skating.

The only soft wheels I’ve ever found that slide consistently for a long period of time are the 85a cruiser wheels that used to be on Pennswoods website and those look to be sold out.

If you want to try a 97a that has consistent slide, try the new 97a F4’s. I’ve had mine for over a month and do a ton of slidey stuff and they are fantastic. They feel a little nicer on crust than the 99s, grip slightly more but break into slides really easy and the slide is steady.
[close]

That's what I figured.

I should just ride my old 97a bones from the 80s

I just saw that they are making starting to make G Slides with their Dragonskin formula, which is their sought-after burly downhill wheel.

If they make normal sized wheels in that stuff I’m definitely getting a set
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

sketchyrider

« Reply #3631 on: March 17, 2021, 06:27:11 AM »
https://www.hazardwheels.com/

i wish there was a wheel more slippery then stf 104a..

i felt f4 101a's were more slippery than the spf 104s and stf 103s

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3632 on: March 17, 2021, 06:45:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

To confuse matters further, I feel that my F4 99’s are more slippery than my F4 101’s

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3633 on: March 17, 2021, 06:49:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Loopholes are the the shit. Everyone should try them. As good as bones or spit for sure. 58 tears would be the bees knees.

So I need help

I'm thinking about getting g slides rn even though they are green.  I was wondering if slap has an opinion on them?

I'd rather have a 95a or a 97a wheel if the g slides suck.

Sliding has saved my life so many times skating across Marblehead to see the sunrise.
[close]

I’ve had two sets of Gslides and they are ok as a cruiser wheel, but the slide goes away really really quickly. They seem to slide ok (for a soft wheel) for the first few sessions but once the outer layer comes off they are as grippy as any other soft wheel.

By slide, I mean power slides on asphalt for normal street skating.

The only soft wheels I’ve ever found that slide consistently for a long period of time are the 85a cruiser wheels that used to be on Pennswoods website and those look to be sold out.

If you want to try a 97a that has consistent slide, try the new 97a F4’s. I’ve had mine for over a month and do a ton of slidey stuff and they are fantastic. They feel a little nicer on crust than the 99s, grip slightly more but break into slides really easy and the slide is steady.
[close]

That's what I figured.

I should just ride my old 97a bones from the 80s

I forgot to mention that the Powell bombers I have (85a) slide ok too.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3634 on: March 17, 2021, 07:02:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

To confuse matters further, I feel that my F4 99’s are more slippery than my F4 101’s

you aren't the only one. and a lot of people say stf's are more slippery than spf's. who knows...

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #3635 on: March 17, 2021, 07:18:37 AM »
Has anyone ridden the OJ Nomads? How were they?

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #3636 on: March 17, 2021, 07:21:12 AM »
i just recently switched to dialtones after skating pretty much only f4s for 6 years and they are the only wheels i’ve skated during those 6 years that slide easily (not as easily as f4s but way better than for example bones). didn’t even have to get used to them and haven’t gotten any flatspots yet, even after bombing some hills. good wheels.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3637 on: March 17, 2021, 07:32:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

you aren't the only one. and a lot of people say stf's are more slippery than spf's. who knows...

mght as well go with stf 99a for street then...

too broke for f4 its like 60cad for a set
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3638 on: March 17, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

mght as well go with stf 99a for street then...

too broke for f4 its like 60cad for a set

Oddly enough, the 99a Stfs I’ve had are pretty grippy and don’t slide very well. At least the newer ones. When they first came out the white ones slid comparably to f4 but the natural color ones after those seem drastically different

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3639 on: March 17, 2021, 09:25:55 AM »
The new Bones 99 duro wheels seem significantly cheaper here, but the older styles of STF and SPF are more expensive along with everything else that has gone up since covid.

Anyone else noticed that?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #3640 on: March 19, 2021, 12:16:49 PM »
I know a few of you guys are fans of these so I figured I'd let you know that Prize Fighter has wheels again.

https://www.prizefightercutlery.com

I ordered a set of 53mm... They look to be somewhat of a wide but not conical shape, almost like a fat classic. A friend who already has them sent me this Pic -  tablets on the left, PFC 52mm in the middle, and classics on the right.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3641 on: March 19, 2021, 12:30:37 PM »
I know a few of you guys are fans of these so I figured I'd let you know that Prize Fighter has wheels again.

I ordered a set of 53mm... They look to be somewhat of a wide but not conical shape, almost like a fat classic. A friend who already has them sent me this Pic -  tablets on the left, PFC 52mm in the middle, and classics on the right.

That is a real nice shape. I will see if I can get them in Europe. Thanks for the head ups BFRD
IG: @flowterspace

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3642 on: March 19, 2021, 02:27:44 PM »

That's a fat fucking wheel!

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #3643 on: March 19, 2021, 03:10:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That is a real nice shape. I will see if I can get them in Europe. Thanks for the head ups BFRD

Hit him up on Instagram and see how much it would be. It's basically one dude doing things himself for the right reasons (like DOA, but wheels) so you can communicate directly with him pretty easily. Theres a few shops that are carrying them as well. I know library, comfort, and solstice all have/will have them so keep an eye on their websites.

Alternatively, if you've got a relationship with a local shop or distributor over there it may be worth asking them to order some. I'm sure it would be cheaper than sending a single set over and you could be the cool kid with wheels no one else has and you can be like "yeah it's an underground brand from New York... You've probably never heard of it." and then take a drag off your cigarette and roll your eyes.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3644 on: March 19, 2021, 03:22:55 PM »
yep, Library has them live right now
https://libraryskateshop.com/collections/wheels?sort_by=created-descending

53mm Round cut
Riding surface-16.5mm
Overall Width-33.5mm

54m Round cut.
Riding surface-17mm
Overall Width-34mm

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3645 on: March 20, 2021, 01:35:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hit him up on Instagram and see how much it would be. It's basically one dude doing things himself for the right reasons (like DOA, but wheels) so you can communicate directly with him pretty easily. Theres a few shops that are carrying them as well. I know library, comfort, and solstice all have/will have them so keep an eye on their websites.

Alternatively, if you've got a relationship with a local shop or distributor over there it may be worth asking them to order some. I'm sure it would be cheaper than sending a single set over and you could be the cool kid with wheels no one else has and you can be like "yeah it's an underground brand from New York... You've probably never heard of it." and then take a drag off your cigarette and roll your eyes.

Thanks again for the help BFRD. I will hit him up on insta and see what is possible.
IG: @flowterspace

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3646 on: March 20, 2021, 02:29:54 PM »

That's a really nice shape wheel.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Diocletian

« Reply #3647 on: March 20, 2021, 09:15:16 PM »
Just wanted to chime in and say Bones makes a 99a "fatties" wheel that is identical to those prizefighters. I have some sitting in my junk box but too lazy to post a pic.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3648 on: March 20, 2021, 09:56:33 PM »
Just wanted to chime in and say Bones makes a 99a "fatties" wheel that is identical to those prizefighters. I have some sitting in my junk box but too lazy to post a pic.

They look like the sort of wheel shape I would enjoy, classic full shape.  It is their P2 shape from the SPF line, which I have had before in bigger sizes and they skate well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3649 on: March 20, 2021, 10:37:59 PM »
I have a couple sets of the “Easy street” fatties aka 99a stf from when they first came out. They are a great shape and slid pretty nice too, though they felt a little slow. Curious how these prizefighters will slide.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3650 on: March 21, 2021, 02:50:52 AM »
PFC aren’t coming to Japan on this batch :(

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3651 on: March 21, 2021, 05:25:23 PM »
Expand Quote
I just set up a cruiser with some 87a OJ Keyframes, and I'm not sure how much I like them

The roll and speed are great, but as soon as I get out in the streets I find myself wanting to rip some slappies, and unfortunately the stickiness of the Keyframes makes it much less consistent than I would like

I searched the thread and read previous comments, but there are a few things I'd like to follow up on:

Does the stickiness wear away after you break them in at all?

Do other people get their Keyframes to slide and slappy?

Should I try a slightly harder wheel? Seems like there aren't that many options currently available in the 90a-92a range, but some people like the 92a Ricta Clouds. I see 95a OJ Nomads for sale in a couple places as well.

For background, I normally ride 99a f4s in various sizes and shapes, and I'm looking for something just a little easier on my knees for those lazy/stiff days.
[close]

Unfortunately, my experience is they’ll stay sticky but also slow down considerably. What size are the keyframes? For cruiser, I skate Powell G-Slides, they’re 85a but not as sticky, feel harder, not bouncy and down lose their speed as much with age - just better quality urethane than OJ etc I guess. I skated the 54s and that was fun changeup to give my knees a break, but didn’t lose all feel like some cruisers. Works for me. I always go back to spitfire 101a for my street setup, but in my experience, spitfire/oj/ricta etc just don’t make a good quality lasting cruiser wheels.

Ok chiming in with an update on my cruiser wheel madness

The keyframes I’ve had are 87a 58mm. I actually asked for 56s when I bought them and didn’t realize they were 58s until I had been skating them for a while. Lol, whoops

After getting used to them I definitely got my slappies back, but they still feel weird and bouncy for a lot of stuff. Reverts and power slides are pretty much out of the question for me, although others may just be better skaters. Boardslides on parking blocks and curbs and stuff are kind of difficult as well because the wheels tend to get stuck if the obstacle is low clearance.

On the positive side, I really enjoy how grippy they are when I want to lay down deep surfy carves.

So I decided to try a set of 92a 56mm ricta cored clouds. Not sure how different they are from plain old clouds, or if this is an aesthetic thing or what. Based on reviews in this thread I thought they seemed promising for a wheel that could both cruise and slide. 

I find that these clouds are definitely easier to boardslide, revert, and powerslide. No problems there. Slappies are a little easier as well. Nose and tail slides are strangely a bit more sticky for some reason? Could just be my own poor performance. They have a distinct rattling plasticky feeling right now, idk if it will change. They also aren’t as responsive for quick carves as the OJs, and make steering feel less responsive in general. I’m always surprised by how different wheel sizes and shapes affect turning— often overlooked imo. Also note this is on a polar dane1 with ace 55s, so handling would definitely be different on a popsicle or a narrower set of trucks.

Could definitely be a good street wheel to throw on if you want to hit a particularly jacked up spot but I’m not it’s quite right for my own purposes, which are basically “cruiser that can slide a bit.”

Maybe I’ll try some G Slides next?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 05:39:05 PM by mj23 »

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #3652 on: March 21, 2021, 05:48:30 PM »
I just ordered some those PFC 53s. haven't skated wheels that small in a wicked long time but I saw numerous people talking about ordering 53s so I figured why the fuck not?

Anyone skate the Loopholes? I'm thinking I wanna get a set of 56 V cuts. How do they slide? grip?

Been riding Bones STF, got a set of 54 and 56 since I started skating again and they're pretty good but I'm not sold that they're what I want and I'm having fun seeing what fits best with how I'm skating.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3653 on: March 21, 2021, 06:06:39 PM »
I just ordered some those PFC 53s. haven't skated wheels that small in a wicked long time but I saw numerous people talking about ordering 53s so I figured why the fuck not?

Anyone skate the Loopholes? I'm thinking I wanna get a set of 56 V cuts. How do they slide? grip?

Been riding Bones STF, got a set of 54 and 56 since I started skating again and they're pretty good but I'm not sold that they're what I want and I'm having fun seeing what fits best with how I'm skating.

Good wheels, they get compared to F4 a lot but they do not slide nearly as well IMO. That being said they roll over pretty much anything and feel very smooth on rough ground for such a hard wheel. And they last forever.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3654 on: March 21, 2021, 06:35:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good wheels, they get compared to F4 a lot but they do not slide nearly as well IMO. That being said they roll over pretty much anything and feel very smooth on rough ground for such a hard wheel. And they last forever.

sick. that smooth ride is what I feel is missing in the bones wheels I'm riding. maybe it's because I'm older or something. I don't know but I'm not finding them to slide particularly well on the street either.

Stlfromca

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3655 on: March 21, 2021, 08:47:37 PM »
I wonder if a formula four 97a feels like a classic 99a?  lol

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3656 on: March 22, 2021, 04:36:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

my 56 v-cut loopholes perform better than F4s in my experience, they are the best wheels I have ever owned period!!!! Having said that, I have a set of 52mm teardrops and they are not on the same level ... I'm guessing there are discrepancies with the hand pouring?

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3657 on: March 22, 2021, 04:57:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
my 56 v-cut loopholes perform better than F4s in my experience, they are the best wheels I have ever owned period!!!! Having said that, I have a set of 52mm teardrops and they are not on the same level ... I'm guessing there are discrepancies with the hand pouring?

what do you mean that they perform better? something I'm not liking with the STF 83b is that the sorta don't really feel like urethane, but more like wicked hard plastic.

ballintoohard

« Reply #3658 on: March 22, 2021, 05:15:31 PM »
I found my Loopholes slower and didn't slide as well as 99 F4 and they didn't measure the advertised side.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3659 on: March 22, 2021, 08:41:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

what do you mean that they perform better? something I'm not liking with the STF 83b is that the sorta don't really feel like urethane, but more like wicked hard plastic.
they slide better than 99 F4s and don't feel plasticy at all. As I said though, this is my experience on the set I'm riding; if all loopholes performed the same, I'd have no qualms only riding them from here on out! There is a consistency issue though because my 52mm teardrops are defs not up to scratch....