Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778190 times)

Some dude, big_kev_215, Frank and Fred and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5970 on: December 21, 2022, 05:44:59 PM »
I knew the wheel Wizard couldn't be trusted but still those wheels were a good second best to F4s IMO. LoopHole is super sick also. I hope they can find some new 'thane and keep it going.
loophole won’t be the same without that ‘thane though …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5971 on: December 21, 2022, 10:07:10 PM »
52mm teardrops and 56 v-cuts are my go to wheels, have some 54mm square cuts on ice but currently DM-ing NFG so I can hopefully get a nice stockpile.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5972 on: December 22, 2022, 09:36:17 PM »
52mm teardrops and 56 v-cuts are my go to wheels, have some 54mm square cuts on ice but currently DM-ing NFG so I can hopefully get a nice stockpile.
just copped a mix of 8 different sets, doesn’t look like the have much stock left…

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 116
« Reply #5973 on: December 23, 2022, 05:14:08 PM »
Saw on this on the Instagram post about NFG going down:

Not sure if this means NFG isn't getting rid of anything or if just she wouldn't be the one selling.

Would be sick to see Loophole continue to use the molds and formulas somehow.

I prefer Formula 4s slightly but NFG stuff was on almost that same level to me. Plus it was nice to support a little manufacturer.

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #5974 on: December 24, 2022, 09:36:15 AM »
This whole NFG going under thing and what happens with Loophole got me thinking.

It would be very handy to have a wheel manufacturer thread like the woodshop thread.

There are so many little wheel companies now and knowing I could avoid Creative Urethane would be handy.

Plus if I remember correctly even brands under NHS can be poured in the USA or in China.

What knowledge does everyone have out there?

My contribution outside of major brands would be Acid Chemical Co pours their own wheels

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #5975 on: December 24, 2022, 03:14:50 PM »
This whole NFG going under thing and what happens with Loophole got me thinking.

It would be very handy to have a wheel manufacturer thread like the woodshop thread.

There are so many little wheel companies now and knowing I could avoid Creative Urethane would be handy.

Plus if I remember correctly even brands under NHS can be poured in the USA or in China.

My contribution outside of major brands would be Acid Chemical Co pours their own wheels

you are right so many things about the wheel industry are shady and secretive

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #5976 on: December 25, 2022, 02:00:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you are right so many things about the wheel industry are shady and secretive

There's a few brands out there I want to try but it's hard to stray away from Formula 4's especially without knowing I could just end up with a set 99a creative thane that I leave at the park.

Lazyskater

• Rep: 5
« Reply #5977 on: December 27, 2022, 09:48:19 AM »
Anybody try bones 97a formula yet? Is it better then spits?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5978 on: December 27, 2022, 09:55:15 PM »
Anybody try bones 97a formula yet? Is it better then spits?

Name checks out…Dude, scroll up…

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #5979 on: December 28, 2022, 05:03:14 AM »
Saw on this on the Instagram post about NFG going down:

Not sure if this means NFG isn't getting rid of anything or if just she wouldn't be the one selling.

Would be sick to see Loophole continue to use the molds and formulas somehow.

I prefer Formula 4s slightly but NFG stuff was on almost that same level to me. Plus it was nice to support a little manufacturer.

Maybe NFG is going away to try their hand at being another Creative Urethane alternative - an OEM maker for other brands. Or maybe they think this is just temporary.

More likely than that is that, in fifteen years, the molds end up for sale on Craigslist and then scrapped.

As for NFG wheels, I thought they were good. Better than any of the generic wheels out there, but not as good as Bones or Spitfire. I still have two pairs, I’ll probably post them up for trade in the classified section because I’ll likely never skate them and you all seem like you’re going to miss them.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 01:27:31 PM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5980 on: December 28, 2022, 12:17:35 PM »

image sharing

Hey young world look out. I'm going to do a 4 wheel slide that breaks the sound barrier

Be ready for an honest review. I'm out.

Much love to all the shoes and gear pals in the entire universe. If my plan works out I'll see you in .0006 seconds so get your shoes on now ok.

We got curbs to chomp
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5981 on: December 28, 2022, 04:42:18 PM »
Not that fast so far.
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5982 on: December 28, 2022, 05:13:57 PM »
Not that fast so far.

It's going to depend on the terrain...they are 93s after all; also, no one, anywhere, has ever said they were fast; if anyone buying is thinking they're getting a fast wheel, they've not been following the plethora of feedback on this forum/in this thread (or elsewhere around the net), just sayin'...

58 dragons on shit pavement will, however, be faster than any 99a+ wheel tho...

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #5983 on: December 28, 2022, 07:17:09 PM »
Really bummed to hear about NFG been skating Loops since they came out, really liked their teardrop shape
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5984 on: December 29, 2022, 06:02:56 AM »
Has anyone tried the powell g-slides? Think they’ve been around a couple years but just stumbled across them now.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5985 on: December 29, 2022, 07:48:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Not that fast so far.
[close]

It's going to depend on the terrain...they are 93s after all; also, no one, anywhere, has ever said they were fast; if anyone buying is thinking they're getting a fast wheel, they've not been following the plethora of feedback on this forum/in this thread (or elsewhere around the net), just sayin'...

58 dragons on shit pavement will, however, be faster than any 99a+ wheel tho...

I definitely should have copped the g bones. I think an extra 6mm would have gotten me to the speed I need.  I am stoked tho. This wheels shape is so good. They bark too. I was worried about that. It's a nice sound. I'm getting ready to go to the diy on the way to the graffiti shop that has the worst ground around.

In like 2 weeks I'll know everything probably.

So far it's fun af
(A)pl(E)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #5986 on: December 29, 2022, 08:24:16 AM »
Has anyone tried the powell g-slides? Think they’ve been around a couple years but just stumbled across them now.

Yeah, I’ve had a couple sets. They slide ok for the first session or two and then they get grippy like any other cruiser wheel. The bombers work way better as a soft cruiser wheel that slides (for power slides, not good for ledge trucks)

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5987 on: December 29, 2022, 10:44:21 AM »
1 session in and so far I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Bones X formula. I have the 56 V6 shape in both the dragons and x formula and to me they feel pretty similar. The only difference I found was the x formula were definitely faster and roll through crusty about 90% as good as the dragons. Also, idk if it's just the first sesh but the dragons actually broke into slides easier which was a little surprising. My disappointment comes from there not really that much of a difference between the two wheels. Overall they're not bad but I was hoping they'd be a little harder feeling and have a little better slide. They're fun for a secondary setup but I think I'm just gonna stick to spitfire f4 97's on my main board.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #5988 on: December 29, 2022, 12:15:39 PM »
1 session in and so far I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Bones X formula. I have the 56 V6 shape in both the dragons and x formula and to me they feel pretty similar. The only difference I found was the x formula were definitely faster and roll through crusty about 90% as good as the dragons. Also, idk if it's just the first sesh but the dragons actually broke into slides easier which was a little surprising. My disappointment comes from there not really that much of a difference between the two wheels. Overall they're not bad but I was hoping they'd be a little harder feeling and have a little better slide. They're fun for a secondary setup but I think I'm just gonna stick to spitfire f4 97's on my main board.

Have you ridden them in a smooth park yet? The general consensus is that dragons aren’t good in parks/bowls. I’m wondering if maybe the Bones X formula might do better since it’s harder and faster?

minilogoflow

« Reply #5989 on: December 29, 2022, 03:59:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you ridden them in a smooth park yet? The general consensus is that dragons aren’t good in parks/bowls. I’m wondering if maybe the Bones X formula might do better since it’s harder and faster?

That's exactly where I skated them. I took a mid skate session mission to 7/11 and the chunky streets around the park as well. My local is really smooth and the x formula are definitely faster than the dragons but they still grip just a little too much. These were brand new out of the package so I thought they'd be a little slick but they did the opposite and gripped too much. I'm thinking I need to wear off that first layer of urethane so I'll definitely give them another shot there after they break in more. The one thing that did impress me was they rode over crusty ground pretty much as well as the dragons do, maybe a small amount more vibration.
I think these wheels definitely have a purpose in the streets much like the dragons but I do 95% of my skating at the local park and the spitfire 97 just work better for me there. Overall they're great but my expectations were a little let down seeing as the 2 wheels are so similar.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5990 on: December 29, 2022, 04:15:05 PM »
Beware Wet black top on new dragons.

I just did a 20-30' backside slider dragging my fingertips because some kook ass yuppies went to go gadget jersey barrier in front the exit of the parking garage. Trying to flex they security guard muscle on a mofo. Street was empty

A young on looker shouted AWESOME SPEED or something. Distraction needed to let it go with just some words.

Stupid fucking tourists tried to kill my ass. I was definitely heated but I chilled it
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5991 on: December 29, 2022, 04:41:49 PM »
fixed sorry about the quadruple post. my phone is pissed at me or something
(A)pl(E)

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5992 on: December 29, 2022, 11:54:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I’ve had a couple sets. They slide ok for the first session or two and then they get grippy like any other cruiser wheel. The bombers work way better as a soft cruiser wheel that slides (for power slides, not good for ledge trucks)

Thanks for the heads up on them, was hoping they were going to slide on curbs etc but will keep an eye out for something else.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5993 on: December 30, 2022, 05:25:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's exactly where I skated them. I took a mid skate session mission to 7/11 and the chunky streets around the park as well. My local is really smooth and the x formula are definitely faster than the dragons but they still grip just a little too much. These were brand new out of the package so I thought they'd be a little slick but they did the opposite and gripped too much. I'm thinking I need to wear off that first layer of urethane so I'll definitely give them another shot there after they break in more. The one thing that did impress me was they rode over crusty ground pretty much as well as the dragons do, maybe a small amount more vibration.
I think these wheels definitely have a purpose in the streets much like the dragons but I do 95% of my skating at the local park and the spitfire 97 just work better for me there. Overall they're great but my expectations were a little let down seeing as the 2 wheels are so similar.

That's confusing because it seemed (from ben degros video and slap posts) like even the dragons slide much better than spit 97a? What's your experience, are your spits sliding better?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5994 on: December 30, 2022, 09:21:31 AM »
Beware Wet black top on new dragons.

I just did a 20-30' backside slider dragging my fingertips because some kook ass yuppies went to go gadget jersey barrier in front the exit of the parking garage. Trying to flex they security guard muscle on a mofo. Street was empty

A young on looker shouted AWESOME SPEED or something. Distraction needed to let it go with just some words.

Stupid fucking tourists tried to kill my ass. I was definitely heated but I chilled it

Sounds like that would have been a glorious death.

minilogoflow

« Reply #5995 on: December 30, 2022, 02:57:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That's confusing because it seemed (from ben degros video and slap posts) like even the dragons slide much better than spit 97a? What's your experience, are your spits sliding better?

For me the spitfire 97 feel more like a normal f4 wheel that have a little extra grip and the dragons/x formula feel like a cruiser wheel you can do tricks on. Another thing I didn't mention was the spits are faster than the dragons/x formula on smooth ground imo. The slide on the dragons is very nice on the smooth ground at my local but it's harder to get into the slide than on crusty/imperfect ground. The spits on the other hand go into slides easier but feel less controlled when you're sliding. I see the difference between them as kinda similar to the round rail vs square rail debate ex: The dragons are a square rail, easier to lock in but less room for adjusting where as spit 97's are the round rail where it's scarier to get in but you have more maneuverability. I just prefer the ease of getting into the slide on the spits rather than the locked in feeling of the dragons/formula at my local. However if it's an actual street spot or something crusty the dragons/x formula are way better than the spits on that terrain.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #5996 on: December 30, 2022, 08:35:55 PM »
^^^
Interesting. Almost everyone else I’ve heard talk about them (and my own experience on the prototypes) is that they slide better on rougher ground.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

beepbeep

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5997 on: December 31, 2022, 08:49:02 AM »
^^^
Interesting. Almost everyone else I’ve heard talk about them (and my own experience on the prototypes) is that they slide better on rougher ground.

That was my experience, caught me off guard, almost slid out on rougher asphalt just carving hard the first few times.

minilogoflow

« Reply #5998 on: December 31, 2022, 01:02:03 PM »
^^^

I also rode some of the prototypes and that's definitely the case with the dragon/x formula and what makes those wheels special. On rougher ground the dragons/x just roll over everything and slide amazing. If I skated actual street spots more often and had to cruise around more the dragons would be all I skate. It really doesn't make sense how they perform so well on rough ground.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #5999 on: December 31, 2022, 01:08:33 PM »
Apparently Spitfire is coming out with a new formula soon, planned for spring/summer 2023

from what I heard from my friend and DLX its called something like the "nutter" or "dutter" formula and its meant to be something similar to an OJ super juice 78A

not my kind of wheel but i see the growing market, and spitfire has really bad cruiser wheels as of current (cored 80HD chargers)