Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777574 times)

europa1991

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 50
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4200 on: September 27, 2021, 11:25:50 AM »
Got the Shin OJ 58’s at a shop where I was passing through. So far I like them a lot- only got one good session in but I like how sticky they are? Idk.  Maybe I’m just new to OJ’s since I’ve been skating FF’s for years.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4201 on: September 27, 2021, 03:46:11 PM »
I decided I wanted to switch it up a little from what I've been riding recently, so I got some Mini Cubics. I've been riding 60mm 95a wheels for a little over a year now, so I don't think the extra 4mm on top will affect me as much as the drastic increase in wideness will lol. I'll be going from a 33.5mm wide wheel to one that is 57mm wide, so I'll be increasing the width of my board by about 1.85 inches. While writing this comment I realized that I do not have either a board or a set of trucks to accommodate the additional width, so it looks like I walked myself into setting up a new complete again. I'm thinking I'll either use a 7.625" set of trucks with a ~9.5" board or get some Indy 109's with an 8.75" or maybe I'll find someone with a penny board they aren't using, harvest the hangars from their trucks and set them up with a different baseplate and some nicer bushings. The last time I used someone's penny board trucks it was a penny knockoff by Kryptonics, and they ended up turning pretty well. They were like 6" so I think that'll give me more wiggle room in terms of board sizing.

I posted this in the big wheel appreciation thread but I got the Mini Cubics and holy shit are they big. I have them flipped inside out on my Ace 44s (recommended by a guy in the big wheel appreciation thread) pretty much because I don't currently have trucks small enough to fit them on a deck that I have, nor do I have a deck big enough to use with the trucks I picked out to use with them (7.625" wide Orion "SP-1"s from the early 2000s I found in my garage amongst a bunch of other old trucks either my brother or I used 20 years ago, I put some Bones mediums on them, with the Mini Cubics on them the right way they measure ~9 1/8" wide, I'll probably set them up with a 9" deck)

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #4202 on: September 27, 2021, 09:10:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone have recommendations for fast cruiser wheels? The best I’ve ridden were the older Mini Logo AWOL 59mm 78a. They’re a bit slimmer and lighter than the 60mm Super Juices. I don’t know if it’s due to that or just a better formula but they just accelerate quicker and roll longer.

I don’t care a ton about how well they slide or pop, I just want a soft wheel that’s fast and smooth and somewhere around 60mm. I haven’t tried the newer 80a Mini Logo AWOLs which are cheap but before I go for them, I figure maybe someone knows about Powell soft formulas and maybe there’s like a Powell “equivalent” that improves on the mini logo stuff? Or maybe some long board brand wheels or something? I don’t know, I’ve been obsessing over hard wheels for a while and meanwhile I’m like super gluing cuts and chunks back together on these soft wheels to keep them going. Time for something new.
[close]

https://bones.com/skateboard-wheels/rough-riders

I think these are what you're looking for, I haven't tried them personally but I have heard from Neil Blender's social media and from other old heads whose opinions are worth trusting about skate gear that these are the shit. They come in 56mm and 59mm.
[close]

One more vote for roughriders. Very fast and smooth. I have a set on my polarizer-style set up snd they are dreamy.

The only negative point is that they are fragile to impact. No slappies or other tricks, or you’ll be gluing the chunks you took out back on.

But for strictly cruising I’ve ridden nothing better
Thanks for this and all the other responses! Regarding their fragility, would you expect to see the same chunking and cracking on the Rough Riders from hitting bumps and sliding patches of pebbles and stuff? I’m not really trying to hit any terrain that I couldn’t somehow roll over or through otherwise. I know the clouds have a rep for holding up to some abuse. @Xen @VelcroWallet does this factor into why y’all are fans of clouds?

I guess if I trash a set of rough riders quick, it’ll be the third different set of that type of wheel and I can just move on and start messing with the clouds/key frames style.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4203 on: September 28, 2021, 03:28:42 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0VIeA90AB8

You just need to start riding OJ’s

to anyone that runs ojs, do they slide like this in the 99a formula? would love to slide like this but not willing to sacrifice my knees/joints with the 103a duro
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

JK42

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4204 on: September 29, 2021, 06:22:59 AM »
After all the positive vibes about them i have decided to have a roll on the wheel less travelled

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4205 on: October 01, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone have recommendations for fast cruiser wheels? The best I’ve ridden were the older Mini Logo AWOL 59mm 78a. They’re a bit slimmer and lighter than the 60mm Super Juices. I don’t know if it’s due to that or just a better formula but they just accelerate quicker and roll longer.

I don’t care a ton about how well they slide or pop, I just want a soft wheel that’s fast and smooth and somewhere around 60mm. I haven’t tried the newer 80a Mini Logo AWOLs which are cheap but before I go for them, I figure maybe someone knows about Powell soft formulas and maybe there’s like a Powell “equivalent” that improves on the mini logo stuff? Or maybe some long board brand wheels or something? I don’t know, I’ve been obsessing over hard wheels for a while and meanwhile I’m like super gluing cuts and chunks back together on these soft wheels to keep them going. Time for something new.
[close]

https://bones.com/skateboard-wheels/rough-riders

I think these are what you're looking for, I haven't tried them personally but I have heard from Neil Blender's social media and from other old heads whose opinions are worth trusting about skate gear that these are the shit. They come in 56mm and 59mm.
[close]

One more vote for roughriders. Very fast and smooth. I have a set on my polarizer-style set up snd they are dreamy.

The only negative point is that they are fragile to impact. No slappies or other tricks, or you’ll be gluing the chunks you took out back on.

But for strictly cruising I’ve ridden nothing better
[close]
Thanks for this and all the other responses! Regarding their fragility, would you expect to see the same chunking and cracking on the Rough Riders from hitting bumps and sliding patches of pebbles and stuff? I’m not really trying to hit any terrain that I couldn’t somehow roll over or through otherwise. I know the clouds have a rep for holding up to some abuse. @Xen @VelcroWallet does this factor into why y’all are fans of clouds?

I guess if I trash a set of rough riders quick, it’ll be the third different set of that type of wheel and I can just move on and start messing with the clouds/key frames style.

Ricta just hold up (as do their recent hard/street/park wheels), that said, the set of rough riders also held up but were a bit more sticky. Clouds also have more duro options last I checked.

Expand Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0VIeA90AB8

You just need to start riding OJ’s
[close]

to anyone that runs ojs, do they slide like this in the 99a formula? would love to slide like this but not willing to sacrifice my knees/joints with the 103a duro

Only skated the 101s and found them to be very grippy; you need to haul ass to get them to break (just watch that leeper vid or Milton skate).

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4206 on: October 01, 2021, 06:22:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm after some wide 58-60mm wheels for ditches.  I've got some 90A Rat Bones and they're ok but just a bit soft, is there anything else out there around like 95A I should check out?
[close]

NFG 95a 60mm Vee shape

https://www.nfgmfg.com/product-page/grim-95a-ptf-crust-60mm-vee
[close]

Yeah these wheels are dope.  Thanks again for the tip.

Seconding this. Just set up some 54mm vee's, definitely fill the gap for soft-hard wheels. Was a bit of pain to get em into Canada, but worth it. Was using keyframes for rough spots but the NFG's actually slide, don't bounce, and still eat shitty ground. 

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #4207 on: October 02, 2021, 01:16:40 PM »
Switched from PFC 53s to Bones STF 56s.

Gawd damn. I have no idea why I was trying to skate small wheels
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #4208 on: October 03, 2021, 12:16:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I want to give Shin my money but not sure if I want to stray from Loophole and maybe the occasional F4.
On another note, how do 58mm wheels ride on aces? I already rock 1/8 riser pads, should I go up to 1/4”?
[close]

i ride the 60mm f4 spitfires without a riser on 44 classics and it works but i only really skate transition. if you skate lots of flat / street i'd run a riser
[close]

I think you'll be fine with 1/8". I am a pretty big guy and when I was running that combo (58mm speedlabs, Ace 44s, 1/8" risers) I never got serious wheelbite. I did eventually move up to 1/4" for that one, but it was moreso for pop feel.

Unrelated to that, I just want to skate my 87a keyframes all the time lately. I figured out how to revert and do power slides on them and am now addicted to how smooth they feel. Half of me is like "You need to stop this now" and the other half says, "relax, you're old, be comfortable".

I ended up buying another set and can't decide if I should set them up or go exchange them for some conical fulls.
@Macho Taildrop Dude yes this has happened to me too! Ive been using Keyframes to film for years now but I would usually just use them on my regular board so I would switch them out all the time to use the board to skate normally. The other day I set up a Cruiser/Filmer board and I have been skating that as a daily driver for the past week and a half. I can't revert or make them slide too well (please tell me how) but I'm in love with how smooth yet good for regular skating they are. 

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #4209 on: October 03, 2021, 07:00:36 AM »
After all the positive vibes about them i have decided to have a roll on the wheel less travelled

Welcome to the fold
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4210 on: October 03, 2021, 07:08:05 AM »

Because every size wheel has their place, depending on what you are doing.

I have some 60+ for big go fast wheels, then between 56 - 54 for more normal all rounders (mainly medium transition skating) but I have always had a setup or two with smaller wheels on it, down to 50 and less, but usually more around the 52 size generally, which is fun to muck around on in carparks (curbs) and more street type skateparks.

Funny when I get on the bigger wheel boards, I often think I don't want to go back to smaller wheels, but when doing small things like slappy nose or tail slides it just works better on 50 mm wheels.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4211 on: October 03, 2021, 08:03:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Because every size wheel has their place, depending on what you are doing.

I have some 60+ for big go fast wheels, then between 56 - 54 for more normal all rounders (mainly medium transition skating) but I have always had a setup or two with smaller wheels on it, down to 50 and less, but usually more around the 52 size generally, which is fun to muck around on in carparks (curbs) and more street type skateparks.

Funny when I get on the bigger wheel boards, I often think I don't want to go back to smaller wheels, but when doing small things like slappy nose or tail slides it just works better on 50 mm wheels.

this! I have one setup with 52mm on it and another with 56 conicals, they compliment each other really well!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4212 on: October 03, 2021, 09:46:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I want to give Shin my money but not sure if I want to stray from Loophole and maybe the occasional F4.
On another note, how do 58mm wheels ride on aces? I already rock 1/8 riser pads, should I go up to 1/4”?
[close]

i ride the 60mm f4 spitfires without a riser on 44 classics and it works but i only really skate transition. if you skate lots of flat / street i'd run a riser
[close]

I think you'll be fine with 1/8". I am a pretty big guy and when I was running that combo (58mm speedlabs, Ace 44s, 1/8" risers) I never got serious wheelbite. I did eventually move up to 1/4" for that one, but it was moreso for pop feel.

Unrelated to that, I just want to skate my 87a keyframes all the time lately. I figured out how to revert and do power slides on them and am now addicted to how smooth they feel. Half of me is like "You need to stop this now" and the other half says, "relax, you're old, be comfortable".

I ended up buying another set and can't decide if I should set them up or go exchange them for some conical fulls.
[close]
@Macho Taildrop Dude yes this has happened to me too! Ive been using Keyframes to film for years now but I would usually just use them on my regular board so I would switch them out all the time to use the board to skate normally. The other day I set up a Cruiser/Filmer board and I have been skating that as a daily driver for the past week and a half. I can't revert or make them slide too well (please tell me how) but I'm in love with how smooth yet good for regular skating they are.

Yeah, it's addictive. I did set up some F4s on another board and have been rotating between the two but the keyframes are getting a lot of love. For reverts, it's just being a little lighter on my feet than normal though it definitely isn't as easy or graceful as on my spits.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4213 on: October 05, 2021, 10:50:45 AM »

just got the Natas OJ 58mm 95a wheels

i mostly skate in a parking lot with bad ground + hitting a curb. it feels amazing the speed you get on these and it costs you no energy. you cant powerslide as good as STF but i dont really care about that anymore. i have another setup if i want to do that. they grip the floor a bit better if you want to make a really tight turn on a manual or some shit it is a lot better thna having STF in situations like that. not sure if they will flat spot easily tohugh will have to see. i mean they arent THAT soft hopefully they dont get chewed on a hill bomb powerslide but will try to avoid that til after the wnter at least lol
ONTARIO CANADA

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4214 on: October 05, 2021, 02:34:25 PM »
Between 95a 54mm OJs nomads and 99a  54mm F4 conicals (not the fulls) is one a preferred all around street wheel slides ,power slides, and can handle some mild Midwest crust?

I typically skate F4 classics and currently on bones v5

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
« Reply #4215 on: October 13, 2021, 06:06:43 AM »
Hardy Boy,
Are you a real human being writing like that?
I keep seeing bots in here writing like they learned how to speak from reading Amazon reviews.

Are you for real?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #4216 on: October 13, 2021, 06:54:02 AM »
I recently allowed logic back into my life to fight the gear madness and went back to riding 99a F4 Conical Fulls.  Honestly, I think they’re the best wheel for everything.  The 99a slides and grips well, you get a wide riding surface for crusty spots, you arnt slowed down by a softer wheel formula, and the edges are just rounded enough to ride up into slappys easily.  There are other wheels that look/feel cooler IMO that I’ve skated recently - Loophole v-cuts, big Spitfire OG classics, the 97a F4’s, but the 99a conical fulls just make sense. Currently riding a set of 53 mm cause the shop was out of 54s.

Has anyone also gone through this process only to end up back on good old conical fulls?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #4217 on: October 13, 2021, 07:40:45 AM »
I recently allowed logic back into my life to fight the gear madness and went back to riding 99a F4 Conical Fulls.  Honestly, I think they’re the best wheel for everything.  The 99a slides and grips well, you get a wide riding surface for crusty spots, you arnt slowed down by a softer wheel formula, and the edges are just rounded enough to ride up into slappys easily.  There are other wheels that look/feel cooler IMO that I’ve skated recently - Loophole v-cuts, big Spitfire OG classics, the 97a F4’s, but the 99a conical fulls just make sense. Currently riding a set of 53 mm cause the shop was out of 54s.

Has anyone also gone through this process only to end up back on good old conical fulls?

Yeah, I’ve got a stash of wheels, none of which I bought at retail, that I keep fucking with. Every time I stray too far from Spitfire F4 conical full 97a wheels, I instantly regret my mistake. Actually skated some OJs yesterday and they were noticeably slower despite being harder (I know that hardness does not necessarily equal speed).

Actually took all my other sets of wheels out yesterday and I’m going to post them for sale or trade in the classifieds. If anyone has some 97as they don’t enjoy, hmu.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4218 on: October 13, 2021, 08:43:41 AM »
This has probably been mentioned before but it’s cool how black wheels are kind of becoming popular, at least from what I see on Instagram among younger skaters

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4219 on: October 13, 2021, 11:20:10 AM »

Yup

Ol Nick

« Reply #4220 on: October 13, 2021, 04:12:17 PM »

On y’all’s recommendation I set up some Rough Riders 59mm on a freshly-cleaned set of Quantum Isotopes and this thing flys now. I had the mini logos wheels for so long, I have no idea what they felt like new but they were always my favorite cause of their quick acceleration, lighter weight, and overall feel. The Rough Riders are lighter and quicker, are incredibly smooth, but don’t feel quite as bouncy as the mini logos or Super Juices, etc.
They grip really well too. Last night I was coming way too fast off the street into a bank’s driveway with a backpack loaded with groceries (and I’m a bigger dude). I was too weighted over the back truck and wasn’t turning hard enough but millimeters before essentially powersliding to Superman over/into a curb and shrubbery, I just hail-Mary carved as hard as I could, way harder than I’d be comfortable doing for fun, and the back two wheels just held the swerve to save my ass.
Anyway, these are gonna be fun to break in, I’ll update as far as their fragility once I’m ready to really abuse them. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4221 on: October 13, 2021, 06:46:26 PM »
I've been really liking Autobahn Street Slims for the 2 setups I've ridden them on, ridden then in 54 and now 51 which I feel is the sweet spot for them (51-52). Not as grippy or flatspot resistant as F4, but they slide fast with a shape that makes for good technical skating. F4 just look chunky by comparison. Excel at smooth parks, rough asphalt is no bueno. A good choice if you got some gear madness that need to be scratched.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4222 on: October 13, 2021, 09:15:39 PM »

good for you, loophole 56 v-cut are my go to at the moment, but I just got some 97 conical fulls so let's see how they go

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

pops

• Rep: 218
« Reply #4223 on: October 13, 2021, 10:08:40 PM »
Any recommendations on Santa Cruz Slimeballs? Looking for an alternative to my conical fulls. I like wheel sizes 53-55mm, mostly use 99a.

pops

• Rep: 218
« Reply #4224 on: October 20, 2021, 03:30:41 AM »
I'm about to get some Oj Super Juice Minis for my cruiser Those are 55mm and I ride Ace trucks. Normally I have 54mm 99d wheels and no risers, no problem with wheelbites. These Ojs are 1mm bigger and much softer than my usual wheels so would it be better to use risers with these to get more turning radius and less wheelbite?

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #4225 on: October 20, 2021, 05:46:17 AM »
This has probably been mentioned before but it’s cool how black wheels are kind of becoming popular, at least from what I see on Instagram among younger skaters

It makes a lot of sense considering half the surface of the wheel turns black anyways.

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4226 on: October 20, 2021, 01:19:25 PM »

On y’all’s recommendation I set up some Rough Riders 59mm on a freshly-cleaned set of Quantum Isotopes and this thing flys now. I had the mini logos wheels for so long, I have no idea what they felt like new but they were always my favorite cause of their quick acceleration, lighter weight, and overall feel. The Rough Riders are lighter and quicker, are incredibly smooth, but don’t feel quite as bouncy as the mini logos or Super Juices, etc.
They grip really well too. Last night I was coming way too fast off the street into a bank’s driveway with a backpack loaded with groceries (and I’m a bigger dude). I was too weighted over the back truck and wasn’t turning hard enough but millimeters before essentially powersliding to Superman over/into a curb and shrubbery, I just hail-Mary carved as hard as I could, way harder than I’d be comfortable doing for fun, and the back two wheels just held the swerve to save my ass.
Anyway, these are gonna be fun to break in, I’ll update as far as their fragility once I’m ready to really abuse them. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

Ive been thinking about trying these too, my 10+ years old Powell wheels have got too hard with time. Have you tried the oj keyframes by any chance? Having a hard time choosing between the two as i cant test them before

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #4227 on: October 21, 2021, 06:59:15 AM »
How do you guys feel about these Bones OG's 100a? Solid street wheel shape/formula?

https://www.tactics.com/bones/100s-og-formula-v5-sidecut-skateboard-wheels/black-purple-4-100a

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4228 on: October 21, 2021, 08:21:26 AM »
How do you guys feel about these Bones OG's 100a? Solid street wheel shape/formula?

https://www.tactics.com/bones/100s-og-formula-v5-sidecut-skateboard-wheels/black-purple-4-100a

They are solid, slide nice and not slow but will flatspot easier than stf/f4. They are a great for their price, at least here they are 15-20€ cheaper than stf/f4. They are better than other wheels at their price range, like waywards. I have them in v4, which is almost the same shape with spitfire classics.

Ol Nick

« Reply #4229 on: October 21, 2021, 05:16:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ive been thinking about trying these too, my 10+ years old Powell wheels have got too hard with time. Have you tried the oj keyframes by any chance? Having a hard time choosing between the two as i cant test them before

I haven’t ridden Keyframes. These are really wide, closer to a super juice size although they feel way lighter. They definitely have less urethane and more core than other wheels I’ve ridden. They still handle rocks and cracks really well but you feel the ground more than other squishy wheels. Seems like they’d get shredded pretty quick if you tried to skate a curb on em.