Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777832 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5910 on: December 03, 2022, 07:11:49 AM »
I just put on a new set of dragons and i swear they feel different than my old ones when they were new. The new ones feel gummier, quieter and a stickier when powersliding. They’re still good but I miss the old ones, those were from their first batch. Has anyone noticed anything similar?

Hmm... For what it's worth my preproduction ones are definitely a bit softer and slower than my set from the first commercial batch.

I've heard in these threads that wheels can take time to cure and harden? I wonder if it's related to that (doubt it).

I'm regards to skating them on slick wooden ramps, I don't have any experience but they handled this slick slippery blacktop lot that spitfire 97a couldn't handle.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5911 on: December 03, 2022, 08:21:30 AM »
I was at the shop yesterday and a Bones sponsored rider was there. We got to talking about the X formula and he agreed that he felt the ones he had, which were from the same box as what the shop had/I got, we're oddly sticky and gummy. I felt they were worse for powerslides than my Dragons and he agreed. He also noted that his chunked a bunch and he thinks there might have been some sort of production issue because he got another new set and had no issues. Uses them for reallllly slippery dusty parks

chinotto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
    • Board Madness avatar image
« Reply #5912 on: December 04, 2022, 07:56:29 AM »
Good to know I was not going insane. Actually, my new dragons feel a lot like the pre-production set I have. Switched to 97a spitfire until I can get bones x formula.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5913 on: December 04, 2022, 08:10:07 AM »
I might have said it once or twice before (sorry) but the Mini Logo softer wheels were pretty much the best price / quality / duro for a 95 or 90 duro wheel, kept speed and was quite surprising.  Not sure how readily available they are for people, but there are lots around and half the price of the others too.

I bought the 53mm 90a Mini Logo C-cut for my kids boards. When my 180lb ass got on them they felt like they deformed under the weight.  I think a lot of softer wheels are wider and have a bit more urethane under foot.    Maybe go A-cut.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5914 on: December 04, 2022, 12:18:00 PM »
I was at the shop yesterday and a Bones sponsored rider was there. We got to talking about the X formula and he agreed that he felt the ones he had, which were from the same box as what the shop had/I got, we're oddly sticky and gummy. I felt they were worse for powerslides than my Dragons and he agreed. He also noted that his chunked a bunch and he thinks there might have been some sort of production issue because he got another new set and had no issues. Uses them for reallllly slippery dusty parks

I'm wondering if this played into the [1st] delay to market.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5915 on: December 04, 2022, 05:00:54 PM »
Expand Quote
I might have said it once or twice before (sorry) but the Mini Logo softer wheels were pretty much the best price / quality / duro for a 95 or 90 duro wheel, kept speed and was quite surprising.  Not sure how readily available they are for people, but there are lots around and half the price of the others too.
[close]

I bought the 53mm 90a Mini Logo C-cut for my kids boards. When my 180lb ass got on them they felt like they deformed under the weight.  I think a lot of softer wheels are wider and have a bit more urethane under foot.    Maybe go A-cut.

That is interesting to know!

Never had any experience with things from that perspective, but I do recall having a guy from a movie set coming in on occasion and wanting wheels to use on the dolly rigs.  Most softer wheels would do that - end up in oval shapes - with the weight of the camera and gear as they rolled them along, so he went more for the harder wheels in the biggest sizes, often half a dozen sets at a time.

Also curious what surfaces you tried them on as well.  Kids board and all, so I wouldn't imagine you getting it out everywhere, but between slippery wooden mini ramp, slippery concrete floor, rough road and normal concrete, they felt the most consistent of almost any wheel of the softer variety, but I still ride the Spitfire Soft Ds, which do feel like they are too soft sometimes, but at least I know what they are like.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #5916 on: December 04, 2022, 10:24:50 PM »
Gentlemen,
Looking for a cruiser-like wheel.
- <60 mm
- wide, so that it reaches over axle nut
- optional: still possible to noseslide; my current wheel is so soft and spongy it's impossible even to powerslide

I'd appreciate your advice!

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5917 on: December 05, 2022, 12:01:04 AM »
Gentlemen,
- <60 mm
- optional: still possible to noseslide; my current wheel is so soft and spongy it's impossible even to powerslide

These two shapes just came out.

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-dragon-formula-rat-bones-skateboard-wheels-60mm-x-40mm-93a-4pk

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-dragon-formula-g-bones-skateboard-wheels-64mm-x-36mm-93a-4pk

People on here will say, they don't noseslide the best... but certainly better than any other "cruiser-like" wheel you will find.

I think people also like NFG 95, but I'm not sure what sizes they come in, don't think they go up to 60mm? I'm pretty sure they don't slide as well as Dragons is the consensus? But also maybe its situational? Not sure, never rode them myself.

Spitfire just released some huge 97a wheels: https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/spitfire-formula-four-carlyle-conical-full-60mm-97a-white/

Pretty solid formula and I think people say they noseslide better than Dragons?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #5918 on: December 05, 2022, 07:59:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Gentlemen,
- <60 mm

[close]

These two shapes just came out.

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-dragon-formula-rat-bones-skateboard-wheels-60mm-x-40mm-93a-4pk

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-dragon-formula-g-bones-skateboard-wheels-64mm-x-36mm-93a-4pk

People on here will say, they don't noseslide the best... but certainly better than any other "cruiser-like" wheel you will find.

I think people also like NFG 95, but I'm not sure what sizes they come in, don't think they go up to 60mm? I'm pretty sure they don't slide as well as Dragons is the consensus? But also maybe its situational? Not sure, never rode them myself.

Spitfire just released some huge 97a wheels: https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/spitfire-formula-four-carlyle-conical-full-60mm-97a-white/

Pretty solid formula and I think people say they noseslide better than Dragons?

had to double check myself, but they max out at 60  https://www.nfgmfg.com/product-page/grim-95a-ptf-crust-60mm-vee

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5919 on: December 05, 2022, 08:15:26 AM »
if you just use a lot of wax, slimeballs / rat bones can work great for noseslides
doesnt work on dry curbs though gotta fresh wax every session
ONTARIO CANADA

chronicbackpain

• Rep: 157
« Reply #5920 on: December 06, 2022, 04:25:22 AM »

Does anyone know of any shops that carry these or when shops will get them?

Edit: SoCal has them but I found out that you get four different wheels instead of being available in four different colors.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 06:54:14 AM by Pasta Monster »

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #5921 on: December 06, 2022, 05:49:53 AM »
Expand Quote
I was hoping I could try some F4 OG classics on sale but it seems they are out of season right now.

Anyone have any new 56+mm OG they would want to trade for some new 56mm Conical Fulls 99a?
[close]

I was recently on the hunt for some F4 OG Classics as well. When I asked a shop if they would be getting more of those wheels I was told “They won’t be making any more of those until spring 2023”.

I have nothing to trade but good luck to ya.

It was so weird, I was in a shop in Paris in October and they had so many sets of OG Classics that I had to ask about them. Shop owner said the locals liked the bigger OGs for the crusty Paris streets. Almost picked up a set but I had/have too many wheels already.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5922 on: December 06, 2022, 07:57:24 AM »

Edit: SoCal has them but I found out that you get four different wheels instead of being available in four different colors.

just ogtta buy 4 sets and then sell the ones you dont want  ;D
ONTARIO CANADA

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5923 on: December 06, 2022, 10:17:16 AM »

Those are sick, but I'm afraid of 55mm wheels these days...let alone Conical fricken'fulls. Also, my OCD dislikes that one swirl being in the mix.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 04:30:54 PM by Xen »

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #5924 on: December 06, 2022, 10:48:40 AM »
i’d do unspeakable things for those brown ones

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5925 on: December 06, 2022, 11:30:46 AM »

Like spending $160 on wheels?   At least you'd get free shipping.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 116
« Reply #5926 on: December 06, 2022, 11:39:03 AM »

I saw a set of these in person yesterday the "clay" ones are more reddish in person than the picture FYI

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5927 on: December 06, 2022, 11:54:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Like spending $160 on wheels?   At least you'd get free shipping.

And be set for a hot minute.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5928 on: December 06, 2022, 03:50:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yep, that is exactly what I had done before with other mix and match Spitfire sets.

Find somewhere that has four (or more) sets in stock, get them and then sort them into their colour groups, which is what I did with the Grosso and Lance wheels a while back.

If you don't want a certain colour, there are bound to be people out there who do want them, so pass them on, otherwise keep them and be set for wheels for a while.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #5929 on: December 06, 2022, 06:01:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yep, that is exactly what I had done before with other mix and match Spitfire sets.

Find somewhere that has four (or more) sets in stock, get them and then sort them into their colour groups, which is what I did with the Grosso and Lance wheels a while back.

If you don't want a certain colour, there are bound to be people out there who do want them, so pass them on, otherwise keep them and be set for wheels for a while.

3&1 is god tier wheel aesthetics.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5930 on: December 06, 2022, 07:32:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I wish they did this more often. I’ve debated on dying one wheel but I’m afraid it will mess up the feel or will it turn white after slides

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5931 on: December 06, 2022, 08:45:55 PM »

Bring back the 3+1 aesthetic!!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #5932 on: December 06, 2022, 09:00:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I wish they did this more often. I’ve debated on dying one wheel but I’m afraid it will mess up the feel or will it turn white after slides

when you do the rit dye technique, you are dying the urethane itself. gets all up in there and won't just scrape off. give it a shot sometime, doesn't mess up the feel either

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5933 on: December 06, 2022, 09:11:06 PM »

Those grey wheels are tits. Only Louie got grey for a run of that colorway.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #5934 on: December 06, 2022, 11:20:34 PM »
I wish they would do another run of the Lance Mountain 3&1 wheels

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5935 on: December 07, 2022, 12:12:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This series was really cool, in blue, red, green, yellow + black + purple

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5936 on: December 07, 2022, 06:09:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This series was really cool, in blue, red, green, yellow + black + purple

I just picked up a very well used complete with those red ones on it.

They still skate well at 50mm or so.

There have been quite a few people who have bought a set of coloured wheels to mix and match with others of the same size and shape over the years.

I know Lou Strux did it, Jake Hayes was doing it for a while, others too, creating their own versions.

Given there are a number of different neon coloured Classics and quite a few other one off coloured options in standard shapes and sizes, it wouldn't be too hard.  Just needs a little planning and cash to bring something like that to life.

Edit:

I knew it was still there somewhere.

Custom wheel change up from a while back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMLY58ppJPN/

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:16:54 AM by Mbrimson88 »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5937 on: December 07, 2022, 07:51:37 PM »
the conical full 54mm “visions” comes with a wheel in each color
buy it with a set of regular 54s and run the 3/1 look 4 times

edit: 3 times, forgot one in the pack was natural color
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 08:24:37 PM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

chronicbackpain

• Rep: 157
« Reply #5938 on: December 07, 2022, 08:36:42 PM »

They’re 55 mm but the closest options for the regulars are 54 and 56.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5939 on: December 07, 2022, 08:50:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They’re 55 mm but the closest options for the regulars are 54 and 56.
typo on their end
3/1 combo is still possible for the 58mm size though
seems to be a huge pain in the ass unless you get them for free

while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo