Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 790038 times)

minilogoflow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5220 on: July 04, 2022, 12:30:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think what will kill them is that they don't live up to the claims of 2 Slap posters who only seem to talk about them rolling on rough ground. It seems for grinding, slides, and smooth surface speed they're not providing an advantage over the current market leaders.
[close]

I've been skating the uncored 93a V6 for 2 weeks now and I have no problem doing slappy's or grinds and slides on ledges. Idk if I got a good set or something but I've had a couple homies try my set up and none of them had problems on grinds or slides either. My local is super smooth and the 93a feel nearly identical to my homies 103 STFs in terms of grip and slide. I think if people give these an honest chance, it'll change a lot of minds. I'll take all dorky dragon graphics and && nonsense if it mean I get my holy grail wheel.
[close]

I really wonder if the uncored 93 is a completely different formula to the uncored 95a. Because it sounds like the uncored 95a should just be a slightly harder variant of the uncored 93a, but my uncored v1 95a definitely don't cut it at all for certain slappies, grinds and slides on certain materials whereas everyone is saying that the uncored 93as work very well (even though the cored 93as I got were definitely too soft, like a cruiser wheel).

I mean so far only the 93a "Dragons" look like they're close to release so it could be they're still tweaking the harder formulas. I got a set of the cored 93a too and they felt 90% similar to the uncored ones. Maybe in the cored sets the formula is slightly different or the core could throw off the feel. What about the 95a uncored was giving you issues?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5221 on: July 04, 2022, 01:11:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think what will kill them is that they don't live up to the claims of 2 Slap posters who only seem to talk about them rolling on rough ground. It seems for grinding, slides, and smooth surface speed they're not providing an advantage over the current market leaders.
[close]

I've been skating the uncored 93a V6 for 2 weeks now and I have no problem doing slappy's or grinds and slides on ledges. Idk if I got a good set or something but I've had a couple homies try my set up and none of them had problems on grinds or slides either. My local is super smooth and the 93a feel nearly identical to my homies 103 STFs in terms of grip and slide. I think if people give these an honest chance, it'll change a lot of minds. I'll take all dorky dragon graphics and && nonsense if it mean I get my holy grail wheel.
[close]

I really wonder if the uncored 93 is a completely different formula to the uncored 95a. Because it sounds like the uncored 95a should just be a slightly harder variant of the uncored 93a, but my uncored v1 95a definitely don't cut it at all for certain slappies, grinds and slides on certain materials whereas everyone is saying that the uncored 93as work very well (even though the cored 93as I got were definitely too soft, like a cruiser wheel).
[close]

I mean so far only the 93a "Dragons" look like they're close to release so it could be they're still tweaking the harder formulas. I got a set of the cored 93a too and they felt 90% similar to the uncored ones. Maybe in the cored sets the formula is slightly different or the core could throw off the feel. What about the 95a uncored was giving you issues?

They feel like a hybrid wheel, not like a hard trick wheel. @FuzzGNU said that even his uncored 93a feel like a hard trick wheel, harder than a f4 97a. My uncored 95a feel much softer than a f4 97a, although still harder than a cored 93a. Rides super good, but not as good as a hard wheel on pristine smooth surfaces (which I don't care too much for).

They powerslide very good on asphalt, but in other ways they just dont slide/grind/respond like a formula four at all. They definitely grip and catch noticeably more on slappies, pinched grinds, and bluntslides than 99a f4s. And also because they're soft, they throw you off a lot harder when you wheelbite.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5222 on: July 04, 2022, 01:39:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

They feel like a hybrid wheel, not like a hard trick wheel. @FuzzGNU said that even his uncored 93a feel like a hard trick wheel, harder than a f4 97a. My uncored 95a feel much softer than a f4 97a, although still harder than a cored 93a. Rides super good, but not as good as a hard wheel on pristine smooth surfaces (which I don't care too much for).

They powerslide very good on asphalt, but in other ways they just dont slide/grind/respond like a formula four at all. They definitely grip and catch noticeably more on slappies, pinched grinds, and bluntslides than 99a f4s. And also because they're soft, they throw you off a lot harder when you wheelbite.

This is why I'm hoping the 97a (if it comes out) work 'better' than the softer duros...it could just come down to the formula not being good for that kind of shit.

Ditch skating? Yerp. Some crusty spots that don't rely on slides? Sure. Bear run board? MosDef.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5223 on: July 04, 2022, 02:39:25 PM »
Apparently Dan Corrigan echoes the subpar sliding on coping expressed in this thread. Really can't believe I watched more than a minute of one of his videos.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5224 on: July 04, 2022, 02:41:44 PM »
Keep in mind that Dan is sponsored by Powell so he might be overselling the wheels.

MxsDx

• Rep: 95
« Reply #5225 on: July 04, 2022, 03:10:54 PM »
I put a few sessions in on the new 95a bones prototypes. Shout out to Kam at skate one for making these available — very cool. The bones feel great on rough concrete and asphalt and are super grippy on smooth skatepark surfaces. I wouldn’t classify these as a cruiser only or a hybrid wheel; but even on smooth surfaces it takes significant effort to initiate and slides on them and they don’t revert easily. Also nearly silent — no bark. Definitely softer feel than f4 99 and possibly slower on smooth surfaces (but better on crust).  That said, I have skated the bones stf 99 in the past and these are a HUGE improvement.

Nonetheless, I want an easier slide and will be retiring this set. If any Pal is interested in the 95 (52mm cored) dm me. I also have a set of 93 (52 cored) still in the plastic that I don’t intend to skate and would be happy to pass on too.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5226 on: July 05, 2022, 01:37:01 AM »
as much as i hate to say it, poor marketing works against me
i skate good on spitfires, bad on brands i dont like/support

wonder what skating would be like without a capitalist brainwash
but here we are
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5227 on: July 05, 2022, 06:37:14 AM »
Expand Quote
On the other hand, does anybody at all care about wheel graphics? Pretty sure most people buy wheels for the shape and durometer, no matter the graphic. All my bones wheels had ugly graphics and they're gone after a few sessions anyway.

I wonder if the bones will still be called SSF (soft slide formula) or something like that, but I hope they'll be called epic dragon sliderinos
[close]

graphics are nothing a bit of Acetone (nail varnish remover if your other half lets you borrow.) wont remove.

From a riding them perspective, I have no issues with any graphics and will happily remove them if I am not into them, given the wheels are the right size, shape, duro or whatever else I want to ride, because to me the graphic is less than 1% of the interest in said set of wheels.

From a shop perspective, it is oh so very frustrating that some wheels that would be the best brand, size, shape and duro just do not sell if they have a less than marketable / appealing graphic and some I have even "blanked" for people who didn't want a certain name / pro rider or something on the wheels, just to make them happy, even if they were going to ride them graphic in and wear them off in the first session.

Razor blades are just as good removing Spitfire wheel graphics as per this set from not too long ago, just scraped off like a scratchie.  Very quick and easy and no wet mess to clean up.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5228 on: July 05, 2022, 12:41:40 PM »

Maybe skate faster. Sounds like you're the only one not going fast enough to grind in this thread. I know skateboarding is scary, but I believe in you.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5229 on: July 05, 2022, 12:48:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe skate faster. Sounds like you're the only one not going fast enough to grind in this thread. I know skateboarding is scary, but I believe in you.

Definitely not the only one. I skate plenty fast and notice the same issues, just not as versatile as f4s in basically every way that involves any degree of slide. I'd go out on a limb and say that either your coreless 93as are basically a completely different wheel to the cored 93 or coreless 95 that I was sent (which is entirely possible), or you haven't tested them out on nearly enough of a range of scenarios and obstacles to notice some of these differences.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5230 on: July 05, 2022, 12:51:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think you're both onto something... The color variance between all these wheels is wild and all over the place. The 93a cored are darker than the 93a uncored. The 95a cored are similar in color to the 93a uncored. The 97a cored are bright white.

It's kind of all over the place, but there is definitely some major variance between the cored and uncored. I'm not sure why there are some slappers in here trying to confidently claim otherwise without evidence.

I think it's best we wait and see the full releases and compare. If these green dragons are exactly like the 56mm V6 V6 then I will be a happy camper. Still haven't gotten tossed by a pebble while riding these things for over a month straight through crusty parking lots.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5231 on: July 05, 2022, 12:54:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Definitely not the only one. I skate plenty fast and notice the same issues, just not as versatile as f4s in basically every way that involves any degree of slide. I'd go out on a limb and say that either your coreless 93as are basically a completely different wheel to the cored 93 or coreless 95 that I was sent (which is entirely possible), or you haven't tested them out on nearly enough of a range of scenarios and obstacles to notice some of these differences.

Yeah, it's exactly this.

I was just giving him shit because he doesn't seem to have the functioning logic part of the brain that you have.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5232 on: July 05, 2022, 01:05:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, it's exactly this.

I was just giving him shit because he doesn't seem to have the functioning logic part of the brain that you have.

I mean maybe I'll eat my words in the future, but I just can't imagine the coreless 93as being thaaat different to the coreless 95s or the cored 93s, especially when in theory they'd be softer than the cored 93s which are already plenty soft, so I think for those of us that tried the cored 93s and coreless 95s, the skepticism is warranted.

Also, when you talk about slide what exactly are you referring to? You say they slide and grind fine, but have you done pinched/crooked grinds, nose/tail/bluntslides on different types of ledges (concrete, wood, plastic, metal coped etc), and done grinds on round bars to see how the drag is? Different types of curbs, concrete and painted etc?

Because if you haven't, you can't really conclude, as you have, that they're even nearly as versatile as f4s in the grind/slide regard.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5233 on: July 05, 2022, 01:29:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
On the other hand, does anybody at all care about wheel graphics? Pretty sure most people buy wheels for the shape and durometer, no matter the graphic. All my bones wheels had ugly graphics and they're gone after a few sessions anyway.

I wonder if the bones will still be called SSF (soft slide formula) or something like that, but I hope they'll be called epic dragon sliderinos
[close]

graphics are nothing a bit of Acetone (nail varnish remover if your other half lets you borrow.) wont remove.
[close]

From a riding them perspective, I have no issues with any graphics and will happily remove them if I am not into them, given the wheels are the right size, shape, duro or whatever else I want to ride, because to me the graphic is less than 1% of the interest in said set of wheels.

From a shop perspective, it is oh so very frustrating that some wheels that would be the best brand, size, shape and duro just do not sell if they have a less than marketable / appealing graphic and some I have even "blanked" for people who didn't want a certain name / pro rider or something on the wheels, just to make them happy, even if they were going to ride them graphic in and wear them off in the first session.

Razor blades are just as good removing Spitfire wheel graphics as per this set from not too long ago, just scraped off like a scratchie.  Very quick and easy and no wet mess to clean up.

A few slappies with the graphic is cleans off bad graphics quite well; I tend to use steel wool...especially on any bones I decide to ride...I'll take anything spit over bones graphics.

I agree, the graphics on wheels, especially when most ride them in, seems like a marketing blunder most of the time. Sure, there is a small contingent that feel wheels graphics are cool...but I can't for the life of me figure out why both Spit and Bones did gremlins/gizmo wheels. WTAF?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 01:43:07 PM by Xen »

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #5234 on: July 05, 2022, 03:18:13 PM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5235 on: July 05, 2022, 05:37:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, it's exactly this.

I skated the same types of stuff and had the same comments. I didn't write as verbose of a write-up but it's identical AND I also threw out some simple objective tests and my own theories about the hubs. I'm not saying they're bad- I really like them for a lot of stuff, but frankly it seems like the experience you've had is different than what everyone else has had with regards to metal coping and sticking on slides. Personally I had no issues with slappies but my curb spot is painted and much more waxed than Rockridge and I didn't mind the sound.

So I'm not sure what your issue is, but I was pretty hyped on your write ups and based on my own experiences really don't agree but hope that the 95q productions are the ones for me. As it stands now I could easily ride the 93a cored at a lot of spots happily.

As my last test today I took them out today to a mix of extremely smooth cement, rough ground, and tile with these square bumps. They gripped really well but I definitely didn't like the slide on the tile as I can't lean into it as hard with good control. This was the first time they felt like they slid slow on curbs and ledges. I skated this spot yesterday on F4 and while the vibrations were worse, there was no issue. I didn't wax anything yesterday and even after a hefty application today stuff didn't feel quite as good near the end of slides.

Rational enough for you?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #5236 on: July 08, 2022, 10:25:44 AM »
Dragon wheels are listed on Skateone but not yet available for purchase. $44.95 MSRP

https://www.skateone.com/skateboard-wheels/dragons

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5237 on: July 08, 2022, 11:37:44 AM »
Kam says the 95a are being manufactured now and should be available at the beginning of next month. Per previous conversations, these will be Bones and not Powell.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #5238 on: July 08, 2022, 01:19:35 PM »
so they are called dragons because b/c they spit fire, yes?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #5239 on: July 08, 2022, 05:22:22 PM »
so they are called dragons because b/c they spit fire, yes?

sk8_cat

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5240 on: July 10, 2022, 05:11:08 AM »
had my third short session on the loophole 54 v shapes today. still not really into em, I find them super grippy, especially considering how they are still relatively unforgiving on rough pave.

will give em another shot or two because i really want to like them. getting bored of only looking at f4 when i wheel shop.

I have been riding some 54s my self for a couple of months now and I am having the exact same experience, coming from f4s the slide seems to be super grippy even though they are fast and seem to grind well, kind of surprised that their team seems to be ripping SF on these wheels doing powerslides all over the place - for me these are really hard to powerslide well on.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #5241 on: July 10, 2022, 06:51:03 AM »
Expand Quote
had my third short session on the loophole 54 v shapes today. still not really into em, I find them super grippy, especially considering how they are still relatively unforgiving on rough pave.

will give em another shot or two because i really want to like them. getting bored of only looking at f4 when i wheel shop.
[close]

I have been riding some 54s my self for a couple of months now and I am having the exact same experience, coming from f4s the slide seems to be super grippy even though they are fast and seem to grind well, kind of surprised that their team seems to be ripping SF on these wheels doing powerslides all over the place - for me these are really hard to powerslide well on.

This is exact opposite for me, they slide well for me on crusty spots and the messed up ledge at my park, I’m not a speed demon but I have had some controlled power slides going downhill street skating here in Austin, but I’m also skating the teardrops haven’t messed with the vee shape yet
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #5242 on: July 11, 2022, 10:39:25 AM »
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but does anyone know how to remove graphics from soft wheels? Tried rubbing it off with sandpaper like I usually do on harder wheels but didn't seem to work.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
  • the moon rules
« Reply #5243 on: July 11, 2022, 12:13:59 PM »
Acetone/nail polish remover
fuck you bama

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5244 on: July 11, 2022, 06:40:37 PM »
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but does anyone know how to remove graphics from soft wheels? Tried rubbing it off with sandpaper like I usually do on harder wheels but didn't seem to work.

Have you tried scraping it with a razor blade?

I was surprised how well that worked, was dry, minimal mess and very easy to do with all the wheels I did it on, both hard as per the instagram post above with the Spitfire Foy wheels and others, but I guess it depends on the wheel itself.

Hold the razor blade like you are holding a coin to a scratchie and just rub back and forth across it.

After doing this for the first time recently, I have to laugh at whatever else I had tried and done for so many years before, which included sanding, using a scraper tool, even rubbing chemicals with a rag when I was a whole lot younger.

Acetone/nail polish remover

This definitely works though.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5245 on: July 11, 2022, 08:49:51 PM »
Any guesses on how long it takes f4 99s to go from 520 to 50? I’m sure there are tons of variables…

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5246 on: July 11, 2022, 09:20:22 PM »
Any guesses on how long it takes f4 99s to go from 520 to 50? I’m sure there are tons of variables…

From 52mm to 50mm you mean?

A few guys I know can take about a mm off a week if they are really skating hard on fairly rough concrete that they have to carve into things, which is not normal at all compared to everyone else.

Most I think are about a month or more per mm, with some lasting a whole lot longer than that usually, with all these new parks with super smooth concrete around here one set lasted over a year with less than a single mm worn off, compared to the crusty old parks or places that really eat wheels (and skin if you come off) but it will vary depending on surface, how much you slide or carve into things, or even some specific places that just seem to eat the wheels a lot more than others.

I feel like raw concrete will wear the fastest, more so than bitumen / road surfaces.  There are some crusty old skateparks I go to that always clean my wheels, but even some outdoor concrete carparks can have the same effect.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5247 on: July 11, 2022, 10:12:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A few guys I know can take about a mm off a week if they are really skating hard on fairly rough concrete that they have to carve into things, which is not normal at all compared to everyone else.

Most I think are about a month or more per mm, with some lasting a whole lot longer than that usually, with all these new parks with super smooth concrete around here one set lasted over a year with less than a single mm worn off, compared to the crusty old parks or places that really eat wheels (and skin if you come off) but it will vary depending on surface, how much you slide or carve into things, or even some specific places that just seem to eat the wheels a lot more than others.

I feel like raw concrete will wear the fastest, more so than bitumen / road surfaces.  There are some crusty old skateparks I go to that always clean my wheels, but even some outdoor concrete carparks can have the same effect.

Ha, yeah my bad: 52 to 50. I alternate between two different lo(w) trucks, 52 is kinda the max. I don’t see many wheels being produced in the smaller sizes. I can try stfs, but I’ve been pretty dedicated to f4s (would also try bigheads m and/or classic formula)…not sure if it’s the same or different).
Thanks for the response!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5248 on: July 11, 2022, 11:09:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ha, yeah my bad: 52 to 50. I alternate between two different lo(w) trucks, 52 is kinda the max. I don’t see many wheels being produced in the smaller sizes. I can try stfs, but I’ve been pretty dedicated to f4s (would also try bigheads m and/or classic formula)…not sure if it’s the same or different).
Thanks for the response!

Happy to help.

The original formula for Spitfire wheels does wear down a lot faster for new, straight out of the packet wheels and often just doesn't hold up anywhere near as well either, but they are fun to try once in a while again, just to remember what they were like.

I feel like the Lil Smokies supply might have dried up a whole lot, but they were a good wheel in the small sizes, coming out in most shapes too, Classic, Tablet, Conical / Conical Full, etc.

Been a while since I even looked up what Bones were offering, so not sure of their product options, sizes, etc but Bones were always a good one and a close second behind Spitfire Formula Four for decent wheels.  They also seemed to last a whole lot longer overall too, so getting some smaller Bones wheels in the size you prefer might be a good option, when it comes to cost and value for money.

I could never justify buying small wheels when I know I have access to so many used wheels with all the dealings with others, in the swap and trade market, but there is always something so nice about brand new wheels too, not just someone's old wheels I reshaped to be a bit more what I wanted, but it is also very hard to get smaller wheels in a fat / wide but still semi rounded profile, so I don't mind having a bit of fun with old wheels from trade ins, as well as helping people with bigger new wheels to start with anyway.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
« Reply #5249 on: July 12, 2022, 02:00:38 AM »