Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777823 times)

breezer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5340 on: July 30, 2022, 11:51:40 AM »
By 89 or so I was using G&S Plaid.
I still have a set!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5341 on: July 30, 2022, 12:20:12 PM »
I did the same exact speed test but with the same board and bearings exactly. It was pretty easy I dropped in and pressed start on my phone and timed how long it took to each a specific feature. Stiff legged, no pumping. The 93 and 95 prototypes were a few seconds slower to the point where I couldn't have grinded the box I was pushing towards. Hoping the 95 production are faster.

On asphalt it was no contest, but for slappies I still found that they would grip a lot. On slappy crooks they slide fine for the first 1/2, but then rapidly slow and grab. So I was torn because I skate a lot of asphalt but I mostly skate ledges, curbs, manual pads and low impact stuff where they just couldn't hold their own. Id rather do another push then grind 1/3 less on a ledge.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5342 on: July 30, 2022, 01:52:03 PM »
On asphalt it was no contest, but for slappies I still found that they would grip a lot. On slappy crooks they slide fine for the first 1/2, but then rapidly slow and grab. So I was torn because I skate a lot of asphalt but I mostly skate ledges, curbs, manual pads and low impact stuff where they just couldn't hold their own. Id rather do another push then grind 1/3 less on a ledge.

I will say I wasn't grinding as well on the dragons board this morning, but I had been blaming it more on the trucks.  On the F4 board I had a recent slappy session on a curb that was so waxed that it deposited about 1/2 lb of it in the trucks.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5343 on: July 30, 2022, 02:02:20 PM »
By 89 or so I was using G&S Plaid.
I still have a set!

Nice!  Mine were pink, and I believe 95s.  Here they are on a Circle A Bob Schmelzer with some Gullwing Pro III.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5344 on: July 30, 2022, 03:06:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I will say I wasn't grinding as well on the dragons board this morning, but I had been blaming it more on the trucks.  On the F4 board I had a recent slappy session on a curb that was so waxed that it deposited about 1/2 lb of it in the trucks.

There is no question that the dragons noticeably drag on grinds if you compare side by side with f4s

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5345 on: July 31, 2022, 02:00:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There is no question that the dragons noticeably drag on grinds if you compare side by side with f4s

In general when it comes to grinds, it's also worth thinking about wheel shape because that will compound any issues with drag that the formula might have.

V1 and V4 should theoretically drag less than V6 I think. Not sure which would be better between V1 or V4 though. Maybe V4??? Maybe depends on the grind?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5346 on: July 31, 2022, 02:03:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

In general when it comes to grinds, it's also worth thinking about wheel shape because that will compound any issues with drag that the formula might have.

V1 and V4 should theoretically drag less than V6 I think. Not sure which would be better between V1 or V4 though. Maybe V4??? Maybe depends on the grind?

Why would the V6 drag more? The whole point of the sidecut design is less drag and at least on V5 99a wheels I ride that seems to work really well.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5347 on: July 31, 2022, 02:22:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Why would the V6 drag more? The whole point of the sidecut design is less drag and at least on V5 99a wheels I ride that seems to work really well.

From my understanding (I could be wrong, personally I disagree with Bones descriptions) that sharp cut can kind of dig in on certain grinds or surfaces (coping?) while a radial edge minimizes the contract point and how much it digs in.

As I understand it, the main point of the sidecut is to minimize weight and give a stable surface with the defined riding surface edge. If you compare a radial wide (V4) and a widecut (V6) wheel side by side, the weight reduction becomes apparent.

I'm sure the V5/V6 have less drag than a lock-in/tablet... But I would bet money a radial shapes would have equal or less drag compared to a sidecut.

This is coming from someone who's favorite wheel is V6, not really a fan of Radial wheels.

I'd love to hear if others have had a different experience.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5348 on: July 31, 2022, 02:46:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

From my understanding (I could be wrong, personally I disagree with Bones descriptions) that sharp cut can kind of dig in on certain grinds or surfaces (coping?) while a radial edge minimizes the contract point and how much it digs in.

As I understand it, the main point of the sidecut is to minimize weight and give a stable surface with the defined riding surface edge. If you compare a radial wide (V4) and a widecut (V6) wheel side by side, the weight reduction becomes apparent.

I'm sure the V5/V6 have less drag than a lock-in/tablet... But I would bet money a radial shapes would have equal or less drag compared to a sidecut.

This is coming from someone who's favorite wheel is V6, not really a fan of Radial wheels.

While that makes total sense, I've had the complete opposite experience with spitfire radials. I kept getting stuck, even on a bs 5-0 on coping and had to change my technique a bit. That might not be the shapes fault tough, pretty much everything about this set of radials I have sucks. Wobbling, chunking and sticking. Spitfire keeps going strong on ignoring my warranty claims about it.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5349 on: July 31, 2022, 03:34:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

While that makes total sense, I've had the complete opposite experience with spitfire radials. I kept getting stuck, even on a bs 5-0 on coping and had to change my technique a bit. That might not be the shapes fault tough, pretty much everything about this set of radials I have sucks. Wobbling, chunking and sticking. Spitfire keeps going strong on ignoring my warranty claims about it.

Hmm... Try sending a video with audio for the wobbling issue. Was it the Radial Full? I had the same issue and they accepted my warranty after a few weeks because of the audio and I still had the packaging stuff on hand.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5350 on: July 31, 2022, 07:20:56 PM »
I snagged a set of the big boy Dragons (56mm Wide-Cut/V6 shape). These are definitely a high-caliber rough pavement wheel that I will ride regularly for that type of of terrain. I didn’t get the feeling that I was skating anything revolutionary as they feel and sound very much like 97A Spits to me, but they are noticeably faster and slide better. Really nice wheel. Probably puts my Keyframes out of business if I'm honest.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 07:28:25 PM by intendedreceivers »

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #5351 on: July 31, 2022, 09:26:23 PM »
Probably puts my Keyframes out of business if I'm honest.

a bold statement but i believe it from what else everyone has posted already. and this is probably the strongest selling point mentioned so far (for me).

Mick

• Rep: 25
« Reply #5352 on: July 31, 2022, 09:42:17 PM »
Also got some 56 V6 93A Dragons. Had my first sesh today. Normally a formula four guy but these were a nice change up. It's kinda crazy how smooth and fast they feel (typical to soft-ish wheels) but still slide??? Definitely could be the wide cut gripping more but they seem to slide better on crappy pavement than perfectly smooth skatepark ground (But still slide decent at parks). At first they made very little noise when sliding but towards the end of the session they started screeching a lil like F4s but still don't feel the same obviously. I had 99 F4s on a standby deck and they just feel so terrible on rough ground compared to the Powells, but again obviously because the durometer difference.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5353 on: August 01, 2022, 12:08:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Probably puts my Keyframes out of business if I'm honest.
[close]

a bold statement but i believe it from what else everyone has posted already. and this is probably the strongest selling point mentioned so far (for me).

I feel like I'm definitely one of the people thats been more critical of these new powell/bones wheels on this thread, but I would definitely agree that these would render keyframes irrelevant.

I haven't had keyframes in a few years so this may not be perfectly accurate, but if memory serves me right, then the 93a dragons, as well as the preproduction 90a and even 95as all basically handle rough ground basically as good as a keyframe (if you get the wide ones)... maybe not quite as soft but close enough... except you can powerslide very very easily, and do grinds/ledge slides (albeit not quite as well as a true hard wheel like f4/stf as I have previously stated)

So yeah I don't really see why you would pick a keyframe over these. Keyframes were never a super soft, mash over everything cruiser wheel like the super juices. These bones/powells definitely wouldn't replace my 60mm 78a OJ super juices though... though those are on my strictly filmer/push-ten-blocks-up-the-street-to-get-food-and-back-board which I have never felt the need to powerslide on

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5354 on: August 01, 2022, 01:08:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

My dragons are the v1s as are my preproduction 95a wheels. My f4s are og classics and classics (and between those two I don't notice any difference in grind drag at all).

The only time I ever noticed wheel shape causing grind drag was with f4 tablets and lock ins compared to say classics/radial slims on round rails and specific ledges, and that was barelyyyy noticeable, splitting hairs.

With these powell/bones wheels, the drag on certain grinds is jarring. Its definitely the formula that is causing the drag, not the shape. That being said, I'm happy to have them in hand, probably set them up from time to time when I plan on skating  rougher spots/expect to be pushing more... or if I'm just tired, have low expectations for doing good tricks and want to dick around and push a little less.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5355 on: August 01, 2022, 06:41:07 AM »
I've had the same wheel drag. I skate the same well waxed slappy curb and with production wheels I notice that about halfway through a slappy crook it feels like all of a sudden my nose is hitting a spot with no wax and that is the pinched wheel. I literally brought a second set of wheels, which are my normal 99 F4 and this doesn't happen I grind the entire section consistently. I even waxed the curb more, which helped a bit, but it's definitely not worth it for me. Maybe the 95 are better I dunno, but I wouldn't even want these on a cruiser setup that I'd slappy.

Antz

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5356 on: August 01, 2022, 04:11:56 PM »
Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with 87a OJ Super Juice wheels.  Can’t find any reviews about them online so I figured I would try here.

Are there any advantages in getting the 87a over the tried and true 78a wheels?

Thanks for the feedback

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5357 on: August 01, 2022, 06:31:57 PM »
Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with 87a OJ Super Juice wheels.  Can’t find any reviews about them online so I figured I would try here.

Are there any advantages in getting the 87a over the tried and true 78a wheels?

Thanks for the feedback

I think I have had  set or two and to be fair, they are decent cruiser / soft wheels that are a good ride in the larger sizes, but also go fairly well in the smaller sizes too.

I will check and see and if I still have some, get back to you with more info.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Antz

« Reply #5358 on: August 01, 2022, 06:38:42 PM »

I think I have had  set or two and to be fair, they are decent cruiser / soft wheels that are a good ride in the larger sizes, but also go fairly well in the smaller sizes too.

I will check and see and if I still have some, get back to you with more info.
[/quote]

Thank you much appreciated

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5359 on: August 02, 2022, 02:55:06 AM »
it looks like the size of the older super juice in 78a but with the urethane of the keyframes in 87a.
i have rode keyframes they were great, maybe that will help the super juice not to chip as easily as it would in 78a when you try 50-50 or powerslides.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #5360 on: August 02, 2022, 02:55:42 AM »
I personally think the mini 78a ojs are a tad to soft. Feels like they deform to much when carving hard and that slows you down.
Tempted to get the 87a instead.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #5361 on: August 02, 2022, 02:16:05 PM »
First "cruise" on the Ricta Clouds. 78a in 52mm.

I was mad tired and didn't think too much while crusing around. Rolling down my usual hill here in the neighborhood. At the end of the hill is a little sewer cap I always ollie. I was already kinda fast. When I popped the ollie, that felt insane with these soft wheels. That was a big and long ollie and I was even faster when I landed. That was scary and there was no way I could run out of that speed, so I prayed and tried to stay on my board.

I think I kept rolling for like a minute until I slowed down. A really scary and fun experience and I had to smoke a cigarette when I got back to my car. My heart was pumping like crazy and I wasn't sleepy anymore.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk ya all.

TLDR , they are smooth and fast.
IG: @flowterspace

Antz

« Reply #5362 on: August 05, 2022, 09:14:35 PM »
Has anybody had any experience with 87a oj super juice either in 55mm or the 60mm. Is it worth the bump up in duro over the 78a

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5363 on: August 06, 2022, 12:19:50 PM »
https://youtu.be/6FgWbL7FlbY
Roger making some wild claims. I want to try them out.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #5364 on: August 06, 2022, 12:33:40 PM »

this video made me feel weird

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5365 on: August 06, 2022, 12:54:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this video made me feel weird

Yeah WTF, it feels like a strange paid ad or something. But like /r/InterdimentionalCable type shit. Who the fuck approved this thing on their channel? Very strange. Nine Club is on some weird vibes lately.

All that being said... these wheels really ARE amazing. It really feels like a bigger leap forward than either STF or F4 were. Once you get used to these wheels, you won't want to go back (if they fit into your skating... apparently some people don't love them as much).

EDIT: Powering through the cringe to finish this video. Definitely agree that it makes me able/want to skate more. Less pushing, and less "bullshit" slams that frustrate a session like falling on a pebble or twig or slipout. As lame an cliche as it sounds, they let me focus on skating rather than having to worry so much about the terrain I'm skating.

If you can get used to the slide... they are amazing.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 01:11:31 PM by FuzzGNU »

Goodcurbs

• Rep: -279
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5366 on: August 06, 2022, 05:41:22 PM »

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5367 on: August 06, 2022, 05:56:47 PM »

Roger on e confirmed.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5368 on: August 06, 2022, 06:34:02 PM »
It’s the tensor mag of wheels….there you have it….

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5369 on: August 06, 2022, 06:50:21 PM »
It’s the tensor mag of wheels….there you have it….

Yep. Can't wait to pair them with a slick and some tensors....easy vibes.