Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 786136 times)

minilogoflow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6090 on: January 17, 2023, 10:22:08 AM »
I posted a little while back that I was unimpressed with X Formula but chalked it up to trying to break them in at smooth park. After cruising around on them and wearing off that first layer they're way better now. For some reason they were stickier than the dragons at first but now that they're broken in they slide great. The other observations I had about them (faster than dragons/about the same ability to ride and slide over crusty ground) are still holding true but with the slide unlocked now these things are what I was hoping they'd be: a harder and faster feeling dragon formula.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6091 on: January 17, 2023, 10:39:13 AM »
I’m still on x97s (since launch), after dragons since their launch, with a week stint back on 99a spits…

As a marketing bullet point the whole “skate longer” came across as bullshit, but for me, I really can skate longer per session with the dragons/x97s before my legs become fatigued…they’re like cupsoles for your board.

Agree on the slide; I didn’t like the dragons slide all that much but the x97s felt better out of the gate but broke in whereas the dragons just feel the same new or with mileage.

The only drawback to the x97s is they feel a tad slow in smooth park (bowls), still 100% serviceable tho, they grip well. I still prefer SPF or OJ elite for those situations (spf being slicker, OJs grippier).

The real magic is spot to spot skating, and the spots they open up. If you can get over yourself about what you think you should ride they might be perfect for you.

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #6092 on: January 17, 2023, 12:51:10 PM »
So I got these 92a Dial Tone Mfg wheels for indoor season and it was a nice surprise seeing they had plastic cores to alleviate bearings slipping out, but wtf is up with the way these are cut? the one side has a lip that's higher than the rest of the wheel and a straighter cut on the side with no graphic, plus treading on the non-graphic side which is bizarre. Google images shows these are cut like this intentionally so it doesn't appear to be a defect. Thoughts?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6093 on: January 17, 2023, 12:52:50 PM »
Is every wheel like that/does the lip with the raise bit stay that size all the way down the side?

Looks like a sloppy run to me?

logjammin

« Reply #6094 on: January 17, 2023, 12:53:55 PM »
It's every wheel, yeah. When you google it all the wheels are cut like this.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #6095 on: January 17, 2023, 01:44:34 PM »
Seems like most people concur that the 97 x formula still drag on grinds on metal etc vs f4s. More like a dragon than a hard wheel in that regard. Was my experience with preproduction ones too.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6096 on: January 17, 2023, 02:23:55 PM »
For me they can’t be beat cruising my area and hitting spots at random (with maglites and a slick).

If I’m skating ledges or bars I.e. metal it’s usually park (or when I’d hit the courthouse with 99s) and I’m on 101s.

Right tool for the job.

I’d not recommend them for tech ledge plaza skaters or anyone that uses reverts often on smooth Crete.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 05:13:25 PM by Xen »

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6097 on: January 17, 2023, 03:32:32 PM »
So I got these 92a Dial Tone Mfg wheels for indoor season and it was a nice surprise seeing they had plastic cores to alleviate bearings slipping out, but wtf is up with the way these are cut? the one side has a lip that's higher than the rest of the wheel and a straighter cut on the side with no graphic, plus treading on the non-graphic side which is bizarre. Google images shows these are cut like this intentionally so it doesn't appear to be a defect. Thoughts?

That is a result of how they are manufactured. They mold one side of the wheel along with the riding surface and the bearing seat, and then they take it out of the mold and machine the other side

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6098 on: January 17, 2023, 04:49:06 PM »

Depending on how they skate, you might not even notice it, or if you do, maybe one good session doing quite a few carvy turns on moderately rough ground might take that edge off.

Either that or my trusty angle grinder just to take the inside edge down a bit, but ever so gently because soft wheels usually wear way faster than harder wheels when working on them like that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Jacob DeGrosso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #6099 on: January 17, 2023, 05:03:08 PM »
My NFG 95a squares had the ridge like those dialtones but not as pronounced. Kinda sloppy not to clean that up after pulling from the mold but wears off flat quick enough.

logjammin

« Reply #6100 on: January 18, 2023, 06:05:36 AM »
Thanks fellas. Yeah it finally stopped raining so i'll take some breaks from work today and wear em down outside. That was the plan but just wanted some input from some pals. Cheers.

elegant_fox

« Reply #6101 on: January 18, 2023, 11:08:38 AM »
Here's how the 60mm Rat Bones with the Dragon formula fit on indy 169s with the 9.05 flight deck. They stick out more than the P5 shapes, those are tucked under the board rail. The Rat Bones seem to be out by 1/16th or so. It's a monster wheel for sure and it's wildly faster than the 88a Alva conicals I'm usually cruising on. It feels like how 84b SPF rides on smooth concrete, but on asphalt.

I'm recovering from a rib injury, but I'm really curious to see how these stack up against the 84bs in the park. I'm sure it'll be slower, but to what degree is what I'll find out. For now, this is a great ATV.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 06:07:37 PM by elegant_fox »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6102 on: January 18, 2023, 06:00:31 PM »
Here's how the 60mm Rat Bones with the Dragon formula fit on indy 169s with the 9.05 flight deck. They stick out more than the P5 shapes for sure, those are tucked under the board rail. The Rat Bones seem to be out by 1/16th or so. It's a monster wheel for sure and it's wildly faster than the 88a Alva conicals I'm usually cruising on. It feels like how 84b SPF rides on smooth concrete, but on asphalt.

I'm recovering from a rib injury, but I'm really curious to see how these stack up against the 84bs in the park. I'm sure it'll be slower, but to what degree is what I'll find out. For now, this is a great ATV.

Nice pics!

They sure do sit out a bit.

I find they fit really well on some old school type 10" boards on 169s, where other wheels would sit in too much.

In the same way Mini Cubic wheels can be put on 139 trucks and still fit on the same 10" boards.

Depending on your needs, some 149 or 159s would make them work nicely on a not so wide board like the one you have there, but they would still skate fine on that set up.  Just make sure when you push, you keep your feet away from the wider wheel path.

Been collected there before.

Anyway, those wheels in that size will be super smooth and good for (almost) everything - going fast, not slipping out, even sliding when you push it enough.

elegant_fox

« Reply #6103 on: January 18, 2023, 07:32:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Here's how the 60mm Rat Bones with the Dragon formula fit on indy 169s with the 9.05 flight deck. They stick out more than the P5 shapes for sure, those are tucked under the board rail. The Rat Bones seem to be out by 1/16th or so. It's a monster wheel for sure and it's wildly faster than the 88a Alva conicals I'm usually cruising on. It feels like how 84b SPF rides on smooth concrete, but on asphalt.

[close]

Nice pics!

They sure do sit out a bit.

I find they fit really well on some old school type 10" boards on 169s, where other wheels would sit in too much.

In the same way Mini Cubic wheels can be put on 139 trucks and still fit on the same 10" boards.

Depending on your needs, some 149 or 159s would make them work nicely on a not so wide board like the one you have there, but they would still skate fine on that set up.  Just make sure when you push, you keep your feet away from the wider wheel path.

Been collected there before.

Anyway, those wheels in that size will be super smooth and good for (almost) everything - going fast, not slipping out, even sliding when you push it enough.

Ah, that makes sense now, I can definitely see them fitting shaped decks with wheel wells better. I had read they slimmed down the profile with the Dragon formula version, but it's still a wide outset.

Bruiser603

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6104 on: January 20, 2023, 05:37:28 AM »
I’m still on x97s (since launch), after dragons since their launch, with a week stint back on 99a spits…

As a marketing bullet point the whole “skate longer” came across as bullshit, but for me, I really can skate longer per session with the dragons/x97s before my legs become fatigued…they’re like cupsoles for your board.

I've had the exact same experience and totally agree.  I love my 58 mm 99a Og classics, but I can't skate as long and I end up agitating recurring injuries when I skate them (Certain joints can't handle impacts for long anymore).  I hate having to mostly retire the 99's in order to skate, but if I want to skate for as long as possible, I have to use these newer high rebound formula's.

IpathCats

« Reply #6105 on: January 20, 2023, 05:40:35 AM »
Does anyone else have a hard time with F4 because they look gross?  I’ve historically been bothered by nasty old yellow wheels, and f4 kinda look that way from the get go.

As with most things, I prefer them natural.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #6106 on: January 20, 2023, 08:17:57 AM »
What’s the Powell equivalent to a 54mm conical full in this formula?

How are they on transition?

Fucks sake... gear madness, probably don’t need another wheel man

I got Bones STF 99a V6 Ben Koppl 54mm on a sale. They’re really good for my use.
The V6 is the widest conical wheel they offer, and it basically has a wider patch than my 57 mm spit radials.
As for how they skate, at tricks I wouldn’t know as I’ve hardly learned any yet. They’re stickier than F4 99a, and I see that as a positive. I skate a dusty indoor concrete/plywood.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #6107 on: January 20, 2023, 08:51:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I got Bones STF 99a V6 Ben Koppl 54mm on a sale. They’re really good for my use.
The V6 is the widest conical wheel they offer, and it basically has a wider patch than my 57 mm spit radials.
As for how they skate, at tricks I wouldn’t know as I’ve hardly learned any yet. They’re stickier than F4 99a, and I see that as a positive. I skate a dusty indoor concrete/plywood.

The issue I have with them is that they stick... until they don't. They have such a small margin of error between sticking and completely ice-cube sliding out.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Creachteach

« Reply #6108 on: January 20, 2023, 10:29:30 PM »
Here's how the 60mm Rat Bones with the Dragon formula fit on indy 169s with the 9.05 flight deck. They stick out more than the P5 shapes, those are tucked under the board rail. The Rat Bones seem to be out by 1/16th or so. It's a monster wheel for sure and it's wildly faster than the 88a Alva conicals I'm usually cruising on. It feels like how 84b SPF rides on smooth concrete, but on asphalt.

That’s a sick setup if I ever saw one  :)

Creachteach

« Reply #6109 on: January 20, 2023, 10:36:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The issue I have with them is that they stick... until they don't. They have such a small margin of error between sticking and completely ice-cube sliding out.

Ive only heard that about the hard SPFs. I haven’t experienced them suddenly losing grip, but I don’t go that hard. Mostly mini ramps and small quarters. Lil bowl now and then.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6110 on: January 21, 2023, 11:48:30 AM »
SPFs are super glassy at smooth parks, if they break free watch out.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 52
« Reply #6111 on: January 21, 2023, 09:47:31 PM »

I thought SPFs are supposed to stick pretty well for such a hard wheel - especially on smooth concrete?

I've just bought my first set of 58mm 84b after hearing they were the gold standard for a transition wheel.
I haven't tried them at the park yet but rolling around they feel super hard and fast. My usual is 99a OJ Elite Hardline and even they feel a bit slippery at times for me...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6112 on: January 21, 2023, 11:40:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought SPFs are supposed to stick pretty well for such a hard wheel - especially on smooth concrete?

I've just bought my first set of 58mm 84b after hearing they were the gold standard for a transition wheel.
I haven't tried them at the park yet but rolling around they feel super hard and fast. My usual is 99a OJ Elite Hardline and even they feel a bit slippery at times for me...

There definitely seem to be better overall properties with Bones SPF and Spitfire Formula Four over pretty much every other brand wheel on the market, but that shouldn't stop anyone from experiencing it for themselves, or making their own mind up on what works best for them.

At least having a wheels thread for everything is better than just a Bones vs Spitfire thread, where I think the arguments for or against are very personal, depending on past experiences.

The older USA made ever so slightly milky looking OJ Elite wheels in any size or shape were a totally different feel to the newer very plasticy white looking OJ Elite wheels, which feel harder and are more slippery, but I get why they changed the formula as the older ones were a bit grippy and did tend to flatspot a bit more quickly too.

I know some people that love the old ones and others that swear by the newer ones, so again, it is down to what the person prefers.

I do think you will find the Bones wheels a step up from the OJs though.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #6113 on: January 22, 2023, 09:20:12 AM »
SPFs felt so insanely weird to me, they felt very slidey and very grippy at the same time.

Unfortunately on street, it feels like a average wheel (no surprise) so its applications are limited if you don't want multiple setups.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #6114 on: January 22, 2023, 09:50:56 AM »
I'd only ever go back to bones SPF for skating transition if they stopped making Spitfire f4 99. I'm sure the bones SPF are better than anything other than the f4s, but the difference between them and f4s in a big bowl is huge. I had so many slams riding SPFs, like coming out of a carve hauling ass and lose traction. Never happens with spitfire f4s. I was a very late adapter to f4s too
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6115 on: January 22, 2023, 10:21:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are very grippy, but they can break free real easy (I know, that sounds dumb as I said they're grippy but it's true). OJ elites, which I’d pick over SPF every time for slick bowls, are super hard, fast and grippy without having the fear of breaking free and eating shit.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 04:00:40 PM by Xen »

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6116 on: January 22, 2023, 12:05:37 PM »
Agreed on all accounts on the SPFs. They're too much for me. I don't skate bowls that often but slipping out in the deep end is a nightmare.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #6117 on: January 22, 2023, 12:27:56 PM »
What about the softer 81b SPFs?  I've never heard anybody talk about them

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6118 on: January 22, 2023, 03:32:36 PM »

The 81b vs 84b are still almost exactly the same feel of wheel, think maybe a very slight difference between Formula Four 99 to 101, but definitely not any less than that, certainly not 97 or anything in that type of duro, when comparing, even though they are totally different scale / urethane.

The (almost) pro level vert dudes were all over the Bones SPF in both the 81b and 84b wheels, but to me both felt very slippery when compared to my usual softer duro Spitfire wheels or even to some degree my usual big wide Formula Four 99 duro wheels on the places they skated them - vert ramps and big new / painted bowls.

Either way, I am Spitfire and mostly Formula Four over everything else, but I know a lot of others say the Bones wheels last longer and prefer them over anything else, for the sort of skating that they do and those guys are miles ahead in ability so it is not like myself or a couple of older guys barely even making coping on these bigger ramps or bowls.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #6119 on: January 22, 2023, 08:33:04 PM »

They’re still super hard and fast with just the slightest bit more grip. They feel pretty much the same as the 84b SPFs